PDA

View Full Version : Announcement: The Asatru Edda is Here!

Katia
Friday, May 8th, 2009, 02:32 PM
PRESS RELEASE

We are very excited to announce the arrival of a new book, which we feel is going to greatly advance the reconstruction of our sacred traditions. It is called “The Asatru Edda”, and it is the very first attempt ever at creating a sacred text for our faith. After 11 years of collecting thousands of notes, reading volumes of material, translating several foreign works, and piecing together every sacred text and epic that is connected to our faith in chronological order, we finally have a body of lore that we can call our own. The Asatru Edda connects our ancient fragments in their original forms like a giant puzzle, while using comparative investigations and logical, methodical research to gill in the gaps whenever necessary. It encompasses

The purpose here is not to create an Asatru “Bible” in the sense of a dogmatic doctrine, but rather to revive our holy storytelling traditions without Christian taint or academic bias. Indeed, it was not the monotheists that we looked to in considering the formulation of our own hierology, it was our Indo-European, Hindu cousins, who have remained true to their ways and untouched by the One od religions even to this day. We can learn from their example and see that if we had not faced the Inquisitions, we would certainly have our own versions of the Vedas, or Bundahesh, or Bhagavad Gita. Now we can begin the journey, now we can pick up where our ancestors left off. Even if a thousand more Eddas are written, each different from the last, now we can begin re-establishing our sacred tales as our own.

Hail the Gods!

The Norroena Society

The book is available for purchase through Amazon.com here:

http://www.amazon.com/Ásatrú-Edda-Sacred-Lore-North/dp/1440131783/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241784438&sr=8-1 (http://forums.skadi.net/redirector.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amaz on.com%2F%C1satr%FA-Edda-Sacred-Lore-North%2Fdp%2F1440131783%2Fref%3Dsr_1_1%3 Fie%3DUTF8%26s%3Dbooks%26qid%3D124178443 8%26sr%3D8-1)

Or you can bring the ISBN to any local bookstore in the world who can order it for you:
# ISBN-10: 1440131783
# ISBN-13: 978-1440131783

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f247/katialane21/smallasatruedda.jpg

Sigurd
Friday, May 8th, 2009, 03:08 PM
I was holding on tightly ever since "The Nature of Asatru", and here it is. That's where my next investment is going. ;)

Katia
Friday, May 8th, 2009, 03:27 PM
I would like to add on a personal note that I understand that the book is expensive at $37.95. However please understand that the reason the book has been delayed for so long is because we have been in constant back and forth bickering with the publisher on ways to reduce the cost. This is a MASSIVE book. It is 8.5x11 (that's regular printer paper size!) and is near 500 pages. They originally wanted to retail the cost to $44.95 but we were able to decrease the font and spacing and get it down to the current price. Another sacrifice that we had to make was to remove the Index because it alone was over 100 pages. However, this will be released in the coming months in the form of a Study Guide which will also include ways to help people read and understand this text. It will be sold for less than $10 from us directly.

The Introduction is available to read online on our website:

http://www.norroena.org/eddaintro.html

If you have any questions in the meanwhile please send them my way!

velvet
Friday, May 8th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Indeed, looks very interesting!

But since I already own two examples of the Edda, I'd be interested in a more detailed table of contents. I've searched already IUniverse, but the preview only offers the introduction.

Would it be possible to post the table of contents please?

Sigurd
Friday, May 8th, 2009, 04:04 PM
But since I already own two examples of the Edda, I'd be interested in a more detailed table of contents.

See, there comes the catch. From what I understood, it is not to be seen as a "Rehashing of Snorri's Edda" --- the introduction makes that quite clear.

Essentially, it is a keen attempt to re-create our myths as untainted as possible from Christian influence by looking at every little bit of local folklore, writings of a similar nature as the Edda, etc. The use of the word "Edda" is, as I understood, mainly due to it having established itself for that type of thing.

I know that many don't like the attempt to view what we've been given by Snorri as critical, claiming that "we already have enough texts" - but I still recommend everyone to have a look, as I consider it a keen project: But I see it a bit more on par with the Circle of Ostara's "Odinic Mythology Part I & II", as it essentially seeks to cleanse our holy texts from later Christian influence, with the difference that this one will not only analyse that influence, but also to recreate an essentially non-Christian form of our myths.

