PDA

View Full Version : Taboo Food

Siebenbürgerin
Sunday, July 5th, 2009, 04:34 PM
I've seen a documentary about foods that are taboo. Things we don't usually eat in our culture, but other cultures do, like dogs, cats, insects from worms to tarantulas, reptiles like crocodiles and snakes and more.

There is a yearly taboo dinner in the USA at a prestigious hotel where celebrities and rich peoples come to try the taboo food. Would you go to such an event? Would you eat taboo food?

Patrioten
Sunday, July 5th, 2009, 05:07 PM
I wouldn't mind trying exotic meats like crocodile but I wouldn't knowingly eat cat or dog meat or insects simply because it looks disgusting.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/31/Dog_meat.jpg

Dog meat just looks horrid, not to mention the creepy crawlers that pass for food over there in Asia.

Nachtengel
Sunday, July 5th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Yuck, no. I bet these celebrities and rich people who go to those dinners only do it for attention, and puke everything when the camera isn't on.

SpearBrave
Sunday, July 5th, 2009, 07:39 PM
I would eat some of those things if I was starving only. I think the celedrities are taboo themselves.:D

Alizon Device
Sunday, July 5th, 2009, 07:51 PM
I would never eat cats, and I think I would sooner starve than eat dogs, too.

Most other things I would probably try to swallow if I had no choice.
The most unusual thing I ever ate was probably sausages made from kangaroo meat, but I didn't really enjoy them, although they tasted okay. I remember watching 'Skippy the Bush Kangaroo' as a small child and I guess that childhood affection stayed lodged somewhere in my subconscious.

I really like seafood, especially shellfish, but I believe eating such things is classed as unacceptable as eating insects in certain cultures.

Siebenbürgerin
Sunday, July 5th, 2009, 07:59 PM
The insects it's said they contain many times more protein than meats. But we don't eat them because of the disgusting look, and because some are associated with insalubrity, disease or poison. I saw some peoples even ate scorpions.

But if you watch the shows about survival, in nature when you find no other food, you've to eat insects, disgusting things like worms too, if nothing else is available.

The most taboo thing is cannibalism. Many animals practice cannibalism and eat their dead but it's also practiced by some primitivistic cultures in the jungle. But some peoples were stranded on a rubber raft in the ocean, for days, without food and water, and one of them died. The remaining ones considered eating her meat to survive. The reason they didn't do it was because she died of many infections, and they didn't want to risk contamination. Otherwise I don't know what would have happened. :|

Alizon Device
Sunday, July 5th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Did you hear about the famous British TV chef who filmed a programme in which he was making the food for a child's christening?
The 'high point' of the meal was the child's placenta, fried with shallots and garlic. :-O
Many people complained about this broadcast.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/101944.stm

Would this be classed as cannibalism? In my opinion, yes.

Siebenbürgerin
Sunday, July 5th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Did you hear about the famous British TV chef who filmed a programme in which he was making the food for a child's christening?
The 'high point' of the meal was the child's placenta, fried with shallots and garlic. :-O
Many people complained about this broadcast.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/101944.stm

Would this be classed as cannibalism? In my opinion, yes.
I've not heard of this before. :|
Yes in my view it's cannibalism too. Because cannibalism means eating your own kind, so eating any part of the human body is cannibalism.

Bärin
Sunday, July 5th, 2009, 08:26 PM
No I wouldn't eat it, especially dog or cat. I have a dog as my pet, ffs. How do these Koreans or whatever Asian people who eat dogs do it? They keep them as pets, play ball and walk them in the park, and then prepare them for dinner? Totally savage, disgusting habit. :thumbdown

Siebenbürgerin
Sunday, July 5th, 2009, 08:35 PM
No I wouldn't eat it, especially dog or cat. I have a dog as my pet, ffs. How do these Koreans or whatever Asian people who eat dogs do it? They keep them as pets, play ball and walk them in the park, and then prepare them for dinner? Totally savage, disgusting habit. :thumbdown
They make a difference between company animals (pets), and animals bred for food. The dogs are bred for food in batteries, like cattle or chicken are bred in European countries. The pets aren't killed for food, only the ones bred especially for that.

