PDA

View Full Version : Aussie Company Supports Cruel Namibian Seal Cull - Please Take Action!

Willow
Thursday, June 25th, 2009, 09:11 PM
The world's largest and cruellest slaughter of seals is about to commence on 1st July in Namibia. Australian-based fur and skins company, Hatem Yavuz, is directly implicated in this annual brutal slaughter. Hatem Yavuz alone bought all of the dead seal pup skins from last year's cull in order to make fur coats.

It doesn't surprise me that this is one of the cruelest, since it's Africans carrying it out....
But wait - 'Hatem Yavutz' doesn't sound like a very Aussie name to me!

The annual Namibian seal cull is regarded as the cruellest in the world. The sheer terror of the slaughter can cause pups to vomit their mother's milk in fear. Once hit several times with a wooden club, and assumed dead, they are cut with a knife to 'bleed out' — sometimes whilst conscious, before being skinned. Please help pressure the Australian company that has been financially supporting this annual slaughter.

This year, the highest quota ever — 91,000 cape fur seals — are set to be killed. Most pups will be so young that they are still being nursed by their mothers. The terrified pups will be rounded up, separated from their mothers and brutally clubbed to death.

The market for Namibian Cape Fur Seal skins has collapsed over recent years due to lack of demand and import bans in the European Union, the United States, Mexico and South Africa because of the cruelty involved in the sealing methods. As of 2008, there was only one company left buying seal skins from Namibia — Hatem Yavuz.

An international campaign to expose and pressure Hatem Yavuz has been started by Seal Alert-South Africa. Please add your voice and express your outrage to Hatem Yavuz for their culpability in animal cruelty, and call on them to commit to never again buying Namibian Cape Fur Seal skins.

Follow the link:
http://www.animalsaustralia.org/take_action/namibian-seal-slaughter/

theTasmanian
Friday, June 26th, 2009, 01:38 AM
well as its an annual event there must be heaps of them.....hmm i wonder what they taste like:-O:P

Svartljos
Friday, June 26th, 2009, 01:51 AM
I don't really have a problem with seal hunting, depending on the methods of course. Canada's quota for seal is around 350.000 per year, although I suppose they might have a more humane way of killing them. I'm not sure about the actual methods of killing seals in Namibia, the only information on it that I can see is propaganda from anti-sealing people. If the sealers are European in origin (since around a tenth of Namibians are white) then I would predict they use similar methods as we do in Canada. If it is engaged in by local Africans, then I would assume the methods are not very similar to ours here (besides the use of clubs), although, I could be totally wrong on the issue. I agree that inhumane ways of killing animals is not a good thing.

Anyway, if there are enough seals in the area to have a cull quota that large, it's probably more humane to kill some off rather than let them starve to death. Also, the killing method sounds a lot more humane than slaughtering animals (especially kosher methods) so why don't we start with the big fish.

theTasmanian
Friday, June 26th, 2009, 02:18 AM
Im sure they have plenty of firearms to shoot them with ;) Clubbing is a little on the Harsh side

prodeutsch
Monday, June 29th, 2009, 03:50 AM
What do they taste like? Very, very greasy!

theTasmanian
Monday, June 29th, 2009, 04:17 AM
Greasier than Duck? an honest question;)

Ward
Monday, June 29th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Anyway, if there are enough seals in the area to have a cull quota that large, it's probably more humane to kill some off rather than let them starve to death

Ah yes, the ol' "we must kill them so they don't die" logic. :P

Svartljos
Monday, June 29th, 2009, 05:59 AM
Ah yes, the ol' "we must kill them so they don't die" logic. :P

9/10 ecologists agree :).

Edit: Heh I really don't want to sound like a jerk, but I am not an ecologist, but if there are any on this board, I would like to know the science behind a cull. Obviously, culls happen all over the world, especially when animals become overpopulated, and I don't know if there is actually any logic lacking behind it. But like I already said, if it is 'super duper barbaric' then obviously I wouldn't support such a thing, however slaughtering farm animals isn't exactly pretty either, and I have no qualms with that.

Also, I don't believe that it is a Canadian's job to tell a Namibian what and what not to do.