PDA

View Full Version : Your Computer History

Nachtengel
Saturday, May 9th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Sigurd's thread inspired me again. ;)

How many computers have you had thusfar and why did you change them (if you did)? I've had 5. I changed them because of overuse, slowness, and the components being outdated. I didn't have weird things happen to my computers like frying them, just the occasional virus. I have a laptop which I don't use very often. I use my work computer for other things than work. :P shhh

Scott Wodenson
Saturday, May 9th, 2009, 04:56 PM
I've had this one since 2003 that is roughly seven years old or more. There have been times when I could not even get the thing to open start. Many times I've bust my rear end to keep it from going to the heap. For some reason however it now works better than it ever did when it was new. Some people get attached to cars, some people get attached to other things, for me it's this computer. I'll probably still be using this one when I am in my 40's and this thing will have so many new updated parts added to it that it might begin to take on the image of Frankenstein.

Stormraaf
Saturday, May 9th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Throughout university I used the same entry-level desktop computer running Linux, which, in terms of hardware becoming outdated relative to the best and latest software, can make a computer last longer. I still use this machine for playing music whenever I'm home.

For everything else I now use my work computer (laptop), since it's more powerful.

I haven't yet thrown out a computer.

Reich des Waldes
Saturday, May 9th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Oh boy. Well since my father has a Masters in optical physics, my family has had a computer in the house for as long as I can remember. Let me see if I can count all the computers we've had.

Family Computers:
Intel 8088 (Still sitting in the garage. Works too!)
Intel 386
Intel 486Dx2 (Great computer. This was the sweet spot for a looooong time)
Intel Pentium II 266Mhz. (We used this computer for 8 frickin years... it really sucked after about the 5th year XD)
Intel Pentium III 500Mhz (Given to us by our Grandma when she got a new comptuer.. before we did and...)
Dell Athlon 64 Dual core 2Ghz (Not sure on all the specs, I've had my own computer since the Pentium III computer my Grandma gave us)

My computers:
Athlon XP 2700 Overclocked to a 3200 (2.2Ghz)
Athlon 64 3400
Intel Xeon Quad core 2.1ghz overclocked to 3Ghz. 4 gigabytes (gigglebytes XD), 2 TB (2 thousand gigabytes) space blah blah. nVidia/eVGA 7900GTO

I've had my Xeon for almost two years now. Best computer I've owned/built in my opinion. I don't see it being phased out for at least another 3 to 4 years. Still have a lot of processor head room, even when running 10 copies of East West Symphonic Library with convolution reverb in Sonar.

TheGreatest
Saturday, May 9th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Oh boy. Well since my father has a Masters in optical physics, my family has had a computer in the house for as long as I can remember. Let me see if I can count all the computers we've had.

Family Computers:
Intel 8088 (Still sitting in the garage. Works too!)
Intel 386
Intel 486Dx2 (Great computer. This was the sweet spot for a looooong time)
Intel Pentium II 266Mhz. (We used this computer for 8 frickin years... it really sucked after about the 5th year XD)
Intel Pentium III 500Mhz (Given to us by our Grandma when she got a new comptuer.. before we did and...)
Dell Athlon 64 Dual core 2Ghz (Not sure on all the specs, I've had my own computer since the Pentium III computer my Grandma gave us)

My computers:
Athlon XP 2700 Overclocked to a 3200 (2.2Ghz)
Athlon 64 3400
Intel Xeon Quad core 2.1ghz overclocked to 3Ghz. 4 gigabytes (gigglebytes XD), 2 TB (2 thousand gigabytes) space blah blah. nVidia/eVGA 7900GTO

I've had my Xeon for almost two years now. Best computer I've owned/built in my opinion. I don't see it being phased out for at least another 3 to 4 years. Still have a lot of processor head room, even when running 10 copies of East West Symphonic Library with convolution reverb in Sonar.

What's up with the old video card?

I have a half dozen computers in my household but most of them are collecting dust. me and my siblings all moved onto laptops, which in terms of power and mobility, was far superior to the ones we had.

The only active desktop we have now is mine and it stays at home (doesn't go to school), due to its weight and size.
Which is something I built two years ago and need to purchase a replacement for the video card. I was hopeing that the computer would had lived on long enough (like 6 years) and become obsolete, as opposed to crapping out when most of the hardware was still within the generation bracket.

