PDA

View Full Version : Why Smoking Is Worse for Women

Triglav
Wednesday, May 19th, 2004, 02:09 PM
Why Smoking Is Worse for Women
By Molly M. Ginty

Lung cancer is increasing among women.

http://images.meredith.com/lhj/images/2002/10/p_womanwithlonghair.jpg

Though every smoker would benefit from kicking the habit, smoking is not an equal-opportunity health problem. Only 21 percent of adult women smoke, compared with 25 percent of men. But the latest research shows women smokers are more likely to get lung cancer than men. The occurrence of lung cancer in women has increased fourfold since 1965 and is the leading cause of cancer death for both genders. But female smokers are 2.7 times likelier to get lung cancer than male smokers, according to a recent study from New York Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell, in New York City. Women who smoke regularly also boost their risk for breast cancer by 30 percent, says the California Department of Health Services.

As researchers struggle to determine why smoking increases these diseases in women, one theory that has emerged is that women are susceptible to a mutation of the gene that assists in removing cigarettes' toxic effects from the body, says Marianne J. Legato, MD, founder of the Partnership for Gender Specific Medicine at Columbia University, in New York City. For tips on how to quit, visit www.americanlegacy.org or look for information on The Great American Smokeout at www.cancer.org

WarMaiden
Wednesday, May 19th, 2004, 03:46 PM
I'm glad i never smoked as i have zero willpower and would have been able to quit!

Hails

Esther_Helena
Wednesday, May 19th, 2004, 11:13 PM
ah, yet another reason for me not to smoke :D .

Other reasons being:
They smell like butt
My uncle died of emphasema, or however you spell it
My father had cancer
Funky monkey breath
Yellow teeth
My mother gets bronchitis
Both parents got grey hair before they were 30 (not sure if that's smoking related though)
You can't run worth anything.

Anne14
Wednesday, May 19th, 2004, 11:16 PM
I'm so glad I quit!

WarMaiden
Wednesday, May 19th, 2004, 11:30 PM
ah, yet another reason for me not to smoke :D .

Other reasons being:

Funky monkey breath (BARF) lol

My mother gets bronchitis (Mine too and my Sister)

WarMaiden
Wednesday, May 19th, 2004, 11:31 PM
I'm so glad I quit! You done a KICKASS job of quitting, maybe it was your internal guardian letting you know the seed was being planted for that wee one in your womb :D

Ominous Lord Spoonblade
Thursday, May 20th, 2004, 12:30 AM
We all have to die of something.

Though I suppose I should get on quitting smoking soon.

George
Thursday, May 20th, 2004, 12:37 AM
Smoking makes females much less attractive.

Mac Seafraidh
Thursday, May 20th, 2004, 10:39 AM
I hope to quit smoking soon, but I have no life. I am a vegetable.

VilhelMina
Friday, May 28th, 2004, 06:22 AM
We do not mean to dishearten long-term smokers. Despite smoking's irreversible effects, it would be foolish for a smoker to conclude that, after years of smoking, quitting would do them no good. Many studies prove that tobacco-related health effects decline substantially as time away from smoking increases; some of the benefits begin within months after quitting. But after years of exposure to the damaging effects of tobacco, quitting smokers must realize that they have to be realistic in their expectations of recouping their health.

Lifetime smokers often need help to quit successfully. This is our goal; to help our volk improve their lives and health.

WAU and WNB now have free smoking cessation kits.

Contents:

- Comprehensive quitting tips booklet
- Information on free individualized committed quitters support program
- Easy to read guides to help you choose the best product for you
- Mail in rebates for most major smoking cessation medications

If you would like to receive a free smoking cessation kit, please e-mail myself wau_california@yahoo.com or private message me for faster results.

Learn and live longer!