PDA

View Full Version : Do You Eat Junk Food?

Siebenbürgerin
Tuesday, January 13th, 2009, 02:06 AM
Do you eat junk food? ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junk_food) Is it an important part of your diet, or do you avoid it like plague? :P I rarely I eat junk food, when I'm at university and I can't find anything else at the bar because I'm too lazy to go to a shop, or when I'm on the road traveling and I can't find anything else in gas stations.

Sigurd
Tuesday, January 13th, 2009, 02:59 AM
First of all the question would be - define junk food. If your average burger were to be included in that, I would take much offense at that, long before McDonald's started their outlet was that a traditional dish which had its origins in Germany. ;)

If you're referring to cheap, unnutritious Stuff at large - then I must say - guilty as charged. As a student, especially as a male student coming from a reasonably traditional household, I'm not exactly the best cook ever encountered and few complex things will actually work.

I don't really have the patience to cook meals taking several hours, either - in a relationship, the cooking part is one of the things I expect the woman to do anyway, save the barbecue of course, which - unless she chooses to throw her toys out of the pram over it - is clearly male territory. :P

If you're just referring to visiting cheap outlets like McDonald's or the likes then I suppose it totally "depends upon the season". There has been occasions when I visited it reasonably regularly, because it seemed opportunous with what little time and money there was left. But then again, I've also oft gone for several months without it - whereas it is noticable that I tend to go to such places more often when in the UK ... possible a matter of lack-of-choice, really. Back home, I prefer other types of snacks. :)

I went for the option, "Yes, but rarely" as I cannot deny eating junk foods, including dining at fast food chains, but that it is something I only tend to do when I'm either really in the mood for it or don't find anything better and that it is thus not really an active part of my lifestyle. If I have to choose between a more hearty burger and a McD's burger - go figure which one I'd rather have. ;)

Deary
Tuesday, January 13th, 2009, 04:41 AM
Yes, often. Junk food, for me, is very convenient. My fast metabolism and small stomach makes keeping weight on rather difficult. Junk food generally has more calories per serving than healthy food and is also less filling since it's less raw and less nutritionally dense. On healthy food alone, I usually feel full very fast while getting less calories than my body needs. With a bit of junk food in my daily diet, I can be more sure I'm maintaining a good caloric intake without feeling like my stomach will explode. It's also very handy for a quick burst of energy or substitute in case one accidentally skips a meal which I had a tendency to do a lot when I was in school or working long hours. While I know eating lots of junk food is unhealthy, I try to make up for it with as much fiber and fruits and vegetables as I can.

Oski
Tuesday, January 13th, 2009, 05:14 AM
Almost never. I'm on a low carb diet like atkins, paleodiet, south beach etc.

Pork rinds and the meat patties from fast food burgers is as bad as it gets.

Hersir
Tuesday, January 13th, 2009, 05:49 AM
Yes, but rarely.
I sometimes buy a hot dog on my way home after being on the pub with friends.
I avoid kebabs and foodplaces owned by foreigners, I dont want to support them economicly (and I dont trust them).

Blood_Axis
Tuesday, January 13th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Almost never for me. I don't even like it. I use it as last resort when nothing else is available...

For example, if I get hungry, I prefer to fix a quick meal for myself (let's say a salad or a sandwich) than order pizza. But when my boyfriend comes over, he usually asks for the junk food, regardless of whether I have cooked or not. :D He's a junk food freak, by Gods! the things he puts in his stomach :nope

It will be an interesting experiment to see, how the two of us are going to find a golden section, food-wise... :P

Rozenstorm
Tuesday, January 13th, 2009, 03:48 PM
I rarely visit junkfood restaurants out of ethical viewpoints.

Most junkfood is after all foreign, wether it be American like a hamburger joint or Turkish like a kepab joint.

Still, on occasion I visit them when there is no likely alternative...

Jäger
Tuesday, January 13th, 2009, 03:58 PM
First of all the question would be - define junk food.
Click on her link.