Which made me angry because I was in the middle of a very good game as the Teutonic Order and I need to go back to crushing Poland and Lithuania!

Reich des Waldes
Saturday, May 9th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Been waiting for the 40nm die shrink of the new nVidia 2XX series. I purchased the 7900GTO off a buddy for $100 bucks over a year ago. Needed something better than the Radeon X850XT I was using. The only game I've been playing lately is Medieval 2, which seems to be more inhibited by the fact that they didn't program the game to use more than one core/processor.

TheGreatest
Saturday, May 9th, 2009, 10:43 PM
That's a problem I've noticed is that good games are becoming more rare. I was running BF2 (specifically a modification called Project Reality) on a 8800 Ultra, which to say the least, was plain overkill. I was running that game with 24 AA and 16 AF.

Fallout 3 was entertaining the week I bought it, but I finished the whole game and had a whirl at modifications. Bethesda failed in that respect, while most people could spend a hundred hours exploring in Oblivion (and much more in Morrowind), Fallout 3 felt more like episodic content.

But as the saying goes: "My hand has been played". I would buy another 8800 Ultra but the price is still $200 dollars (compared to the 300ish when I originally purchased one) and it means I'm forced to buy one of the newest generation cards.

It's just like processors. Although no one in their right mind would buy a 7700 Duo Core, it's still remarkably expensive ($200) to the point that someone would be better off just chipping in another hundred or two to get a higher end Quad or Octo.

Reich des Waldes
Saturday, May 9th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Yeah I am waiting for 32nm procs to come out. Think I might go "balls out" and do dual octocore because I feel like punishing myself on how much I pay for electricity.

Morrowind is probably my favorite game of all time. In fact I was really looking forward to the conversion a person was working on that would convert the Morrowind map files into ones that can be read by the Oblivion engine. I like some aspects of Oblivion, especially the visual engine, so I think if they would simply remake Morrowind including the continental piece and not just Vvardenfell; people would never see me again. I've been meaning to go back and play through Oblivion with the retexturing mods + Obscuro's overhaul for the leveling system.

Though truthfully as of late I've been trying to distance myself from my computer. Well mainly from the internet. I caught myself spending hours literally doing nothing just cruising the web. Might as well be starring at the wall.

TheGreatest
Saturday, May 9th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Yeah I am waiting for 32nm procs to come out. Think I might go "balls out" and do dual octocore because I feel like punishing myself on how much I pay for electricity.

Morrowind is probably my favorite game of all time. In fact I was really looking forward to the conversion a person was working on that would convert the Morrowind map files into ones that can be read by the Oblivion engine. I like some aspects of Oblivion, especially the visual engine, so I think if they would simply remake Morrowind including the continental piece and not just Vvardenfell; people would never see me again. I've been meaning to go back and play through Oblivion with the retexturing mods + Obscuro's overhaul for the leveling system.

Though truthfully as of late I've been trying to distance myself from my computer. Well mainly from the internet. I caught myself spending hours literally doing nothing just cruising the web. Might as well be starring at the wall.

Sometimes you just get too old for these activities. I imagine if I was younger, I would had been satisfied with the crap they've been pushing out nowadays. But now my expectations are a little too high. Since I've been spoiled by freeware projects and modifications. I also played through Oblivion with Obscuro's overhaul and it helps a lot in general with the overall gameplay and character building.

Hersir
Sunday, May 10th, 2009, 07:20 AM
I have had 5 computers since I was 12, and I still have 2 of them, and parts from the third one. One of the computers I have is a really old mac laptop that I have on the farm, just to check my bank and view movies when its raining outside. All the PC's that I had before was sold or given away to people that could use them.
I want to get a laptop and sell my PC, I want the mobility... and I very rarely play any video games anymore anyway. I was thinking of a laptop with 15" screen, 4GB RAM, Core Duo 2 2 Ghz or more

TheGreatest
Sunday, May 10th, 2009, 09:34 AM
I have had 5 computers since I was 12, and I still have 2 of them, and parts from the third one. One of the computers I have is a really old mac laptop that I have on the farm, just to check my bank and view movies when its raining outside. All the PC's that I had before was sold or given away to people that could use them.
I want to get a laptop and sell my PC, I want the mobility... and I very rarely play any video games anymore anyway. I was thinking of a laptop with 15" screen, 4GB RAM, Core Duo 2 2 Ghz or more

Anything to get out of that chair... :)
That's the best thing about laptops and wireless internet. You can chill on a couch and watch some television, while browsing your favorite websites or watching a movie. To me being able to use a computer in a comfortable, non-office like environment, makes up for not being able to play time-intensive computer games. Plus you can bring your laptop over to a friend's or relative's house.

