PDA

View Full Version : Blow to ANC As Overseas South Africans Given Right to Vote

Dagna
Tuesday, February 10th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Blow to ANC as overseas South Africans given right to vote

A date for the general election, when the ANC will face an unprecedented challenge from the Congress of the People, a breakaway party from within its own ranks, had been expected to be announced this week.

Observers believe that the vast majority of South Africans who have left the country in recent years are not natural ANC supporters, many of them feeling driven out by soaring crime levels and lack of economic opportunities.

The case was brought by the right-wing and Afrikaner-oriented Freedom Front Plus on behalf of Willem Richter, a 27-year-old teacher from Pretoria who now works in Surrey.

At present only a few South Africans can vote while abroad, usually at polling stations set up in embassies, among them government employees, those on holiday and business trips, and people taking part in international sporting events.

The rules throw up several anomalies those on secondments to companies or playing rugby in domestic leagues are excluded and the Freedom Front Plus argued that they contravened the country's post- apartheid constitution, which specifies that there is only one class of South African citizenship.

The high court in Pretoria agreed, saying that the electoral act "limited" expatriate South Africans' right to vote. It referred its decision to the constitutional court for approval.

As well as potentially adding large numbers of non-ANC voters to the roll official statistics for the number of South Africans living abroad do not exit the ruling could hamper the ANC's election timetable. Both it and Cope have already launched their manifestoes for the poll.

No-one expects the ANC to lose national power in the vote, but its two thirds majority in parliament, which allows it to change the constitution, could be under threat.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/southafrica/4571284/Blow-to-ANC-as-overseas-South-Africans-given-right-to-vote.html

Stormraaf
Wednesday, February 11th, 2009, 07:16 AM
What I found funny was how the one-size-fits-all, lets-celebrate-diversity Democratic Alliance (which currently enjoys most of white South Africans' support) only started kicking up a storm as well after the above-mentioned FF+, an Afrikaner party, raised the issue.

The Horned God
Wednesday, February 11th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Given that 90% of the SA's population is black I can't see how this change in legislation makes any significant difference to the level of political representation being afforded to white South Africans.

If someone would care to enlighten me on this I would appreciate it.

Stormraaf
Thursday, February 12th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Given that 90% of the SA's population is black I can't see how this change in legislation makes any significant difference to the level of political representation being afforded to white South Africans.

If someone would care to enlighten me on this I would appreciate it.

It should help towards removing the current ruling party from their super-majority position. White South Africans aren't alone in this, because the black parties are competing as well - especially now since said dominant party (the ANC) has split in two. True, we're too much of a minority for adequate representation, but we can at least help remedy the more imminent political danger - that of the constitution being changed by the ANC under Zuma. And that's not mentioning how inept and corrupt the ANC are.

prodeutsch
Wednesday, March 11th, 2009, 09:25 PM
It should help towards removing the current ruling party from their super-majority position. White South Africans aren't alone in this, because the black parties are competing as well - especially now since said dominant party (the ANC) has split in two. True, we're too much of a minority for adequate representation, but we can at least help remedy the more imminent political danger - that of the constitution being changed by the ANC under Zuma. And that's not mentioning how inept and corrupt the ANC are.

Can't white South Africans just ask for their own homeland? ;)

Teuton
Wednesday, March 11th, 2009, 09:35 PM

Orania is the closest we're ever getting to that.:P

Stormraaf
Wednesday, March 11th, 2009, 10:56 PM

Judging by how the movement for Afrikaner self-determination has faded away, I don't see that happening. The biggest problem is that we are too dispersed - there is no region in South Africa where Afrikaners (or Afrikaners and Anglos combined) are a majority. Asking for our own homeland would be to ask for the creation of an artificial state, like Israel.

Have a look:

http://www.vryheidsfront.co.za/english/policy.asp

RoyBatty
Friday, March 13th, 2009, 09:18 PM
What I found funny was how the one-size-fits-all, lets-celebrate-diversity Democratic Alliance (which currently enjoys most of white South Africans' support) only started kicking up a storm as well after the above-mentioned FF+, an Afrikaner party, raised the issue.

What less would one expect from a Zionist controlled party like the DA? After all, thanks to efforts of our dear compatriots (the ones who frequently describe themselves as god's chosen people) and the treachery of our own National Party leadership, the ANC got the country on a plate so that Wall Street and the City of London can plunder SA at will through their ANC proxies.

That's why I mentioned the "Afrikaner vs Boer" differences in the intro thread.

I'm a Capetonian myself (in other words, not from the so-called "Boer" Republics) and not particularly religious either but it's getting to the point where I don't want to describe myself as an Afrikaner anymore, especially when it comes to the ones watching "7e Laan", getting all teary-eyed at the mention of Mandela's name or supporting the %^$&*%^&* Democratic Alliance.

Believe me, there are plenty of guys who've been trying to get this done for years. All the pleas fall on deaf ears as the ANC Govt don't want to know about it.

It's strange, even during "evil Apartheid" a lot of the black tribes were given little Bantustans (independent homelands) where they could make (but more usually, break, LOL!!) as they pleased. For some reason they don't want to return the favour.

It seems stupid because we wouldn't need much. It wouldn't need to be a huge part of the country, it probably wouldn't even need massive amounts of infrastructure. One can always "make do" with what there is and develop the rest over time through work and ingenuity.

We'd be better off poor but with our own land as opposed to being oppressed and attacked under the current regime.

Orania is the closest we're ever getting to that.:P

Yeah... and you know what Orania is... it's basically a sect / cult and a closed society with bizarre rules telling one how you are allowed to live your life. No thanks. It's a recipe for inbreeding and regression.