Neophyte
Sunday, July 5th, 2009, 09:04 PM

Not really. My mother has told me about how she and her siblings used to play with the rabbits on the farm where she grew up, and then eat them for sunday dinner. People who have grown up in a traditional farm setting have different attitudes towards animans than city people.

Siebenbürgerin
Sunday, July 5th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Not really. My mother has told me about how she and her siblings used to play with the rabbits on the farm where she grew up, and then eat them for sunday dinner. People who have grown up in a traditional farm setting have different attitudes towards animans than city people.
Traditional farmers don't treat the animals like pets. Indeed they play with them, make sure they've the right conditions and treat them well, but they don't consider them pets. There are some exceptions when children get very attached to a pig or duck and make it their pet, and they refuse to eat the meat. In typical farms, even the dog sleeps outside, to guard the house, not in the bed with the owner.

Neophyte
Sunday, July 5th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Traditional farmers don't treat the animals like pets. Indeed they play with them, make sure they've the right conditions and treat them well, but they don't consider them pets. There are some exceptions when children get very attached to a pig or duck and make it their pet, and they refuse to eat the meat. In typical farms, even the dog sleeps outside, to guard the house, not in the bed with the owner.

I was making a specific example with rabbits, there the lines might blur somewhat. Rabbits have a certain pet-friendly format, cows and pigs don't.

Siebenbürgerin
Sunday, July 5th, 2009, 09:29 PM
I was making a specific example with rabbits, there the lines might blur somewhat. Rabbits have a certain pet-friendly format, cows and pigs don't.
Hmm, that depends on who you ask. There are some peoples who find pigs cute enough to make pets and treat them as their dog, keep them in the house.

http://www.oneinchpunch.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/pig2.jpg

But as I've said, playing with animals like rabbits on a farm and considering them pets is little bit a different. Children will play with almost any animal, cows and pigs included. But a pet isn't killed, it has the usefulness of a company animal. A pet isn't bred for the meat as a farm animal. I'm saying there's a difference between pets (raised specifically for company) and livestock (raised specifically for food or profit). That's how it's in the countries which eat animals like dogs and cats too. The dog which is kept in the house and sleeps with the owner won't be consumed for food.

Sturmbaon
Sunday, July 5th, 2009, 09:42 PM
I wouldn't eat neither the foods mentioned above, nor the kosher (shechita/ ritually slaughtered) food.:|

Matrix
Sunday, July 5th, 2009, 09:42 PM
I wouldn't mind trying exotic meats like crocodile but I wouldn't knowingly eat cat or dog meat or insects simply because it looks disgusting.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/31/Dog_meat.jpg

Dog meat just looks horrid, not to mention the creepy crawlers that pass for food over there in Asia.
This looks like a bad case of cooking. It wouldn't look any less disgusting if the head was of a pig or cow.

I think this looks disgusting too:

http://www.hobotraveler.com/blogphotos01/206-09-pig-roast-tupi-philippines.jpg

Prepared properly, dog food looks like other meat:

http://www.loupiote.com/photos_m/78636551-thit-cho-dog-meat-cooking-wok-dog-ch%C3%B3-vietnam.jpg

http://beijingcityblues.com/images/thumbs/dog%20meat.jpg

I wouldn't try it because it's not normal, then again Icelanders do eat some things which seem exotic and gross out Europeans.

Patrioten
Sunday, July 5th, 2009, 09:47 PM
The most taboo thing is cannibalism. Many animals practice cannibalism and eat their dead but it's also practiced by some primitivistic cultures in the jungle. But some peoples were stranded on a rubber raft in the ocean, for days, without food and water, and one of them died. The remaining ones considered eating her meat to survive. The reason they didn't do it was because she died of many infections, and they didn't want to risk contamination. Otherwise I don't know what would have happened. :|In the part of Finland where one of my ancestors later moved the harvests were destroyed by frost in the years 1695 and 1696 and the subsequent starvation lead to many children becoming orphans, the parents probably tried to keep their children alive by giving them what little food they had and therefor were the first to die. They had tried to survive by eating the bark off of trees and made bread from straw as well as a drink made from juniper berries but it wasn't enough. Once their parents had died the children apparently turned to cannibalism and they later died from diseases because of this. This according to contemporary church records.

ladybright
Sunday, July 5th, 2009, 09:48 PM
I have eaten snake and crocodile(or maybe it was alligator) and they were fine if a little odd textured. Most people I know here are icked out at my enjoying black/blood pudding. I like shellfish, squid and eel which are all taboo to some. I will not eat shellfish/fish unless they are super fresh.

