PDA

View Full Version : Why Don't We Create New Gods?

Psychonaut
Tuesday, March 10th, 2009, 05:09 AM
The following is a excerpt from Nietzsche's The Anti-Christ:

19. That the strong races of northern Europe have not repudiated the Christian God certainly reflects no credit on their talent for religion--not to speak of their taste. They ought to have felt compelled to have done with such a sickly and decrepit product of decadence. But there lies a curse on them for not having had done with it: they have taken up sickness, old age, contradiction into all their instincts--since then they have failed to create a God! Almost two millennia and not a single new God! But still, and as if existing by right, like an ultimate and maximum of the God-creating force, of the creator spiritus in man, this pitiable God of Christian monotono-theism! This hybrid of the void, conceptualism and contradiction, this picture of decay, in which all decadence instincts, all cowardliness and weariness of soul have their sanction!

Springing off from this paragraph, why have we polytheists who have been freed from our Christian shackles created no new Gods? Are we still plagued by a Christian influenced aversion to it? Or have we refrained due to our folkish zeal for preservation? What are your thoughts?

Hrodnand
Tuesday, March 10th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Interesting thoughts. Though I would be reluctant to rush when it's about bringing new ways upon old ones. 2000 years is a large period of time and whenever it's about passing to a new path there's always the danger of decadency, from a point of view that concerns the integrity of heathens.
We identify ourselves as germanic heathens by following and adapting ourselves to the old values and traditions of our germanic forefathers. This is something that unites us in a way. However, considering this short period of time since heathenism has been reawakened I see a possible danger in creating new values or gods. I'm not opposing the idea that a certain evolution is needed in germanic heathenism, but I consider it wise to go more profoundly in the old ways and learn more about the "basic" before something totally new is being created. The heathen ideas have been oppressed and influenced for too long by values that are alien to them, let alone mention nowadays decadent way of life. Considering these, there lies the danger of creating something less successful/worthy than our forefathers have done and then there lies the danger of decadency among germanic heathens within this.

rainman
Tuesday, March 10th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Of course people will disagree with me, but from everything I understand the gods are two primary things:

1) ancestors
2) Psychic forces

In regard to ancestors, well you honor the memory of your own ancestors. The more basic gods that are common to us all are cultural ancestors. Some could say hitler has become god-like to some followers. His existance seems to parallel some theories as to the origins of people like Odin (once a great king).

In regards to psychic forces they are limited. They are part of nature like electricity or magnetism. Pretty much they have already been named. It's like discovering a new element or something at some point you've already named them all.

If anything we have too many gods. This is because the same god has 1,000 different names depending on what tribe or region was honoring it. In the old tradition there were two primary groups of gods: 1) the state gods or racial gods. 2) familial gods. I think possibly with a patron god for the family (no different than a patron saint in modern terms) perhaps new ones should be created but this is only for individuals. Other than that it doesn't make sense.

Of course people have argued with me online that Odin, Thor and all them are real beings sitting on a cloud somewhere. I guess everybody has their own views.

Ox_clauson
Tuesday, March 10th, 2009, 08:43 AM
If the gods are our Elder Kin whom we honor,and our elder kin are our ancestors whom we honor. Our ancestors are our folk whose souls have moved on. Then yes, its the cycle of life. I think our heritage has been so smothered by Christians and there strait to the goal ultimatum. Pop yer born you live and you die heaven or hell goal met right.. Most of the Folk have forgotten the cycle. Things die, then they comback stronger new leaves are "created" and so on.

NUXiY
Tuesday, March 10th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Whatever gods you worship, you realize that they are your gods, the product of your own mind, terrible or amiable, as you may choose to depict them. You hold them in your hand, and play with them, as a child with its paper dolls; for you have learned not to fear them, that they are but the "imaginations of your heart."

Non Serviam.

rainman
Tuesday, March 10th, 2009, 08:51 AM
If the gods are our Elder Kin whom we honor,and our elder kin are our ancestors whom we honor. Our ancestors are our folk whose souls have moved on. Then yes, its the cycle of life. I think our heritage has been so smothered by Christians and there strait to the goal ultimatum. Pop yer born you live and you die heaven or hell goal met right.. Most of the Folk have forgotten the cycle. Things die, then they comback stronger new leaves are "created" and so on.

check out the song "leaves' eyes" by the band leaves' eyes. It's about precisely that.