PDA

View Full Version : Why Do Philosophy?

Moody
Monday, May 17th, 2004, 04:16 PM
I accept that Philosophy is not a mainstream activity - although philosophies have had a profound effect on world history.

I would go as far as saying that Philosophy is a very ARYAN activity.

However, I want to ask the most basic philosophical question of Philosophy itself - "WHY?"

Why do it?

I have put some reasons in a Poll for involvement's sake, but would welcome any other 'reasons' and expansions thereon.

http://www.findinghomesforyou.com/philosopher.jpg
Philosopher gives the world the finger.

Awar
Monday, May 17th, 2004, 04:35 PM
I think all of the above. Very nicely selected answers though.
The most important to me being conduct, choices and survival.
These have the deepest consequences on everything.

(Philosophy is definitely NOT an Aryan-only activity)

Moody
Monday, May 17th, 2004, 05:35 PM
I think all of the above. Very nicely selected answers though.
The most important to me being conduct, choices and survival.
These have the deepest consequences on everything.

(Philosophy is definitely NOT an Aryan-only activity)

Try and put those choices in an order of preference, then.
I'm wondering whether we can see these choices as reflecting the various Aryan archetypes - the Dionysian, Apollonian, Wotanish, Faustian etc.,

I say that Philosophy as we know it [i.e., as an activity DISTINCT from religion] only grows where Aryan blood has been in any significant quantity [Asia, China, Europe etc.,].

Jack
Thursday, July 1st, 2004, 01:03 PM
I became interested in philosophy, first as a mental exercise, and then as a means to understand life. Since then I have had a huge problem with simply not knowing about things I'm interested in. If I have an interest in something, ignorance is torture.

Ederico
Thursday, July 1st, 2004, 01:17 PM
Personally I was driven to it and attracted to it in my quest for further Knowledge and to further destroy the Ignorance within me. Therefore in the poll I voted knowledge.

On the other hand other factors apply, if it was a multiple-choice Poll I would have selected Knowledge, Conduct, Choices, and Understanding.

Also, the factors I excluded are in my opinion combined to the rest. As Francis Bacon said in 1597 Knowledge is Power and to that I would have to agree to a certain extent depending differently on the types of Knowledge involved. Information in this age is a key to success more than ever, Information could be taken as a part of Knowledge. Also Survival might depend on one's Power and thus Knowledge, but also on the other factors listed above.

The development of the Intellect and the examination of Philosophical Inquiries from various sources is a Liberating Force, a liberation from ignorance and its ensuing Mediocrity.

Scoob
Thursday, July 1st, 2004, 04:38 PM
Philosophy elevates human existence above the mechanical labor of day to day activity. Philosophers look at and talk about the deep assumptions most people make about the world - they are the engineers of the human thought Matrix. And hence they can determine overall behavioral outcomes of behavior subtlely and yet on a grand scale.

Thulean Imperial Inquisitor
Friday, July 16th, 2004, 12:18 AM
I choose power. I am always seeking knowledge and understanding only to use it as power. I have been seeking for this many, many years...

I have had a vision of a new empire since I was a child. I wish to learn anything and everything that would help me fulfill my vision. I have great interest in philosophy and I belive that philosophy is indeed the blueprint of human thoughts. Perhaps I will fulfill my visions, perhaps I will not... but I know by Wotan, that I am ready to die trying...

Moody
Wednesday, July 21st, 2004, 06:03 PM
"Ignorance is torture" says Jack [and not 'ignorance is bliss'].

I doubt this - else we all [even Jack] would be in a continual state of torture.

We're not in 'bliss' either!

Not torture.
Not bliss.

Not even power. For if 'knowledge is power', then why is GW Bush President of the world's only Hyper-Power?!?

Is it because, as we become more philosophical, so we become less interested in worldy things?

Ah it is an INNER POWER that we seek in philosophy!

Nothing to do with knowledge/ignorance as such - only to do with this innner power.

Alkman
Wednesday, July 21st, 2004, 08:22 PM
Keeps me away from Churches! ;)

Bismark
Monday, January 31st, 2005, 07:25 AM
The word philosophy meaning “love of wisdom” was coined in Greece around 600bce by Pythagoras, the first to call himself a philosopher (a lover of wisdom). Since that time later philosophers have broken philosophy down into four major fields, metaphysics, epistemology, value-theory, and logic. Metaphysics is the branch of philosophy that is concerned with questions of the physical nature, such as, ‘what is reality?’ Epistemology is the field of philosophy that devotes it self to questioning ‘what is knowledge’, and ‘what does it mean to know?’ Value-theory, as the name implies questions the value of things, both things of the physical nature, and things surreal nature, such as laws and morals. Logic, although considered a field of philosophy, is more a tool used by philosophers to investigate philosophical questions in a sensible, realistic manner.

