PDA

View Full Version : Getting Used to Dresses

Deary
Saturday, February 7th, 2009, 06:39 AM
If you'll take some time just to look at old photographs in antique shops or on the web, you'll see women who spent their lives wearing dresses. No one ridiculed them. Everyone wore dresses or skirts, and they were able to do a wide variety of work, even farming, in them. The few who dared to dress like men were considered unfeminine. Today we have strayed so far from feminine dressing that women who have grown up in pants and sports shoes feel awkward in dresses. In this confused modern society, women feel uncomfortable wearing dresses in public and even at home. Who would have thought that a woman in a dress would be such an unusual sight that people would stop and stare? How far we haven't come!!

One of our problems is that we have been convinced that our first priority is to be comfortable. We hear that said over and over in the name of slovenly, immodest and unnattractive dressing. One thing we can learn from our Victorian forbearers is the attitude of putting others first and avoiding embarrassing or shocking behaviour. Our forebears were more concerned about appearing rude than almost anything. They were concerned about how people would remember them.

These days we are supposed to be so politically correct that when older people like myself see something totally shocking and inappropriate, we are forced, in the name of politeness, to act like we didn't notice. Girls can come to church in their pyjamas--or less--and no one has the nerve to say anything for fear of being accused of something untoward. If our great-grandparents saw what we are seeing today, they would certainly speak up about it, and it wouldn't always be pleasant. We need to think of how our way of dressing is affecting others, and work to dress in a non-offensive, yet pleasing, manner.

Modernists mock the old Victorian stays and corsets, while wearing spandex and jeans that are just as form-fitting and even tighter than the undergarments of the past. One reason women feel uncomfortable in dresses is that they are used to wearing these tight clothes and feel rather unprotected and cold when they wear a dress. Their tight jeans make their figures feel pulled together, well-shaped, and firm. If you have difficulty feeling trim and neat in a dress, invest in foundations that will make you feel well-dressed and comfortable.

http://www.ladiesagainstfeminism.com/articles/dresses1.jpg

You won't enjoy dresses if they are uninteresting, uninspiring and dull to you, so don't wear fabrics and styles that make you feel depressed. It wasn't too many years (or decades) ago that a new dress helped lift women from a bad day, sadness, or depression. New clothes, if they are the right color, pattern, print, or style for you, can make you feel energetic, optimistic, and creative. And you don't have to spend a fortune!

One helpful thing you can do to find out what is best for you is to take a trip to a fabric store. Get a shopping cart and put some bolts of fabric in it. Choose prints and colors from the collection on the walls that interest you. If you like roses or pinks, put the bolts that remind you of them in the cart. If you just love yellows and reds, find some prints with both in them and put the bolts in the cart. Then wheel your shopping cart to the full-length mirror in the fabric store. (By the way, someone needs to ask Wal-Mart to put up some full-length mirrors in their fabric department.)

Now push the cart aside and stand in front of the mirror with one bolt of fabric. Let a length of fabric unroll to your ankles and see what it looks like. Check to see if it makes your complexion bright or dull. Does the color or print delight you? Does it make you smile? Can you imagine it draped into a dress? What does it remind you of: a summer's day, a cozy winter evening in front of the fireplace, or a walk on the beach? How do you think it would look made into a dress?

If you don't care to sew, this little excursion will give you some ideas of what is best for you in the dress department. After what you have seen, you might know exactly what to avoid and what to look for in the department stores.

Another thing you can do that is not expensive is to go to the Goodwill or St. Vincent de Paul's or any used clothing store and put a lot of dresses in the shopping cart. Go to the changing room and try them on. If you don't want to do this, go ahead and buy them. They don't cost very much (sometimes as little as $2 each), even if you get half a dozen of them. If, after getting them home, washing them in a sweet scented laundry soap, drying them, and pressing them to perfection, some of them still don't look right on you, you have lost very little money by donating them back to the stores.

http://www.ladiesagainstfeminism.com/articles/dresses2.jpg

You might also be able to re-sell them to a friend, especially after touching them up and adding a missing button or pressing them. It is great fun to buy a dozen dresses in one of these places. You can experiment with styles by wearing them for a while and keeping the ones that just seem to be perfect for you. You haven't been too extravagant, so if some of them don't work out, you needn't feel guilty. You can donate them back to Goodwill or give them away.

Actually, you can often get nicer dresses in the used stores than in the department stores, because they tend to be more feminine. They have been discarded by people who want to go more with the modern designs, which are less feminine. The used dresses tend to have a little lace on the collars and be longer in length.