I would not eat horse, cat or dog unless I needed to for survival. I would be more comfortable eating insects and unusual animals like rats, raccoons than a cat.

I would have no problem eating lama or camel it was appropriate. I would not have them in the US or Europe in normal circumstances.

I have read enough field and survival guides that I think I could eat what I have to. I do not know what I would do if I were on an airplane that crashed on a mountain.

Patrioten
Sunday, July 5th, 2009, 10:03 PM
I have eaten snake and crocodile(or maybe it was alligator) and they were fine if a little odd textured. Most people I know here are icked out at my enjoying black/blood pudding. I like shellfish, squid and eel which are all taboo to some. I will not eat shellfish/fish unless they are super fresh.Blodpudding is tasty food for any Swede ;), in fact I'll be having it for dinner some day this coming week. I will also enjoy pölsa which is like a mince made from various intestinal parts like cow's heart and lung and pig liver, the brand I'll be having even contains beef tendons according to the package. I'm not squeamish about eating intestinal parts from cows or pigs as part of a dish like pölsa but I wouldn't eat them separately. I've eaten boiled pig's tongue a few times but it's not something I enjoy, the texture with the taste buds and everything is too weird.

Pölsa:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/72/P%C3%B6lsa.jpg/800px-P%C3%B6lsa.jpg

I would not eat horse, cat or dog unless I needed to for survival. I would be more comfortable eating insects and unusual animals like rats, raccoons than a cat.I've eaten horse as part of a processed meat product such as falukorv or Russian salami and it doesn't bother me, to me it's just another meat.

By the way, does anyone here enjoy eating liver of beef? It's one of those traditional foods which I will never learn to like, both the taste and the texture makes it almost impossible to swallow.

ladybright
Sunday, July 5th, 2009, 10:48 PM
For me horses are not as dear as cats and dogs but are work/companion animals not work/food animals.

I think beef liver is OK but not great. I used to have a good source for calf liver and liked that with bacon, onions and mushrooms.

I am OK with organs and viscera of pigs, cows, sheep. I am not interested brain or mountain oysters.

SpearBrave
Sunday, July 5th, 2009, 11:15 PM
I have been around farms most of my life and sometimes the younger children do get attached to some of the animals. When the time comes to butcher and eat that animal they protest a little, but it makes them stronger in the end.
One of my friends would kill and eat almost anything that walked,swam, or crawled. He raised chicken for his own eggs when one of his chickens quit laying eggs I had to come over and put it down for him. I guess some people can get attached to some animals.

Alizon Device
Sunday, July 5th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Most people I know here are icked out at my enjoying black/blood pudding.
I agree! I've eaten 'black pudding' from a very early age! My dad would prepare the greatest English fried breakfast you could imagine; black pudding was an integral part (just don't dwell on the ingredients :D)

http://webster.misterwhite.info/staff/docs/blackpuddingDM_228x304.jpg

Sigurd
Sunday, July 5th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Taboo foods are only taboo foods outwith the culture in which they are consumed. For example, as we all know, pork is one of the most common meats where we come from, but it grosses the Muslims and Jews out. ;)

There's numerous foods even I as a known gourmet would not consume, these include dog meat or cat meat. They are animals our culture considers primarily as pets and thus companions rather than agricultural animals of any description, there is a certain boundary thus.

Seafood is not an issue for me, most uses of our domesticated animals (Oxtongue is excellent, as is Haggis! :thumbup) pose no problem either, generally I'll eat any meat as long as it is good and filling.