Rooikat
Saturday, March 14th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Speaking for myself, allmost all of my friends and some of my family left South Africa for better oppertunities abroad. I have e-mailed them to let them know that they can vote but must register as voters. The registration part is still very unclear but I will follow it up for them. The HNP in South Africa is telling white people not to vote because by voting you are agreeing to a constitution that has a negative effect on Afrikaners and Boers alike. By not voting you are giving the ruling party carte blanche to change the constitution, it is known fact that the constitution was written to serve and protect only one race in South Africa. By giving the ruling party a two thirdes majority will lead to the opening of Pandoras box on the boer people. Our history is filled by dwarstrekkers and draadsitters, basically meaning traitors have cost us dearly, old uncle FW is leading a happy care free life in the UK while we are left to try and survive a total "criminal" wave, which is leaving thousands of Afrikaners dead or raped and in financial ruin. Thus giving the people who has had enough the ability to cast a vote, gives them a chance to strike back. If it will be fare and if their ballots will arrive in South Africa no one can be sure of. This is Africa after all, the government is not known for respecting the law or keeping to the rules. The more corrupt you are in Africa the greater the rewards. Zimbabwe is probably the best example of how an Africa country are ruled by idiots and for idiots. All we can do is to mark our ballot papers and hope there is no foul play.

RoyBatty
Saturday, March 14th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Unfortunately a couple of votes will not be able to compete with "the will of the people" aka the black masses. Furthermore, we lack a credible united political opposition looking out for OUR interests.

The DA (Democratic Alliance Party) is drawing most of the "white" support and they're a Zionist / Soros front, in other words, they're no use to us and they're a very significant part of the reason we're in this mess in SA in the first place!

I don't mean to sound negative but I've lost faith in the "democratic" system as a means to ensure survival and having ones interests looked after. The Law of the Jungle seems to be the only one worth knowing about.

Nachtengel
Saturday, March 14th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Does anyone have any estimate numbers how large is the Afrikaner expatriate population? :confused

Rooikat
Saturday, March 14th, 2009, 03:09 PM
The Freedom front is our best bet, If you read Beeld you can see that the FF has gone a long way, they fought for South Africans abroad to be able to vote, but you are absolutely correct, the DA has brainwashed most white Afrikaners into thinking that they are the solution. The only solution is for Boer people to stand up and say no more, we will not allow our nation to be murdered into extinction, our land seized and our women raped by barbarians. We have embarked on a strategy of not speaking any English to the masses, the ruling party is trying to eliminate Afrikaans from the planet. Unfortunately for them they still need our money, I boycott black owned companies and if a person can not help me in Afrikaans they lose my hard earned money. We have survived on this dark continent since 1662 and no one will force us out.

Todesengel, I am shooting from the hip. Almost all of my friends and some of my family are abroad, I therefore can make an estimate that at twenty percent of white South Africans is abroad. The people staying behind are the die hards who will not be intimidated by barbarians. There is an old Afrikaans saying.. Moenie `n boer se moer te ver koer nie.

Stormraaf
Saturday, March 14th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Todesengel, I am shooting from the hip. Almost all of my friends and some of my family are abroad, I therefore can make an estimate that at twenty percent of white South Africans is abroad.

The number I have for Afrikaners alone is 400 000, which puts it at about 15%. That figure may be somewhat outdated, so it could very well be 20%. That is, however, less than 1% of the total SA population.

Nachtengel
Saturday, March 14th, 2009, 03:38 PM
I found it on Wikipedia:

The South African diaspora consists of South African emigrants and their descendents living outside of South Africa. The largest concentrations of South African emigrants are to be found in the United Kingdom, followed by the United States, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and Ireland.[1] At the time of the 2001 UK Census, some 141,405 South-African born people were present in the UK.[2] In Australia, there were 78,444 South African-born people recorded by the 2001 Census.[2] The 2000 United States Census identified 68,290 South African-born people.[2]

According to a survey conducted in 2006, the most common reason for South Africans leaving their home country is for employment and financial opportunities, followed by concerns about crime and safety.[1]

References

^ a (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_African_diaspora#cite_ref-Scatterlings_0-0) b (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_African_diaspora#cite_ref-Scatterlings_0-1) "Will the 'Scatterlings of South Africa' return? (http://www.sagoodnews.co.za/general/will_the_scatterlings_of_south_africa_re turn_.html)". South Africa: The Good News. 2006-07-03. http://www.sagoodnews.co.za/general/will_the_scatterlings_of_south_africa_re turn_.html. Retrieved on 2008-09-09.
^ a (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_African_diaspora#cite_ref-OECD_1-0) b (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_African_diaspora#cite_ref-OECD_1-1) c (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_African_diaspora#cite_ref-OECD_1-2) "OECD emigration database" (http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/18/23/34792376.xls). OECD. http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/18/23/34792376.xls. Retrieved on 2008-09-09.

RoyBatty
Saturday, March 14th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Does anyone have any estimate numbers how large is the Afrikaner expatriate population? :confused

The other guys already gave some estimates, I don't know myself but can tell you that in certain parts of London I hear Afrikaans more regularly on the streets than in Kapstadt where I grew up!

This situation may change now due to recent changes in the UK's visa regime, immigration law and so forth. Since Poland's admission into the EU it became a lot more difficult for SA's, Australians, NZ's and so forth to work in the informal / casual labour sector.

In SA's case just getting a visa to visit the UK has now become an undertaking and a half.