People who sew have the advantage over the fashion world. They aren't at the mercy of elitist designers who think they know what is best for all women. Those who sew are free to take a sleeve from one pattern, apply it to a bodice from another pattern and a skirt from another. They can choose their own colors and trims. How many times have you seen a dress and said, "That would be nice if only the trim were a different color?" or "It would suit me, but I prefer the A-line shape?"

http://www.ladiesagainstfeminism.com/articles/dresses3.jpg

Dresses are an ideal garment, in my opinion, because they require so little preparation to wear. All you have to do is take one off the hanger in your closet and put it on. Skirts and tops are more complicated. You can end up with a dozen tops and skirts and then you have the problem of matching them up. You may also end up with a very messy closet. I like a dress because the top is already coordinated with the skirt. Designers have cleverly devised a way to get girls to show their midriff by making the tops shorter and the skirts low-waisted. A dress can never separate like that when you lean over. I believe dresses are a lot more modest. There will be occasions for skirts, so do include some in your wardrobe planning.

It isn't necessary for all women to like the western "Cattle Kate" styles that are included here. These pictures show you how a dress should drape and how well it should fit. I've included these pictures, because they look like they would be suitable for all the things you have to do if you are a homemaker, yet you could still go out to the grocery store, post office, visiting, or church in them.

If you are trying to get used to wearing dresses, try something conservative, in a darker color, to begin with. When you've begun to feel more confident in dresses, you can start adding some to your collection that have a little more color and detail to them. Start your little girls in dresses, and they will never feel uncomfortable in them. For running and playing, you can dress them in bloomers or pantaloons underneath the dresses.

Wearing dresses instead of skirts can be more slimming to your waistline. Consider what all goes into wearing a skirt and blouse. You have several layers of elastic, from your undergarments to your waistbands to your blouse. Each little bit adds more thickness at the waist. That is one reason a dress is so beautiful. It elongates your figure and is more comfortable to sit in, especially after a meal!

It is very important to wear a petticoat or slip under your dress and to don appropriate shoes and accessories. One of the worst sights you can see is a woman in a pretty dress with heavy sports shoes sporting thick soles and dirty shoe laces. There are many nice dress shoes or charming little boots with non-skid soles that you can wear with dresses. Try dressing up for one day, and then the next, and, eventually, you will feel more comfortable in these clothes than in your old jeans and tee-shirts. Notice that you stand, sit, and move differently in a dress. There is something about a dress, especially if it is flowing and long, (and if you wear feminine shoes and accessories), that will make you feel more graceful. By "feminine," I simply mean delicate and special.

It isn't just important to be "comfortable" in your clothes, but to be presentable. Other people have to look at you, so, please, have mercy on them! Don't depress them or jolt their senses by looking like you just emerged from a mud-slide. Don't wear dull, depressing, worn-out dresses. Wear something pretty that improves your mood, and others will compliment you. Consider the compliments your "report card."

If you have grown up in jeans and pants, it may take a while to discover the type of feminine outfit that is right for you. That is why I strongly suggest you begin with a dress. If you aren't used to co-ordinating skirts and blouses, a one-piece dress makes things much easier.

There is a website I'd like you to look at that helps women to dress better. Click this link (http://bcwe.org/bcweblogs/world-evangelism/) to go there. Please read this thoroughly and look at all the drawings and illustrations. Do you look like any of the illustrations? Would you say that you are sending the right message to your loved ones and the public by this kind of appearance? We are a disgrace when we travel to other countries, and we are the objects of ridicule among visitors to our nation. If you despair of the way things look today and the way women dress and act, you can actually change things quite a bit by altering your own mode of dress. We aren't advocating going back to the Victorian era, but we are saying we can learn a lot from how these women lived. They wore their dresses with pride, they loved beautiful fabrics, and they were interested in pleasing others.

How much longer are we going to allow talentless fashion designers and mindless movie stars to give us our standard of dress? There are now many alternatives to the dresses you see in stores. You don't have to wear those dull, uninteresting jeans and tee-shirts anymore. I've heard many young women sigh wistfully that they were born in the wrong era, and that they wished they could wear lovely dresses in public the way people used to in the 18th and 19th centuries. Life is too short to wait for good fashions to come into style. You can make them come in to style by wearing them. Do you want to go through life just wishing things were different? To quote an old book, "Life is a banquet, but most people are starving to death." There are people today who have had the gumption to change the way they dress, and they say they feel like they have come alive. So why do you wait? No matter what age you are, you can start dressing femininely. The longer you put it off, the longer it will take to get used to wearing feminine things. There are a lot of things that ail the modern woman that could be solved just by changing the way she dresses. After you've worn beautiful, feminine clothes for a while, you will no longer feel self-conscious in them, and you won't be bothered by the stares of others. (This might seem utterly superficial to some, but so much of our mental and spiritual life is affected by how we conduct ourselves on the outside -- and this includes how we dress our bodies

http://www.ladiesagainstfeminism.com/articles/NALAN564.JPG

Source (http://www.ladiesagainstfeminism.com/artman/publish/Reader_Favorites_26/Getting_Used_to_Dresses_649100649.shtml)

