PDA

View Full Version : Christians, Do You Accept Other Christian Denominations from Yours?

Blod og Jord
Thursday, June 4th, 2009, 11:41 PM
If you're Catholic,
do you accept the Protestant or Orthodox?

If you're Protestant,
do you accept the Catholic or Orthodox?

If you're Orthodox,
do you accept the Catholic or Protestant?

Excuse if I forgot some other denominations.

EQ Fighter
Friday, June 5th, 2009, 06:22 AM
It would seem that Catholic and Orthodox would think that protestant are basically upstarts.
Protestants would most likely see Orthodox as more old and legalistic.
But reality is Protestant is not really a denomination, it is more of a general designator, and you could call Baptist a Protestant, or even Pentecostals Protestants. Infact any Christian Denomination that is not Catholic would be Protestant.

Here in the US I would say Christians pretty much tow the same line. That is why they are the one group that can take an election without any support form other minorities.

Also why if given a legitimate electoral system, democrats rarely win elections in the US. Only in situations were the general christian populace is disillusioned or the vote is divided can democrats actually win. Example would be Obama who won against very weak Republican who did not support the base of the party.

Papa Koos
Friday, June 5th, 2009, 06:32 AM
If you're Catholic,
do you accept the Protestant or Orthodox?

If you're Protestant,
do you accept the Catholic or Orthodox?

If you're Orthodox,
do you accept the Catholic or Protestant?

Excuse if I forgot some other denominations.

As an Orthodox, I accept Roman Catholics and Protestants as Christians, but such ultimate decisions are way above my job description ;)

Siebenbürgerin
Friday, June 5th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I accept them as Christians and as brethren, but it's beyond me how their religious choice and belief will affect their afterlives. Anyway in my view now more than ever Christians would be better off if they left the squabbles behind, because the Islam is about to take over Europe, and we can't be fighting amonst ourselves while it's about to happen. :|

Teuton
Friday, June 5th, 2009, 10:34 AM
I have no problem with other Christian denominations(save ones with liberal views on homosexuality). Generally, I view other denominations as my equals on a religious level, unless someone declares that Catholics aren't Christians and going to hell(which has happened a few times).

Blod og Jord
Friday, June 5th, 2009, 10:36 AM
I have no problem with other Christian denominations(save ones with liberal views on homosexuality). Generally, I view other denominations as my equals on a religious level, unless someone declares that Catholics aren't Christians and going to hell(which has happened a few times).
That's an interesting view for a Catholic,
wasn't it Catholic who believe there is no salvation outside their church?
So technically that anyone non-Catholic will end up in Hell?

Waldstein
Friday, June 5th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Jesus Christ himself did not want to be praised in churches of any denomination whatsoever, because a church as a sensually perceivable community is the very embodiment of carnality Jesus Christ wants humanity to overcome. His life gave the example how to perform this task.

The question to which church someone belongs is irrelevant from a purely religious point of view. A human being should not belong to any at all and seek god in himself: That's the path of the mystic; it is the hardest yet the only one. Per aspera ad astra.

Teuton
Friday, June 5th, 2009, 04:47 PM
That's an interesting view for a Catholic,
wasn't it Catholic who believe there is no salvation outside their church?
So technically that anyone non-Catholic will end up in Hell?

Previously, yes.
The doctrine of the Catholic Church has changed a bit since the Vatican II council(which was in the 70's) and the Dominus Iesus which was written by the current Pope Benedict XVI in 2000.

We now view that Jesus created only a single Church(which was built upon Peter, whom was the first Pope), which has now split into the Roman Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Church.
We view that other Christian denominations suffer from 'defects'. Which we view are obstacles to salvation, though do not make it impossible for them to receive Heaven.

For other religions though, we view that they are gravely deficient, making it near impossible for say, a Buddhist, to go to Heaven.

Resurgam
Monday, June 8th, 2009, 05:46 AM
I believe that individual Roman Catholics can be Christians whilst the Roman Catholic Church is not a true church (same thing for Orthodox). Being a historicist regarding eschatology, I believe that the Pope is the Antichrist. The majority of Historicists also identify the symbols of the smoke rising from the Abyss and the invasion of locusts in the Book of Revelation as descriptions of the rise and spread of Islam.

I met this one family in my denomination where the father asked his 2 year-old daughter who the "naughty man" is. "The Pope," she would respond. :-D:

Pilgrim
Friday, August 14th, 2009, 12:41 AM
I would say that the post-schism Roman Church (and the uniates) are not true Churches, but are in schism from the Church. Same thing for Protestants (and the modern 'inclusive' ones are also heretical). Protestantism was the natural response to Papism, but both are in error.

şeudiskaz
Friday, August 14th, 2009, 01:02 AM
I follow the teachings of Jesus Christ, and am in Communion with other followers of Jesus Christ.

Jesus gave us no dogma to follow, and so to divide the church based on arbitrary, after-the-fact dogma seems silly.

Pilgrim
Friday, August 14th, 2009, 02:23 AM
Didn't He? I find in Scripture that He gave us moral dogmas ( Love thy enemy, worship and Love God, pray for one another, and so on) and theological dogmas (I will send the Spirit..., test the spirits, he confesses that I came in the flesh is of God, he who does not is of Antichrist, go out and Baptize in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, etc). I believe that His Church has been protecting these, and being guded by the Holy Spirit for all these years.

