PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol Consumption

Northern Paladin
Wednesday, September 22nd, 2004, 05:46 PM
Hi guys!

I don't drink alcohol, and I'm trying to trick some of you users into having a discussion with me as to whether or not alcohol in itself is of any value..

Yes, I'm a old school conspirologist and I say alcohol is bad shit.

Anyone get offended by this? Feel the urge to defende the couple of week glass of red wine, anyone..?

Borreby
Wednesday, September 22nd, 2004, 06:05 PM
It has taken me nearly 22 years to learn that the only safe amount of alcohol to drink is at most two (of whatever it is that one drinks). It has been a good 22 years of learning though...

In moderation, I don't think it can do any harm. But it is not often taken in moderation....

Katyusha
Thursday, September 23rd, 2004, 01:23 AM
red wine is supposedly VERY good for you, i've heard often. you could probably find some articlers about that with a google...

...well, someone's even made a site : http://www.red-wine-and-health.com/

...a couple of glasses a week? ;) i've heard that for max benefit you should drink a glass every DAY ;) i don't actually like red wine much though... actually red wine has more 'toxins' so if you try to drink too much of it at once it's much worse then say, drinking a bottle of white wine in one go ... *insert puking smiley here* not to mention it stains everything and turns your teeth and lips a funny colour :speechles

someone also told me guinness is a good source of 2nd-class proteins,hehe, :guinness: ....funnily enough because it's heavy compared to lagers (tasteless but hey once you get going...) and ciders (mmmm!) it also very quickly makes me erm.... y'know... :icon_redf

cosmocreator
Thursday, September 23rd, 2004, 02:35 AM
I haven't drank alcohol in 20 years.

Though there may be some things in red wine or beer that are good for you, I doubt the alcohol is. I wonder if non-alcoholic wine or beer has the same good elements. I actually like non-alcoholic beer (better than alcoholic beer). :bier:

Doktor Goebbels
Thursday, September 23rd, 2004, 09:44 AM
I was not looking at this religiously or as my youthful days growing up when I first saw the thread so I was laughing a little bit. I was thinking if one were to actually drink Christ's blood(same as any other human), so it would be very high in sodium. Since, Christ was just a normal person to me.:laugh:

Mistress Klaus
Friday, September 24th, 2004, 03:36 AM
:love: Red wine is good for your heart (but in moderation)...Same for all alkohol..A little bit will benefit your health. The line between drinking too much can be hard for some. :icon_razz. I have cut down considerably. (2 Beers last night while working on my recording for 4 hours...I am proud of myself! :viking3:).

NSFreja
Friday, September 24th, 2004, 07:58 AM
:love: Red wine is good for your heart (but in moderation)...Same for all alkohol..A little bit will benefit your health. The line between drinking too much can be hard for some. :icon_razz. I have cut down considerably. (2 Beers last night while working on my recording for 4 hours...I am proud of myself! :viking3:).Well...I drink once or twice a year, only beer though, when im on vacation, lol...can't stand the taste of wine and im allergic to it anyway.
Last time i tried wine, it took me about 30 mins, then it was time to try to get to a hospital as fast as i could...
Wine isn't always good for you it seems ;)

/M

cosmocreator
Saturday, September 25th, 2004, 08:51 PM
Well...I drink once or twice a year, only beer though, when im on vacation, lol...can't stand the taste of wine and im allergic to it anyway.
Last time i tried wine, it took me about 30 mins, then it was time to try to get to a hospital as fast as i could...
Wine isn't always good for you it seems ;)

/M

I'm that way too. People often think that reason I haven't drank in 20 years is because I used to have a drinking problem. Truth is, I've never liked alcohol. It would take me an hour to drink one alcoholic beer. A 6 pack would last me all day.

Neo Panzerboy
Sunday, September 26th, 2004, 03:48 PM
My story is hat I used to drink once in a while, having fun with it then, then suddenly I must have had some allergic reaction cause the taste alone only made me depressed. then i went to russia for a few months and i was appalled by them beutiful people so obviously severely damaged by alcohol, and i never drank since..

alcohol is a christian invention anyways.. beforeadays they would ingest interesting, locally growing herbs. if they mixed it with alcohol it was only as a preservation method for the herbs.

then there was passed a law of purity in brewing beer and the only hearb legal to mix in it was the hyperboring herb hop. the stupifyer.

healthy, free people of the previous times would never ever even consider ingesting alcohol by and for itself, what a shallow, sad drug it is.

the method the church used to pull this off was the dark ages with the burning of anyone with the knowledge of the plants of nature, and their healing uses.

Cheers now, ya'll hear!! :rofl: :beer1:

cosmocreator
Sunday, September 26th, 2004, 09:10 PM
I don't think anyone could deny that alcohol is a toxin (poison) for the body.

Loki
Sunday, September 26th, 2004, 09:14 PM
Wine is said to be good for the heart. Why do people say "red" wine? Is red wine better for your heart than white wine? I personally prefer white wine, and I am drinking a glass at the moment. :)

cosmocreator
Sunday, September 26th, 2004, 09:23 PM
Wine is said to be good for the heart. Why do people say "red" wine? Is red wine better for your heart than white wine? I personally prefer white wine, and I am drinking a glass at the moment. :)

I think there are certain elements in wine that are good for you but not alcohol.

Ya, supposedly red wine.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/heart/2001-12-19-wine.htm

Nightmare_Gbg
Sunday, September 26th, 2004, 09:30 PM
I usually drink whit moderation,but lately i been hitting the bottle way to much,and yesterday i had way to much.I think it's time to stop for a while,this cant be good for me.

Loki
Sunday, September 26th, 2004, 09:31 PM
I think there are certain elements in wine that are good for you but not alcohol.