As with any field of study, those who do the studying have many different approaches. Philosophy is no different; philosophers have four different methods in which they may philosophize called conceptions, the four conceptions are: speculative, analytical, existential, and phenomenological. Speculative philosophers philosophize over broad areas to make sense of existence on the whole perspective. Analytical philosophers analyze language, concepts, and ideas in an attempt to clarify meaning. Existential philosophers philosophize on issues, as the name implies about our existence, and the purpose of our existence. Phenomenological philosophers philosophize from the human perspective focusing on studying the world through the human experience.

If Philosophy is a study of man's curiosity of the world around him through questioning, then today’s sciences are man’s knowledge of the world around him gained from questioning. After all, were not all of today's Sciences once Philosophies? Perhaps to philosophize is to question, and to study scientifically, is to have the answer to the question.

Siegmund
Monday, January 31st, 2005, 08:31 AM
The word philosophy meaning “love of wisdom” was coined in Greece around 600bce by Pythagoras, the first to call himself a philosopher (a lover of wisdom).
Three of my favorite definitions of philosophy are those of Albinus, G.W.F. Hegel, and William James. According to Albinus, a 2nd century Platonist:

Philosophy is a striving after wisdom or a release and a redirecting of the soul from the body that occurs when we turn ourselves to the intelligible world and the things which truly are.
G.W.F. Hegel, the great German Idealist and arguably the greatest philosopher of all, at the dawn of the 19th century saw philosophy not so much as a love for or striving after wisdom but rather:

... the actual cognition of what truly is
William James, an American Pragmatist from an ancient Irish and Scottish heritage wrote 100 years later:

Philosophers are after all like poets. They are pathfinders. What every one can feel, what every one can know in the bone and marrow of him, they sometimes can find words for and express.... They give you a direction and a place to reach. They do not give you the integral forest with all its sunlit glories and its moonlit witcheries and wonders.
My own view is that each of these definitions is valid: philosophy is both the earnest pursuit and apprehension of truth, glimpsed as much in poetic flashes of intuition as in heroic feats of intellect.

Wjatscheslaw
Wednesday, March 1st, 2006, 01:37 AM
Philosophy unleash’s ones mind (Spirit) (...from illusory limitation's) and makes one to look at the illusions as at the illusion, at the reality as at the reality. The main problem is to differ one from another ;) , since the reality full of illusions (myths) about reality, which giving sequential the only true explanation “what happens around us”.

Moody
Friday, March 24th, 2006, 07:03 PM
For my own part, philosophy is a habit of thinking which continually reaches back to the why? of all things.

While science uses the method of experimentation to discover the what and wherefore of existence, it can never tell us the why? of existence; indeed, scientists leave this question to philosophers.

Therefore philosophy does not depend upon anything outside human cognition; it is about thinking first & last. No laboratories are necessary - even books are unnecessary [hence Socrates not writing down his thoughts but only speaking them].

Indeed, there a is quality to thought itself that cannot be captured in the attempted speaking of those thoughts.
Language is a blunt tool when it comes to expressing those thoughts.

Speaking is at least preferable to writing; so much is lost when thoughts are written down - the best philosophers preferred to use the expression of speech rather than writing.

So we might say, for example, that there are things out there called 'problems'.
We can approach those problems - depending on what they are - as a scientist [using experiment etc.,], or as a politician [devising policy etc.,], or as an artist [expressing via the media of clour, sound, shape etc.,], or as a philosopher [using thought etc.,].

So I would answer the question;
"What is philosophy really?"
by saying that philosophy is thought; thinking about thinking, thinking about existence & its problems, & its whys?.

Hrafn
Monday, May 29th, 2006, 09:31 PM
While all of the above are important, i can't choose between these:

Understanding: This is WHY I do it
Knowledge: This is comes automatically by doing it.

Power: This is what I get in the end, and, through power I get new understanding.

Enibas
Tuesday, May 30th, 2006, 12:39 AM
I think all this points connect with each other.