Junk food generally has more calories per serving than healthy food and is also less filling since it's less raw and less nutritionally dense.
If one could say that "junk food" is unhealthy no one should eat it, but there is no "healthy" or "unhealthy" food, it all depends on the circumstances and the amount of it.

Patrioten
Tuesday, January 13th, 2009, 04:07 PM
At times, but if I get to choose I rather have home cooked food. As a child fastfood was a special treat eaten very seldom and therefor it was something I looked forward to, nowadays a pizza or a hamburger is alot less appealing, it's too commonplace. I'll eat it if that's what's being served but I could just as well go without it. I like to know that effort has gone into making the food I'm eating, and if I'm being served fastfood or processed foods out of cans because it's comfortable it makes me lose part of my appetite, the joy of eating.

FullForce
Tuesday, January 13th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Yes, but rarely. I try to stay away from it :~(

ladybright
Tuesday, January 13th, 2009, 04:49 PM
I generally avoid fast food and junk food. When we travel I pack some snacks but we often stop at a drive through or sub shop. I have a weakness for white cheddar popcorn and cheese puffs. Not the hard kind with the artificial tasting powder.

When I was a kid a burger or pizza was a treat. Now I amnot so impressed.

I like greek and asian food but it is often to greasy for me so we do not go out frequently.

Thusnelda
Tuesday, January 13th, 2009, 05:22 PM
I eat junk food only on a rarely basis. Nearly my whole family cooks and so I grew up with always something warm in our kitchen. :) And since I´ve learned cooking myself from childhood (I find it important as a woman, and because I want to preserve the old and traditional recipes of my grandmothers :) ) I prefer to cook something - with good ingredients and much devotion - over going to a fast-food restaurant.

Anyway, it happens that I visit a fast food-stand or one of these large fast-food chains when I´m in haste and when I´m hungry. But I prefer a "Leberkassemmel" (meat loaf roll) or a "Bratwustsemmel" from a local salesperson or butcher’s shop over a chesseburger from McDonalds or something like that. And I dodge around foreign salesmen, especially those from the islamic region: I´ve never eaten Döner Kebab, for example! :thumbdown

CrystalRose
Tuesday, January 13th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Guilty. :D I've eaten fast food out of desperation all through out college. Cheap, fast, and on the way to work. That's my biggest fear about going back to school. It seems as if health is placed on the back burner. You're consumed with school and work while trying to squeeze in some social time. At least this time around i'll know better. When traveling if the gas stations don't have things like beef jerky or cheese sticks I feel forced to eat at a fast food joint. That's all there usually is off the interstate. I would hate to kiss my kitchen goodbye. so preparing things the night before is probably the best bet. Talk about a long day. :|

Siebenbürgerin
Tuesday, January 13th, 2009, 11:08 PM
First of all the question would be - define junk food. If your average burger were to be included in that, I would take much offense at that, long before McDonald's started their outlet was that a traditional dish which had its origins in Germany. ;)

If you're referring to cheap, unnutritious Stuff at large - then I must say - guilty as charged.
I put a link there in case anyone had doubts about the definition:

Junk food is an informal term applied to some foods with little or no nutritional value, or to products with nutritional value but which also have ingredients considered unhealthy when regularly eaten, or to those considered unhealthy to consume at all.
I would classify McDonalds food as junk food, but not all hamburgers or all fast food. The German hamburgers have nutritional value. Some American fast food like hot dogs and snacks from small stands have nutritional value too because they're not so full of chemicals like McDonalds food. There are small hamburger stands in my city where the hamburger meat is more natural and healthier than McDonalds food.

Old Winter
Tuesday, January 13th, 2009, 11:09 PM
I am Vegan so does anything I eat count as junkfood ? Does chips count as junkfood ?

