PDA

View Full Version : Opera, a Norwegian Web Browser

Hersir
Wednesday, June 3rd, 2009, 11:17 AM
Opera is the worlds fastest and most secure browser, and it's Northern Germanic since it's made in Norway:)

Opera is known for originating many features later adopted by other Web browsers

Sigurd
Wednesday, June 3rd, 2009, 12:27 PM
What? You mean - even faster? :-O

Ah excellent, I'm currently on 9.64 --- which is a good enough version, but crashes on me slightly more often than 9.63 did.

I will have a look at the Opera 10 Beta and see if I like it, including whether I like the interface. I'm hopeful, as ever since I've started using Opera I've not felt the overwhelming need to return to Firefox, hopefully I won't be disappointed.

Just finished the download now, will see how it goes. :)

velvet
Wednesday, June 3rd, 2009, 12:52 PM
Can it be installed beside an old version?

I wished Opera would finally care more about the real issues they still have. Edge cutting webstandard support? The acid test is by no means representative for good css rendering, and Opera often fails on basics already, despite that it leads the acid test results since more than two years. Also, still a lot of javascript issues, many backends (such as myspace and my mag-internal panel) just dont work with Opera.

Although FF often goes on my nerves too I cant give it up. Many features I need (also for work) are just not available for Opera and their 'webdeveloper' tool is a joke compared to the FF one and the Firebug extension. Last but not least, I really love the adblock tool, my internet is almost completely ad-free :D

Sigurd
Wednesday, June 3rd, 2009, 12:59 PM
Can it be installed beside an old version?

Yes, you just have to install it into a different folder. This works because it's a new version and not just an update. I actually did so myself, to make it easier to switch back should I encounter annoying problems. :)

The acid test is by no means representative for good css rendering, and Opera often fails on basics already, despite that it leads the acid test results since more than two years.

That's Acid 2 which you're grading it by, Acid 3 it failed first time around, as did all other browsers; it finished top however.

Also, still a lot of javascript issues, many backends (such as myspace and my mag-internal panel) just dont work with Opera.

Yes, the Java-thing is annoying, especially since I'm forced to use WinME. Actually the only reason why I still keep Firefox: Just in case.

MySpace I have found to work much better on Opera than on Firefox, may of course be because Firefox 3.x doesn't work on mine, and I would still be left with using FF 2.0.0.20 ...

You only realise on such a slow computer as mine how efficient Opera really is, TBH. Firefox uses so much RAM (only IE is worse for RAM usage), it's really annoying. :P

MSN.net is a different matter altogether, Microsoft loves locking Opera users out every now and again.

Many features I need (also for work) are just not available for Opera and their 'webdeveloper' tool is a joke compared to the FF one and the Firebug extension.

Many features, add-ons, etc. are adaptable. In the cases where they aren't --- it just takes people to re-code the whole thing for Opera, essentially it's a very extensible browser anyhow.

Last but not least, I really love the adblock tool, my internet is almost completely ad-free :D

Strange --- Firefox doesn't block anything for me, my Opera seems to have a Popup-Blocker/Ad-Blocker by default... :shrug

Hersir
Wednesday, June 3rd, 2009, 01:50 PM
Myspace works fine in Opera here too, not that I use the site very often. In Opera you can right click and pick block content to get away annoying flashes and such.

velvet
Wednesday, June 3rd, 2009, 01:53 PM
Yes, you just have to install it into a different folder. This works because it's a new version and not just an update. I actually did so myself, to make it easier to switch back should I encounter annoying problems. :)

Ah, cool, then I'll check it ;)

That's Acid 2 which you're grading it by, Acid 3 it failed first time around, as did all other browsers; it finished top however.

Nono, the acid test was designed to test the support for CSS3 (current is CSS2, IE doesnt even manage this, let alone 3 :D ). Actually it is a quite absurd test, because it is based on the border box model with several levels of nested elements (too much for poor IE, haha), with borders, padding and spacing, mixing with positioning-rules. This though will never be used in real life (this would be a code-mess par excellance, no programmer would do it), so the test is really useless.

From the dev-site of Opera 10 beta:
CSS (Cascading Style Sheets)
* Support for the CSS3 color:transparent value has been improved.

Means, they still havent solved their transparency issue completely. It will still result in Opera rendering the dont know 5th level nested element with a random color instead of transparency.
When you program a webpage and debug it with FF and IE and all is fine and you then open it with Opera, in many cases you do the half work again because of its issues. Really annoying.