So, it is less an attempt at a new translation of what we already have - but instead I understand it as an attempt to provide a text for heathens, by heathens, by relying on heathen myths which seeks to represent our lore in a more genuine way than we have experienced thus far.

And for even attempting something of that scope, where you have to analyse the fundamentals of our mythology and our faith to understand which is Christian influence and which is not --- even for that, if for some nothing more, it should be worth a look. The author's previous work, "The Nature of Asatru" and its excellent outlook convince me that it will be authored sincerely and not just "for the fun of it", either. I expect many insights which I have myself only grasped in part but haven't yet quite come together by original thought. :)

Katia
Friday, May 8th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Here is the Table of Contents. I can assure you that nothing you own is similar to this. This is a compilation of every text that is considered sacred to our faith, organized in chronological order and rid of the Christian taints in the copies available now. As much as we don't want to compare it to a book such as the Bible because of the dogmatic aspects of that book, comparatively speaking in a sacred text sense they are similar being that they are fluid chronologically and are composed of all of the books sacred to Asatru/Odinist believers. I hope that helps to clear it up a bit. This is a completely new concept that, understandably, many will need some time to get used to.

Table of Contents

Introduction............................ ........................................ ........................... 1
About The Ásatru Edda.................................... ........................................ . 8

The Úr Aldr

I. Ginnungagap............................. ........................... 12
II. Yggdrasill.............................. .............................. 12
III. Auđhumla................................ .......................... 14
IV. Jörmungrund............................. ......................... 15
V. Óđinn................................... ........ 16
VI. Rúnar................................... ......... 22
VII. Iđavöllr................................ .... 24
VIII. Grotti.................................. ........................... 24
IX. Ymir.................................... .................. 26
X. Álfar................................... .................... 27
XI. Ljósálfar............................... ................ 30
XII. Ásgarđr................................. ...... 33
XIII. Vanaheimr............................... .......... 35
XIV. Dísir................................... ............................. 37
XV. Ţursar.................................. ........... 38

The Gullaldr

XVI. Ćsir.................................... ................ 43
XVII. Ívaldi.................................. ..................... 48
XVIII. Hnossir................................. ................. 49
XIX. Askr ok Embla................................... ............ 50
XX. Heimdallr............................... ................ 55
XXI. Jarl.................................... ..................... 66

The Silfr Aldr

XXII. Gullveig................................ ........................................ .................................. 70
XXIII. Jörmungandr............................. ........................................ ............................. 77
XXIV. Hel..................................... ........................................ .................................... 77
XXV. Valhöll................................. ........................................ ................................... 87
XXVI. Niflhel................................. ........................................ .................................. 92
XXVII. Ýdalr................................... ........................................ ................................. 97
XXVIII. Mjöđvitnir.............................. ........................................ ............................. 99
XXIX. Konr.................................... ........................................ .................................. 101
XXX. Útgarđaloki............................. ........................................ ................................ 103
XXXI. Egill................................... ........................................ .................................... 111
XXXII. Geirröđr................................ ........................................ ................................ 114
XXXIII. Ţrymr................................... ........................................ ............................... 118
XXXIV. Sleipnir................................ ........................................ ............................... 121
XXXV. Sif..................................... ........................................ ................................... 123
XXXVI. Hrungnir................................ ........................................ ............................. 125
XXXVII. Byrgir.................................. ........................................ .............................. 128
XXXVIII. Sunna................................... ........................................ ............................ 133
XXXIX. Vartari................................. ........................................ ............................... 135
XL. Niflungar............................... ........................................ ........... 137

