PDA

View Full Version : Your Children and Music

Deary
Saturday, February 21st, 2009, 09:41 PM
So much of modern music is unacceptable and perverse even if kids might not understand it though there are some genres like country and folk that tend to be decent. How do you go about deciding what music your children listens to and how do you keep them from gravitating towards the wrong stuff?

Kreis AnnA
Saturday, February 21st, 2009, 10:06 PM
I love Rock. Always have, always will. It's how I met my husband and how I was conceived. Country and Folk is great for country folk, but there's no real way to call them mine. So I got my sons drums and guitars, played them AC/DC and you know them today as the Jonas Brothers. lol. Seriously, it's not the dangers because they are there, regardless of genre. Once you have to explain meanings- the meanings of lyrics, because they will ask if they are bright- you'd better explain you're own values. Things will be okay if you are.

Kriemhild
Saturday, February 21st, 2009, 10:29 PM
I'm not a mother, though if I had kids I'd definitely try to keep them away from rap and r&b. I find the music of those two genres meaningless, mundane, and generally despicable, if we're talking lyrical content. Most "pop" music isn't all that great either.

Metal and rock are on the other side of the spectrum. Some metal can be extremely violent and deviant, but it's all tongue-in-cheek. With rap, I don't know sometimes. But being an avid metal fan, I would never try to keep my child away from metal or rock music in general. Gory stuff aside, there's a lot of extreme metal that is intelligent, inspiring, and simply beautiful. It's up to the listener to sift through the obscene content to find the good in the genre. As such, I would encourage my child to listen to metal that falls under the latter category.

ladybright
Sunday, February 22nd, 2009, 01:13 AM
My children listen to what I listen to. sometimes I put on kids songs for them. They like Buddy Holly, Loreena McKennitt, Queen, Cruxshadows, Moody Blues and most folk music. I do not listen to Tom Lerher when my daughter is up. She is old enough to ask about Poisoning Pigeons in the Park. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhuMLpdnOjY) There is no rap, hip hop or R&B type music played in my house. I do not think we own any reggae.

I do not listen to the radio because it seem like there are things that I do not want that always sneak in. I use Pandora internet (http://www.pandora.com/) radio sometimes. It lets you customize a station.

Psychonaut
Sunday, February 22nd, 2009, 01:31 AM
My wife and I are quite picky about what kinds of music are kids are allowed to listen to. There's a long standing rule that Rap and R&B don't enter our house, period. We're also cautious about a lot of the Rock and Pop stuff that is directed at young girls. So much of it extols the virtues of being a tramp, which is not quite the message we want being drilled into the head of an 11 year old girl. So, pretty much any artist our daughter expresses an interest in gets filtered through either me or my wife. I wish my kids would listen to the music I do (Baroque and Neofolk), but I don't see that happening any time soon. :D

English Rose
Monday, February 23rd, 2009, 02:25 PM
I think it's ridiculous when parents censor the music their children can listen to, expect in the case of very violent abusive lyrics for young children as I'm aware some may find them very traumatic.
Listening to one type of music, even if it doesn't always promote the best values, will not make you a bad person - in a similar way that listening to pure and loving religious music wont make you into a good person.
To be honest if parents are so worried that their child will lose their moral way just because they listen to a particular sort of music, then they can't have done a very good job of instilling morals in their children in the first place, because if you know right from wrong all the music in the world can't sway you.

Deary
Monday, February 23rd, 2009, 03:20 PM
Music definitely influences children, their moods, the way they think, act, and dress. For instance, I notice a lot of young people who like rap end up dressing in a gangster style and talking in the way that Negroes do. A lot of young people who like metal often end up dressing in black, maybe even being a bit more depressed. Young girls who are allowed to listen to Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera often want to dress and sing just like them. Children like to idolize the people they listen to. I know because I did the exact same thing when I was younger. Sorry, but I don't want this for my children. Monitoring the music children listen to is just one of the way parents help shape the person they turn into.

QuietWind
Wednesday, February 25th, 2009, 01:02 AM
I don't listen to any music that I wouldn't want my children to hear or repeat, so anything that I listen to is fine for them. My ex husband would try and bring very inapprpriate music into the home. There was one group in particular that I put down my foot about and refused to allow it in the home. It was a constant battle to keep it out, as he had no respect for me or for my desire to not have that sort of thing around my children. He also found movies that were sexually and violently explicit to be appropraite and we had more than one fight about that as well. I am a very conservative woman, and I raise my children along those lines.

L÷wenherz
Friday, February 27th, 2009, 07:05 AM
I have found that moving early to play good music for the children and expose them to a wide range of genres has been the best inoculation against crap. If they develop an ear for quality early, and get outside the idea that any one genre of music is 'cool' and all the others are not, then they can navigate pretty well on their own.

Patrioten
Friday, February 27th, 2009, 09:53 AM
I would agree that certain music types can have a destructive influence on young teenagers but I think the music is only part of the equation. In cases where the music leads to a destructive lifestyle, there is often other factors at play also, a single parent household for example. I'm not entirely sure how it works, but to me it seems that teenagers living in broken homes are the most prone to adopting not only a certain music type, but also the destructive lifestyle associated with it. From my own experience, this seems to be the case.

If it's to do with these teenagers wanting to rebel because they are under immense emotional distress, with them not having a real identity to fall back on and wanting to feel a sense of belonging or a mix of these and/or some other factors I couldn't say for sure, it might also differ from person to person to a certain extent. But it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, that seeing your family fall apart is a traumatic experience that has destructive consequences for the children involved.

With that said I do believe in keeping certain music away from children (rap music as well as some of the degenerate modern rock music), even in the most functional of families there needs to be boundaries. What I am also saying though is that the music isn't the real problem, the real problem is to do with families that are falling apart and leaving the kids to fend for themselves.

Willow
Friday, February 27th, 2009, 10:16 AM
I find the global ubiquitousness and influence of black American rap/hip hop/r&b 'culture' (if it can be called that) very frightening. Boys going around dressed like the 'gansta' rapper types. I mean, if these characters are role models for kids today, then i really do dread what the future will be like, unless they grow out of it. And as for girls' role models, well, the less said about them the better!All there is to say is that they're usually half-naked, black or mixed race and they all sound and look pretty much the same...
I think that this, combined with a decrease in moral standards in general, as well as the general view nowadays that 'anything goes', is going to make for a very scary future...Or am i just a pessimist..?

starprincess
Tuesday, June 22nd, 2010, 02:12 AM
My husband and I both have different types of music that we like to listen to.

However, if we have our children in the car we do not listen to anything that would be bad or negative for them to listen to. LOL his son is very observant for his age and picks up on a lot of things easily. Plus, I thought he would like to have a CD of "his own" for whenever we are in the car. So, I burned him a CD full of music and songs that he knows that are fun and easy for him to sing along to. Whenever we get into the car he asks "can we listen to my CD?" so we put it in and my husband and I both sing along with him! I taught him the chicken dance, so whenever the song comes on, i'll do it in the car with him! :)