PDA

View Full Version : What is the Practical Purpose of the Runes?

Freigeistige
Sunday, May 10th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Perhaps this question has been asked before and I missed it, and maybe this may seem like common knowledge to the frequent participants of this section, but what is the purpose of runes?

Do they have a practical purpose, such as making something physically happen, or are they purely symbolic?

If they are symbolic: what is the symbolism and what purpose does it serve?

If they have a practical purpose: what do they do and how can they be used?

Hierwend
Wednesday, May 27th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Well you can write with runes, that's one practical purpose.

I'm pretty amateur when it comes to runes so take anything I say with a grain of salt :).

Do the runes have a symbolic purpose or a practical purpose, both in my opinion. I think most anyone would agree that they have symbolic meaning and whether or not they have physical power is a matter of belief. I am of the belief that the runes have actual physical power.

An example, a few summers ago when I was first finding out about the runes a friend of mine was shooting his bow. We often mess with each other when we're shooting to 'build concentration' and because we were stupid teenage boys. While he was shooting I drew a hagal rune on him, and his next shot went wild and we spent the next half hour looking for the arrow. We never found the shaft, only the knock of the arrow which came off in flight. I don't play around with runes anymore. Sure, this experience could have been coincidence but my friend is a darn good shot and is used to shooting under pressure, and there's no such thing as coincidence ;).

There are quite a few articles about rune meanings on Skadi that can tell you the meanings of the runes, if you think they are symbolic or have physical power is up to you. I for one believe that the runes have very real power, and should be treated with respect. Hopefully that was helpful.

rainman
Wednesday, May 27th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Any writing system or symbols have some power on some level. If you want to improve your life you start by writing your goals down and visualizing them happening. That's magic 101. Rune symbols are more esoteric in some ways as most people do not understand what they mean. Thus being hidden can give them some additional power in some ways and in some ways less. I think the "magickal" power of runes is over stated though. Any writing system is powerful.

Grimsteinr
Thursday, May 28th, 2009, 06:46 PM
While they may be easily used as a writing system, Each Rune contains a Secret or Mystery, But, they need to be studied and "Worked with" in order to gain the Mysteries and Secrets.
Most Folks nowadays do not want to take the Time and Effort needed to learn even thge least of the Mysteries.
There are Esoteric Mysteries to be Learned in many places. But noone has the time. Everyone wants "Magic" handed to them.....I saw a book, "The Runes in 10 Minutes". How much study can you do in 10 Minutes?
No Pain;No Gain!

Vindefense
Friday, May 29th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Posted by Grimsteinr:

Everyone wants "Magic" handed to them.....I saw a book, "The Runes in 10 Minutes". How much study can you do in 10 Minutes?

What's next? 'Runelore for Dummies'? This reminds me of all the lose weight quick schemes out there. If it doesn't require effort, it's a sham.

Freigeistige, the best way to understand the power of the runes is to experience it. You do this by reforging the bonds of body, mind and Nature. The mysteries reveal themselves to us when we start paying attention to the elemental forces both within and without. When your eyes are open, you know that the power of the runes drives all things. You also know that no event in your life is without purpose. There are no coincidences.

arthor
Monday, June 8th, 2009, 08:10 PM
If someone takes the time to learn and use the runes then I feel they have empowered themselves insofar they have demonstrated the discipline needed to learn. I also think that there is potential power in the runes but it needs to be unlocked and maybe when someone devotes themselves to study and work with the runes they may have a glimmer of the power that lies within. In themselves, they are merely carvings or engravings. It is what they represent both in the mind of those that make and work with them and also in where they came from.
I have started many times to learn them all and what they mean but struggle to find the time for such work and as I want to learn Old English first, I have a long road to travel. Until I have learned more about them, I don't want to carve my own. Maybe I need to do that first but I have read that one needs to chant the rune names when carving so I need to learn them all. Chicken and egg??????

wasshael

Atridr
Friday, January 13th, 2012, 07:26 PM
I do believe that runes have intrinsic purpose to them. I don't believe that any mortal human can understand such purposes completely, and at least I have never(or in the last ten years I have more or less pondered the subject) met, heard or read anything or anyone whom really could answer the questions posed.

It's apparent that runes have magickal properties to them; certain effects are commonly associated to each of them. But I would be wary in making any claims to the real origin of these perceptible powers. Who can really say whether the effects we experience come from the runes and not from our own belief in them having such effects? If I chant the Isa rune while holding a glass of water and the water turns ice cold, is it the inherent property of the Isa rune or my belief in the symbolism of Isa rune that causes the coldness in the water?

Thought experiments aside, I currently hold opinion, that runes are independent, naturally occurred archetypal patterns that "were" in the no-existence of Ginnungagap and from them all subsequent beings were formed. They are the bones and blood of Hymir, so to speak, from which Odin created the world and they are the language in which Norns write the destiny of all beings.

Because all beings are "formed" from runic patterns, I believe that different runes are associated with different parts of the body-mind-soul-form we all inhabit. Some of these correspondences seem to be very clear, like Ansuz being connected to the head and Tiwaz to the heart, but most are yet to me mysterious.

arvak
Tuesday, January 31st, 2012, 07:54 PM
The runes are used for spiritual development in which the rune vitki resonates the rune sound in which it is internalised in sound as it is externaly vibrated, thus igniting the spirit power linked to that rune in which it develops the specific soul body. As an example the rune sovelo:
1) focus the mind to the top of the head.

2) With fire lighter trace rune over the head.

3) Activate sound of rune internally by humming and then externally by vocal resonance. (Imagine and focus on inner image of sovelo rune) this is at the top of the head.

4) This activates the conscious soul the wode the inspiration

5) Activates the Valkeria Geirhod which means divine inspiration.

Lyfing
Saturday, March 17th, 2012, 07:32 AM
:)

The Runes are tools we can use to tune into our Wyrd around us. We can see the runic forces that are at work in our moments when we do divination with them. We can use that knowledge to shape our Wyrd by making proper choices. When we have the knowledge and wisdom of our worlds and we can choose to create and destroy them in and out of our Self we have taken our place among the Gods as creators ourselves. Like how Odin sacrifices his self to his Self..and gains the knowledge and wisdom of the runes on the world tree..so do we! That is the purpose of the runes as far as I can tell?

Granraude
Saturday, March 17th, 2012, 07:47 AM
To write with.

:D

Lyfing
Saturday, March 17th, 2012, 08:37 AM
;)

Indeed! They are letters we may use to write the story of our lives with. Those fortunate enough may even be able to coin new words out of them..