I have been wearing skirts and dresses (always below the knee) daily since about seven years now. I tried pants once a winter or two ago and just never felt my best in them. Ever since I decided to trade in my blue jeans and t-shirts for more feminine attire, people have treated me with much more courtesy. Men are more chivalrous, people deliberately avoid using bad manners in my presence, and I always receive compliments for dressing up. It's such a small thing, but it really does wonders for your self-esteem. I would recommend all ladies to try wearing skirts and dresses for a change as it will really benefit how you see yourself and how others see you :)

Siebenbürgerin
Saturday, February 7th, 2009, 01:48 PM
I like dresses and skirts. They make me feel feminine. But it's a real nuisance to go shopping for them. Because the nowadays modernism almost sets a rule for women to wear pants and jeans. And the dresses and skirts available are very provocative. I'm not understanding the shortness of some skirts. You can't even sit down in them without revealing too much. :| my solution is to go to a tailor and order the kind of dresses I like. I buy the material in my preferred colours.

Dresses and especially skirts were always part of the Germanic folk costume. I can't think of a folk costume which included pants for the women.

Kriemhild
Saturday, February 7th, 2009, 02:06 PM
I like dresses and skirts. They make me feel feminine. But it's a real nuisance to go shopping for them. Because the nowadays modernism almost sets a rule for women to wear pants and jeans. And the dresses and skirts available are very provocative. I'm not understanding the shortness of some skirts. You can't even sit down in them without revealing too much. :| my solution is to go to a tailor and order the kind of dresses I like. I buy the material in my preferred colours.
I have the same problem. In America, most of the clothing stores tailored to young women offer only very short dresses and skirts, which I'm not interested in. Miniskirts are the big trend. Occasionally I'll find something modest and nice, but that's rare. So for that reason, what I wear on a daily basis is jeans, but I do like wearing dresses when I find one that is appropriate and tasteful. :)

Ĉmeric
Saturday, February 7th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Neither of my grandmothers ever wore pants. Never.

I've noticed several women around here - I think from Amish or Mennonite backgrounds, but not practicing or from Conservative Protestant Churches - conservatively dressed, always in skirts or dresses below the knees, sometimes nearly to the ankles. The longer jean skirts are also popular with some women around here:

http://www.tinasclothesblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/l01sz2502_258.jpg

http://www.justdenimskirts.com/images/products/28a.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_MBP07yxyJ2Q/RbG4cnH4SwI/AAAAAAAAADE/iI1Fd14eK-M/s320/Maria%27s%2Brandom%2BPic%27s%2B288.jpg

Deary
Saturday, February 7th, 2009, 05:47 PM

I've resorted to online shopping. It's much less hassle than walking through every store only to discover that while they carry 25 different styles of pants they only carry 2 styles of skirts. Online sites often has their skirts section set into categories such as 'mini', 'mid-length', and 'long' and into colors which makes things so much easier to find. Dresses are another story though. Even online all I can find are dresses with no sleeves or backs or that have low necklines. Why is it that in order to dress up a little one has to be so revealing?

Neither of my grandmothers ever wore pants. Never.

I've noticed several women around here - I think forom Amish or Mennonite backgrounds, but not practicing or from Conservative Protestant Churches - conservatively dressed, always in skirts or dresses below the knees, sometimes nearly to the ankles. The longer jean skirts are also popular with some women around here:

We have a few Mennonites around here always wearing very old-fashioned looking dresses like the ones in the pictures. The other majority of skirt and dress-wearing ladies are from the local Christian College (which has rules about such things) or are from Conservative Protestant Churches (Baptists and Pentecostals). It's so now that when any woman wears a skirt or a dress it's assumed they're one of them, which is not a bad thing, but it's very unfortunate that feminine attire just isn't more popular with others as well. For instance, I can't understand why other Christian churches don't advocate that women should wear skirts and dresses. As far as I remember, the Bible is pretty clear in that women should not dress as men and vice versa.