The Koppar Aldr

XLI. Iđunn................................... ............................... 142
XLII. Leikn................................... ........................................ .... 142
XLIII. Gróa.................................... .................................... 144
XLIV. Fimbulvetr I....................................... ..................... 149
XLV. Hrafnagaldr............................. ....................... 154
XLVI. Óđáinsakr............................... ......................... 156
XLVII. Folkwanderung........................... .................... 158
XLVIII. Ullr.................................... ............... 161
IL. Völundr................................. ........................ 161
L. Höđr.................................... ................................ 162
LI. Nanna................................... ......................... 164
LIII. Hildr................................... ................. 167
LIII. Baldr................................... ................. 172
LIV. Sinmara................................. ............ 184
LV. Skađi................................... ........ 189
LVI. Hringhorni.............................. ............................... 192
LVII. Váli.................................... ........................................ ............................ 194
LVIII. Vafţrúđnir.............................. ........................................ ...................... 198
LIX. Gróugaldr............................... ........................................ ......................... 202
LX. Svarinshaugr............................ ........................................ ........................ 206
LXI. Óđr..................................... ........................................ ........................... 214
LXII. Menglöđum............................... ........................................ ............................. 216
LXIII. Gambanteinn............................. ........................................ ............................. 227
LXIV. Fjölsviđr............................... ........................................ .................................. 232
LXV. Breiđablik.............................. ........................................ .................................. 237
LXVI. Alvís................................... ........................................ .................................... 239
LXVII. Gerđr................................... ........................................ ................................. 242
LXVIII. Fenrir.................................. ........................................ ................................. 250
LXIX. Folkvíg................................. ........................................ .................................. 251
LXX. Haddingr................................ ........................................ ................................. 262
LXXI. Guđormr................................. ........................................ ................................ 273
LXXII. Húnvíg.................................. ........................................ ................................ 279
LXXIII. Ásmundr................................. ........................................ ............................ 281
LXXIV. Singasteinn............................. ........................................ ............................. 287

The Járn Aldr

LXXV. Gleipnir................................ ........................................ ................................. 290
LXXVI. Hymir................................... ........................................ ............................... 291
LXXVII. Hárbarđr................................ ........................................ ............................ 296
LXXVIII. Loki.................................... ........................................ .............................. 300
LXXIX. Eggţér.................................. ........................................ ............................... 308
LXXX. Hár..................................... ........................................ ................................... 308

The Úlfr Aldr

LXXI. Fimbulvetr II...................................... ........................................ ...... 320
LXXXII. Ragnarökr............................... ........................................ ........................... 320
LXXXIII. Gimlé................................... ........................................ ............................ 323

Scott Wodenson
Friday, May 8th, 2009, 05:04 PM
This looks like a very promising read, I cannot wait to get my hands on a copy of this Edda. Do you expect to sale out or do you have a good stock of coppies?

Katia
Friday, May 8th, 2009, 05:17 PM
It's being sold through Amazon and through all major bookstores. They will keep printing them as long as it continues to sell! We were very fortunate to receive good feedback from The Nature of Asatru. It has sold thousands of copies and continues to reach new people every day.

rainman
Friday, May 8th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Don't say that's the first. Admittedly self published but I already made an earlier attempt (http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=110910) (although constantly being edited and reformed). Will get around to reading this book as well though.

What is this book about? Myth? Philosophy? Tradition? Looks mostly about myth. If so that is really good, I was hoping somebody would make a coherent mythology and hopefully one that had certain moral lessons and meaning behind it (much like much of Grimm's folk tales). Hopefully also written by someone who is knowledgeable about other Aryan myths and can fill in the gaps. nordic myth as handed down is pretty contradictory, incoherent and too much in need of being shortened

velvet
Friday, May 8th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Here is the Table of Contents. I can assure you that nothing you own is similar to this. This is a compilation of every text that is considered sacred to our faith, organized in chronological order and rid of the Christian taints in the copies available now. As much as we don't want to compare it to a book such as the Bible because of the dogmatic aspects of that book, comparatively speaking in a sacred text sense they are similar being that they are fluid chronologically and are composed of all of the books sacred to Asatru/Odinist believers. I hope that helps to clear it up a bit. This is a completely new concept that, understandably, many will need some time to get used to.

Thanks for posting the table of contents!

I see it was my fault to mix the word Edda with Snorri's Edda, your book seems to be exactly what I was searching for. There have been so many splitters of the lore that I never really could decide to buy a book because the most books were collections of the author's taste, so buying two books one always ended up with several versions of the same, only adding one or two new stories to the collection already there, very frustrating...and then the partly terrible translation, a real nuisance (Sigurd, you know about the 'tummelnden Pferde' I guess, haha)

Seems you have solved that problem finally for me, book is almost ordered already ;)

arthor
Saturday, May 9th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Found it at Amazon US but not on Amazon UK. Is it going to be coming over here? Or will Amazon US ship to the UK does anyone know??

wasshael

Katia
Monday, May 11th, 2009, 02:47 PM
It took The Nature of Asatru about an additional 3 weeks to be available on Amazon UK, however the US version will indeed ship internationally!

rainman
Tuesday, May 12th, 2009, 12:04 AM
You can't even answer the question of what the book is about?

