PDA

View Full Version : The Andalusians: A Dinaricized People

Saxnot
Friday, June 19th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Does anybody know anything about them? They appear to be a heavily Dinaricized people dwelling in southern Spain, but i'm not sure what their origins are or how they might have gotten there in the first place. I discovered them when reading up on Jean Reno, who to me appears to be a stereotypical example of a Dinaric man (i could be wrong).

Waldstein
Sunday, June 21st, 2009, 02:39 AM
Just a guess, provided that Andalusians have in fact dinarid apperance:

As dinarisation is a process that occurs in the mountains and high mountains as an adaptation to the climatic conditions in these regions (many inhabitants of the alps, especially in Austria but also in Switzerland, Italy and France are in fact dinaric and not, as the name suggests, alpinid) and as in Andalusia there are the Sierra Nevada (highest altitude: 3482 m according to Wikipedia) and the Sierra Morena, an explaination for the asserted dinarid appearance of many Andalusians could be that the "original" population of Andalusia consisting of mainly mediterranids (?) was subject to dinarisation over the centuries. If this was true, then the dinarid traits would have been acquired by the original population by the process of dinarisation and not due to immigration of dinaroform tribes of whatever provenience, the latter seeming less probable than dinarisation, as Andalusia was to my knowledge - apart from mediterraneans - in ancient times populated by two major groups, the first being the Vandals, an Eastern Germanic Tribe, and the Arabs.

Speaking of Arab, this leads me to another idea: Arabid often resembles dinarid, and as a well known fact Andalusia was the part of Spain where the Moorish reign lasted the longest.

Saxnot
Sunday, June 21st, 2009, 05:47 PM
So they developed Dinarid traits independently from other Dinarics. Fascinating.

Waldstein
Monday, June 22nd, 2009, 04:33 PM
Please note that I'm not a scientist or an expert of any kind on this field.
This is just an idea that came to me after reading a thread by Agrippa on thiazi.net stating that the habitat of the chamois (rupicapra rupicapra) is almost congruent with the territories where dinarids prevail or occur in a significant number:

http://forum.thiazi.net/showthread.php?p=1246583&highlight=Dinarisierung#post1246583

As I found out just a minute ago, a similar link is also on Skadi:

http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=44114

However, along with its mountain regions in the southeast, Andalusia has also important lowland-areas in the northwest. For the latter regions (provided dinarids prevail there also) my explaination would most probably fail.

Waldstein
Tuesday, August 4th, 2009, 02:40 AM
Actually, I don't think that Andalusians look more dinaric than any other basically mediterranid people that has lived for a sufficient duration of time in a mountain habitat and as a consequence of living in such habitat for an extended period of time shows the well known stigmata of dinarisation:.

I just came across a video of the famous "Semana Santa" drummers from Calanda in the province (or region) of Teruel, Spain: Many of them show very dinaroid traits, especially the prominent, convex nose, other traits being more difficult to detect from the material available, however.

Therefore, I dare to state (or confirm) the bold hypothesis that the dinarid race was derived from a (dolichokephalic) mediterranid, probably atlantomediterranid, basis.

GewaltigeAufgabe
Wednesday, January 25th, 2012, 02:03 AM
I believe Andalusian people were products of the Morrocan-Arab conquest of Spain in the 700's. Even the word Andalusian comes from the Arab word of Al-Andalus, meaning Iberian Peninsula, or Spain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umayyad_conquest_of_Hispania

Alongside culture, the Arabs most certainly brought with them Dinaric-like semitic traits as they interbred with the original oppressed people of the area.

Ocko
Wednesday, January 25th, 2012, 05:13 AM
The name Andalus comes from the gemanic tribe Vandales. They are famous for ransacking Rome who in turn coined the name vandalism (though they haven't excactly vandalized Rome).

They belonged to the eastern germanic tribes at the Baltic Sea. The Huns most likely drove them out and Vandales, Suebes And Alanes moved over the Rhine into the then roman province Gallia, which were then protected by the Franks. They defeated the Franks and moved on into Spain, around 410 AD. They settled there and distributed the land among their own tribes.

Their Kingdoms lastet until the 6th century. They were defeated by strong roman troops. Most stayed. Some Faction of the Vandales moved into Northern Africa where relatives of them had a kingdom there. They conquered Karthago and got very strong throug several alliances, indeed so strong that they attacked Rome and ransacked it.

But their power waned over time and they disappeared from the stage of history as a tribe and a people.