My grandmothers started to wear pants during the 60s and never gave them up. I always thought how beautiful they were when they were wearing skirts and dresses :(

QuietWind
Wednesday, February 11th, 2009, 05:25 AM
I like wearing dresses and skirts also.

I still like those floor length full skirts that you can twirl around in. :ccolor I like the way they swish around when you walk, and you have to pick them up climbing stairs.

Blood_Axis
Wednesday, February 11th, 2009, 09:28 AM
I love dresses! (I find skirts uncomortable, however :P)

I mostly prefer knee-high dresses that are loose and confortable:

http://luxepetite.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/gap-empire.jpghttp://luxepetite.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/gap-pleated.jpg
http://www.womansday.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/media/galleries-slideshows/10-day-to-night-dresses/mossimo-black-ruffle-sleeve-sweater-dress/287515-1-eng-US/Mossimo-Black-ruffle-sleeve-sweater-dress_slideshow_image.jpghttp://luxepetite.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/1126-dillards-wpd239_zi.jpg

I don't wear longer ones because I am too clumsy :shrug
I also don't wear shorter ones because I don't like to show off that much of my legs (except in the summer/beach).

Dresses are the most feminine/comfortable choice. They can look very modern and stylish too, if you wear them with flat buckle boots and dark-colored tights... I would not have a problem if they stopped making pants for women. ;)

Maelstrom
Wednesday, February 11th, 2009, 09:36 AM
While in Germany I observed that no young German women wore dresses or skirts. I found this particularly unusual.

I have a soft spot for summery skirts. This one girl I know can pull such a look effortlessly. Oh how she could be my Summer girl.... :P

Ashera
Wednesday, February 11th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Dresses are the most feminine/comfortable choice. They can look very modern and stylish too, if you wear them with flat buckle boots and dark-colored tights...

Yes, this is a style I like too. But I need at least weged soles to walk comfortably :)

Ashera

Sigurd
Wednesday, February 11th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Actually, when considering the ancients, it would not have been the norm for men to wear pants either. Tunics were worn as "working clothes" in most European cultures by men and women alike (albeit in different cuts), noble Roman men wore a toga, and men wearing "skirts" is also something deeply traditional: I hold at the opinion that there is nothing more masculine than a kilt (the leg freedom without the need for annoyingly restricting underwear is the best thing since sliced bread, not to forget the warmest thing in winter and the coolest in summer! Hmmm ... Have I lived in Scotland for too long? :D). Could the need for trousers be due to the need for more agility in warfare? ;)

Having said that, I can't be the only man who likes a girl in a nice summer dress. It tends to have something very feminine, and actually something quite luring: In any proper dress or skirt (not too long, not too short), a woman's legs are hinted at whilst still leaving enough to the imagination. A "proper enough" dress has something both feminine and lady-like. A population of women in nice knee-length dresses and skirts with stylish boots - welcome to paradise. :P :victory

Hauke Haien
Wednesday, February 11th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Germanics began wearing trousers during Period VI of the Nordic Bronze Age. Although it is true that the earlier kilt-like tunics and loin-cloths continued to be worn for some time, the trousers were what set Germanics apart and should therefore be considered our ethnic dress.

As far as women's skirts are concerned, a look at the Egtved Girl (http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=111472) is instructive, but her clothes may have been ritual rather than everyday wear. In our current culture of strongly separated sexuality and reproduction, longer skirts send much more attractive signals and they are also attested in the archaeological record of the same time period.

Oswiu
Saturday, February 14th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Women in the old pictures look so beautiful. It's sad that I don't get to see this very often now. What a world we live in - supposedly consumer driven and maximising our 'choice', and yet anything of beauty is suppressed. :(

Just imagine spending your days with a girl dressed in the style of the very first picture in Deary's thread starter. It'd be a dream. One taken from us.

By the way Hauke, what do we say for the origin of the trousers? Gaulish or Scythian inspired? Independent innovation?