Katia
Tuesday, May 12th, 2009, 03:55 AM
A link to the Introduction is listed above, it should give you a good idea. Mark Puryear is also formulating a synopsis that should be posted by tomorrow.

exit
Tuesday, May 12th, 2009, 01:52 PM
I read the intro and it doesn't explain anything. For instance, while I am glad the book rejects euhemerism, it supports a "chronology of events" - how is that? It says "the gods sent a divine teacher" ? And then the word "culture" is used over and over which seems quite vague.

On the same site I read "One enigma we each must ponder is how a sacred tradition originates and what constitutes its sacredness." Surely, a fine starting point. But this must not be simply pondered, but rather experienced so that there leaves no doubt as to the answers of these questions.

Katia
Tuesday, May 12th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Here is the latest Norroena Newsletter which is an update from Mark Puryear:

Dear Comrades,

People have been inquiring as to exactly what The Asatru Edda is, and why they should obtain a copy. After all, there are several translations of the Eddas already available to us. What makes this one different? Well, first of all, this is a work written by and for the men and women of our faith, as a RELIGIOUS text, unlike anything any of us have ever seen. This is not simply a new translation of the Eddas, it is a complete reconfiguration of them, combining all of our sources into a new, coherent epic. From Ginnungagap to Ragnarök, the stories are here presented in chronological order using translations of the sources in their original form. Like pieces of a giant puzzle, our sacred lore is now presented in a way that will allow us to use it in a religious context.

All of the favorites are here: Völuspá, Hávamál, Sigrdrifumál, etc. they are simply presented in a new light, in a way that strives to mimic the lore as our Odinist/Asatruar ancestors saw it. We have removed Christian misconceptions and mainstream academic biases, we have reached as far back as we could go, and now we present the results of our research that is decades in the making. You will find works that span the ages here, not just the Elder and Younger Edda, but also sources from the Indo-European era, the Sagas, the histories, and even works of today. You’ll see new reconstructions such as a new rune poem and the Runelaw (Rúnlög), as well as the most ancient traditions and ideas on morality, wisdom and faith. Every piece has been dissected, scrutinized, and carefully places into the epic structure using the strict methodology originally created (though here vastly improved upon) by Dr. Viktor Rydberg.

You will also find an extensive section of notes, detailing the research and its progression, and how these theories resulted in the work at hand. The avid investigator will find all the sources cited, then listed in the bibliography, as well as discussions on how we reached the conclusions we did when they were our own. After that, a complete glossary is given, offering pronunciations, etymologies, and definitions for every single term found in the text. Soon we will be releasing a Study Guide to help people research and understand the text better for themselves.

This has been a massive project, and we hope that our folk will be able to use it to take the next step in the evolution of our faith, to move past the Era of Inquisition that tainted our lore in the first place. Although we stand firmly against the idea of any sort of dogma, our hope is to create a new understanding of just exactly what we can achieve for our movement, moving beyond the works of outsiders for our religious needs.

Thank you,

Mark Puryear, main editor of The Asatru Edda and Director of The Norroena Society

Works presented in ‘The Asatru Edda’ include:

