PDA

View Full Version : Local Region Econoculturism

Rodskarl Dubhgall
Wednesday, May 26th, 2004, 05:49 AM
I believe this is the most effective and simple ecology for humans. It certainly is reliable. Some may be bored by it, but not me. I actually enjoy being confined like that.

Annikaspapa
Thursday, May 27th, 2004, 07:34 PM
I believe this is the most effective and simple ecology for humans. It certainly is reliable. Some may be bored by it, but not me. I actually enjoy being confined like that.

Care to explain "Local region econoculturism" a bit and tell us why it works for you? Any links? Books to recommend?

Thanks in advance

Rodskarl Dubhgall
Thursday, May 27th, 2004, 08:23 PM
You know, staples, guaranteed goods that a local region produces and trades as cash crop. No imperialism needed. Accept what you have, cherish it.

Louky
Wednesday, June 2nd, 2004, 01:11 PM
Here we have neighborhood Farmers' Markets. Really, just parking lots where a couple days a week farmers and gardeners sell produce, some value-added like jams and breads, to the people in the area. The stuff is mainly organic and as cheap or cheaper than in the grocery stores.

We have a small garden in our small back yard which supplies our vegetables and a farm 50 miles away where we grow popcorn and fruits and have a couple of bee hives. Popcorn comes dry enough to store off the stalk and can be ground into meal or flour. Every fall the walnuts come in as a bumper, although they have a very strong taste. I've tried growing flax for the seeds and fiber, but haven't succeeded yet.

I think the "back to nature" movement of the 1960s and 70s failed for most people who tried it because they wanted to be spectators of nature instead of a part of nature. It's hard work and a real battle you can easily lose if you let nature get out of hand. This is shaping up to be one of those years.

A wet spring made tilling late so planting was late. Hotter than normal temperatures and record rainfalls continue. The weeds (the main enemy) are growing rank so you have to hoe them out until the corn is tall enough to shade them out. At this lattitude that means watering the ground with your sweat and getting a red neck. Hopefully by July the rains will subside and the corn can be left to ripen on its own.

There's absolutely no economic insentive for me to be doing this. Food is cheap and time is money. I guess you could say it's my true religion.

Rodskarl Dubhgall
Wednesday, June 2nd, 2004, 10:32 PM
Nice, Louky.

Dr. Solar Wolff
Thursday, June 3rd, 2004, 07:35 AM
Here we have neighborhood Farmers' Markets. Really, just parking lots where a couple days a week farmers and gardeners sell produce, some value-added like jams and breads, to the people in the area. The stuff is mainly organic and as cheap or cheaper than in the grocery stores.

We have a small garden in our small back yard which supplies our vegetables and a farm 50 miles away where we grow popcorn and fruits and have a couple of bee hives. Popcorn comes dry enough to store off the stalk and can be ground into meal or flour. Every fall the walnuts come in as a bumper, although they have a very strong taste. I've tried growing flax for the seeds and fiber, but haven't succeeded yet.

I think the "back to nature" movement of the 1960s and 70s failed for most people who tried it because they wanted to be spectators of nature instead of a part of nature. It's hard work and a real battle you can easily lose if you let nature get out of hand. This is shaping up to be one of those years.

A wet spring made tilling late so planting was late. Hotter than normal temperatures and record rainfalls continue. The weeds (the main enemy) are growing rank so you have to hoe them out until the corn is tall enough to shade them out. At this lattitude that means watering the ground with your sweat and getting a red neck. Hopefully by July the rains will subside and the corn can be left to ripen on its own.

There's absolutely no economic insentive for me to be doing this. Food is cheap and time is money. I guess you could say it's my true religion.

This is great Louky. I try to raise leafy vegetables, squash, corn, snow peas and maybe something exotic I can't always buy.

Rodskarl Dubhgall
Saturday, June 5th, 2004, 06:31 PM
I also support local brand names.

George
Saturday, June 5th, 2004, 10:56 PM
It doesn't work very well this far north, but as far as it works it's a great idea. It should form the base of a nation's economy, and a region or nation should not buy in from elsewhere what it can produce itself. In Britain we get apples and lamb from New Zealand, beef from Argentina, electrical goods from China etc.

Rodskarl Dubhgall
Saturday, June 5th, 2004, 11:00 PM
It doesn't work very well this far north, but as far as it works it's a great idea. It should form the base of a nation's economy, and a region or nation should not buy in from elsewhere what it can produce itself. In Britain we get apples and lamb from New Zealand, beef from Argentina, electrical goods from China etc.
But they can all be made and bought there in Britain...

Rodskarl Dubhgall
Saturday, June 5th, 2004, 11:01 PM
I bought my first alcohol from Yorkshire and the next I'll be getting from Newcastle. Sam Smith right now.

George
Saturday, June 5th, 2004, 11:07 PM
Yes, ridiculous isn't it. There are some local products, not very many. I bought my first alcohol just up the road, a pint of John Smith's smooth, but nowadays I prefer vodka, I'm not much of a drinker though.

Rodskarl Dubhgall
Saturday, June 5th, 2004, 11:11 PM
Yeah, I'm trying to get used to a spiked English Devon cream and it's weird having the taste of wine in dairy products!

Rodskarl Dubhgall
Saturday, June 2nd, 2018, 09:43 PM
While not every region has everything it needs, hence the reason for trade, it's important to invest in the capabilities of one's own home turf. I think that the reason why our world imports so many raw materials, may be to let our demands stretch the limits of foreign ecosystems, thereby preserving the wilderness in which we live.

Uwe Jens Lornsen
Saturday, June 2nd, 2018, 10:45 PM
While not every region has everything it needs, hence the reason for trade,
it's important to invest in the capabilities of one's own home turf.

I think that the reason why our world imports so many raw materials,
may be to let our demands stretch the limits of foreign ecosystems,
thereby preserving the wilderness in which we live.

Do you mean the wilderness in the United States of America ?

In Europe the countries have not much wilderness left,
since apparently only Spain has less than 100 people living on a square kilometer;
England and Germany have more than 200 , the Netherlands even more than 400 .

Schleswig-Holstein and Bavaria have just 137 inhabitants / kmē ,
but after World War Two, many refugees were settled in small newly raised villages
of a dozen houses all over the countrysides.

There is not much wilderness left.
And because of the rising populace in Africa , there will be not much wilderness left there,
except for the Sahara desert.

Russia should have 8, Canada 3, Australia 2 people per sqkm; the USA 33.
These countries could be considered to have some wilderness left.