PDA

View Full Version : A Minimum Price for Alcoholic Beverages?

Sigurd
Tuesday, March 3rd, 2009, 05:55 PM
The Scottish governing party (minority government), the SNP, has yesterday suggested that it wishes to introduce a legally enforcable minimum price for alcohol to cut down on the ever-growing number of alcohol-related diseases and in fact, alcohol-related deaths. This would make them the first European country to do so.

When I heard this - I immediately felt that this was an excellent idea for a discussion topic. My own opinion I will offer in a post of its own.

Do you think it is a good initiative? Why, why not? Do you think it is effective? Should further steps be taken into this direction? Should only specific drinks have a minimum price - if so, why?

A poll has also been added.

TheGreatest
Tuesday, March 3rd, 2009, 06:09 PM
Minimal price? I never once found a pint in Scotland that was being sold at a reasonable rate

Imperator X
Tuesday, March 3rd, 2009, 06:44 PM
It infuriates me that in a bar, beer in the States costs $5.00 - $6.00. In my mother's day it cost $1.50. This is just a tip of the hat to a Puritanical ethic. A 6 pack of imported beer in a store costs $8.00. Why should one beer at a bar cost $5.00? As Europeans and Colonials, alcohol is our sacred libation.. Price-gouging is a disgrace.

If anything the SNP should promote drinking! :D

TheGreatest
Tuesday, March 3rd, 2009, 06:59 PM
It infuriates me that in a bar, beer in the States costs $5.00 - $6.00. In my mother's day it cost $1.50. This is just a tip of the hat to a Puritanical ethic. A 6 pack of imported beer in a store costs $8.00. Why should one beer at a bar cost $5.00? As Europeans and Colonials, alcohol is our sacred libation.. Price-gouging is a disgrace.

If anything the SNP should promote drinking! :D

Beer can cost more than that in some parts of the U.S. and Canada. It's dependent on how much the beer stores can think they can get away with, if the beer stores must be government ran or if the government is taxing the industry.
Here an import of 6 bottles is about $15 and a pint @ the bar is $6.
It amuses me to think that I was paying 20 cent in the Czech Republic for the same beer. That's 20 cents; not krona.
Even in Germany, I was able to find a few bars which was selling $2 Euro pints and Steins (liter) for 3 and sometimes 4 Euro.

I'm starting to think that it might be cheaper to brew my own beer. But I wouldn't know if it is legal or illegal (I imagine legal to brew but illegal to sell without a license) or how much it costs.

Teuton
Tuesday, March 3rd, 2009, 08:05 PM
I know beer here used to be around R4 or R5 (around half a Euro), though that was a good 5 or so years back.

Today I find beer being sold at R8 at times, which is double the price!
Outrageous.

On a note, things are a lot cheaper in South Africa than in Europe and America, whoop whoop.:D

But it also means South Africans have to become virtually broke to leave this hell-hole and go back to where you came from before van Riebeek came, unless you're going to Australia and New Zealand.

TheGreatest
Tuesday, March 3rd, 2009, 08:30 PM
I know beer here used to be around R4 or R5 (around half a Euro), though that was a good 5 or so years back.

Today I find beer being sold at R8 at times, which is double the price!
Outrageous.

On a note, things are a lot cheaper in South Africa than in Europe and America, whoop whoop.:D

But it also means South Africans have to become virtually broke to leave this hell-hole and go back to where you came from before van Riebeek came, unless you're going to Australia and New Zealand.

I've been thinking of visiting Latin America. Even though Germany is a paradise, it's almost as unaffordable as the hellhole I am living in. I've been hearing good things about Panama and Costa Rica, Argentina and Uruguay, all four being relatively safe and cheap. My sibling came back from Panama and she never reported being scared, most of the Indian locals are extremely tiny and know they would lose a fight if going up against your average 6''0 American.

SwordOfTheVistula
Wednesday, April 22nd, 2009, 09:48 AM
It's an incredibly asinine idea. It will just increase the cost of living for normal people, but won't work to prevent 'diseases and deaths'. These come from a small number of hardcore addicts and substance abusers, and if the price alcohol is actually raised to point where it is cost-prohibitive to get drunk on a frequent basis then these people will either switch to harder drugs, make their own, or buy on the black market; which will lead to even more problems.

Don't forget the bartenders *expect* a 'tip' of an extra $1+/drink for doing essentially the same job as a worker at Dunkin Donuts or McDonalds (probably easier in fact).