I suppose I'd extend that to horse meat and donkey meat of some description, but qualified. Perhaps not something I'd eat if served on a plate, as they're considered more of carrying-animals, even pets, and thus there's a bit of a boundary which you wouldn't step across. On the other hand - good salami's good salami, and this culinary use is culturally accepted ... I'm sorry. :shrug

Rabbit meat's a difficult one. There's a tradition in our cultural sphere of eating rabbit meat, but I suppose answering that question becomes a moot point, there's so little meat on an actual rabbit that I won't want to go near it anyhow. :D

Renwein
Monday, July 6th, 2009, 12:28 AM
I already eat taboo food, Pig and Cow are taboo in Judaism/Islam and Hinduism respectivley :P

I've also eaten (mentioned in this thread) Squid, Black pudding (very nice) and haggis, I don't see anything disgusting about the ingredients for these either. I don't know why someone could fuss about eating rabbit (very nice) and it has plenty of meat for a meal (more than pigeon for eg.) and although I've never eaten squirrel I don't think it's a bad idea as some have suggested to introduce it to help reduce the population of greys, it's a ready food source :P. People used to have to eat everything in the 'good ol' days' when they were poorer, so there are lots of 'interesting' offal recipies about... it's also my belief that a lot of so called 'delicacies' (sheeps balls, chicken's bunghole, rotten shark and so on) were really only called so to try and make people eat the gross bits :P

I suppose, I would eat most things, I guess the 'worst' thing i've eaten is Veal (I didn't buy it though!) and I wouldn't mind trying some of those insect dishes, just to see what it's like (chocolate-dipped ants might be nice too :yumyum)

Stygian Cellarius
Monday, July 6th, 2009, 04:03 AM
I wouldn't eat Cat or Dog, but I'd eat just about anything else. Insects are delicious! Many people eat Crabs and Shrimp and they are nothing more than insects of the Sea. So their protest of Insectivorism doesn't make a lot of sense IMO (although I understand the psychology behind it).
I've eaten rabbit, frog, alligator, lizard, crayfish and salamander tails before. None which I found repulsive. Insects are my favorite of all taboo foods though. Lately I've been very curious as to how brain tastes. If I get an opportunity, I will certainly sit down to a dish.

Siebenbürgerin
Monday, July 6th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Taboo foods are only taboo foods outwith the culture in which they are consumed. For example, as we all know, pork is one of the most common meats where we come from, but it grosses the Muslims and Jews out. ;)
Naturally, this theme is about taboo foods from your culture's view, not from the Jewish or Muslim culture. It would be senseless then because Europeans eat pork as a normal meat, and other things which a re taboo to other cultures.

Many people eat Crabs and Shrimp and they are nothing more than insects of the Sea. So their protest of Insectivorism doesn't make a lot of sense IMO (although I understand the psychology behind it).
It's not only the psychology. Insects are very varied, and vary in the taste. For example at the taboo dinner the cooks had to inject some insects with soy sauce, because they didn't have any taste. Someone who likes chicken won't necessarily like duck, turkey, goose, pigeon or other kinds of birds, just because they're birds. Same happens with eating fish. Some kinds of fish are more popular than others. It makes a lot of sense in my view, because what we eat is connected to taste. If something tastes bad, it doesn't matter what it is, peoples don't eat it.

Blod og Jord
Monday, July 6th, 2009, 07:05 PM
I got lost in a forest once for a day,
and lost my backpack,
with the food and water,
so I ate ants and larvae,
which didn't taste good at all.
I did it because I saw it on TV.
The only thing I avoided was mushrooms,
because I was afraid of intoxication.
I probably would have survived without them,
but I was afraid of dying. :D
Another time I swallowed insects was accidental,
when I was eating an apple which looked healthy,
but I felt something gummy in my mouth which moved,
it was a worm!
So my answer is:
in a survival situation absolutely.
But otherwise no.
I like to enjoy food that tastes good. :)

Thusnelda
Monday, July 6th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Well, it depends. I´m in favour of our typical local Germanic and Bavarian cuisine so I guess I´m never endangered of eating any cats or dogs, for example.

I´m quite picky about the meat I consume. Generally I prefer eating meat of pigs, cows, chickens and venison over everything else. :)

On the other hand, I´d never eat seafood! I know the practise of eating seafood is very common with Germanic people who´re living at the seaside but it´s no part of our regional cuisine. The simple thought of eating mussels, crabs or shrimps disgusts me. For me, that´s also exotic cuisine...or taboo food.

