PDA

View Full Version : Attachment Size

Thorburn
Saturday, May 15th, 2004, 04:10 PM
Should the permissible attachment size be increased?

(Currently: 1 MB for all file types.)

bocian
Saturday, May 15th, 2004, 04:28 PM
Should be increased, it would be nice to share bigger files.

Johannes de León
Saturday, May 15th, 2004, 04:39 PM
yes, that would be good, i remember one time when i wanted to upload a file with ~1200 kb and i couldn't, so, i voted on 5-10 mb because it is good to share some .mp3 files with interesting stuff!

Milesian
Saturday, May 15th, 2004, 04:39 PM
Yeah, that would definately be a bonus!

800mb might be a bit excessive, but upto 5-10mb to let us upload music and stuff would be most welcome. :)

bocian
Saturday, May 15th, 2004, 04:42 PM
Yeah, that would definately be a bonus!

800mb might be a bit excessive, but upto 5-10mb to let us upload music and stuff would be most welcome. :)

I had 800mb in mind. :)

Johannes de León
Saturday, May 15th, 2004, 04:43 PM
oops, i have noticed now that i accidently voted for the first option... :doh

well, but i wanted to vote on the second one!

Frans_Jozef
Saturday, May 15th, 2004, 04:51 PM
2-5MB is more than sufficient; I have some large PDF document stored somewhere in this laptop of mine, but I cant remember in which file I dumped them in all hats and now it's like searching a needle in a haystack...not that many make an effort to open these documents or read through to the last sentence... :D

Zyklop
Saturday, May 15th, 2004, 04:52 PM
5-10MB would come in handy, but only if it doesn´t slow down the server.

Thorburn
Saturday, May 15th, 2004, 05:03 PM
5-10MB would come in handy, but only if it doesn´t slow down the server.
It doesn't. HTTP accesses (file transfers) put hardly any strain on the server (fractions of a promille of CPU time). MySQL (database) requests are what produces most of the load.

Attachments are not stored in the database but in the file system; only their reference is in the database. Thus, it doesn't matter of what size they are. It takes the same mySQL effort to find them regardless of size. Once they are found, Apache takes over.

If you go to http://www.skadi.net/ (which is just HTML via HTTP without any SSI, CGI, PHP, not to mention mySQL) you will see that it always comes up extremely fast. Forum page requests (and in particular the Forum Home which has to run ample of table scans and queries through a hundreds of megs database) take longer.

rusalka
Saturday, May 15th, 2004, 05:49 PM
Voted for 5 to 10 MB as I think sharing mp3s would be interesting and some PDF files can come in enormous sizes if they're e-books. I first checked out it if it was going to slow down the server and since it's not going to, wouldn't hurt right? :)

Awar
Sunday, May 16th, 2004, 02:07 AM
I vote for 2-5, so Euclides can post all the PDF's he wants :)

Nordhammer
Sunday, May 16th, 2004, 04:17 AM
Who the hell has the bandwidth to upload 800MB?:D And not many people have that download bandwidth either. :)

I voted 2-5.

bocian
Sunday, May 16th, 2004, 04:27 AM
Who the hell has the bandwidth to upload 800MB?:D And not many people have that download bandwidth either. :)

I might, I can upload at around 100kb/s.

Download 600Kb/s.

It would take me about two hours to upload, and about 20 minutes to download a large 700-800 mb file. I think this is sufficient

Maybe if some sort of speed requirement was implemented...
3 megs down, 800k down for example.

Just thinking out loud. :D

An increase to 10mb would at least be sufficient for good quality mp3's.

Nordhammer
Sunday, May 16th, 2004, 04:39 AM
I might, I can upload at around 100kb/s.

Download 600Kb/s.

It would take me about two hours to upload, and about 20 minutes to download a large 700-800 mb file. I think this is sufficient

Maybe if some sort of speed requirement was implemented...
3 megs down, 800k down for example.

Just thinking out loud. :D

An increase to 10mb would at least be sufficient for good quality mp3's.

Your bandwidth is measured in bits or bytes?

bocian
Sunday, May 16th, 2004, 05:22 AM
Bits. I get about 4.7mbit down and 800kbit up.

That would transfer to about 600 kilobytes and 90-100 up, while downloading.

Nordhammer
Sunday, May 16th, 2004, 05:48 AM
Damn, I wish I could get that. Is that the standard bandwidth in your area or is that a special dedicated line?

bocian
Sunday, May 16th, 2004, 05:57 AM
Damn, I wish I could get that. Is that the standard bandwidth in your area or is that a special dedicated line?

I just got it a few days ago, along with a new Docsis modem.

For the last couple of years I averaged anywhere from 1-1.5 mbit down.
The cable company advertised 3. :|

Then a few days ago I stumbled on some info that my Isp was providing a 5mbit upgrade to whoever was willing to shell out $80 cdn for a brand new Docsis modem. It was really a no brainer, the monthly price stays the same, plus I don't rent a modem anymore, but actually own it.

Of course going from 1mbit to 5 is pretty sweet, all the more sweeter when the price stays the same. Did I mention no caps as well? :P

Dsl is usually around the 3mbit range. I currently have Cable.

Nordhammer
Sunday, May 16th, 2004, 06:11 AM
I just got it a few days ago, along with a new Docsis modem.

For the last couple of years I averaged anywhere from 1-1.5 mbit down.
The cable company advertised 3. :|

Then a few days ago I stumbled on some info that my Isp was providing a 5mbit upgrade to whoever was willing to shell out $80 cdn for a brand new Docsis modem. It was really a no brainer, the monthly price stays the same, plus I don't rent a modem anymore, but actually own it.