Arundel
Sunday, February 15th, 2009, 05:32 AM
I totally agree with you. I have gone through stages. When I worked for a law firm I used to go dressed to the hilt, I had a closet full of lovely dress up feminine clothes that made me feel good to wear. I even dressed up some when I went out shopping, then my husband started saying don't wear good clothes, people just don't do that anymore. Actually he is right. Anymore I wear nothing but jeans and colorful tee shirts around home. But I am longing for the old me, when I felt like a lady, and not a tom boy. I'm getting sick and tired of the jeans thing and have been looking at some nice soft lady like clothes in the catalog. I have pictures of my mother when someone would suddenly take her unaware and take a picture of her, and she really looked nice, nice dress, shoes with heels, & even silk hose, just to cook dinner in. Have you ever just looked at some of the women when you are out shopping? It is shocking how awful they dress. I can't understand why a big large boned over 200 lb woman wants to wear tight jeans. I don't even know where they find them that big. A lot of women are genetically programmed to have big behinds, and they are shocking in a pair of tight jeans. And these awful clod hopping shoes that they wear. I have never lowered myself to that. Even if I wear good jeans to town I put on a very pretty, expensive tee shirt, attractive shoes, and earrings & a pendant. What I like are these soft sided hand bags in lovely fabric. They really make your outfit look nice. I sometimes wear vests with embroidery on them. So even though I am wearing my 'boy' clothes, I still look like a lady. I am just like you, I am sick and tired of all these ugly looking clothes.

Odhinns_daughter
Sunday, February 15th, 2009, 06:49 AM
What a great thread! Thank you!

I am also a lover of skirts and dresses! The weather is just now starting to warm up and I wore my first skirt of the year on Wednesday and I was so happy about it that I planned it a week in advance, when the weather report suggested weather in the 40's and 50's.

The Amish and Mennonite communities were mentioned in previous threads. I have to admit that I've loved the aesthetic of these fundamentalist sects since I was a child. There is such a purity and innocence that is just so beautiful. Too bad their doctrines are so abhorrent.

It is my opinion that women who wear skirts and dresses in this day and age give themselves a little advantage as long as it's not done in a trashy manner.

Sissi
Monday, February 16th, 2009, 12:50 AM
I love skirts and dresses. Viennese fashion was always elegant.

I like the high waistline.

http://www.monstersandcritics.de/downloads/downloads/articles/14017/article_images/image3_1183507761.jpg

And this costume, I'm not sure what it's called.

http://www.salzi.at/images/articles/2008_07/4501/u1_Sissi4.jpg

Unfortunately, these models I like most aren't wearable in the 21st century. :~(

Nachtengel
Monday, February 16th, 2009, 03:51 AM
Sissi, high waisted dresses are still fashionable, in the modern version.

http://www.catwalkqueen.tv/_5465952.jpg

Deary
Friday, February 20th, 2009, 10:48 PM
I mostly prefer knee-high dresses that are loose and confortable:

http://luxepetite.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/gap-empire.jpghttp://luxepetite.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/gap-pleated.jpg
http://www.womansday.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/media/galleries-slideshows/10-day-to-night-dresses/mossimo-black-ruffle-sleeve-sweater-dress/287515-1-eng-US/Mossimo-Black-ruffle-sleeve-sweater-dress_slideshow_image.jpghttp://luxepetite.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/1126-dillards-wpd239_zi.jpg

I don't wear longer ones because I am too clumsy :shrug
I also don't wear shorter ones because I don't like to show off that much of my legs (except in the summer/beach).

In my opinion, this might be too short (except the black one). If the wind blows in something like these, it is all the more easy to reveal what not everyone should be seeing. Also, sitting makes the skirt/dress lose about two inches of length. If you are not mindful about the manner in which you sit, place your legs and the way the clothing is positioned, it will draw attention, and believe me, men notice! I would even go so far as to say they have an eye for catching these sort of mishaps. I think in skirts/dresses like these you can't squat well either without perhaps being revealing. Sometimes you have to in order to see or reach an item on a bottom shelf, for instance. So, I think there's a greater chance of one being clumsy and having accidents in these than in something a little longer.

Siebenbürgerin
Saturday, February 21st, 2009, 05:05 AM
These kind of 'skirts' are the plague of society in the cities nowadays.

http://www.anecdotoff.com/images/stories/gallery/20071112/too-short-skirt.jpg

http://lh3.ggpht.com/closetconcept/Ry8T0YBqdFI/AAAAAAAABGE/zxZOCQUzMoQ/s400/WCS2,+Areopoatale+Jeans+Mini+Skirt2.jpg

I know the men like them, but they're absolutely revolting in my view.