Yes, the Java-thing is annoying, especially since I'm forced to use WinME. Actually the only reason why I still keep Firefox: Just in case.

MySpace I have found to work much better on Opera than on Firefox, may of course be because Firefox 3.x doesn't work on mine, and I would still be left with using FF 2.0.0.20 ...

Funnily enough, the front end of MySpace does indeed work better with Opera than with FF, when you log in though you can watch your new messages, but any work things (from image upload to profile editing) just dont work at all with Opera, on some pages there is simply an empty page where actually should be the image upload :D

I've created another profile with their new design mode (for testing purposes), the backend doesnt work at all with Opera.

But you really should get rid off ME, cant you install W2K?
A friend of mine had ME and constantly trouble with it, and it was really annoying to find errors and issues, as it hides many things from the 'evil' user. W2K is also nicer to the RAM usage ;)

You only realise on such a slow computer as mine how efficient Opera really is, TBH. Firefox uses so much RAM (only IE is worse for RAM usage), it's really annoying. :P

MSN.net is a different matter altogether, Microsoft loves locking Opera users out every now and again.

They kick off everything which is not IE. MSN is really annoying, I never use IE and when I installed MSN messenger I really had a hard time to find out that I have to enable the SSL1+2 (in IE->Internet Option *???*) to make it work *lol*

Many features, add-ons, etc. are adaptable. In the cases where they aren't --- it just takes people to re-code the whole thing for Opera, essentially it's a very extensible browser anyhow.

Yes, I know, but for my work I need some tools that are not available for Opera (the Firebug, or the old version Webdevelopers-Toolbar), and its not that easy to 'just re-code' it. Opera was a propietary system until version 7 or so, so their code is not freely available. Dont know if they made their new engine open-source, it would indeed boost the extensions written by the community.
Until now the extensions use a predefined set of code which is offered by Opera and (something I actually appreciate) are built in by Opera (to prevend compatibility isssues). It's not that open like FF.

Strange --- Firefox doesn't block anything for me, my Opera seems to have a Popup-Blocker/Ad-Blocker by default... :shrug

For ad-free internet you need the extension Ad-Block Plus (the plus is important, the normal ad-block contains lots of errors), load a predefined block list and you'll never see google-ads, page-layers, banners and other annoying ads again :P
Flash Block prevends flash movies from starting automatically and replaces them with an extra play button.
This means an extra click for the myspace player, but many pages replaced javascript counters and scripts that try to steal your cookie informations with flash pixels (that become visible with the play button now). Further increasing the security.
Only the popup-blocker is built-in, the rest you need to install from the extension page on mozilla.com (via tools->extensions).
Another good advise is the script-block, you can disable javascript and java on certain pages or by default and allow for certain pages. Nice, you can customise which things you want to allow to page-scripts, with this you can completely disallow scripts from manipulating your right-click menu or other annoying tricks :D

Thusnelda
Wednesday, June 3rd, 2009, 05:38 PM
"True Aryan Norsk Browser" :D

I use Opera for many years and it has never disappointed me. And honestly, what can be better than a Norwegian browser? :)

Sigurd
Wednesday, June 3rd, 2009, 05:47 PM
"True Aryan Norsk Browser" :D

I use Opera for many years and it has never disappointed me. And honestly, what can be better than a Norwegian browser? :)

A Bavarian browser, if it existed. ;)

Hersir
Wednesday, June 3rd, 2009, 06:07 PM
I used opera link to sync all the settings and bookmarks, it works great. But it doesn't save passwords to sites, but it's still a great function. Anyone else use it?

Hersir
Sunday, June 7th, 2009, 07:19 PM
If you need windows media player plugin to opera, download this one: http://dump.no/files/ff9472c0520b/np-mswmp.rar and extract it into opera plugins folder. On my PC the folder is C:\Program Files (x86)\Opera 10 Beta\program\plugins

Hersir
Monday, June 15th, 2009, 06:35 AM
8 Browser Innovations Started by Opera
http://www.geektechnica.com/2009/06/8-browser-innovations-started-by-opera/

Hersir
Saturday, March 6th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Opera 10,5 is out!
426% increase in downloads in Norway, and 200% increase in downloads for Windows in the rest of Europe.

Changelog http://www.opera.com/docs/changelogs/windows/1050/

Download http://www.opera.com/browser/download/

I use it, and it's very fast and good:)

OleBull
Monday, March 8th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Opera is excellent, but is it worth the trouble upgrading from 10.10 to 10.50?

