PDA

View Full Version : Revenge - Honourable or Petty?

Siebenbürgerin
Wednesday, June 17th, 2009, 07:59 PM
I've been thinking of it since the turn the cheek discussions. What is your view on revenge? If your or your family's honour have been offended, must you take revenge for it?

In past times, men defended the insulted honour of their ladies through duels and other actions. What methods of revenge are there the most indicated, if revenge is acceptable?

Frozen_Thunder
Thursday, June 18th, 2009, 01:15 AM
I think there is nothing petty about vengance, and I absolutly think it is something owed to Ours. The trouble comes in the fact that most obvious forms of vengeance are against the laws.

People often speak of vengeance as "bad" while in the same breath lauding justice. Vengeance is the foundation of justice, it is the repaying of a debt in kind and it is compensating for a loss, of life, of honor, of status.

That being said I do think there is room for forgiveness, but that is up to the party that is wronged and in my opinion should only come when the offending party has made right the wrong committed or is dilligently in the process of doing so.

SpearBrave
Thursday, June 18th, 2009, 02:50 AM
I think revenge could be used to keep further insults and injustices at bay. There is also room for moderation.