Adam of Bremen
Aethelwed’s Chronicle
Alvíssmál
Ammianus Paulus
The Anglo-Saxon Rune Poem
Annales Ryenses
Ásmundar Saga Kappabana
Atharvaveda
Atlakviđa
Atlamál in Groenlenzkv
Avesta
Baldrs Draumar (Vegtamskviđa)
Beowulf
Bósa Saga
Bundehesh
Chronicon Lethrense
Darađarljóđ
Deor’s Lament
Drap Niflunga
Ecken Ausforth
Egills Saga
Eiríkr Viđforlis Saga
Eiríksmál
Fädernas Gudasaga
Faereyeyingasaga
Fáfnismal
Fjölsvinnsmál
Gautrek’s Saga
Germania
Gesta Danorum
Gísla Saga Sursonnar
Göngu-Hrólfs Saga
The Gotland Law
The Great Lacuna
Grímnismál
Gróttasöngr
Gróugaldr
Guđrúnarhvöt
Guđrunarkviđa
Gunnars Slagr
Gunthari
Gylfaginning
Hadokht Nask
Hakonarmál
Háleygjatál
Hamđismál
Haralds Saga Sigurđssonar
Harbarđsljód
Hattatál
Haustlaung
Hávamál
Helgakviđa Hjörvarţssonar
Helgakviđa Hundingsbana I & II
Helga ţáttur ţórssonar
Helreiđ Brynhildar
Hermod the Young
Hervarar Saga ok Heiđreks
Homa Yasht
Hrafnagaldr Odins (Forspjallsljóđ)
Hugrúnar
Hversu Nóregr Bygđis
Hymiskviđa
Hyndluljóđ
Ibn Fadlan
Islandingasaga
Jordane’s De Goth Origine
Kormákrs Saga
Laurin
Lokasenna
The Longobard Saga
The Merseberg Charms
Nibelungenlied
Nibelunge Noth
Njals Saga
Oddrúnargratr
Oera Linda Bók
The Old Icelandic Rune Poem
The Old Norse Rune Rhyme
Orvar-Odds Saga
Origo Gentis Langabardorum
Paulus Diaconus
Prose Edda Prologue
Reginsmál
Rigsţula
Rigveda
Sagan om Svärdet
Sigrdrifumál
Sigurđarkviđa III
Sigurđr and Brynhildr Fragments I & II
Simeon’s Church History of Durham
Skáldskaparmál
Skírnismál
Sögubrot af Fornkonungum
Sólarljóđ
Sonatorrek
Sörla ţattur
Sveidal’s Ballad
Ţiđreks Saga af Bern
Ţórsdrapa
Ţrymskviđa
Urkon
VafŢrúđnismál
Valtarius Manufortis
Vellekla
Vendidad
Vilkinasaga
Vita Ansgarii
Völsungasaga
Völundarkviđa
Völuspá
Völuspá in Skamma
Vilkinasaga
Wessobrun Prayer
Widsith
William of Malmesbury
Wolfdieterich
Tnglingasaga
Ynglingatál

Available for purchase through Amazon.com here: http://www.amazon.comÁsatrú-Edda-Sacred-Lore-North/dp/1440131783/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241784438&sr=8-1 (http://forums.skadi.net/redirector.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amaz on.com%C1satr%FA-Edda-Sacred-Lore-North%2Fdp%2F1440131783%2Fref%3Dsr_1_1%3 Fie%3DUTF8%26s%3Dbooks%26qid%3D124178443 8%26sr%3D8-1)

Or you can bring the ISBN to any local bookstore in the world who can order it for you:

rainman
Wednesday, May 13th, 2009, 03:25 AM
Seems worth looking into. So it has sagas from PIE sources such as the rig veda of India??

I'm not the foremost expert on the sagas and myths but just from what I've studied they seem pretty fragmented beyond salvation. The only way to build something coherent would be to completly rewrite much of the old myths and fill in a lot of the gaps and smooth over the contradictions with your own ideals. Even here not all people agree exactly as to what the myths are. Are they actual history? If so there is no way you can just compare myths and get history, much would be lost at any rate but you'd have to compare antropology and all that. Are the myths rather symbolic tales meant to appeal to our folk soul and to explain morals and so forth? In this case the sagas don't fit because they were actual history and not myths. They also were often exagurated and made entertaining.

What is the purpose of the myths in this book? A history of our people or as symbolic stories?

I really think its good to try to do this but I have my doubts about how complete and perfected this work might be. If people were to bring forth legitimate criticism would later editions correct these things?

My thing is I think a folk religion should come from the folk. As such before an "official" doctrine be publish it should be the result of discussion and consulting many people who practice the religion and are knowledgeable about it and contain an array of opinions and practice. Even the Christian Bible has various authors for this purpose: no one person represents the religion in its entirity. Admittedly in Asatru individual groups and practicers will adapt the books to their own purposes. They are free to criticize and change parts where they see fit, but I think should center themselves around a more consistent and coherent text for reference purpose and consistency across time and space. Though I feel for a book to truly do that job it should have a lot of input from different people. Not one person writing a whole bible himself with only the input of his few friends.

That's why about a year ago I tried to contact Mark Puryear about working together on a "bible" like project. I never had a reply. I also tried the same with Steve McNallen. No interest there either I guess. I've been working on my book and I'll give it away for free when I get enough money. I don't sell it at any profit myself and I'm constantly rewriting it as I gain new insights. I've had as many Asatruar as I can (not many though) read over it and offer their own insights, suggestions, criticisms etc. I'm doing it not to make money, not to glorify myself, but because I want a tradition to hand to my children and grandchildren and so on that actually benefits them. I feel the religious, philosophical and cultural teachings out there today are destructive to the individual and the group.