Let me see, what kind of animals have I eaten in my life:

-Cows
-Pigs
-Chickens
-Turkeys
-Roes and Deers
-Rabbits ( one- two times a year)
-Ducks (same as above ;) )
-Chamois (seldom but very tasty)
-Fishs (very seldom)
-Sheeps (very seldom)
-Horses (a distant family member once served horse salami at a family gathering and I´ve eaten some bits without asking before. So it was accidentally. :( It wasn´t that bad but I wouldn´t buy it deliberately)

I wouldn´t eat cats/dogs, insects, reptiles and amphibious food like frogs under any circumstances. Okay, maybe to prevent dying of starvation, but that´s a completely other issue. Have you ever heard of that Uruguayan rugby team? Their plane crashed over the Andes in 1972 and they had to eat the meat of their dead comrades to survive!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uruguayan_Air_Force_Flight_571

"Even with this strict rationing, their food stock dwindled quickly. Furthermore, there was no natural vegetation or animals on the snow-covered mountain. The group thus survived by collectively making a decision to eat flesh from the bodies of their dead comrades. This decision was not taken lightly, as most were classmates or close friends. "

Ward
Tuesday, July 7th, 2009, 03:18 AM
On the other hand, I´d never eat seafood! I know the practise of eating seafood is very common with Germanic people who´re living at the seaside but it´s no part of our regional cuisine. The simple thought of eating mussels, crabs or shrimps disgusts me. For me, that´s also exotic cuisine...or taboo food.

You've never eaten anything from the sea, not even Tuna? Good seafood, especially crab, lobster, shrimp, etc. are one of the things that make life worth living for me. One time I ate thresher shark on a trip to California, and I gotta say it might be the best thing I've ever tasted.

I respect your devotion to all things Bavarian though. :) It must take a lot of will power to stay away from all the delicious cakes and pastries.

Have you ever heard of that Uruguayan rugby team? Their plane crashed over the Andes in 1972 and they had to eat the meat of their dead comrades to survive!http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uruguayan_Air_Force_Flight_571

A movie was made about that incident back in the nineties; it was called "Alive" if memory serves. It was a Hollywood movie, but it wasn't 1/2 bad actually.

Anyway, as for myself... is Polish sausage a taboo food here on Skadi? :P If so, forgive me for saying this but Polish sausage is my favorite kind of sausage. I love its spicy flavor.

As for eating dog meat, that's up there with cannibalism in my book. Dogs are truly man's best friend.

SpearBrave
Tuesday, July 7th, 2009, 04:13 AM
Some of the Negroes in the Southern U.S. eat opposum, I would never eat one they are the most discusting creature in North America.

SwordOfTheVistula
Tuesday, July 7th, 2009, 08:23 AM
In Japan I had raw bear, crickets, raw horsemeat, squid-on-a-stick, or sorts of fun stuff.

In New Orleans I had alligator in stew, in jerky, in everything

Rabbit and Veal I never knew was 'taboo'. Mmmh, memories of ordering veal parmesan from the local Italian restaurant on the company tab on days when we worked more than 12 hours :D

According to people I play computer games with who work in the industry, 'genetically modified' foods are considered 'taboo' in Europe. Probably a large portion of the foods I eat are 'genetically modified'.

I wouldn't eat neither the foods mentioned above, nor the kosher (shechita/ ritually slaughtered) food.:|

It tastes the same, as does halal. Actually, if you ever want good airline food, fly on an airline based out of one of the Persian Gulf countries.

Some of the Negroes in the Southern U.S. eat opposum, I would never eat one they are the most discusting creature in North America.

They eat raccoon too. I have never had either, along with 'grits' or whatever those weird animal parts black people eat are.

Thusnelda
Tuesday, July 7th, 2009, 08:37 PM
You've never eaten anything from the sea, not even Tuna? Good seafood, especially crab, lobster, shrimp, etc. are one of the things that make life worth living for me.
What´s Tuna? Well, I eat fish sometimes, but I don´t eat them on a regular basis or any other sea things besides fish.
The North sea and the Baltic sea are both around 600 km away from here, and the Mediterranean sea around 400 km. So seafood is just not common here. ;) It´s exotic for us. I think if you don´t grow up with crabs, lobsters and shrimps you´ll find them some kind of odd. Sure, some sweetwater fishs like carp, trout or pike are part of the local cuisine, but that´s no seafood.