Hersir
Monday, March 8th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Opera is excellent, but is it worth the trouble upgrading from 10.10 to 10.50?

The interface is better and some speed improvements. Opera is the fastest browser in the world.

Hersir
Wednesday, April 14th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Over 100 million people now use Opera.
http://www.hardware.no/artikler/over_100_millioner_bruker_opera/75864

Isarn
Wednesday, April 14th, 2010, 03:40 PM
I've always liked Opera, but as soon as Googles Chrome browser came out, and kicked the asses of every other browser in speed, i changed. I Also like the simple design, and the fact that every open tab/site is opening a own process makes it very stable since it never crashes the whole browser if a site makes the browser crash, just the site that crashed (the one process) . Opera is full of mini-programs that i never used, and have the annoying crash-syndrom! And it's not as fast as Chrome on my computer, so when Opera becomes more simple, fast, and get the process-system that Chrome uses, i will change back. Until then, bye bye, Opera.

Hersir
Wednesday, April 14th, 2010, 04:24 PM
I've always liked Opera, but as soon as Googles Chrome browser came out, and kicked the asses of every other browser in speed, i changed. I Also like the simple design, and the fact that every open tab/site is opening a own process makes it very stable since it never crashes the whole browser if a site makes the browser crash, just the site that crashed (the one process) . Opera is full of mini-programs that i never used, and have the annoying crash-syndrom! And it's not as fast as Chrome on my computer, so when Opera becomes more simple, fast, and get the process-system that Chrome uses, i will change back. Until then, bye bye, Opera.

I tested chrome and the speed is good, but that's pretty much it. Strange that Opera dosnt run fast on your PC, it is currently the fastest browser around. They improved the speed of JavaScript parcing alot and that gave a good improvement.

A new Opera version arrived this week, with the slogan, "The fastest browser on earth." And by some measures, that's not an exaggeration. In my tests with the SunSpider JavaScript Benchmark, Opera indeed came out ahead of Firefox, Chrome, and Internet Explorer by significant margins. And it outpaces its own previous version by a whopping 1,110 percent. This is all thanks to the Norwegian software house's new Carakan JavaScript engine.
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2361050,00.asp

Hersir
Thursday, October 21st, 2010, 08:26 PM
One of the most important new features is that you now can add extensions.

Other new stuff: Better controll over contents which is loaded by addon programs like Flash. Also new panel for e-mail and a new tool line for bookmarks.
And better HTML5 support.

Download at http://www.opera.com/browser/next/
Extensions: https://addons.labs.opera.com/addons/extensions/

Since this is a alpha version, it might be stabile.

Mrs vonTrep
Thursday, October 21st, 2010, 08:34 PM

I say the same thing. I used both Opera and Chrome for a while (don't ask me why), and Chrome is easily the fastest browser I've used on this laptop. Opera is a bit slower than Chrome and too complicated for this woman to use, so I'll just stay with Chrome until there's a better alternative.

Hersir
Thursday, October 21st, 2010, 09:41 PM
Strange, Opera is faster on most computers.

http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=nn&q=opera+faster+than+chrome&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Hersir
Monday, November 15th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Good numbers for the Norwegian browser Opera. Numbers from the third quarter of 2010 shows a strong growth in excess and turnover, both in the sector for private PC's and for cellphones.

Opera's turnover from third quarter is 178 million NOK, which is 32% increase from the same quarter last year. Opera has adjusted up their expected income for the year, and adjusted down the expected costs.

Download the newest Opera here: http://www.opera.com/browser/download/

Hersir
Monday, November 22nd, 2010, 11:58 PM
Opera is the most secure browser, and Chrome the least.

Higher security in focus in the new version of Opera.
More here: http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2010/11/17/new-and-improved

Hersir
Tuesday, November 23rd, 2010, 11:29 PM
Opera version 11 BETA is out, get it at http://www.opera.com/browser/next/

Tab stabbing

Last week we already introduced you to some new features in Opera 11. Today we release Opera 11 beta with a new surprise feature: tab stacking.

How do you like your tabs? Many of us like tabs and lots of them.
We've added functionality to enhance your tab experience. Tab stacking allows you to organize your browsing, optimize the space on your tab bar, and keep yet even more tabs handy for use.

Dragging and dropping tabs on top of one another creates stacks. Hovering a stack gives a visual overview of what's inside the stack. Expanding and collapsing stacks allows you to optimize the space on your tab bar any way you like.