Thusnelda
Saturday, February 21st, 2009, 01:03 PM
I just found out that I don´t have any wearable dresses besides my two traditional Bavarian costumes! Seems to be I´m guilty of wearing trousers and jeans most of the time... *g*

I´ve to change that in the next few months - springtime and summer are coming! :)

I like these two:

http://www.preisvergleich.org/pimages/Rock-kurz_96__417104_20.jpghttp://www.contentimages.de/content/GlobalPictureGallery/75/1092592975_1201184441205.jpg

Dagna
Sunday, February 22nd, 2009, 06:28 AM
Our Germanic ancestors wore typically long skirts and dresses.

http://forums.skadi.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=96313&d=1191961132

http://forums.skadi.net/photoplog/images/25182/large/1_aus3_Wicki_131.jpg

http://forums.skadi.net/photoplog/images/25182/large/1_aus2_Wicki_099.jpg

http://forums.skadi.net/photoplog/images/25182/large/1_1_Brodeskap_Frihed_Pk.jpg

http://forums.skadi.net/photoplog/images/25182/large/1_Skade_by_Saltza.jpg

Vandal Lord
Sunday, February 22nd, 2009, 08:22 AM
I appreciate when a woman takes the time put on a modest skirt or dress and goes to the trouble of trying to look nice for us men. I am not saying women only always do this for us men but when they do this for us guys, we should not take it for granted or expect them to do it all the time. We should appreciate their beauty when they go to the effort of looking good for us.:D ;) I appreciate the nice pictures of mostly pretty Germanic women.

Eoppoyz
Sunday, February 22nd, 2009, 03:08 PM
It would be really nice if women use more dresses and/or skirts. :P

Sigurd
Sunday, February 22nd, 2009, 03:40 PM
Our Germanic ancestors wore typically long skirts and dresses.

That remains to be questioned. Depictions/drawings/paintings tend to be a fingerprint of current societal or personal values, and as such, even when the mode of dress on the picture is ancient, it may in truth have been either more revealing or less revealing than we see from those pictures.

In this regards, also pay attention to this (http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=109530) article, which proposes the theory that Viking women may have dressed less "conservatively" than previously believed. :)

Hauke Haien
Saturday, May 2nd, 2009, 03:42 PM
By the way Hauke, what do we say for the origin of the trousers? Gaulish or Scythian inspired? Independent innovation?

Having separate leg coverings would be considered unnecessarily complex in most contexts while improving only a small selection of motion sequences and being practically a necessity in effective horsemanship. An inspiration by such cultures therefore is more likely than an independent innovation and I also favour the idea that Celts acted as a proxy.

Interestingly though, the sidesaddle posture for women, who continued to wear dresses, is already attested in Celtic artifacts, so this kind of gender norms cannot be considered exclusively Christian. More generally, I find that many social changes are imagined to have happened at the time of Christianisation that really took place at much earlier dates or perhaps never, while more significant shifts in underlying functional logic are not grasped and our view at them remains distorted by our very own cultural context, the world view our society continuously seeks to imprint on us and our reaction to it.

Freigeistige
Saturday, May 2nd, 2009, 06:26 PM
I am rather fond of wearing dresses and skirts, and I wear them almost exclusively. The reason for this is a better range of motion and they are simply more modest than pants. They do not show the curvature of the behind and legs, and they allow one to move freely, especially if shorts are worn underneath.

Another benefit about skirts is that they work with all weather. When it's warm, I wear flowing mid calf length summer skirts or dresses with sandals, and when it's chilly, I wear knee length skirts with knee length stockings or socks. Also, they are historically feminine, as trousers were originally worn by men.

triedandtru
Saturday, May 2nd, 2009, 06:41 PM
I appreciate when a woman takes the time put on a modest skirt or dress and goes to the trouble of trying to look nice for us men. I am not saying women only always do this for us men but when they do this for us guys, we should not take it for granted or expect them to do it all the time. We should appreciate their beauty when they go to the effort of looking good for us.:D ;) I appreciate the nice pictures of mostly pretty Germanic women.

It is really nice to see that at least one man appreciates the troubles many women go through to look attractive and pleasing. Sometimes it can seem that either men do not care, think looking nice does not require a lot of work, or just don't notice except when we don't look nice.

heloise
Sunday, May 3rd, 2009, 07:46 AM
Hello,

I just wanted to say that the title of this thread resonated with me. It very aptly describes my personal feeling on the matter. I too, am trying to "get used to dresses". I find pants or shorts to be more comfortable for me, however, I am an anti-feminist and have decided that I would like to endeavor to dress in a more feminine manner.

triedandtru
Monday, May 4th, 2009, 01:50 AM
Hello,

I just wanted to say that the title of this thread resonated with me. It very aptly describes my personal feeling on the matter. I too, am trying to "get used to dresses". I find pants or shorts to be more comfortable for me, however, I am an anti-feminist and have decided that I would like to endeavor to dress in a more feminine manner.

