PDA

View Full Version : The Dire Winter Runes

Dagna
Sunday, February 8th, 2009, 12:24 AM
The Dire Winter Runes

Winter is the season of Hagal, Naud and Isa. Sleet, freezing rain and hail present their own hazards. Need is also a problem. Winter is when the proverbial wolves are at the door. Ice is the double edged sword, making normal pathways treacherously slippery while creating passage over impassable lakes and ponds. These are the three Runes which dominate the coldest months of the year. One might say they feed off each other.

Wintry blasts, need and freezing temperatures traditionally make Winter a time for caution. Travel is difficult, if not impossible, due to storms and ice. The hardships imposed by the Winter can give us some insight into the Runes which magickally personify the season. We can observe the workings of Hagal, Naud and Isa all around us. Barren trees, hard-frozen earth and blowing snow are but three of many wintry phenomena that reflect on those three Runes.

Pay attention to the world around you, for that is where you will get the best lessons in the Runes. When the days are shortest and the nights are coldest, you can see Hagal, Naud and Isa at work. Observe and learn.

http://thortrains.net/blog/2008/12/09/the-dire-winter-runes/

Hrimskegg
Saturday, February 14th, 2009, 10:51 AM
I embrace the Winter! While others are in their hearths, turning up their thermostats, I am out in the refreshing cold weather enjoying the gifts of Thorri, Ullr and Skadi. The best way to travel is by snowshoe!

Jotun
Sunday, February 15th, 2009, 12:44 AM
I completely agree with you, Hrimskegg! I'd happily live with eleven months of winter as long as I could go on vacation to somewhere cold for a month.

Jotun