With McNallen I think his writing is good at times but his motivation seems to be to feed his own ego and make a profit. Even though his wife got realy pissed when I wrote her that. It just seems to be my observation when I pay $25 for a book from his website and its about 20 pages with holes popped through them and bound with cheap plastic binding you can buy at walmart. I know self publishing is expensive but I can definately see that his philosophy and teachings have a profit motive behind them. I'm sure he also has his convictions but his motive gets in the way of really doing a service to the folk.

With Puryear I know with the philosophy of Asatru I really liked the book but could come up with several criticisms of certain points and could make it better. I don't know if his motive is profit but his book was also on the pricey side and the main motivation here seems to be racial preservation which at times may cloud other important aspects of religion. I know when you work hard you want to be compensated for it and I know it is an insane amount of work to undertake a book, but something really needs to be made with the intent of social change and helping the folk rather than with the intent of personal gain, whether through reputation, money etc.

I've been working on putting together a "cannon" for Asatru myself. This would include works by various authors. I'd be glad to work together on something if the interest really is helping the folk. I'm in College now and I should be able to make plenty of money to support myself without relying on sales of books. As soon as I'm in good financial shape I'll print them up, pay for it myself and distrubute them for free the same way Christians hand out Bibles or Mormons hand out books of mormon. Because I think a healthy philosophy can really help people. I'd also be willing to start an Asatruar "church", but I really don't see the support behind it. There aren't enough people for me to really get a community going. I'll just have to see what happens in the future.

The way I take Asatru racially can be compared to Christianity and Judaism. Some are racialist and/or tribalists. For them this represents their native tradition. It would be most logical to follow the religion of your ancestors and one that most suits you racially. Yet there are others such as universalists who may follow it because they believe in the philosophy or whatever. To them I would encourage them to adapt the philosophy and such to a tradition that is more in line with their own folk, but they are free to do what they will. Various groups and tribes may consider themselves Germanic but not even consider each other Germanic (what about Americans with 2% Native American who follow Asatru vs. "pure" Germans?). I think race is too relative of a concept to really try to make any religion, philosophy or way of life racially exclusive. Nonetheless in Asatru every group, nation, tribe etc. has a right to define itself and be exclusive if it chooses. Other groups may be universal (such as the official religion of Iceland being Asatru and also not being racially exclusive). Going back to Christianity/Judaism you will see that Judaism is practiced by people largely descended from historical Jews. They may have evolved or changed a bit since then but for the most part they are following the traditions of their ancestors. Christians however are focused on Jewish history, customs, laws etc. but are not ethnically Jewish. They are a universalist religion. In a similar way Asatruar who are not racially Aryo-Germanic are more or less like modern Christians and the ones who are practicing the religion of their forefathers are like the modern Jews. Jews have no reason to go out and tell a Christian he can't read the torah or observe the customs/philosophy of his people, but at the same time a Jew doesn't have to accept a Christian into his own family... I hope what I write makes sense. lol

velvet
Wednesday, May 13th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Dear Rainman, maybe you should read the book before you write a critique about it ;)

The introduction and the text above make very clear, that this is not the work of only one person, and that it wasnt pulled together 'on the fly' but is the result of twenty years of work. And it makes also clear, that this still is NOT meant as a dogma or doctrine, you're still free to accept or reject it, to critisise, correct and just make your own interpretion of it.
I just think, provided the book holds its promise, that it might be the most complete collection and the least biased translation. And that is exactly what was missing so far. The most translations I own myself I really hate, because the translations are christian and the comments are christian, it is really hard to strip off that stuff yourself while reading. So at the very basic point this new collection and translation offers a complete new base to discuss about heathenry.

triedandtru
Wednesday, May 13th, 2009, 03:35 PM
PRESS RELEASE

We are very excited to announce the arrival of a new book, which we feel is going to greatly advance the reconstruction of our sacred traditions. It is called “The Asatru Edda”, and it is the very first attempt ever at creating a sacred text for our faith. After 11 years of collecting thousands of notes, reading volumes of material, translating several foreign works, and piecing together every sacred text and epic that is connected to our faith in chronological order, we finally have a body of lore that we can call our own. The Asatru Edda connects our ancient fragments in their original forms like a giant puzzle, while using comparative investigations and logical, methodical research to gill in the gaps whenever necessary. It encompasses