Feminists are really getting rabid these days. : /

I often wear pants during the winter because of how cold it gets where I live, but skirts and wonderful and cool in the summer.

heloise
Monday, May 4th, 2009, 09:21 AM
triedandtru,

Hello, nice to meet you. Yes, I agree the feminists have most certainly become more rabid of late it would seem.They have also affected mainstream society in such a way, so that it now predominatly conforms to their ideals unfortunately.

ladybright
Monday, May 4th, 2009, 11:05 PM
The political and social aspects of womens clothing are pretty interesting. I find it odd that some people who prefer dresses/skirts for women disapprove of hippy skirts.

I prefer skirts and tops to dresses for practicality. I really do not like shorts. I like jeans for heavy physical labor but that is because I grew up wearing jeans.

PS Sorry to delete but things were going off topic.

triedandtru
Tuesday, May 5th, 2009, 04:13 AM
The political and social aspects of womens clothing are pretty interesting. I find it odd that some people who prefer dresses/skirts for women disapprove of hippy skirts.

I prefer skirts and tops to dresses for practicality. I really do not like shorts. I like jeans for heavy physical labor but that is because I grew up wearing jeans.

PS Sorry to delete but things were going off topic.

I tend to love skirts that could be called "hippy skirts," but they usually have tasteful patterns and don't look like a quilt rag. Mine are usually a nice solid color and flowing, but well-made and classy.
Jeans are quite suitable for any sort of laborious physical work.

Freigeistige
Tuesday, May 5th, 2009, 05:01 AM
I tend to love skirts that could be called "hippy skirts," but they usually have tasteful patterns and don't look like a quilt rag. Mine are usually a nice solid color and flowing, but well-made and classy.
Jeans are quite suitable for any sort of laborious physical work.

I actually have a patchwork "peasant skirt". I'm pretty fond of it aesthetically, but it's not as sturdy as my solid pattern skirts.

triedandtru
Tuesday, May 5th, 2009, 05:59 AM
I actually have a patchwork "peasant skirt". I'm pretty fond of it aesthetically, but it's not as sturdy as my solid pattern skirts.

The sort of skirts I am talking about are poorly put together and poorly maintained. Patchwork can be done well. Peasant skirts are different from some of the scant rags I see "hippies" around here attempt to sport.

Vandal Lord
Tuesday, May 26th, 2009, 04:39 AM
It is really nice to see that at least one man appreciates the troubles many women go through to look attractive and pleasing. Sometimes it can seem that either men do not care, think looking nice does not require a lot of work, or just don't notice except when we don't look nice.

:)You're welcome triedandtru, I also think though that a Germanic woman can also look beautiful even without makeup or a nice dress. As a man, for me there are many different levels and ways I can enjoy a woman's beauty both her psychical beauty as well as her inner beauty.

AngloTeutonic
Tuesday, May 26th, 2009, 06:33 AM
If you'll take some time just to look at old photographs in antique shops or on the web, you'll see women who spent their lives wearing dresses. No one ridiculed them. Everyone wore dresses or skirts, and they were able to do a wide variety of work, even farming, in them. The few who dared to dress like men were considered unfeminine. Today we have strayed so far from feminine dressing that women who have grown up in pants and sports shoes feel awkward in dresses. In this confused modern society, women feel uncomfortable wearing dresses in public and even at home. Who would have thought that a woman in a dress would be such an unusual sight that people would stop and stare? How far we haven't come!!

One of our problems is that we have been convinced that our first priority is to be comfortable. We hear that said over and over in the name of slovenly, immodest and unnattractive dressing. One thing we can learn from our Victorian forbearers is the attitude of putting others first and avoiding embarrassing or shocking behaviour. Our forebears were more concerned about appearing rude than almost anything. They were concerned about how people would remember them.

These days we are supposed to be so politically correct that when older people like myself see something totally shocking and inappropriate, we are forced, in the name of politeness, to act like we didn't notice. Girls can come to church in their pyjamas--or less--and no one has the nerve to say anything for fear of being accused of something untoward. If our great-grandparents saw what we are seeing today, they would certainly speak up about it, and it wouldn't always be pleasant. We need to think of how our way of dressing is affecting others, and work to dress in a non-offensive, yet pleasing, manner.

Modernists mock the old Victorian stays and corsets, while wearing spandex and jeans that are just as form-fitting and even tighter than the undergarments of the past. One reason women feel uncomfortable in dresses is that they are used to wearing these tight clothes and feel rather unprotected and cold when they wear a dress. Their tight jeans make their figures feel pulled together, well-shaped, and firm. If you have difficulty feeling trim and neat in a dress, invest in foundations that will make you feel well-dressed and comfortable.

