PDA

View Full Version : Gasoline Boycott May 19th

American Nationalist
Tuesday, May 18th, 2004, 01:08 AM
For American members of the forum, a boycott on gasoline will be on May 19th a wednesday. avoid gas stations on this day to protest the cost of fuel.

AngryPotato
Tuesday, May 18th, 2004, 04:19 AM
The gas stations will just do a 1/2 off sale to get people in. I'm with you on the 19th. The producers and peddlers of oil will feel the sting of my wallet on that day!

American Nationalist
Tuesday, May 18th, 2004, 11:10 PM
It will end up only being a token resistance, but it's better then doing nothing at all. The politicians are silent on this issue. What about Ethanol? Here's a short blurb from a web site on this fuel: "Ethanol is an alcohol made from renewable resources like corn and wheat. Grains are processed with enzymes and the "mash" is distilled to produce a high quality alcohol. Fuel grade ethanol is about 99% pure alcohol and has a number of important properties to it that make it an excellent fuel additive for your car. " If you want to read more go to this site: http://www.ethanol-crfa.ca/factshome.htm Ok, so we could basically help out American farmers and make our own fuel. Hmmmm.....this seems to extract our (the U.S.) asses out of any involvement with the middle east. If Oil is needed for any other function we have plenty in Pennsylvania, Texas and Alaska. This seems all to simple to me. Ahhh! that's right....I didn't factor in the politicians, the lobbyists, and everyone else that stands to gain from the status quo. Similiar solutions like this would help out our European friends as well.

ARYANOUTLAW S.S.
Thursday, May 20th, 2004, 11:41 PM
Damn i missed this one.Was at gas station yesterday didnt see no boycott.But i would have to buy gas anyways it would have been a long walk to the farm i am working at for a few days.You must live in the city or something. S.S.

Dr. Solar Wolff
Friday, May 21st, 2004, 04:55 AM
It will end up only being a token resistance, but it's better then doing nothing at all. The politicians are silent on this issue. What about Ethanol? Here's a short blurb from a web site on this fuel: "Ethanol is an alcohol made from renewable resources like corn and wheat. Grains are processed with enzymes and the "mash" is distilled to produce a high quality alcohol. Fuel grade ethanol is about 99% pure alcohol and has a number of important properties to it that make it an excellent fuel additive for your car. " If you want to read more go to this site: http://www.ethanol-crfa.ca/factshome.htm Ok, so we could basically help out American farmers and make our own fuel. Hmmmm.....this seems to extract our (the U.S.) asses out of any involvement with the middle east. If Oil is needed for any other function we have plenty in Pennsylvania, Texas and Alaska. This seems all to simple to me. Ahhh! that's right....I didn't factor in the politicians, the lobbyists, and everyone else that stands to gain from the status quo. Similiar solutions like this would help out our European friends as well.

I didn't buy gasoline on the 19th.

There are some problems with alcohol as a fuel in the internal combustion engine. The alcohol under consideration is of two types, methanol (wood alcohol) and ethanol (grain alcohol). Methanol has proven totally unsatisfactory as a fuel and is not even under condideration any longer. Ethanol sounds wonderful, renewable, cheap, domestic and even possible to produce using recombinant DNA techniques using algea. But, there is a big problem. Ethanol is also called "the universal organic solvent". It will cut through almost anything organic as a cleaning agent, for instance. What happens in the auto engine is that this solvent ability destroys the car's lubrication, especially in the region of the rings and cylinders, causing pre-mature wear. Also, the caloric content of alcohol is much lower than gasoline which slows down the buring time of gasoline but allows for greater air-fuel compression and/or an advance in engine ignition timing. What all this means is that either an all alcohol engine is necessary or only about 10% ethanol can be used in gasohol fuels (which is what we do in the USA). What is really needed is a high-compresssion, wankel engine which is lubricated via a pressurized oil pump at the critical points rather than by splash lubrication. This is expensive, Porsche has tried this at various times, but it should be done and we, in the USA, should drive our cars on alcohol.