PDA

View Full Version : Your View on War Reparations

Siebenbürgerin
Saturday, June 20th, 2009, 05:59 PM
When a country loses a war, it has to pay reparations. Is it ethical in your view, or a humiliation towards the loser of the war? What about reparations towards the losing states? Should the winning states which caused damaging and loss of civilian lives pay them, or it's only up to the war losers to do it?

My vote is for the second option. If the reparations should be paid, in my view, all states which caused damages to others should pay them, not only the losers.

Nachtengel
Sunday, June 21st, 2009, 02:00 PM
I don't believe in war reparations, that's what I voted for in the poll and it's exactly how I feel. Accepting reparations from someone is a sign of weakness, as is demanding them. What's unbelievable is that Germany is still paying reparations to second generation Holocaust "victims", odd word since they themselves were not even born, let alone experienced anything to claim the status of a victim.

Hauke Haien
Sunday, June 21st, 2009, 05:23 PM
I believe in ethnocentric morality, which means that reparations are only ethical if we are the ones exacting them as a form of war booty. If outsiders are doing the same to us, then it is not permissible, but it can only be stopped by pushing our might against it. Appeals to universal justice and fairness are either useless or serve to promote universal authority, which is against our interests as a people.

Patrioten
Monday, June 22nd, 2009, 12:17 AM
The odds of Sweden ever winning another war aside, if my country can get some money out of a defeated enemy nation I'm all for it. If we'd lose the war our enemies would rob us blind and not think twice about it.

Aptrgangr
Monday, June 22nd, 2009, 11:04 AM
Reparations must be paid by those having caused the war to those having suffered from it. Aim of reparations must be to support private persons that have suffered a loss - dead family members and/or destroyed/seized private property - and therefor have a legal claim, and not to fund a political entity that want´s to avoid own budget consolidations.
The fact the FRG as successor of former German states still pays WW1 + WW2 reparations is insane and unlawful since the claim the Deutsches Reich was the only responsible country of WW1 is a fraud.