This is so true, women have been wearing modest dresses for centuries, until the 60's came around and the feminist movement became big. It's a shame women stopped wearing dresses in exchange for pants, because pants on women, especially the types nowadays, are immodest, as they show the complete shape of the body to any joe walking around on the street. And that joe could be a sick minded pervert, rapist or pedophile. All he has to do is change the colour of the black spandex pants that the girl's wearing to the colour on her face and he can picture what the chick looks like naked. And jeans, which have become completely normal and acceptable, show the bum off too, even the more loose fitting ones. And dresses have become a strange thing in the last half century.

The stuff said about the older people having to be silent because of the new politically correct culture is also very true. Sometimes you can just sense the disapproval of some older people when they see inappropriate actions from younger people (race mixing, slutty clothes on girls, disrespectful attitude from boys). But most of the time they never say anything because they're supposed to be politically correct and mind their own business and not hurt anybodies feelings according to our new individualist care-free attitude and letting people do whatever the hell they want as long as they don't hurt anybody else. That's why there are these kids from my generation who walk around with attitude, not respecting people, and who swear at their parents or grand-parents. I feel kind of sorry for old people these days and always try to be polite to them. But it's kind of their fault because they should have put their foot down when all this nonsense started.

I have been wearing skirts and dresses (always below the knee) daily since about seven years now. I tried pants once a winter or two ago and just never felt my best in them. Ever since I decided to trade in my blue jeans and t-shirts for more feminine attire, people have treated me with much more courtesy. Men are more chivalrous, people deliberately avoid using bad manners in my presence, and I always receive compliments for dressing up. It's such a small thing, but it really does wonders for your self-esteem. I would recommend all ladies to try wearing skirts and dresses for a change as it will really benefit how you see yourself and how others see you :)

I just want to congratulate you sister in your choice, I wish there were more sisters out there like you. I remember this one black girl at my highschool who always wore dresses. One day I asked her why she never wore pants and she said because as a Christian, she tried to always stay modest. So I always respected that girl for her noble actions. And I would definitely go out of my way to be courteous to a white sister who dresses up like that.

Idis
Sunday, October 21st, 2018, 11:36 PM
8 Reasons Dresses Are The Best

Dresses are better than pants. I said it, and I mean it. I don't care how "comfy" your jeans are or how "leggings are like literally life." Dresses. Are. Better. They have always been better and will always be better.

1. No pants means ~no problems~

That's right. No pants in public! If that isn't a win for womankind, then I don't know what is. Nothing says "Today is going to be the best day ever" like waking up and not having to put pants on. You could live the rest of your life without ever wearing pants again. Mull that one over, jean-lovers.

2. You're buying an entire outfit for the price of one piece of clothing

Heck yeah we save money. I don't need to buy $50 jeans and a $15 shirt, because I can buy one $20 dress and it serves the same purpose. Sure you can "mix and match" pants and shirts, but we can mix and match shoes and sweaters, so really you have no leg up, both figuratively and literally, because jeans are really restrictive.

3. Every body type can wear them

There's so many different shapes and materials that everybody can flatter themselves. Whether you feel more comfortable in a maxi-dress or a tea length, just above the knee or a short dress, there's a million shapes and lengths.

4. They are perfect for lazy days

Don't want to adult today? Wear a dress. Need to run to the grocery store but don't want to get ready? Wear a dress. You only have to put on one piece of clothing and you still look put together.

5. You can layer for optimal comfort

Is it cold right now but going to be warm later? Good. You can wear a sweater and some leg warmers under your boots that you can take off if you get too hot.

6. Long jackets

A long jacket over a dress with heels. Do I need to say any more? That is the ultimate cool weather outfit. It looks so classy and you're still so warm. Thank you, Jacket Gods, for sending up this beautiful style.

7. You can dress them up or down

Going to work or class? Simple make-up and jewelry with flats will work. Going out afterwards and don't want to change? Switch out your flats for heels, add a red lip and statement jewelry, and you should be all set.

8. Public restrooms are far easier to tackle

It's a lot easier to hover over a public toilet seat when you just have to hold your dress up instead of trying to balance with pants on. Not the prettiest sight, but a serious concern that should be taken into account if you're a person who is ever in public, ever.https://www.theodysseyonline.com/an-open-letter-to-the-judgemental-people-in-my-hometown