PDA

View Full Version : The German Roots of the Slovenian Capital Laibach/Ljubljana

Sigurd
Sunday, February 1st, 2009, 04:12 PM
Let's see - what do people think when they hear of the city of Laibach/Ljubljana? They think of the most Slovenian of all cities, their capital, and that its long history under the Hapsburg Empire was solely a landmark of imperialism, an oppression of the "true" inhabitants of the city and entire area of Krain/Kranj?

But - is it really as Slovenian in its fundaments as is currently claimed? You just need to dig deep enough to find that this city is for all intents and purposes a German city, and that its Slovenian/Mediterranean character is really a matter of gradual de-Germanisation as urbanisation prompted the surrounding farmers to move into the city.

The city itself was founded in the 13th century in terms of the Ostsiedlung by settlers from the Great Duchy of Bavaria, and until well into the laste 19th century and even 20th century those of German descendance were very influential and the ruling classes of Laibach.

This is exemplified quite well that the last unquestionably German bishop was Anton Alois Wolf (1824-1859). Until the independence from the Hapsburg Empire, 18 out of 28 bishops were of German background, and 15 of the first 20 bishops of the city. In 1597, Germans of the Jesuit Order founded a Grammar school in Laibach (supposedly later to become the university)

At the same time, many great German/Austrian personalities came from Laibach, amongst them are:

- Alexander Graf von Auersperg, poet and politician
- Eduard Baar-Baarenfels, leader of the Austrian Heimwehr and politician
- Bruno Brehm, Sudeten-German descended author
- Anastasius Grün, politician and German-language political lyricist
- August von Hallerstein, German missionary
- Ludwig Mitteis, German legal historian
- Odo Neustädter-Stürmer, politician and leading ideologue of the Heimwehr
- Waldemar Titzenthaler, German photographer
- Fritz Pregl, famous chemist and Nobel Laureate for Chemistry in 1923.
- Constantin von Wurzbach, famous librarian, author and compiler of dictionaries
- Karl Freiherr von Wurzbach, politician and statesman.
- Andrej Hauptman – Slovenian cyclist in the late 20th century whose surname justifies the assumption of German heritage.

Several architectural landmarks also prove of the original German character of the city, in its character however – due to Hapsburg Rule – more similar to that of other Southern Austrian cities rather than the architecture of the original settlers from “Old Bavaria”.

Drachenbrücke
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/56/Ljubljana_Drachenbrücke_03.jpg

University
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/de/2/25/Ljubljana-Uni.JPG

Town Hall
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b6/Ljubljana_city_hall.jpg

St. Nicholas Cathedral
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9d/StNicholas-Ljubljana.JPG

Not so Slavic after all in its roots, now is it? Many would today say that Marburg a. d. Drau was the border of German settlement - but in truth, even Slovenia's capital was originally a German enclave, though it would be incorrect to speak of it as such in our day and age, the German population is well under 1% and not of historical roots in the city.

aufbiksmb
Wednesday, July 7th, 2010, 07:02 PM
But ethnicaly Laibach was never more then 15% German but 80% of population was speaking German...

Northern Paladin
Tuesday, March 15th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Any culture that exists on the Slavic lands was undoubtedly created by, and in a lot of cases stolen from the Germanic tribes. I am of the mind that the existence of any Eastern European city, or culture for that matter, with the exceptions of the ones started by Celtic and Latin tribes, would be utterly impossible had Germanics had not been around. The Slavs stole everything from us, watered it down unintentionally, and called it their own.

TheBlackCross
Tuesday, March 15th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Let's see - what do people think when they hear of the city of Laibach/Ljubljana?

I think of the band by the same name :D

I read a book about the band and the NSK state called The Interrogation Machine by Alex Monroe.

In it, he explains about how Slovenians don't want to be associated with Germans or Croatians and that given the circumstances of how slovene culture was historically suppressed, it is close to "a miracle" that a Slovene nation exists.

I don't know how accurate this is since I doubt that the book has much academic value.

Northern Paladin
Wednesday, March 16th, 2011, 01:01 AM
I agree. The Germanic people were always superior to the Slavs. The Germanic race has the most advanced culture in Europe. It's sad that there are so many former German towns now totally under Slavic control. You can take eastern Germany for example. It is completely destroyed by the polacks. Königsberg which was once the pride of Prussia is now filled with Russians, Polacks and other non-Germans and is surrounded by mass graves of our Volksgenossen.

The only thing that reminds us of the Folk to whom those Lands truly belong is the remnant of the German ethnic minority and I'm glad to see more and more people with German heritage who are proud of it. Even if the situation is as bad as it is, we will never give up. I hope that one day, Germany will rise again and reclaim the lost lands in the east. Wir wollen heim ins Reich!

What are the demographics of Königsberg? The city belongs to the ruskies, but I think there are mostly Lithuanian (Baltic) people present, so it's probably not so bad. That's what I've been told anyway.

Schattenjäger
Wednesday, March 16th, 2011, 06:33 PM
You know, the real problem aren't the easterners, the real problem are the filthy, greedy, leftist traitors which represent the government of Germany. Without them, we would probably get Königsberg back after the fall of the soviet union.

Of course. Gorbachev offered Königsberg in 1990 but BRD refused...

TheBlackCross
Friday, March 18th, 2011, 10:53 PM
The band Laibach is officially apolitical, they only dress in German uniforms and sing in German because they want to attract attention. They are provocateurs and thats all.

That is an over simplistic way of describing their art, they do much more than that in order to mock Totalitarianism regardless of political leaning. But we'll leave that for another topic :D

So, what exactly are the Slovenians? Slavs from the Alps or Germans?

Mööv
Sunday, March 27th, 2011, 02:16 AM
Well, I agree Laibach was once a German city. Many people here still have German last names. There are German writings in every church. In the beginning of the 20th century, many people spoke the German language. But everything changed when the Communists occupied the town... They expelled/killed the Germans and they also destroyed some German cultural monuments.

Anyway, Laibach is a nice town that you have to see if you ever travel trough this part of Europe.

Hmm... yes, whatever country the communists took over it's German population paid the ultimate price. Same as here in Vovjodina region of Serbia; there was a massive German population, now we can be counted by fingers.
Laibach is a very beautiful city. Definitely a must visit for anyone interested in European culture.