Of course going from 1mbit to 5 is pretty sweet, all the more sweeter when the price stays the same. Did I mention no caps as well? :P

Dsl is usually around the 3mbit range. I currently have Cable.

You lucky SOB. :) The most I can get here is 3mbit down and 384kbit up, and that's $65 a month. Maybe we will get some kind of major upgrade soon, but I doubt it, providers here are stingy.

Julius
Sunday, May 16th, 2004, 02:54 PM
If there's space for 800 Mb, why not?

Hardly anyone would upload that much anyway, but sometimes 10 Mb is too small, eg. for movie clips.

Here in 10 Mbit land even 800 Mb is too little. :)

Nordhammer
Sunday, May 16th, 2004, 05:29 PM
Maybe funding members should get the 800MB space, as an incentive to donate. :)

Glenlivet
Sunday, May 16th, 2004, 07:47 PM
Yes, we are lucky to be in 10 mbit land :).

I could upload films but Nordhammer's idea is also good.

I would be satisfied with 5-10 mb. That is enough for .mp3.

If there's space for 800 Mb, why not?

Hardly anyone would upload that much anyway, but sometimes 10 Mb is too small, eg. for movie clips.

Here in 10 Mbit land even 800 Mb is too little. :)

Nordhammer
Sunday, May 16th, 2004, 08:22 PM
Yes, we are lucky to be in 10 mbit land :).

I could upload films but Nordhammer's idea is also good.

I would be satisfied with 5-10 mb. That is enough for .mp3.

You have 10mbits upload and download? :-O Is that your home line or at the university?

The modem has potential for 10 or 100mbit, but they cap us. Stingy bastages. To get back at them I constantly saturate my entire upload 24/7. :D I upload 50+ gigs a month.

Glenlivet
Sunday, May 16th, 2004, 09:14 PM
http://www.isa.se/templates/News____24932.aspx

I have a 10 mbit fiber optic, symmetric connection at home. I think it is called T3, right? It is of course good for video conference (although less would be fine too) and downloading a film in 10-15 min. from another person with the same kind of connection. I can download with over 1 mbyte/s. I can upload with the same. Strangely enough I have seen my download reach over 3 mb/s, which is higher than I should have.

Bolina in Southern Sweden give 10 mbits, Bornet locally in Fristad, Bostream in major cities, Bredbandsbolaget (they will soon give 100 for homes) in many cities across the country. Nowadays many ISP's give ADSL up to 8 mbit/s. Enod give wlan up to 11 mbits. Finet for only Finsprång is very expensive but they plan 100 mbit for the city. Globecom in central and southern Sweden give 2-10. Gothnet (in Göteborg/Gothenburg) provide up to 10. Others that give 10 mbits are Ipbolaget, IP-Only, Jämtkraft and Kemam Bredband, vattenfall, Lidén data, Lunds Stadsnät and Telia. That is not the whole list though, there are a few more. Some cover only a city, others several cities. People living in flats have usually more options, sometimes also contacts between ISP's and the housing company.

Here in the north we have a lot of IT ventures. However, like everywhere else there is a lot of unemployment in the IT industry.

So I guess that Nordids rule ;).

You have 10mbits upload and download? :-O Is that your home line or at the university?

The modem has potential for 10 or 100mbit, but they cap us. Stingy bastages. To get back at them I constantly saturate my entire upload 24/7. :D I upload 50+ gigs a month.

Nordhammer
Sunday, May 16th, 2004, 10:05 PM
http://www.isa.se/templates/News____24932.aspx

I have a 10 mbit fiber optic, symmetric connection at home. I think it is called T3, right? It is of course good for video conference (although less would be fine too) and downloading a film in 10-15 min. from another person with the same kind of connection. I can download with over 1 mbyte/s. I can upload with the same. Strangely enough I have seen my download reach over 3 mb/s, which is higher than I should have.

GD homeboy... having a T3 in your house here would be very expensive. Thousands per month. How much do you pay for that?

T3 is usually 45mbps though. Sounds more like an equivalent of a multiple T1.

Glenlivet
Sunday, May 16th, 2004, 10:46 PM
I feel ashamed now :). It is also quite cheap. 240 Swedish Krona (crownes) per month. That is 30,37 USD for today on the rate of Forex. My ISP provide this speed for probably the cheapest price in the country. Maybe there are as cheap in some smaller towns but I do not then know about it.

GD homeboy... having a T3 in your house here would be very expensive. Thousands per month. How much do you pay for that?

Julius
Sunday, May 16th, 2004, 10:53 PM
I've read Bredbandsbolaget charge 320 SEK which is about $40,5 a month for 10 Mbit/s in both directions.

Glenlivet
Sunday, May 16th, 2004, 11:06 PM
They have both 10 mbit/s fiber optic and DSL (telejack). They also have 100 mbit/s fiber optic and 24 mbit/s DSL.

I do not have Bredbandsbolaget though.

See about their 100 mbit/s offer:
http://www.bredbandsbolaget.se/se/content.jsp?t=2&s=3&m=302

They have a traffic quotient of 300 GB/month though. It is still a lot. I do not have a limit. I doubt that I need more than 5-10 GB/month. Besides, I cannot buy new harddrives all the time. There's just not enough time for all the entertainment found out there :).

I've read Bredbandsbolaget charge 320 SEK which is about $40,5 a month for 10 Mbit/s in both directions.