1. Knowlege - this is for me the basic

2. Unterstanding - if I have knowlege, I´m able to understand

3. Choices - if i understand facts, I can make choices

4. Conduct - to conduct one´s life, it is important to make the right choices

5. Power - the right conduct of life gives me power

6. Survival - with enough power I will survive.

Frau_Hierl
Tuesday, May 30th, 2006, 10:27 AM
To understand life in all its aspects, to get answers for abstract questions, to learn more about social and political connections as well as finding out the most understandably theorie I can commit and try to perform.

Jack
Tuesday, May 30th, 2006, 01:43 PM
"Ignorance is torture" says Jack [and not 'ignorance is bliss'].

I doubt this - else we all [even Jack] would be in a continual state of torture.

Of course. However, I should correct myself: perhaps the inability to accept my own ignorance. Actually, if I was asked the question again, I would say philosophy has taught me how to think.

Arrian
Tuesday, August 1st, 2006, 07:20 PM
Some people believe direct experience is better than a bunch of texts, but there are texts, that in a verse, even in a line, can compress a 1000 years of experienced life with such intensity, that they can strike right at your heart and equal that direct experience. Nevermind lines, even so much as a word, can reverberate with your being

I don't do philosophy for wisdom, to get to somewhere, or to make up for any experiential/empirical poverty...

Its because it is with whom you can howl, and lick your heart into vision.

Its the mannerism of a lone wolf following its own blood-trails...

Real wine is the blood of a warrior that stays inert and dark and dry for ages, internally brewing, like antique bottles locked up in a secret cellar, and then one day, by its own fragrance, it announces itself out... and clearer and sweeter than water... time-pressed words and visions flow out...

By the word alone is the non-word revealed.

Philosophy, concepts, ideas, etc. - no one says they are sufficient or complete, but through them what is complete, what cannot be spoken- takes a certain shape... its like keeping an object on a sheet and spray painting all over and when the object is removed, that spot alone is plain - where words cannot be sprayed, it leaves the shape of the object - this was possible because we sprayed the rest of the sheet with words, thoughts, colours, ideas...

Its war, its wine, its war-poetry, its wild-hunt, and the love-for-wisdom as philosophy is, the love turns to a resolve...

For me it is not about asking 'why?', but 'why not?'. I like the thrill, the dare, the weighing.

I do philosophy because nothing else best allows for cultivating self-honesty as it does.
And that kind of courage from self-honesty (should it prevail) is all the beauty one can bestow on life.

So, to me, though the option of 'power' is involved, the ends for me is about adding beauty (in any whichever way).

Moody
Wednesday, August 2nd, 2006, 05:50 PM
I do philosophy because nothing else best allows for cultivating self-honesty as it does.

I think that's a good point.

It makes me come to this answer;

'Why do philosophy? Because religion is never enough'.

I would go as far as to say that to an Aryan, religion is never enough.

Perhaps that's because the Aryan is a god; and a god, if he is to be anything, can only be a philosopher.

The philosopher's life a demonstration of ethics in action.

Therefore the philosopher also lives his philosophy.

Philosophy fights against all that is 'common' in humanity.

Siegmund
Sunday, December 3rd, 2006, 10:35 PM
Summarizing both the philosopher's task and the philosopher's reward, Plato says:

In no way can it be uttered, as can other things, which one can learn. Rather, from out of a full, co-existential dwelling with the thing itself - as when a spark, leaping from the fire, flares into light - so it happens, suddenly, in the soul, there to grow, alone with itself.

-Via Heidegger in his speech on the occasion of Husserl's 70th birthday, 8 April 1929, from Plato's (possibly apocryphal) Seventh Letter.

AlbionMP
Sunday, December 3rd, 2006, 11:50 PM
Aldous Huxley explains Sheldon classification of the Human Constitution and Temperament:

* Endomorphic, a soft rounded physical constitution, given to Viscerotonia. They love food, indulgence, comfort, emotional attachment, social events and find it difficult to be alone.

* Mesomorphic, a hard, big boned, muscular constitution, given to Somatotonia. They like activity, agressive behaviour, power, callousness, combat, a need for youth.

* Ectomorphic, a slender, weak in muscle, stringy, sensitive constitution, given to Cerebrotonia. They like to think, imagine, day-dream, and do Philosophy.

The Cerebrotonics are the brains of a social group.

It is the Cerebrotonics who carry out the thinking also known as Philosophy, for the social group they inhabit. This is a Natural system, that Philosophers people are born with the Brains, whilst others are born with a more active Body or are born with greater Social skills.