I respect your devotion to all things Bavarian though. :) It must take a lot of will power to stay away from all the delicious cakes and pastries.
Why should I stay away from delicious cakes and pastries? :D I love them. Or are you talking about cakes and pastries which contain seafood? Never heard anything about that. Our pastries and cakes are sweet, with cream, jam or fruits.

Alizon Device
Tuesday, July 7th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Veal I never knew was 'taboo'.
It's not the meat that is so offensive; it's the disgusting way the young cows are treated in their very short lifetime.
http://www.all-creatures.org/articles/ar-return.html

I would never, ever eat it.

As for the South American plane crash victims, not only did they have to eat the flesh of their dead companions (starting with the firm buttocks, apparently), but they had to eat it raw and cold.

Having said that, it may have been more palatable that way, as food always has less taste the colder it is.

Ward
Tuesday, July 7th, 2009, 09:31 PM
What´s Tuna? Well, I eat fish sometimes, but I don´t eat them on a regular basis or any other sea things besides fish.
The North sea and the Baltic sea are both around 600 km away from here, and the Mediterranean sea around 400 km. So seafood is just not common here. ;) It´s exotic for us. I think if you don´t grow up with crabs, lobsters and shrimps you´ll find them some kind of odd. Sure, some sweetwater fishs like carp, trout or pike are part of the local cuisine, but that´s no seafood.

I could see how crabs and lobsters might be a little off-putting if you're not used to seeing them, but I tell ya, their meat is truly out of this world.

For some reason freshwater fish never really did much for me. They taste a lot different from sea fish to my taste buds anyway. However smoked trout is pretty tasty.

Why should I stay away from delicious cakes and pastries? :D I love them. Or are you talking about cakes and pastries which contain seafood? Never heard anything about that. Our pastries and cakes are sweet, with cream, jam or fruits.

Well, when I was in Munich I couldn't stop eating the local desserts, or drinking local beer for that matter! I imagine I might have had to buy some bigger pants if I stayed there much longer. :P

Anyway, it must be nice to live and have your roots in such a stunning and magnificent land like Bavaria, which is also so rich in culture. I get roughly half my genes from there, and I'm very proud of that. :)

Patrioten
Tuesday, July 7th, 2009, 10:10 PM
I enjoy most fish dishes but shellfish I can't eat, not even crawfish which are traditionally eaten in august here. I like the smell of boiled crawfish but I can't eat the meat, it's too chewy and weird. And don't get me started on mussles and oysters, why anyone would eat those voluntarily is beyond me :P. I'm basically a meat and potatoes kind of guy, I'm quite reserved (one might even say conservative ;)) when it comes to texture and taste.

Siebenbürgerin
Tuesday, July 7th, 2009, 10:14 PM
The Black Sea is hundreds of kilometers away from my region, so I'm also not used to having seafood as part of my ordinary diet. I'm not considering it taboo food, but it's a little bit exotic for me. When I go to the seaside, which is very rarely, I eat seafood. But it can be found in the supermarkets too. I tried some a few times, but the taste is different, maybe due to the freshness difference.

Sigurd
Wednesday, July 8th, 2009, 01:39 PM
It's not the meat that is so offensive; it's the disgusting way the young cows are treated in their very short lifetime.
http://www.all-creatures.org/articles/ar-return.html

To the conscious Bavarian/Austrian a thought like this would never occur. A life without Schnitzel would be almost as bad a life without cheese. And yes, Schnitzel is supposed to be made from veal escalopes. :shrug

Sissi
Wednesday, July 8th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Why is veal singled out? Pigs or chicken aren't treated any better. I could tell you some gruesome stories about chicken. :(
If you care about animal welfare, buy meat locally, if you have meat markets or from farmers.

On taboo food, I don't think I'd eat it except for survival. I can't fully explain why, there is just something in my gut that tells me to feel disgusted, like an instinct.

