PDA

View Full Version : Skadi Forum on RootsWeb

Siebenbürgerin
Monday, January 12th, 2009, 05:18 AM
I'm happy to have found a theme linking to Skadi on the big site RootsWeb.

Here the theme:
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/RADDE/2006-05/1146501472

It looks like our genealogical and historical information is becoming of good use. :thumbup

Löwenherz
Monday, January 12th, 2009, 05:42 AM
Did you see the follow-up disclaimer (http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/RADDE/2006-05/1147764564)?...

Soten
Monday, January 12th, 2009, 06:39 AM
So why is Rootsweb linking to Skadi Forum anyway?

Please note that the link to the Skadi Forum, which was posted in the archives, was sent after a brief search at Google I believe with the term “Haplogroup I”. I did not realize the highly controversial postings and apparent goals of those operating the site. Please be aware that visitors to that site may be offended by some of the content there. Personally I do not support this group and its ideology.
Aaron HillList Manager

I wonder what he thinks the "apparent goals" of this forum are.

Siebenbürgerin
Monday, January 12th, 2009, 07:15 AM
They're linking here because someone found a thread on the history of Pomerania and it can be useful for genealogical research for those who have ancestors in the Germanic enclaves.

I didn't see the disclaimer, thanks for bringing it to attention. It's typical mainstream thinking... :(

Hmm, perhaps words like "controversial" and "offended" could play the role of key words and attract some users? Maybe the people who research their heritage and stumble across it read a thread or two more and can form a more open mind about us.

Allenson
Monday, January 12th, 2009, 05:05 PM
LOL--he says "ooops". ;)

I've used Rootsweb quite a bit in my genealogical pursuits.

Telluride
Monday, January 12th, 2009, 05:33 PM
So why is Rootsweb linking to Skadi Forum anyway?

I wonder what he thinks the "apparent goals" of this forum are.

My understanding is that the goals of Skadi are to preserve Germanic people and culture. I'm not sure why that would be offensive to anyone other than anti-white bigots.

Arundel
Wednesday, February 18th, 2009, 04:26 AM
I'm happy to have found a theme linking to Skadi on the big site RootsWeb.

Here the theme:
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/RADDE/2006-05/1146501472

It looks like our genealogical and historical information is becoming of good use. :thumbup

Rootsweb:
Good, I am a dedicated genealogist, & I use RootsWeb a lot. It has been a big help to me, and it's still free. I did belong to Ancestry.com, but they became much too expensive. Family Search is a great site that is free. It is mainted by the LDS church.

Siebenbürgerin
Wednesday, February 18th, 2009, 04:38 AM
My understanding is that the goals of Skadi are to preserve Germanic people and culture. I'm not sure why that would be offensive to anyone other than anti-white bigots.
That's true, but Skadi is a free speech forum so some users have opinions which aren't considered politically correct in the society. Maybe that person found one of these posts and felt offended. :shrug

Sigurd
Wednesday, February 18th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Well, then people are still wont to follow the link and read up on the topic for themselves. Once here, they will evidently look around and judge for themselves whether they like it or not. Even with the disclaimer, there's no such thing as bad publicity, and this is one is neutral at best: Even if he says that he disagrees with us on ideological matters, he at least evidently found us to be high-brow and qualitative enough in the first place to link to us.