PDA

View Full Version : Skadi News

Nachtengel
Wednesday, April 29th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Skadi News has been posting too many news lately, almost like spamming the forum? I originally liked the idea, but now I think it's too spammy. Could the news be cut down on?

Gustavus Magnus
Thursday, April 30th, 2009, 11:45 AM
No, I like it. But perhaps you could turn it into an RSS plugin? The same way you can see the "Latest Headlines" from BBC directly in for example Firefox.

velvet
Thursday, April 30th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Skadi News has been posting too many news lately, almost like spamming the forum? I originally liked the idea, but now I think it's too spammy. Could the news be cut down on?

Yeah, thought that too. Specially the news where only the headline's written and the more link goes to google feeds or something seem a bit 'spammy', or half of The Local news are posted in a row... yeah it's interesting, but 30+ news a day makes it hard to follow the real discussions...
The very most news never got an answer, or just one, a discussion rarely follows

Sigurd
Thursday, April 30th, 2009, 02:39 PM
No, I like it. But perhaps you could turn it into an RSS plugin? The same way you can see the "Latest Headlines" from BBC directly in for example Firefox.

Skadi news is already mainly composed of RSS Feeds. If some already complain about what they see being a bit much, then you haven't seen the amount we have to delete for utter irrelevance before approving the threads.

What eventually gets posted is only a tiny fraction of what comes through. If we added an immediate plug-in to the boards without prior approval, then we'd be talking of close to 200.

Typically you will see no more than 10-15 of them posted, yesterday was an exception, where we approved over 30, because many of them appeared to be relevant to the forum orientation. Since yesterday was at large an inactive day on the board, it may have seemed all the more.

half of The Local news are posted in a row

Alas, we can't determine when Feeds come through. If we have let's say a German-language Feed, then all of its articles will come through to us at the same time. Even if we waited for hours between approving them, the original posting time would be listed as being the same.

Either way, we are currently looking into ways to refine the system, including possible changing some of the sources from which we receive the news. Please bear with us for a bit, we hope to have the system refined in a matter of days. :)

velvet
Thursday, April 30th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Okay ;)

But, hmm, just out of interest, how does it work? Forum receives RSS feeds and a background script creates threads out of them automatically (that you/moderators then have to approve)?
Maybe it would be more useful to create a display option in the top (like the latest posts one) and if people want to comment to the news then create the threat (with the relevant info like headline, source link...)? Hmm, okay, would maybe require a bit too much of special programming... ;)