PDA

View Full Version : 'Guerilla Gardening': Planting on Abandoned Lots

Freigeistige
Friday, May 1st, 2009, 05:05 PM
Ever see an abandoned lot that could use some foliage? A grassy highway median that used to be tended? A park that has dried up or been overgrown? If you want, you could take this into your own hands.

In some places this is frowned upon, so you may have to be secretive. If you're the sneaky type, you can go to this neglected place in the middle of the night with your gardening tools and some plants or seeds, and make a new garden there for all to enjoy.

If it's someplace you can't reach, like some place that's fenced off, you can make seed grenades, which basically are clumps of wet fertile soil with seeds inside. Just toss them over the fence, and something is bound to grow. It's been done successfully even in old abandoned parking lots.

For more information, here is a Wikipedia article on the matter. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guerrilla_gardening)

Here is place to post "before" and "after" pictures of your endeavor. (http://www.guerrillagardening.org/ggtroopdigs.html)

Have fun, kids. :)

Aryianut
Friday, May 1st, 2009, 10:07 PM
What a silly idea. But, it seems like fun and I'm all for prettying things up:) When you wanna go?

Quo vadis
Friday, May 1st, 2009, 11:05 PM
Very cute. :)

Huginn ok Muninn
Saturday, May 2nd, 2009, 04:34 AM
Great idea.. let's try it with marijuana plants in the yards of leftist senators. ;)

Adaleiz
Tuesday, May 19th, 2009, 02:39 AM
At the same time, I'm all for transplanting and relocating natural food producing plants such as blueberry (or variations), blackberry, nut trees, ect. from their springtime volunteers to my house! :D
Disclaimer: Don't raid private property or take a mature plant!

einherjarNZ
Wednesday, June 3rd, 2009, 09:47 AM
Lol...great name for it.
The only guerrilla gardening we get down this end of the world is by dead heads planting dope in the middle of traffic islands.

Blood_Axis
Wednesday, June 3rd, 2009, 10:59 AM
I :love it! Thanks so much for sharing. This will be the topic for my next gardening article :thumbsup

Sigurd
Wednesday, June 3rd, 2009, 11:07 AM
Seed grenades launched at night. Perhaps with two guerilla gardening militias on either side of it? Definitely sounds like fun ... perfect idea for a summer evening amongst a bunch of bored mates. I know what I'll suggest. Can't leave all the fun to the leftists...;)

Only question: If it's an Irishman who threw the seed grenade - do you pull any pins out nonetheless and throw it back as well? :P

Stormraaf
Wednesday, June 3rd, 2009, 11:52 AM
This might be the answer to saving Stellenbosch's oaky character. Stellenbosch has the nickname Eikestad due to the large number of oak trees planted here by the first Dutch settlers. Apparently it's been decided not to replant any of these due to them not being indigenous to South Africa.

I say screw that. Oak trees have been around in SA for almost as long as we have, and it serves as a reminder of where we come from. Therefor we too should have an Eikestad Gardening Militia, always on the watch for when new (oh so indigenous) trees are being planted in public areas. At night the guerillas will dig these up and replace it with young oak trees, and leave its subsequent growth to the gardeners/caretakers here who typically can't distinguish between different types of young trees. :D

Vindefense
Wednesday, June 3rd, 2009, 01:04 PM
Posted by Stormraaf:

This might be the answer to saving Stellenbosch's oaky character. Stellenbosch has the nickname Eikestad due to the large number of oak trees planted here by the first Dutch settlers. Apparently it's been decided not to replant any of these due to them not being indigenous to South Africa.

I say screw that. Oak trees have been around in SA for almost as long as we have, and it serves as a reminder of where we come from. Therefor we too should have an Eikestad Gardening Militia, always on the watch for when new (oh so indeginous) trees are being planted in public areas. At night the guerillas will dig these up and replace it with young oak trees, and leave its subsequent growth to the gardeners/caretakers here who typically can't distinguish between different types of young trees.

That is so righteous on so many levels. :D It sounds like the Oak then and the Dutch face the same struggle in SA. Each now is bound to the fate of the other.

The Oak is a remarkable tree, highly revered by all Europeans. I encourage everyone to study the relationship of the Oak and the important influence it holds in the soul of the people. I also like, no I love the topic, thanks Freigeistige.:thumbup

Northumbria
Friday, January 6th, 2012, 04:50 PM
I've thought about this before, but more "Guerilla re-wilding" more than gardening.
I've harvested acorns and seeds from native plants and thrown them around places I felt need some more plants a few times.

I love this short story, "The man who planted trees" (http://www.perso.ch/arboretum/man_tree.htm). Basically I wouldn't mind doing that to areas of waste ground.