EerieVon
Monday, June 1st, 2009, 05:22 AM
First computer was a Commodore Vic-20 which I received for christmas when I was like 7 or so. After that I "upgraded" to a C-64. From there I am not sure of the exact models and what times I received them but I have had a TRS-80, 286, and up. I currently have 3 computers that I consider mine (aside from my wifes and 6 year old's), a gateway laptop running Linux, a desktop running Win7, and a linux based server

cloer
Monday, December 21st, 2009, 04:08 PM
I couldn't honestly say how many computers I've had, because I build them myself and exchange parts of them when they brake and needs to be upgraded. I also built and sold for friends.

Trying a list of CPU's:
(Commodore Amiga) 68000
386-33
486-33
Pentium 75 MHz
Pentium 200
celeron 600 MHZ
AMD Thunderbird 1,2 GHz
Pentium 4 2,6 GHz
AMD 3500+
AMD x2 6000+

All with at least one motherboard, graphics cards often replaced and different amounts of HDD's and power supplies.
Impossible to remember it all :)

Sigurd
Monday, December 21st, 2009, 04:59 PM
The first one I used I believe was one my mother borrowed for her Teacher's Academy dissertation. That, I believe was an Intel 80386, all I remember.

The first one we had at home as a family computer was a Pentium MMX 200MHz, 32MB RAM, 6.1GB HDD space (record-worthy for 1997!), 4MB Shared VGA graphics. Fabricated by Highscreen. We later had an 80486 parallel to that as a back-up computer. Both used 15" screens.

I received my first very own laptop in 2002. Pentium 4 1,8GHz, 256MB DDR-RAM, 40GB HDD space, 32MB NVidia graphics. Fabricated by Gericom. That survived till late 2007. It had a 14.1" screen.

When that broke, I used my grandparents' laptop which was disused by them for the next two years. That was a Pentium 3 800MHz, 384MB SD-RAM, 20GB HDD space, 8MB Shared Memory graphics. Ran on WinME till its best-before date this year. Also constructed by Gericom. Also had a 14.1" screen.

Now I'm finally on a properly working Laptop. Intel Core Duo 2 2,4GHz, 2GB DDR3-RAM (extendable up to 8GB), 250 GB HDD space, 256 MB (I believe, could be 512MB) Intel onboard graphics (yea, I know - but you got to have a drawback somewhere. :shrug)). Constructed by HP, model HP Compaq 6730b. Screen is 15.6" - which is ideal, more is unhandy and immobile.

Fairly happy with that new one, but Windows Vista is annoying, even in its "Business" fabrication. :P ... Above all, Battery life is excellent. I've got two batteries, together we're talking approx. 16-17 hours battery life. Also fairly light and robust at the same time, good use for university. :)

Huginn ok Muninn
Monday, December 21st, 2009, 05:58 PM
I have had a few.. the first one we had in the house, my father purchased in the early 80s. It was a Texas Instruments TI-99/4A (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Instruments_TI-99/4A). I remember wasting a lot of time on it back then, programming my own games and graphic images in BASIC. It had a wonderful 3 MHz processor.

Since then:

Macintosh SE/30
Intel PPro 166
Intel P3 600
AMD Athlon 1.8
AMD Athlon 2.2
AMD Athlon64x2 3.4

Heavily upgraded the SE/30 and built the others myself.

Nordlander
Monday, December 21st, 2009, 08:40 PM
Throughout university I used the same entry-level desktop computer running Linux, which, in terms of hardware becoming outdated relative to the best and latest software, can make a computer last longer. I still use this machine for playing music whenever I'm home.