Siebenbürgerin
Wednesday, July 8th, 2009, 02:56 PM
To the conscious Bavarian/Austrian a thought like this would never occur. A life without Schnitzel would be almost as bad a life without cheese. And yes, Schnitzel is supposed to be made from veal escalopes. :shrug
I've a question about Schnitzel and taboos. Is Schnitzel made form other meat as veal considered taboo in Austria? Like from chicken meat? Here locally there is Schnitzel made from chicken too.

apwordsmith
Wednesday, July 8th, 2009, 06:40 PM
I've eaten insects, cooked, because they were for sale once in a strange store near my home, covered in chocolate. Dog or cat doesn't seem horrid either, really, and alligator is delicious

Thusnelda
Wednesday, July 8th, 2009, 09:13 PM
I've a question about Schnitzel and taboos. Is Schnitzel made form other meat as veal considered taboo in Austria? Like from chicken meat? Here locally there is Schnitzel made from chicken too.
One can buy Schnitzel from chicken and pig, too. But "Original Wiener Schnitzel" has to be made of veal. Producing schnitzel with meat of pigs and especially chicken is a quite new trend...most Bavarians laugh about it.

Sissi
Wednesday, July 8th, 2009, 09:16 PM
In Vienna you can buy "Schnitzel vom Schwein" at restaurants. It's not considered taboo, it's just not genuine Viennese Schnitzel. I haven't seen any Schnitzel with chicken meat around here.

Zuid-Vlaming
Friday, July 10th, 2009, 10:59 AM
There's a new trend of exotic meats like ostrich or kangaroo meat. I don't think of these meals as "taboo", but I don't want to try those, because it just seems bizarre to me.
As for real taboo food like dogs, cats, snakes, monkey and all, it would have to be a case of life or death.

But I eat horse meat, and I know that there is a strong taboo against it in many European countries, especially England. It's funny to think that in the eyes of some of you, I'm already a taboo food eater.
But I think that many Europeans are not aware where their disgust against horse meat comes from.
Horse meat was holy to ancient Germanics. Horses were slaughtered as a sacrifice to the Gods. Saint Boniface, the Apostle of the Germans, reported it to the Pope Gregory III, and there is a correspondance between them over "hippophagia", its importance in Germania, and its symbolical role as a pagan rite. At this point the consumption of horse meat was so characteristical of Germanics who continued to worship their gods, apperaing as a constitutive element of germanic paganism, that the Church unleashed a real war against this custom. Gregory banned it officially in 732. It became a diabolic food, he who would eat it would go to hell, etc.. Later in the Middle Ages, the butcher who had dared to handle horse meat in his life was banned from the usual entrance of the cemetery, and his coffin was carried over the cemetery's wall. No wonder that so many continue to abhor it today.
The consumption of horse meat was one of the concessions that the Church had to make to the Icelanders to make them adopt christianism in the year 1000. It's still prized there today.

As it is in Flanders (as well as in the rest of Belgium) and northern France (french Flanders as well as the Boulonnais - Boulogne-worst anyone ?).
Butcheries specialized in horse meat are very usual here.

Alice
Sunday, June 9th, 2019, 07:16 AM
There is a yearly taboo dinner in the USA at a prestigious hotel where celebrities and rich peoples come to try the taboo food. Would you go to such an event? Would you eat taboo food?

There is no way I'd attend such an event, because I rarely eat 'regular' meat to begin with. The thought of eating something like dog or cat sickens me, and I personally cannot fathom the desire to do so. For the past few years, there has been bread available in the shops that is made out of insects, which is odd, but weren't chocolate covered insects some sort of a trend in the 1970s?

Elizabeth
Sunday, June 9th, 2019, 10:03 AM
I'm a fussy eater with a weak stomach.

I wouldn't eat any of the taboo foods listed in this thread.

Of those listed I have had veal, I don't see it as taboo, and it was a favorite of mine for a long time (Viennese Schnitzel), with lots of lemon juice squeezed on it.

I had to eat a seafood dinner once at my boyfriend's family's house and I got sick from it. It was the only time I ate seafood.

Elizabeth
Sunday, June 9th, 2019, 10:24 AM
There's a new trend of exotic meats like ostrich or kangaroo meat. I don't think of these meals as "taboo", but I don't want to try those, because it just seems bizarre to me.
As for real taboo food like dogs, cats, snakes, monkey and all, it would have to be a case of life or death.