Siebenbürgerin
Tuesday, January 13th, 2009, 11:19 PM
I am Vegan so does anything I eat count as junkfood ? Does chips count as junkfood ?
If you refer to those chips that come in bags then yes it's junk food.

http://www.intersnack.de/uploads/media/CCHHP175W_0715.gif

Old Winter
Tuesday, January 13th, 2009, 11:20 PM
If you refer to those chips that come in bags then yes it's junk food.

http://www.intersnack.de/uploads/media/CCHHP175W_0715.gif

Yes then, I like chips.

Telluride
Wednesday, January 14th, 2009, 12:01 AM
I've been known to eat junk food from time to time. What can I say? It tastes good.

Sigurd
Wednesday, January 14th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Good to see that I understood that Fast Food is not automatically junk food, for I must say that I am quite partial to the "Traditional German Bratwurst" stall we have up here in Aberdeen. And back home, obviously I prefer having a Fleischkassemmel (same thing as Leberkäs, for the record, but in Tyrol we call it differently) over any of the ethnic meals or a trip to McD's.

That's not to say that I haven't eaten Döner Kebap (comes with the suburbs, I'm afraid) but let's just say that I'm not particularly partial to it and have one typically once a year for the sake of curiosity from the lad around the corner, whom I consider less suspicious than most other Turks I've come across. But a favourite meal it is not and I usually regret my ill choice of meal once I've eaten it, wishing that I'd gone for a Fleischkassemmel or indeed a Mayonnaisesalatsemmel instead. :P

because they're not so full of chemicals like McDonalds food.

Actually, it would seem that indeed McDonald's isn't lying about not adding chemicals to the end product. They do however use somewhat sub-standard beef, and whatever hormones that cow will have been fed with will by reason end up in the burger too. The other reason for the low quality, besides using low quality beef is that no matter what, it is still machine-processed and that'll evidently never be as good or healthy as a burger made with sweat and blood and love. Besides the point that onions should go in with the mince, but that's a different matter.

Anyway, are you sure you didn't put a subliminal message into your thread somewhere? As soon as I read the thread, I suddenly had this overwhelming urge to go to McDonald's. :wsg

Tijl de Treurige
Saturday, February 7th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Do you eat junk food? (http://forums.skadi.net/redirector.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikip edia.org%2Fwiki%2FJunk_food) Is it an important part of your diet, or do you avoid it like plague? :P I rarely I eat junk food, when I'm at university and I can't find anything else at the bar because I'm too lazy to go to a shop, or when I'm on the road traveling and I can't find anything else in gas stations.

When I was at university there were times I lived on junk food for weeks.
French fries, kebap, pizza, sandwiches with lots of mayo...
I gained a few pounds that time.

Btw, junk food tastes best between midnight and six in the morning as we all know.

Kriemhild
Saturday, February 7th, 2009, 09:45 PM
I like natural, homegrown foods the best, so I rarely have junk food. I try to avoid the processed stuff. As for meat, I'm a vegetarian, but I will eat meat if the animal in question has been killed humanely and raised properly (no growth hormones or chemicals and kept outdoors), rather than the way they do it in American commercial/factory farms. When I was younger and my family kept our own chickens, I ate them without a fuss. I also eat meat at Jól time.

Hrodnand
Saturday, February 7th, 2009, 10:57 PM
I voted other which for me is even more rarely than "almost never". ;)
I usually eat natural homegrown food, mostly from my grandmother's garden.:thumbup
Fortunately for my family healthy and organic meal is a priority in life.

TheGreatest
Saturday, February 7th, 2009, 11:38 PM
No I do not eat traditional junk food, such as chips bought in a vending machine. But I do eat home-baked desserts :D

Grimsteinr
Monday, February 9th, 2009, 03:41 PM
We have Pizza every other week or so.
We keep Fritos corn chips on hand as well as tortilla chips, which we consume with Carlitos Mild, Black bean & corn Salsa. Great with my dark homebrewed beer.I love hard, Dutch pretzels too.
We also eat a lot of South Beach diet,lightly salted nuts. They are almonds, cashews and macadamia nuts. Best kind.
Oh and a little piece or two of good Dark chocolate each day.