For everything else I now use my work computer (laptop), since it's more powerful.

I haven't yet thrown out a computer.I am curious as how good the Linux system is.I believe it originated in Finnland if I am not correct.Is it compatable with other systems?

Mjölnir
Tuesday, December 22nd, 2009, 09:31 AM
Odin, that's a verly long time..let me think a little wile..
:fponder:

First i've got a Commodore C 64 PC with Diskreader (Magnetband Reader)
Then come in line: Commodore 128, Schneider PC, Amiga 500 with 512 KB Graphic card (a Stick to move on up to 1 MB!!! :D:-O), 386 Tower with 2 MB UVGA Graphic and a 20 MB HD, 486 DX 2 with TURBO Button :P, powered from 33 MHZ to 66 MHZ(!), a few Month's later a 100 MHZ CPU..for about 2 years... Pentium PRO, MMX, then a IBM Thinkpad (expensive like a New York Penthouse:D), Mac Pro, linux machines, Server and so on and on and on.

Actually:

Quad Core @2,7Ghz; 8 GB Ram, 2 TB HDD, Win 7(x64), 1 GB Graphiccard, Vserver and much more.

M.:ctlcenter

Bittereinder
Wednesday, December 23rd, 2009, 06:07 AM
386 upgraded to 486, 16MB RAM, DOS, 14" CRT Monitor.

Pentium III 450 Mhz, 512 MB, Nvidia TNT2, WIN 98, 14" CRT Monitor.

AMD Athlon 3000+ @ 2 Ghz, 1GB DDR 400 RAM, ATI Radeon X800, Nforce 4 Motherboard, WIN XP, 17" CRT Monitor.

Core 2 Duo 1.96 Ghz OC'd to 2.4 Ghz, 2GB DDR2 667 RAM, Nvidia 8800GTS, Intel Extreme Series 975XBX2 (Bad Axe 2) Motherboard, WIN XP, 19" Wide LCD Monitor.

Current System:

Core 2 Duo 3.06 Ghz, 4GB DDR2 800 Low latency RAM, Nvidia 8800GTX, Intel DP35DP (Dragontail Peak) Motherboard, Win XP moved to Win 7 64bit, 22" Wide LCD Monitor.

When the prices become more affordable on the CPU and RAM I would like:

Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz Quad Core, 8GB DDR3 1333 RAM, Nvidia GTX295 Deul GPU, Intel Extreme Series X58 (Smack Over), 26" Wide LCD Monitor.

Mjölnir
Wednesday, December 30th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz Quad Core, 8GB DDR3 1333 RAM, Nvidia GTX295 Deul GPU, Intel Extreme Series X58 (Smack Over), 26" Wide LCD Monitor.

Intel Core i7 950 is by the way "Octacore"!:D

M.

Bittereinder
Thursday, December 31st, 2009, 05:22 AM
Intel Core i7 950 is by the way "Octacore"!:D

M.

Intel Core i7 950 is by the way "quadcore"!:D

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/4931/cpus.jpg

Bittereinder
Monday, April 19th, 2010, 09:45 PM
When the prices become more affordable on the CPU and RAM I would like:

I completed my new system today (barring the monitor but will get to that)

I settled on a smaller CPU

Intel Core i7 930 2.80GHz Quad Core (Awsome CPU, bearly reaches 10% utilization in my ordenary computing day)

http://67.91.114.164/intel_i7_dx58so_sm.gif
INTEL Extreme Series Smack Over X58 Socket LGA1366, DDR1333 Tri channel Memory(also supports Crossfire and SLI)

6GB DDR1333 (3 X 2GB As required for Tri Channel opperation)

I Decided on an ATI 3D Accelerator as Nvidia is in the process of releasing their new GPU's and as yet do not offer DirectX11 support.
http://www.hitechreview.com/uploads/2009/09/XFX-ATI-Radeon-HD-5870.jpg
XFX ATI Radeon 5870 1GB DDR5, Eyefinity edition (Supporting up to 6 Displays) I might ad a second 5870 if my budget allows for it at some point.

Imagine this:
http://www.bcchardware.com/gallery/albums/Saturday/3x1Eyefinity.sized.jpg

Which brings me to the display's, I will update once I have decided/found the money to make it happen.