But I eat horse meat, and I know that there is a strong taboo against it in many European countries, especially England. It's funny to think that in the eyes of some of you, I'm already a taboo food eater.
But I think that many Europeans are not aware where their disgust against horse meat comes from.
Horse meat was holy to ancient Germanics. Horses were slaughtered as a sacrifice to the Gods. Saint Boniface, the Apostle of the Germans, reported it to the Pope Gregory III, and there is a correspondance between them over "hippophagia", its importance in Germania, and its symbolical role as a pagan rite. At this point the consumption of horse meat was so characteristical of Germanics who continued to worship their gods, apperaing as a constitutive element of germanic paganism, that the Church unleashed a real war against this custom. Gregory banned it officially in 732. It became a diabolic food, he who would eat it would go to hell, etc.. Later in the Middle Ages, the butcher who had dared to handle horse meat in his life was banned from the usual entrance of the cemetery, and his coffin was carried over the cemetery's wall. No wonder that so many continue to abhor it today.
The consumption of horse meat was one of the concessions that the Church had to make to the Icelanders to make them adopt christianism in the year 1000. It's still prized there today.

As it is in Flanders (as well as in the rest of Belgium) and northern France (french Flanders as well as the Boulonnais - Boulogne-worst anyone ?).
Butcheries specialized in horse meat are very usual here.

I never heard of any of that before but I was told that the reason horses are found slaughtered in South Florida is because Hispanic people believe that eating horse meat would produce strong, healthy sons.

Astragoth
Sunday, June 9th, 2019, 11:29 AM
I've had ostrich before but thats pretty much where I draw the line. Ostrich tastes a bit like a cross between chicken and beef.
Its not bad just strange. Horse I've never had.

Hersir
Sunday, June 9th, 2019, 12:29 PM
Its not bad just strange. Horse I've never had.

Horse is great, and a real heathen food:) It was made illegal here when Christianity came, eating horse had a ritual significance.
I only ate it once, but I would eat it again.

Astragoth
Sunday, June 9th, 2019, 12:54 PM
Cows and chickens are cheaper.

Hersir
Sunday, June 9th, 2019, 01:49 PM
Cows and chickens are cheaper.

But how are they considered taboo anywhere in the West? Maybe in some hippie areas of California:)

Eating pig is even cheaper than cow and chicken.

Astragoth
Sunday, June 9th, 2019, 02:06 PM
It was a comment on eating horse. The only way I'm getting horse meat is if I go to a ranch or something.

Víðálfr
Sunday, June 9th, 2019, 02:12 PM
Eating vegetables is even cheaper than eating any kind of meat. :P

I am vegetarian, so I am not interested in eating any dead (or alive) animals.

Astragoth
Sunday, June 9th, 2019, 02:28 PM

Theres my idea of taboo food right there. Ugh.

schwab
Sunday, June 9th, 2019, 04:40 PM
We rarely eat any industrialized foods. We eat mostly home cooked food and fresh vegetables from the garden. Right now we have plenty of lettuce, radishes, spinach, carrots, strawberries, tomatoes very soon, etc.....

Astragoth
Sunday, June 9th, 2019, 05:34 PM
We rarely eat any industrialized foods. We eat mostly home cooked food and fresh vegetables from the garden. Right now we have plenty of lettuce, radishes, spinach, carrots, strawberries, tomatoes very soon, etc.....
I wish I was that good of a gardener.

Hersir
Sunday, June 9th, 2019, 05:39 PM

What about lab grown meat?

Víðálfr
Sunday, June 9th, 2019, 06:16 PM
What about lab grown meat?
Not interested. What would be the purpose for that?

I prefer natural ways, for example:

This sounds good!

schwab
Sunday, June 9th, 2019, 08:04 PM
I don't eat any sea food. Oceans are polluted. Crabs and lobsters are scavengers and eat trash and food loaded with heavy metals.

schwab
Sunday, June 9th, 2019, 08:14 PM
Start with container gardening. All it takes is containers, some organic potting soil,
lettuce seedlings from your store (they usually come in 6 packs), plant them and water them. In 3 weeks you have nice lettuce plants.

Gareth Lee Hunter
Sunday, June 9th, 2019, 09:43 PM
Lilly and I consume food items common in the Midwest USA where we reside. Baked chicken, turkey, fish, some beef, and a little pork, along with steamed vegetables. No seafood, or exotic meat items ever pass our lips. :)