All that along with Oatmeal for breakfast and a large bowl of salad for Lunch, each day.
A bit of Junk food is okay, if you do not over do it and you eat very healthy foods otherwise. And....There are good & bad Junk foods, too.
Moderation, everything in moderation.

Runesinger
Friday, May 8th, 2009, 07:37 AM
I developed allergies to the food additives found in most junk food, so I have to make almost everything from scratch. Over time of eating good, honest home-made food, I find junk food quite repulsive.

What breaks my heart is to see parents taking their children to a fast food place regularly instead of preparing a meal at home and sitting down together as a family at the table. It takes a little more time and makes a whole lot more love. What are you doing that's more important than your children?

TheGreatest
Friday, May 8th, 2009, 07:54 AM
I had some very healthy cupcakes with a nice huge slab of pink icing on top! yum! :D

flemish
Saturday, May 9th, 2009, 05:42 AM
I'm drinking a beer right now.:thumbup Over the past two years I've gained thirteen pounds, because of my friends:D bringing junk around me. It's a good thing I don't eat meat. If I did, I'd weigh two hundred pounds like so many other Americans.

TheGreatest
Saturday, May 9th, 2009, 06:21 AM
I think it has to do more with portions than anything. I think we're just plain spoiled in North America. Everywhere I went in Europe, including dining at family tables, the amount of food I received was usually three times or four times less than here. I'm by no means a fat individual, but it does explain a lot as to why Europeans are very slim compared to us.

Peter Kürten
Wednesday, May 27th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Almost never, only when I'm travelling and there is no other choice, and I'm almost starving...

I am aware of what I eat. It's mostly organic food and I'm so glad, that we nearly don't have any genetic alternated food in Germany.

ladyDetenebrate
Monday, June 1st, 2009, 03:17 AM
My only vice is the occasional trip to the quintessential USA Diner late at night or very early in the morning. Otherwise, I exclusively eat local or organic, unprocessed foods that I cook myself. I never eat candy or drink soft drinks or any other processed crap. As far as I'm concerned, that stuff is poison, just like drugs. :thumbdown

Almost never, only when I'm travelling and there is no other choice, and I'm almost starving...

I am aware of what I eat. It's mostly organic food and I'm so glad, that we nearly don't have any genetic alternated food in Germany.

I love that one of the only countries in the world that is standing up to the giant beast of Monsanto is Germany. This company has done so much to destroy the planet and make the world a worse place for traditional agriculture. ...And this is all in the name of short term financial gain.

GMOs are terrifying thing, on both moral grounds (how can one patent life?!) and environment grounds (contamination, disease susceptibility, and other obvious reasons). I hope the USA eventually takes the same stance as Germany on this important issue.

Víđálfr
Wednesday, June 3rd, 2009, 10:17 PM
I used to, it became a bad habit while being a student in another city, as I had to stay at the hostel and I didn't have proper conditions to prepare healthy food by myself. But my stomach, and not only my stomach, managed to make me get rid of that bad habit.

I avoid as much as possible junk food or anything similar. I like to prepare natural/healthy food at home. I also don't eat meat, especially not meat bought from supermarkets, with lots of chemicals and other unhealthy stuff in it. I'm in love with some kind of fish, like salmon (smoked salmon, yummy), and it's a must be, from time to time...

I never bought kebab, shaworma or other s*** like that.

SpearBrave
Saturday, June 6th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Is chocolate considered junk food? If it is than I voted wrong, I have a weakness for good chocolate.

Víđálfr
Saturday, June 6th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Is chocolate considered junk food? If it is than I voted wrong, I have a weakness for good chocolate.
I think yes, it is...
I used to have a weakness for good chocolate too, and still have a bit, if it's something which seems to be good and which I never tried... Good chocolate, yummy... :D

fraulein
Sunday, June 7th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Sometimes I eat from Burger King. It tastes good.

