PDA

View Full Version : "Germanic Lands: Europe & Outlying Islands": a Question for European Members

Dagna
Thursday, February 5th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Why don't European members (the English excluded) post frequently in these forums? Do you believe it is rude to express yourself in your mother language among such a big English speaking audience, or do you use mostly English because you prefer the point of view of other Germanics who are not of your nation? As an English speaker I am just curious why the participation in these foreign language forums is so low.

ÆinvargR
Thursday, February 5th, 2009, 02:18 PM
I suppose it's because the speakers of any specific non-English language are few. It's not read by many and it doesn't give as much feedback.

Dagna
Thursday, February 5th, 2009, 05:02 PM
I suppose it's because the speakers of any specific non-English language are few.
I believe there are many Germans on this forum, but many of them never made at least a post in the German forum. Scandinavians are few, that's correct.

ÆinvargR
Thursday, February 5th, 2009, 09:15 PM
I believe there are many Germans on this forum, but many of them never made at least a post in the German forum.
I shall let them answer for themselves. I tried to find the recent poll of members' locations, to see how many Germans we have, but failed.

Hauke Haien
Thursday, February 5th, 2009, 09:50 PM
What is Your Background? (http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=111207)

I think the main problem is that using non-English languages excludes a large potential audience and those who might be able to participate generally speak English as well. It is a language death dynamic.

see also: Linguistic imperialism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistic_imperialism)

Siebenbürgerin
Thursday, February 5th, 2009, 10:48 PM
If I put a theme in German, then I'm limiting it to the audience of Germans, because the German speakers whose native language isn't German are few. So I put themes in the German forum when I wanted a German view only. But most times I want an all Germanic view, because it's more diverse.

I've to say, all language forums upfront the same thing. The activity there is lower than in main forums. Because the Germans who want a strictly German point of view go to big German language boards like Thiazi, the Swedes to Nordisk and so on. And there the English sections aren't active either, for the same reasons. We've to use English as general language of the board because it's the most strategic position. Because most Germanics will speak a little bit English, but if we limit it to German it will be mainly Germans like on Thiazi, or if we limit it to Swedish it will be mainly Swedes like on Nordisk. But if the Germans had won World War Two now we'd all be speaking German as a lingua franca, international language communication. ;)

Thusnelda
Friday, February 6th, 2009, 12:23 PM
I write regularly in our German-languaged subforum because I´m interested both in Germanic and German views. Sadly the activity there isn´t the best one. :| I´d love to see that the few users who´re able to read and write German - but dodge around the German subforum because they want to hear English-languaged Germanic views only - show some activity there nonetheless.

Reich des Waldes
Friday, February 6th, 2009, 06:29 PM
I am in agreement with what the others have posted. While ~110 million people may speak German as their native language, it seems that we have 10-15 active posters here that do. You are simply limiting the response you will receive to post in a language which ~10% of the active posters are fluent in.

I occasionally read through the German forum if I see a topic that catches my eye. While I do not profess to have a mastery of German, yet, I can usually read the threads and get a rather good idea of what is being discussed. However I am a little afraid to make a post in German. I hate making mistakes and appearing to be the uneducated fool (though I can do that easily enough in English). That and I figured Herr Haien would completely destroy my grammar and vocabulary in his critique. :P But I suppose that is how one learns.

Dagna
Friday, February 6th, 2009, 06:50 PM
I am in agreement with what the others have posted. While ~110 million people may speak German as their native language, it seems that we have 10-15 active posters here that do. You are simply limiting the response you will receive to post in a language which ~10% of the active posters are fluent in.

I occasionally read through the German forum if I see a topic that catches my eye. While I do not profess to have a mastery of German, yet, I can usually read the threads and get a rather good idea of what is being discussed. However I am a little afraid to make a post in German. I hate making mistakes and appearing to be the uneducated fool (though I can do that easily enough in English). That and I figured Herr Haien would completely destroy my grammar and vocabulary in his critique. :P But I suppose that is how one learns.
What if all the non-native English speakers would be as shy when writing in English? Then I believe we would have no German, Dutch or Scandinavian participation to the forum. I have been learning German and I have posted a couple of times in the German forum. I have been corrected but also complimented. Do not be afraid, you learn through mistakes.

Eoppoyz
Tuesday, February 17th, 2009, 10:27 PM
There's too few Swedes, Norwegians and Danes here so I can't write so much Swedish here. A lots of threads is on English so that's maybe the answer.

Siebenbürgerin
Wednesday, February 18th, 2009, 12:39 AM
There's too few Swedes, Norwegians and Danes here so I can't write so much Swedish here. A lots of threads is on English so that's maybe the answer.
Hmm, I'm not understanding Swedish but by the looks of it, the activity in the Swedish forums skyrocketed in the recent times. It wasn't very active before.
Maybe you could invite some friends from Nordisk and then you'll have more Swedes to discuss with? :)

Eoppoyz
Wednesday, February 18th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Hmm, I'm not understanding Swedish but by the looks of it, the activity in the Swedish forums skyrocketed in the recent times. It wasn't very active before.
Maybe you could invite some friends from Nordisk and then you'll have more Swedes to discuss with? :)

I've already got one friend to become a member in Skadi, but I can try to invite more friends. :)