So, if you're already using lots of tabs, you might want to:
Stack for looking at later
Stack for different tasks
Stack for checking out after work
Stack for just creating more space for tabs

Whatever you like to do with your tabs, tab stacking should help you organize, identify, and access lots of content directly on the tab bar. Check out the video

5hqSGGk1YTI

Looks pretty nice. I have tons of tabs open at any time, for reading later. This feature will be used alot by me:) The speed dial is also larger in the new version.

Thusnelda
Wednesday, November 24th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Hersir, confess it, you´re the online marketing manager of Opera! :D You must be!

http://cache.kotaku.com/images/2006/05/operabrowserwii.jpg

Well, I´ve started using Opera four years ago. Fast, secure, comfortable!

Opera - Nordic Browsing! :thumbup

Thorolf
Wednesday, November 24th, 2010, 03:45 PM
I just started using opera. So far I like it, not really missing firefox. Lol I do miss my firefox personalization, but oh well.

Hersir
Wednesday, November 24th, 2010, 04:04 PM
I just started using opera. So far I like it, not really missing firefox. Lol I do miss my firefox personalization, but oh well.

Opera now supports extensions like Adblock, but it also has a built in function to block content. I use it to block annoying flash commercials with sounds.

Heinrich Harrer
Wednesday, November 24th, 2010, 04:32 PM
How is the memory consumption compared to chrome?

And does it utilize multi-threading for multiple tabs? I like how fast I can restore sessions with chrome, as each tab has its own process and thus the parallel load ing processes finish quickly - while Firefox takes considerably longer with only a single one (in the task manager I can see that only a single core is being fully utilized by Firefox while chrome utilizes all of them).

Hersir
Wednesday, November 24th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Not sure about that. I have 50 tabs open and my computer is still fast. I have 4GB RAM. Opera restores my session pretty quickly, and Opera is quicker and more secure than Chrome:)

Sindig_og_stoisk
Thursday, November 25th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Well Hersir, your enthusiasm must be contagious: I have just downloaded and begun to use Opera again, after having tried it on and off for several years.

I have so far been happy with Chrome. The sleek, minimalistic design and the lightening fast speed makes my internet surfing a really pleasant experience.

My promise now is to use Opera for at least one week before deciding whether to stick with Chrome or go Opera full time.
However, I have noticed already that when playing Youtube videos in Opera, there will be a slight stall in the video, but not the audio. This has never happened on Chrome. Also, loading times do not appear to be entirely as fast as with Chrome.

These are just preliminary observations and I will keep on using it for a while before deciding on anything.

Hersir
Thursday, November 25th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Hm, that hasnt happened to me. Do you have the newest flash version? Maybe there could be a glitch with the beta version, but I havnt had that.

Sindig_og_stoisk
Monday, November 29th, 2010, 01:54 PM
According to Amazon.com, Opera does not support their Online Amazon Reader( the program that allows you to preview some pages from a book)

This runs flawlessly in any other browser I have used. So, minus 1 point for Opera :thumbdown

Other then that, I have found no major problems with Opera.

As regards my Flash problem in Youtube, how would I go about checking this and updating it if necessary?

Hersir
Monday, November 29th, 2010, 09:13 PM
I dont have a youtube problem here.
I have opera 10.63, you can update flash here http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/
You can also view the version you currently use there. It tells me that I have version 10,1,102,64 of flash

According to a quick google search you can also use this javascript to help Opera to view youtube videos.

// ==UserScript==
// @name YoutubeProtectionRemover
// @include http://www.youtube.com/*
// @description Removes lame protection on YouTube
// @copyright 2010, Snap
// ==/UserScript==

window.opera.addEventListener(
'BeforeScript',
function (ev){
ev.element.text = ev.element.text.replace("yt.flash.update(swfConfig, forceUpdate);","");
},

false);
//end

Put it in a text document and save it as YoutubeProtectionRemover.js. Change the settings in Opera to use javascripts from the folder where you saved it in.
Source http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/youtube/thread?tid=3cbbb4aafb595f5e&hl=en

There are tons of other javascripts you use too, I have used all the ones I had on firefox with no problem. You dont need the extra addon which firefox requires, javascript support is included in Opera.

Hersir
Monday, December 6th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Installation of plug-ins for Opera on Windows and Mac (http://www.opera.com/docs/plugins/installation/) if you have problems

Sindig_og_stoisk
Tuesday, December 7th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the assistance, Hersir, but I am afraid that the problems just keep coming: For some reason, PDF files cannot be opened in my Opera. At least not without clicking a pop-up alarm window at random five times and then waiting for at least one full minute for a simple file to load.