The purpose here is not to create an Asatru “Bible” in the sense of a dogmatic doctrine, but rather to revive our holy storytelling traditions without Christian taint or academic bias. Indeed, it was not the monotheists that we looked to in considering the formulation of our own hierology, it was our Indo-European, Hindu cousins, who have remained true to their ways and untouched by the One od religions even to this day. We can learn from their example and see that if we had not faced the Inquisitions, we would certainly have our own versions of the Vedas, or Bundahesh, or Bhagavad Gita. Now we can begin the journey, now we can pick up where our ancestors left off. Even if a thousand more Eddas are written, each different from the last, now we can begin re-establishing our sacred tales as our own.

Hail the Gods!

The Norroena Society

The book is available for purchase through Amazon.com here:

http://www.amazon.com/Ásatrú-Edda-Sacred-Lore-North/dp/1440131783/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241784438&sr=8-1 (http://forums.skadi.net/redirector.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amaz on.com%2F%C1satr%FA-Edda-Sacred-Lore-North%2Fdp%2F1440131783%2Fref%3Dsr_1_1%3 Fie%3DUTF8%26s%3Dbooks%26qid%3D124178443 8%26sr%3D8-1)

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f247/katialane21/smallasatruedda.jpg

This is really exciting. I haven't ordered a copy yet, but plan on doing so later today. :D

rainman
Wednesday, May 13th, 2009, 07:15 PM
My criticism was of the already published book by the same people on the philosophy of Asatru and also some directed at totally different people (McNallen). In reading the Philosophy of Asatru it is quite obvious that it was not a collective effort of people knowledgeable on the subject. It was maybe Mark Puryear and some of his friends, but no real effort to reach out to the community at large and have an open dialog.

Nonetheless my primary question still lingers: is the book about history or symbolic religious literature?

Likewise most of the "lore" was written by Christians directly. It wasn't translated by Christians per se, it was actually written as a primary source by Christians (thus where all the Christian influence comes from). Yes it is vaguely based on some stories their grandmother might have told them and may have a little drop of the true old tradition in it, but its so corrupted as to be nearly useless to us. Much of what we consider Asatru "religion" was actually bed time stories for little kids made up by the minds of Christians around the late middle ages. Yet foolishly we consider these to be ancient myths and to have some religious significance where really little exists. I've studied the Aryo-Germanic traditions and realized that any truly pre-Christian reconstruction of the Nordic myths and tradition is not possible. It must be filled in either with modern ideals, the authors ideals, or what was gleaned from related sources (like Greek tradition, the Indian Eddas etc.) or some combination.

Sigurd
Wednesday, May 13th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Perhaps you want to read the book before you criticise it? Read it, then offer your criticism - and then if you're really dissatisifed, do it better. You can always talk about "this could have been better" and "that could have been better" --- but if you have no solution of how to do it better, you shouldn't really be talking. ;)

rainman
Thursday, May 14th, 2009, 05:01 AM
I offer a solution: work together as a team. That would probably solve just about all the problems the Germanic race seems to have. Most racialists seem incapable of the most basic organizing.

I can't do better than one person. I know for 100% sure that if that person and I work together that we will do a lot better.

This book is one part in a series. The Noreana society or whatever its called is planning to publish a whole library covering all the essential topics for Asatru practice. To tell the truth mythology is not my specialty. I am speaking of the whole picture of creating a complete guide to the modern faith. There will be variations and people who do it differently but at least the guide will serve those who are interested in it and serve to educate and define the religion more uniformly.

velvet
Thursday, May 14th, 2009, 01:22 PM
I offer a solution: work together as a team. That would probably solve just about all the problems the Germanic race seems to have. Most racialists seem incapable of the most basic organizing.

Dont want to offend you, really, but you are so obsessed with race that you put it before anything else. Even worse, you 'condemn' works, that you didnt even read so far, because they care more about myths than about race. Your obsession with race is sometimes really unnerving, I'm sorry to say that. And to put it directly, myths are culture, and culture is society. You will never be able to create any form of community when you put the cart before the horse, race before culture, unless you want your community to be a sect. Since you never cared about the myths, I strongly recommend that you do. It doesnt matter if you believe in them or not, that is not the question, it is about knowing these things, as they have been an inseperable part of our culture and society structure.

