PDA

View Full Version : First Gay PM for Iceland Cabinet

Siebenbürgerin
Monday, February 2nd, 2009, 07:44 PM
Iceland has announced a new government that will be headed by the modern world's first openly gay leader.

Johanna Sigurdardottir was named new prime minister by the country's coalition political parties.

Iceland's previous coalition cabinet of PM Geir Haarde collapsed last month under the strain of an escalating economic crisis.

Ms Sigurdardottir's government said on Sunday it would immediately start to tackle Iceland's crisis.

"The government inherits enormous difficulties due to the banking and systemic collapse as well as considerable and rapidly increasing foreign debts and liabilities of the national economy," the new coalition said in a statement.

It said its priorities would be replacing the board of governors of the central bank and to ask a parliamentary committee to look at the possibility of entering the European Union.
The entire article is here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7863923.stm

Oski
Monday, February 2nd, 2009, 07:47 PM
The western world is circling the drain :thumbdown

Siebenbürgerin
Monday, February 2nd, 2009, 07:50 PM
Yes, I'm wondering... because many users seem to view Iceland as less affected by modernism than the other countries. I've not been there so I don't know. Normally I could ignore the sexual orientation of a good politician, but it seems it's important and relevant enough to be made an issue in the news:

The 66-year-old's appointment as interim leader - until elections in May - is seen by many as a milestone for the gay and lesbian movement, correspondents say.

She married her companion, Jonina Ledsdottir, in 2002.
So gay marriage is legal in Iceland too. :thumbdown

Hauke Haien
Monday, February 2nd, 2009, 08:14 PM
A gay leader does not significantly differ from a heterosexual leader without children (Merkel), especially in a liberal democracy where both have very little autonomous power anyway. The most interesting news in this article was that the BBC is unable to handle Icelandic names. "Ms Sigurdardottir", what a laugh.

Thusnelda
Monday, February 2nd, 2009, 08:42 PM
The recent protests to bash the former government because of the economical crisis were contraproductive from our ethnical and cultural point of view. Because now liberals and leftists reign over Iceland - Socialdemocrats and Greens! :thumbdown The former prime minister was, at least, from the "conservative" party.

The new governmental parties support an EU membership, too. :| Only the - now discharged - "conservative" party is against an EU membership of Iceland.

It seems that the protests quickened the downfall at the end! :( That´s so sad because the people and the county itself are just so lovely, friendly, and wonderful. But if their political system becomes so disgustingly multicultural and pro-EU then I´m going to throw over my plans to immigrate to Iceland later in my life.

bruno
Monday, February 2nd, 2009, 08:54 PM
The power of politicians is just apparently, because the puppeteers are behind the scene and they do not want that the public reflect on the real problems. It is for this that gay marriages have been invented and all those with similar goals with many other distractions that, over decades, have led our society into an anthropological mutation perhaps irretrievable.

Reynard
Monday, February 2nd, 2009, 10:21 PM
"Before the new dawn there must first be darkness."

Good friend of mine said this recently. Think this may apply to this?

beowulf wodenson
Tuesday, February 3rd, 2009, 05:46 PM
Yeah, but the U.S. has the first "openly black" president...;).:thumbdown
It seems like in my reading of the Icelandic sagas that the old Icelanders had nothing but contempt for homosexuality, called male homos "ergi" which meant something like "unmanly". Supposedly being labeled as such would probably result in a fight to the death. Seems like homos were not accepted then.
Iceland has fallen far from the "heroic Saga" days of its founding.

Huginn ok Muninn
Wednesday, February 4th, 2009, 10:49 AM
This whole crisis was created by the banking cartels to force Iceland into the EU and flood it with immigrants. Nationalist feelings which come from a homogeneous society are incompatible with their desires to subjugate all humanity for their new world order. :thumbdown

forkbeard
Wednesday, February 4th, 2009, 01:31 PM
I wouldn't have thought a 66 year old woman would feel particularly sexual, especially in Iceland.

triedandtru
Wednesday, February 4th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Openly black and openly gay... If race and sexuality aren't an issue, why do both Obama and this new Icelandic representative feel the need to make them one by being 'open'?

Leof
Wednesday, February 4th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Pim Fortuyn was openly gay making him pre-date this Icelandic guy. This whole economic crisis feels staged.

Renwein
Wednesday, February 4th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Loads of wierd posts in this thread.

The western world is circling the drain :thumbdown

Why? well yes I agree, but not because of a gay PM.

Openly black and openly gay... If race and sexuality aren't an issue, why do both Obama and this new Icelandic representative feel the need to make them one by being 'open'?

'Ms Sigurdardottir - who has never hidden her sexuality - is, nevertheless, very private about her personal life, never discussing it in public.'

apparently she doesn't feel the need to be pushy about it, and why not be 'open', after all she is what she is, and as long as she isn't pushing it what's the deal? it's the media that's creating the headline, and...