I suppose it is only a good thing that the Opera community can provide a plug-in or quick fix in matter of minutes, but my experience with both Firefox and Chrome is that these things simply work straight away.

I must confess to being quite disappointed at Opera. Never have I heard anything other then praise for this browser and I did the best I could to give it a fair chance at becoming my browser of choice. But my browsing needs are simple and pragmatic, and I really do not care for having to tinker around with my browser and install this and that just to get Youtube and PDF files to work.:thumbdown

I suppose I will give Opera a couple of more days before returning to either Chrome or Firefox:(

Hersir
Saturday, December 11th, 2010, 07:38 AM
I just wanted to say- i love ctrl+z to 'undelete' tabs. Everything should have this.

About your PDF issue: http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=434871

It seems PDF-XChange plugin might be worth a try.

I use foxit reader myself, fewer security issues than acrobat reader.

Hersir
Monday, December 13th, 2010, 03:25 PM
LastPass finally available on Opera

If you don’t know LastPass, I would describe it as the ultimate free cloud-based password manager and form filler. While hitherto available as a plug-in or extension for other browsers (IE, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari), it has finally come to Opera with the release of the new beta of Opera 11, which (finally) introduces support for extensions.

For me, LastPass has come to be one of those indispensable tools that is one of the first things I install on a new computer (see the LastPass entry in my Freeware Top 30 post). Now, with support for Opera, I can finally seriously consider using it as my main browser, which is a good thing as Opera is a serious contender for being the best browser, and just may be the fastest browser out there (more info on this below).

I’ve looked at many browser comparison tests, evaluated across multiple factors – see Tom’s Hardware Web Browser Grand Prix (Mar 2010), and Ars Technica’s Windows Browsers Benchmarked (Oct 2010). Both of these tests anoint Google Chrome as having the "best browser" distinction, with Opera coming in at a close second. ( I will say, however, that these test looked at the previous version of Opera v10).

Regardless, first or second, I am delighted to see that Opera now has support for extensions, and that LastPass is working flawlessly on it.

(In other news, LastPass just bought my other favorite cloud services, XMark – a bookmark syncing service).

To download the latest Opera 11 beta go here (http://www.opera.com/browser/next/).

Get it here (http://addons.opera.com/addons/extensions/details/lastpass/1.70.13/?display=en)

StormjaerKommando
Tuesday, December 14th, 2010, 10:06 AM
I have the latest mobile version, it totaly transformed my mobile because the standard browser is crap :shrugs Now I can actually use my mobile to go online :thumbup

Hersir
Monday, December 20th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Opera 11 finally ready in release version.

New features: tab stacking, extensions, more secure adress field and tons more.

More here http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2010/12/16/opera-11-goes-final

Changelog for windows http://www.opera.com/docs/changelogs/windows/1100/

The new version of Opera was downloaded 6,7 million times in the first day after the release.

Ælfrun
Monday, December 20th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Opera is really awesome!

Hersir
Tuesday, December 21st, 2010, 12:23 AM
Opera 11 Extension F.B. Purity now has a Custom CSS Function, so as well as blocking all the spam etc, you can now use it to style Facebook exactly the way you like it. (http://www.fbpurity.com/css.htm)

DerWeißeWehrwolf
Tuesday, December 21st, 2010, 12:50 AM
Opera is the worlds fastest and most secure browser, and it's Northern Germanic since it's made in Norway:)

Opera is known for originating many features later adopted by other Web browsers

I downloaded & I like it! Thanks for the lead! :thumbsup

DerWeißeWehrwolf
Tuesday, December 21st, 2010, 03:41 AM
Do you know how to transfer all favorites & passwords over to Opera?

Hersir
Tuesday, December 21st, 2010, 04:11 AM
Do you know how to transfer all favorites & passwords over to Opera?

I have been recommended http://lastpass.com/
They have a plugin for Opera now too https://addons.opera.com/addons/extensions/details/lastpass/1.70.13/?display=en

For favorites, you should be asked at first start up if you want to import stuff. But you can do this yourself by going to book mark management in Opera (Ctrl+shift+b), file and then import. You can import from Firefox, Opera, Internet Explorer and Konqueror.

When you get them settled into Opera I recommend using Opera link for syncing bookmarks, with this you always can access your bookmarks from other machines or devices and have a free backup. And you can also sync on other PC's if you prefer.

Opera Link synchronizes your