It is not even the question to return to ancient times, surely there will be things that might have become more or less invalid within the last thousand years. Again, it is about knowing where to start, not where to go from there, that is a whole different thing.

You complained that the author that you mailed some time ago didnt answer. When you wrote the way you express yourself here with your obsession for race and the attitude that you think you understood anything of it despite the fact that you never cared about the myths, then I can answer you the question why he never answered. Why should he team up with someone who want to do something complete different than he with his work?

Again, dont meant to offend you, but meant to make you think about your attitude. You cant constantly blame all the 'lazy people' who are not willing to subscribe to your sect-like community without realising that maybe, most likely, your attitude it is what discourages the people. It is your biggest problem that you always want to put the cart before the horse.

Again, no offence meant ;)

rainman
Thursday, May 14th, 2009, 09:09 PM
I probably am one of the least racist person on Skadi. Yes I do think the question of heritage should be explained as it applies to Asatru. Again the book The Nature and Philosophy of Asatru actually kept bringing up things like "the white race will die if we don't do something" and other racial comments that seemed a bit out of place with the rest of the book (but still acceptable within context). I'd say I'm less racial than the author of this book and I also go into a deeper explanation of race (such as the idea that race is a relative concept and different people/groups might have different views of what a race is yet there is still a legitimate reason to preserve a unique people on earth and bond with other people of your own kind- however you define that).

I never mentioned anything about race when trying to contact an author. I simply expressed a desire to work together to further Asatru. If I were doing this for myself I would not have written anything about Asatru. I'm the one who wrote the book, so I already know what's in it. I sure didn't write it for money or fame (which I don't think will happen with that kind of book- at least not in my lifetime). No I wrote it for my unborn children, and their children and for society and for others like me who as a child looked for answers but found nothing but empty religions or manipulative ones. For your children and community you really need to offer them a culture and community, not just the ideals of one man. You don't go to school and learn from one teacher. A culture never entirely springs from one mind. Anything worth its salt in human history is a collective undertaking (though the value of the personality also plays an important role).

Yet its not a big deal to me. I see that there are so few people like me in this world. They can fail or succeed by their own hand. I would just like to do better myself. If I can make a better book or cannon I will. If someone is interested in improving themselves or their own works I will work with them. If people don't want to work with me its fine. I'm pretty convinced of the correctness of my ideals and abilities. I look at most critics as being like a high school drop out trying to explain medicine to a college educated doctor. The high school drop out can call the doctor stupid or refuse to take his advice or work with him or whatever but the doctor remains confident in his own education and abilities. It doens't matter if 10 or 20 high school drop outs come together and scream in unison.

As far as this mythology book: I haven't really directed much criticism at it, with the exeption of those same questions that I've asked and pointing out how its not possible to create such a book that is true to historical Germanic lore. If someone publishes a book about the rites and rituals of the Atlantians I similarly don't need to read the book to ask the question "how do you know what the Atlantians did when there are no sources to reference?".

Valbiorn
Thursday, May 14th, 2009, 10:27 PM
I should have the book in a few days...
I think the price is definitely worth the effort put into writing it!

Hrodnand
Tuesday, February 16th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Does anyone have it already? I would be curious to hear some opinions.

velvet
Tuesday, February 16th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Does anyone have it already? I would be curious to hear some opinions.

Not worth the money, really.

The most texts are given only in summaries, just some poems or songs in original, and some sagas/stories are weirdly connected to tell some sort of story, which in fact is the very subjective view of the author what or how Asatru should be like.

It doesnt even serve well as source for cross referencies, the author just quotes his own works, which are only two (but wastes pages over pages with pointing to them over and over again).

So, really, better invest your money in something else ;)

Roemertreu
Monday, August 30th, 2010, 02:48 AM
I'm kinda curious as to why the Avesta is there and not some of the other European sources that we have (mobingon or Aeneid or Illiad) or even some of the more ancient forms of law for insight into what really goes on. It just seems to be that using sources that were geographicly and culturally closer to the Germanic pagan era would be more accurate than a source that comes from another continent in a different era under different conditions.

I'm not sure it's a critisism, I'm just not sure about your methods.