PDA

View Full Version : Irminenschaft: 'Germanic Heathenry - A Practical Guide', by James Hjuka Coulter

Siegfried
Wednesday, December 8th, 2004, 06:30 PM
Germanic Heathenry
James Hjuka Coulter

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1410765857/qid=1102530307/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/102-2467700-7240164

I've been thinking about getting this book. Do any of you know it? If so, what do you think about it?

:hve­rungur:
Wednesday, December 8th, 2004, 07:28 PM
He posts on my forum, its a good book and he is a good guy. I would recomend you get it :)

Grimsteinr
Friday, March 6th, 2009, 01:42 PM
I've had it awhile and browse through it from time to time. It is an interesting Germanic Tribalist take on the Heathen Recontruction. Many of the Terms used are "Germanic", rather than Asatru/ Icelandic.

I have participated in a Blot/Faining done by the author of the book, as well as a Summal, set up and done in the way he describes, at a large Asatru Gathering. I have to say, several things, adaptations they used in the Blot/Faining, resonated with myself and several of my Kindred. We now use some of them in ours. He also uses a Jullechter, a little candle lamp, symbolically, in his ritual practice. We don't have one of those. Does anyone use one of those, a Jullechter?

Has anyone here had any experience with this style/method of Blot/Faining, or Summal?
Does anyone here belong to the organization, Irminenschaft the Organization James Coulter leads?

rainman
Saturday, March 7th, 2009, 02:45 AM
I read the book and didn't like it. But I guess to each his own. One of the main things is he tries to set up this "different" religion. Like mainland German practice is different from the traditional Scandanavian based Asatru. It's all the same religion its just that each group is going to have its own variations. A book should only offer suggestions the group (tribe/hof/church) adapts itself. So I don't see how the division is useful.

Sigurd
Tuesday, March 10th, 2009, 02:42 AM
Yes, I read Hjuka's book - an excellent work, very resourceful. I can only recommend it. Especially since it focusses a lot on the continental traditions, which are oft left out by many.

As to the Tribalist approach to Heathenry - I am in two minds about it. All-Germanic Heathenry and Tribalist Heathenry, in my view, should be used cumulatively rather than exclusively from each other.

A group of German or English Heathens who blˇt together might well adopt some local practices into the ritual, honour local cultural nations and heroes, etc. --- but should at the same time not forget the larger all-Germanic foundation of the faith. If I invited an Englishman to my Blot then he might well feel alienated...

A problem I see with many "Asatru" groups is that they focus overly at the Icelandic practices of Heathenry. I see similar problems with some groups who overly focus on the English tradition, or the German tradition. They become overly divisive and see the Mercian interpretation of our ancient faith to be pretty much totally distinct from the Northumbrian, forgetting both about the religio-cultural continuum and overarching spiritual identity.

In the OR, we take a more "pan-Folk" perspective: We accept the fact that not only one group of Germanics practiced our ancestral faith whilst still allowing for the Hearths to take into account local customs and notions. In a way we believe that both a more regional/national and a more pan-Germanic conception of the faith need not be in opposition but can well work together. :thumbup

Vinland_Hammer
Thursday, April 28th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Definitely the book to get on the religion. I know James personally and there is nobody's word I would trust more than his. Informative and well-written. I know I'm late on posting, but this could be useful to future seekers

Grimsteinr
Wednesday, May 4th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Indeed, it is a very good book to get and read or study, depending on your level of Interest in Germanic Religion. The book is well worth the price.
I've known Jim for several years. And, I've stood at Blot with him on numerous occasions at national Asatru Gatherings.
He's a good man. His Blots are great.

asatrur
Thursday, June 16th, 2011, 08:48 PM
I am currently reading this and have to say so far, it is a very good book. It has opened my eyes some other sides to Germanic Heathenry.

Thorwald
Friday, June 17th, 2011, 12:30 PM
I thought it was very refreshing. It concentrated on the sacredness of Hearth and Home instead of the viking warrior mentality.

Don't get me wrong, sometime you got to be a warrior. But I think Heathenry should be less about going a-Viking and more about building a homestead. And Coulter nails it on that account.

Rothhammer
Monday, October 10th, 2011, 03:21 AM
I recently bought the book. I just started getting into Heathenry and it's hitting on subjects I thought needed to be addressed. Liking it so far.