Yes, I'm wondering... because many users seem to view Iceland as less affected by modernism than the other countries. I've not been there so I don't know. Normally I could ignore the sexual orientation of a good politician, but it seems it's important and relevant enough to be made an issue in the news

...it's relevant to be made an issue because the media made it one, and it made it one because there is a culture of promoting minority interests above all other interests in 'the west' over the last 55 years. So that's the real problem here.

also I think those users have an overly romantic view of iceland ;)

This whole crisis was created by the banking cartels to force Iceland into the EU and flood it with immigrants. Nationalist feelings which come from a homogeneous society are incompatible with their desires to subjugate all humanity for their new world order.

yes, the whole crisis is artificial and the entire world has beein 'crashed' to force Iceland into the EU and flood it with immigrants... it all makes sense.. j00s dunnit coz they want to obliterate the last isle of nordicness, no doubt

I also think Nationalist feelings are present in all societies, not just homogenous ones.

Pim Fortuyn was openly gay making him pre-date this Icelandic guy. This whole economic crisis feels staged.

er, ok. But this Icelandic isn't a 'guy' and Pim Fortuyn was never PM. I'm not sure if you're implying that the crisis is staged to *shock horror* bring a gay leader to iceland (which will mean the death of iceland! fallen from the sagas! the darkness before the dawn! the apocalypse!)

actually what's more important IMO is that Pim Fortuyn was a nationalist (sort of) whereas this woman is apparently a part of "liberals and leftists reign over Iceland - Socialdemocrats and Greens!" - which is the only important thing here and the more siginificantly negative thing since these groups tend to have strong anti-national policies.

my comments are i) it's funny how many women in politics are gay, this goes for all 'political' women incl. feminists, intellectuals, etc. I guess this isn't too suprising though

ii) having a 'gay' in charge doesn't mean the end for a people, lots of homosexuals have been involved in national movements, pim foryun was mentioned, also consider ernst rohm, I know one of Mosley's women's officers was a suffragette, founder of a women's police force, and lesbian (she probably wasn't the only lesbian in that role either...), any of those would be a lot better for the future health of a european nation then 99% of todays 'hetero' politicans...

instead of a dumb, cliche 'omgz not the gayz!!11 ' attitude the posters in this thread seem to have taken maybe they should strech their brain muscle a little and consider a difference between 'liberal minority identity' gays such as Peter Tachell who are aggressively anti-european, and other gays like the above who are pro-national, rather than promoting their sexuality above the interests of the group. This woman probably falls in the former category somewhat though, (although by the above account she isn't a 'pushy' gay like mr tachell) but then it's that ideology that should be attached, not the sexuality of an individual which is of no great matter by itself.

Leof
Wednesday, February 4th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Didn't say it would be the end. My comments were not in conjunction. I think you read to far into things.

Sigurd
Wednesday, February 4th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Well - it was kind of evident. Without a revolutionary force coming from our sides ... our ranks are still battling out their own egoes as we speak ... it was obviously to be expected that the completely other side was going to use the crisis for their benefit.

Let's remember that when Hitler came into power: Before they had an absolute majority, another election had to be made because they were the strongest party with the Communists being the second strongest and obviously neither wishing to work with the other.

In absence of a "radical right wing" force to respond to radical times, it will evidently be a "radical left wing" force which will take the reins. Times of strife do seem to have that tendency.

The same will happen to all our other countries if we, as the Patriotic/Nationalist forces are not a force to be reckoned with if our countries start to really collapse: It will only be worse than before and would be the heralding of a new Marxist era. If anything, then it speaks as much of the failure of "right-wing" forces in Iceland (are there any?) as anything. :|

So rather than it being a way to dispose of outspoken right-wing politicians by subtly assassinating them and then claiming that they were homosexual - the thing Pim Fortuyn, Jürgen Möllemann and Jörg Haider had in common was that they manipulated their own cars into having an accident to hide their "latent or obvious homosexuality"? Curious, isn't it how it all seems to match ... ;)

Leof
Friday, February 6th, 2009, 05:41 AM
LoL not really sure what to make of that comment.

I agree though. True right wing political movements often come out force not from elections. Reactionary by definition is in response to something. It's not a proactive but reactive force that brings things back in balance.

Nachtengel
Friday, February 6th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Haider wasn't gay, he was at most bisexual. Anyway, a politician's sexuality isn't important as long as s/he doesn't turn it into a big issue. The only people turning this lady's sexuality into a big issue are the scandalous press and people on Skadi who cry OMG OMG gay alert!!! :oanieyes

Sigurd
Friday, February 6th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Haider wasn't gay, he was at most bisexual.

Did I say any different? I just didn't know how to translate Ein Schelm, wer Böses denkt. I was rather doubting the nebulous information that Pim Fortuyn was actually gay, since allegations of latent or open homosexuality always seem to come with right-wing politicians that leave our world in very mysterious ways. ;)

Anyway, a politician's sexuality isn't important as long as s/he doesn't turn it into a big issue.

Well - then nobody would hear about it, would they? I think that the leftists quite on purpose put her up as the vanguard of their movement there. Saying that she as a gay politician leading the leftist party is a coincidence and is impertinent "if there's no big issue made of it" - would be almost like claiming that if Obama didn't play the race card, then his race wouldn't be important. Now there goes an interesting concept. :P

In general, I agree that people's sexuality, unless it offends public morality and common decency, is a matter of their own four walls and people should not be so nosy about it. On the other hand, however, even if a gay person doesn't make an issue of it, their followers will continuously and to claim that a gay person leading a country would not affect discussion of homosexuality at all wouldn't exactly be the full truth. ;)

The only people turning this lady's sexuality into a big issue are the scandalous press and people on Skadi who cry OMG OMG gay alert!!! :oanieyes[/quote]