Only 1 times a month.

Stimme
Sunday, June 14th, 2009, 11:46 AM
I avoid junk food as often as possible. Sure, I eat a pizza and an ice every now and then but I haven't visited McDonald's or Burger King for months. Junk food is unhealthy, has tons of calories, hardly fills the stomach and is expensive as hell. We're better off without it.

RabbitAnnie
Sunday, August 9th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Rarely :P I will eat it if it's late at night, returning home from school and everything else is closed including the grocery stores, but it tends to make me ill..

Sól
Wednesday, November 4th, 2009, 08:34 AM
As with Coke, only from time to time. I try to avoid it because it's unhealthy.

Thorodinssohn
Friday, March 19th, 2010, 05:05 PM
I've made the mistake of eating way too much junk over the years, and as a result I'm overweight and out of shape. I'm trying to make the transition to cooking all of my meals from fresh, relatively healthful ingredients and cutting out the fast and junk foods.

That said, my grandparents always have potato chips laying about when I visit them, which are my weakness. I also break down and grab a burger (or two) from Burger King when I'm drunk and need something greasy and starchy to soak up the alcohol quicker so I can drive home. I typically drink in my old college town, about thirty minutes from home now.

Bad news is I'm going on to graduate school, where I'll be living in a dorm without a kitchen, meaning access to a microwave and tiny refrigerator. I guess I'll have to be pretty careful about food then. :thumbup

Wanderer
Saturday, March 20th, 2010, 01:54 AM
What about french fries? Tonight, for example, I had a fish fry (same as fish and chips), and french fries are included. I don't know how healthy or unhealthy french fries are, but I'm assuming that they could lead to weighy gain due to the carbohydrates. French fries are pretty much included with most meals here, especially with sandwiches/burgers. So, they seem unavoidable.

Everyhting else, I've cut out...absolutely no more soda, potato chips, donuts, cake, etc. I would suggest replacing such snacks with popcorn, pretzels, nuts (all great with beer), or fruit. Occasionally, I treat myself to ice cream or chocolate.

Blod og Jord
Wednesday, April 7th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Rarely. Fast food is a convenience at rare times because it makes me feel full and induces a feeling of having eaten enough, and sometimes laziness and sleep.
But I generally avoid it because of the high number of calories, chemicals and other reasons.

Valbiorn
Wednesday, April 7th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Yes, but rarely, usually when I have no choice. Ironic, but for a few years (long ago) I drove a truck delivering natural/organic foods and my only real option while on the road was fast food.

Hersir
Thursday, April 8th, 2010, 11:52 AM
http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/9334/fastfood.gif

SaxonPagan
Thursday, April 8th, 2010, 01:19 PM
In France, circa 1982, I had no cooking facilities and had 3 meals a day in these places (and I mean every day) for over 6 months!

It was perhaps a combination of this and increased political/cultural awareness that made me stop a short time afterwards and I doubt I've been into a "fast food" outlet more than 5/6 times over the past 25 years. I seem to recall I took my son to McDonalds when he was very young but that must have a good 15 years ago and I've not set foot in one since.

The food isn't particularly nutritious but, in fairness, I'd have to say that I've always found the staff to be friendly and the establishments extremely clean (although I've never strayed into the kitchen zone ;))

OneWolf
Thursday, April 8th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Read what Hersir posted^^^^
What I would like to know is what was on that McAfrica.
Two-Sesame seed buns and a generous helping of air.
Would you like flies with that order,Sir.:D

SaxonPagan
Thursday, April 8th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Yes, it makes pretty gruesome reading doesn't it? :-O

Must confess I hadn't analysed all the gory details but I should be okay now as it's several decades since all this cr*p passed through my system. Mind you, it's made me realise how lucky I was to survive the 80's and I'll consider every day a bonus from now on!