şeudiskaz
Friday, August 14th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Didn't He? I find in Scripture that He gave us moral dogmas ( Love thy enemy, worship and Love God, pray for one another, and so on) and theological dogmas (I will send the Spirit..., test the spirits, he confesses that I came in the flesh is of God, he who does not is of Antichrist, go out and Baptize in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, etc). I believe that His Church has been protecting these, and being guded by the Holy Spirit for all these years.

Jesus gave two commandments, to love God with everything we are, and to love others as we would love ourselves. That is the closest thing to "dogma" that I subscribe to.

Waterloo
Wednesday, July 28th, 2010, 07:59 PM
There are the Orthodox and there are the rest...

Ardito
Wednesday, January 5th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Of the major branches of Christianity, the one to which I am closest is Orthodoxy, and I cannot at all respect Protestantism. Anglican Christianity isn't so bad, but most forms of Protestantism, especially in America, seem to reject all theology, philosophy, love and common sense in favour of mad devotion to the most literal readings of scripture. A man cannot hope to truly touch the mind of God, and raise himself beyond the material, if he thinks the only thing he needs to do is to believe in Jesus. It's a hatred of introspection in favour of superstition. It's laziness and an utter lack of curiosity on a cosmic scale, and I believe it has resulted in spiritual atrophy and degeneration in its adherents. It's what happens when you let the lowest tiers of society take over the spiritual realm.

Catholicism, on the other hand, I find favourable. I just wish they weren't so fond of scholasticism, and the second Vatican council was, of course, a travesty.

coyle
Thursday, January 13th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Yes totally, they all worship the same God right? I am pretty non-denominational and went to Christian private schools; don't see a huge difference.

Alice
Thursday, January 24th, 2019, 02:57 PM
If you're Catholic, do you accept the Protestant or Orthodox?

I live in a predominantly Lutheran country with a small Orthodox minority, so I accept them as fellow Christians, of course. Do I agree with their theology? No, absolutely not, but I don't provoke non-Catholics into acrimonious theological debates, either. On the other hand, there is a strong anti-Catholic sentiment here, especially from certain street preachers, and these people have disrupted Mass on several occasions, screaming vile abuse about the Catholic Church.

But respect is a two-way street, and I wouldn't want to be friends with someone who purposely insulted my faith.

Bittereinder
Friday, January 25th, 2019, 04:14 AM
I believe that most all denominations have some truth to varying degrees and that there is sincere individuals in every Church. Unfortunately I also believe that if one does not inspect the foundations of why we believe what we believe we will inevitably be lead astray because that is the fundamental nature of man and it takes a concerted and dedicated effort to overcome millenniums worth of doctrinal errors.

schwab
Friday, January 25th, 2019, 04:52 AM
"........if one does not inspect the foundations of why we believe what we believe we will inevitably be lead astray because that is the fundamental nature of man and it takes a concerted and dedicated effort to overcome millenniums worth of doctrinal errors."

I have wondered for many years why Christianity was so divided in their beliefs and interpretations of the Holy Scriptures.
There was one preacher that clarified all that for me and explained the Scriptures in simple ways that all can understand, his name is Billy Graham. Sad he is no longer among us. Most of his preachings are on You Tube. I take refresher courses all the time. I don't remember him preaching against any Christian denomination.
We need to "inspect the foundations of why we believe".

laknicely
Saturday, January 26th, 2019, 01:39 AM
I was raised going to a Lutheran church one Sunday and a non-denominational church the next. The Lutheran church was much more liberal and community based, the non-denominational church more conservative and individual based. Although I connected more with the non-denominational (my father's) church, I did get to see two very different approaches to Christianity.

To me it came down to a difference of how much a person identifies with the pastor. The Lutheran church being more traditional, I saw more of a leader/follower relationship whereas at the non-denominational church, I felt like any member of the congregation might get up and lead a sermon at any moment. Personally, I connected more with that style.

Since then, I've become much more interested in Orthodox Christianity and curing the soul by means of the senses. That being said, however people want to follow their faith is cool with me as long as it doesn't involve shady stuff like banging nine-year-olds.

schwab
Saturday, January 26th, 2019, 06:00 PM
I accept any form of Christianity as long as the teachings and beliefs are Bible based only.
Some have added non Biblical dogmas that stir you away from the true message of salvation by Christ. Beware of those that preach a message of prosperity, the word and faith movement, the faith healers and cults like the Jehovah witnesses, the Mormons, Christian Science, Scientology and many others..........

Astragoth
Saturday, January 26th, 2019, 07:56 PM
Everyone is wrong about something. It's the core things that matter. People spend so much
time bickering like school kids over autistic details and calling each other heretics and worse.
How hard is it to accept Jesus as your savior and obey the law?

schwab
Saturday, January 26th, 2019, 08:13 PM
Everyone is wrong about something. It's the core things that matter. People spend so much
time bickering like school kids over autistic details and calling each other heretics and worse.

How hard is it to accept Jesus as your savior and obey the law?

Good point! Most people live in this materialistic world and believe their lives will never end. They don't care about of what can happen after they die. This country is over-evangelized, preachers are everywhere on TV, internet and social media. The problem is which one can be trusted?
This is why I stay non-denominational and stay within bible based teachings that I can trust. If it is non-Biblical, I stay away. "Trust but verify".