Hamar Fox
Thursday, April 8th, 2010, 06:32 PM
I NEVER eat low quality cooked food. Being in hospital for almost a year (and also being on a very strict clean diet for even longer) really made me appreciate the beauty of great food. I still eat junk food as in chocolate bars, Pepsi and the like, but I could never eat at McD's or Burger King ever again. I suppose the only thing that even tastes nice at McDonald's is the bacon and egg McMuffin, and that only works if you don't look at it.

I make most of my own food, and if I don't, then I eat at quality restaurants.

Lothar
Monday, April 12th, 2010, 11:57 PM
Living up here in the north, and being so far from town I get very little opportunity to eat junk food, our town has 4 options A&W, KFC, 1 Pizza place
and my personal favorite Chinese. Some may not consider Chinese Junk food because of all the vegetables but the salt and fat make up for it.
as I generally go shopping once a month I do end up partaking of one of the 4 options.
I try to make up for it by having salads for my main meal, usually topped with Ham or extra extra lean ground beef, from my neighbors free range cattle.
also I have a cleansing fast once a year to clean out the pipes, for 10 to 20 days. I find this is a good balance between fun food and healthy living.

Cygnus
Wednesday, June 9th, 2010, 12:57 AM
Almost never. I like my home-prepared meals better than all fast-food and processed fare. One needn't worry about infrequent infractions, however. It's as difficult to get fat by enjoying an occasional greasy treat as it is to slim down by merely sliding a salad into your S.A.D.

BritishLad
Sunday, August 15th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Now and then

Northern Paladin
Monday, August 16th, 2010, 03:25 AM
I never eat junk food, but if I was REALLY hungry, and there was absolutely nothing else around I'd probably eat just a little, enough to give me energy to go look for better food :D

Wittmann
Monday, August 16th, 2010, 03:38 AM
I eat out almost every meal, and yet I'm suprisingly healthy! I worked at a McDonalds dor about a year and I can say, its not as bad as it looks, it's all real food, although I admit, I am partial to the Jack in the Box!

arvak
Monday, August 16th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Having a diet that consists mainly of fast food is the precursor to SUGAR DIEBETES 2. This is also a compound problem when quantities of larger are also consumed. There is a saying in Body Building keep away from the white death. That's all refined white sugar and flour. All food that has aspartine in it ,fizzy drinks. All food tampered with by the hand of man.
Always go natural and have the most food from this source. Boring as it may be but healther.
If you have a sugar craving source fresh fruit as a replacement.
There is only one life and one health and let that health be a good one.

Víđálfr
Monday, August 16th, 2010, 03:11 PM
There is only one life and one health and let that health be a good one.
Not sure if there's only one life, but still... this life is to be appreciated, we are here and now for a reason, and we should respect our body. Eating unhealthy stuff is a way to disrespect yourself and your own body.

As for sugar craving... oh, yeah, I have a soft spot for sweets... especially for chocolate and ice cream (they are absolutely delicious in Norway! :love)... it's quite difficult to deal with it, and at least from time to time it seems almost impossible to avoid consuming that. When I'll find an efficient solution about how to quit eating sweets, that works for me, too, I'll make sure to tell you, too. :D However, from time to time replacing sweets with dried fruits (natural dried fruits, without sugar added) really works. I mean some dried fruits are really sweet. But in some places it really is a problem to find healthy natural dried fruits, without sugar or preservatives added. It's a problem where I live now, unfortunately :( [and I usually have to ask myself, which is less unhealthy, chocolate / ice cream, or the sugar and preservatives in the dried fruits].

In my home-country I was able to quit eating "white death" sweets, including chocolate, simply by eating dried fruits whenever I felt the need for something sweet. Especially the dates work for that, but also cranberries (dried cranberries, no sugar or preservatives added, are really sweet). There are also combinations of more exotic fruits, in dried form. Really sweet, and also healthy, you forget about chocolate, ice cream and anything else containing the "white death". ;)