Ya, supposedly red wine.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/heart/2001-12-19-wine.htm
Thanks, I was looking for that. I posted the full article here:

http://www.forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?p=8373#post8373

I think I am going to switch over from white to red wine.... but I usually like white wine because it is drunk cold... I don't like mild-temperatured drinks.

NSFreja
Sunday, September 26th, 2004, 09:37 PM
I usually drink whit moderation,but lately i been hitting the bottle way to much,and yesterday i had way to much.I think it's time to stop for a while,this cant be good for me.yeah, you have to rest now, and prepare for november ;)

/M

Nightmare_Gbg
Sunday, September 26th, 2004, 09:39 PM
I will probably do that.Have to be fit for fight by then. :icon_wink

cosmocreator
Sunday, September 26th, 2004, 09:53 PM
I think I am going to switch over from white to red wine.... but I usually like white wine because it is drunk cold... I don't like mild-temperatured drinks.

I know what you're saying. I think Chardonnay is the best tasting wine.

Nightmare_Gbg
Sunday, September 26th, 2004, 10:31 PM
Alkohol is a poison,so the efekts you feel when drunk is you'r body reacting to the poison.I didnt realy get this post right but i hav a a bit of a problem expressin myself today.

SaveEurope
Monday, September 27th, 2004, 06:40 AM
Woah, is that really the blood of Christ? He must have been wasted 24 hours a day, huh. :laugh:

Fox
Tuesday, September 28th, 2004, 01:49 AM
Woah, is that really the blood of Christ? He must have been wasted 24 hours a day, huh. :laugh:
Best show ever :)

SaveEurope
Tuesday, September 28th, 2004, 02:12 AM
Best show ever
I didn't think anyone was going to catch that! :icon_ques

Freja
Tuesday, September 28th, 2004, 04:19 AM
I love a glass of red wine in the evening and/or with good food and good company. That and chocolate are my two vices - at least I don´t smoke!

A glass of good, cold beer in summer is also a favourite. Or champagne....... *whips out the Cliquot*

CanadianWhite
Friday, November 19th, 2004, 09:37 PM
:love: Red wine is good for your heart (but in moderation)...Same for all alkohol..A little bit will benefit your health. The line between drinking too much can be hard for some. :icon_razz. I have cut down considerably. (2 Beers last night while working on my recording for 4 hours...I am proud of myself! :viking3:).

I have the same problem well playing with my band, they just seem to vanish into thin air. By the way, when is the next album coming out?

Perun
Saturday, November 20th, 2004, 05:14 PM
alcohol is a christian invention anyways..

Hmmmn.....thats interesting....perhaps you can explain why they've found 3000 year old wine in Egyptian tombs? And I believe Greeks worshipped a Dioynysus, who was the God of wine?

Never realized that when Christ first turned water into wine....that was the invention of alcohol itself!

the method the church used to pull this off was the dark ages with the burning of anyone with the knowledge of the plants of nature, and their healing uses.
That notion is a myth created during the 18th century and has long been refuted by historians.

Mistress Klaus
Thursday, November 25th, 2004, 03:33 PM
I have the same problem well playing with my band, they just seem to vanish into thin air. By the way, when is the next album coming out?

:viking3: Booze & band practise....Great fun :icon_bigg .. but ultimately a recipe for a buggered up beef roast...he he....All the timing is wrong, too hot & either taking your time drinking...then playing...or speeding ahead & not throughly working through the uncooked bits... :viking3: ... (I associate playing, with cooking a great meal :icon_smil). My album is basically done.. but I want to throughly go through each song & analyse it.(some leads & vocals need to re-recorded).. I said it would be released in 2004...looks like 2005 now. :icon_redf :viking3: What a lazy sod I am. Musik (and making musik) used to mean so much to me. The avid player as a teenager...practising for over 5 hours a day....now I have become too complacent & too absorbed in other activities around me. Trees ,Cats, renovating my house and listening to Beethoven is responsible... :viking3: ....My expression & composition in other influences of music (other than metal) is the cause of the delay. Reaching 30, makes all the older (ingrain) influences over the years come out. :icon_smil ....
Anyway...I am rambling on.

cosmocreator
Friday, November 26th, 2004, 02:40 AM
Anyway...I am rambling on.

Yes, but your rambling is nice. :)

Draugr
Thursday, December 9th, 2004, 04:45 AM
As a Gin drinker I must step up, firstly hard liquor relieves stress which has many benefits, and secondly.... well okay it is bad for your overall health, but I wasn't planning on living forever either. :bier:

Eikþyrnir
Wednesday, December 22nd, 2004, 02:06 AM
I have no idea what the title of this thread has to do with alcohol, but yeah... I drink in moderation.

Glory
Wednesday, December 22nd, 2004, 03:50 AM
Haha family guy is the best. I'm not planning on drinking the kid who do it just do it to be "cool" which I don't see how someone can be "cool" when they can't stand and are puking their brains out.

Blutwölfin
Thursday, September 22nd, 2005, 11:18 AM
We know from studies that a glass of red wine can offer more than just holiday cheer, but also protection against heart disease. And we know that our ancestors brewed beer and drank a lot of mead. But is alcohol in any rate healthy? Do you drink it occasionally or some kind of regularly? Or do you actually never drink some wine, beer and stuff like that? Is the consumption of alcohol in any way encouraged by the old faith?

Lots of questions, please discuss!

palesye
Thursday, September 22nd, 2005, 11:28 AM
Two or three bottles of beer a month does not make me regular drinker, I guess. So, I can say, I almost do not drink.

I enjoy our traditional non-alcohol drinks, though, likeKvass (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kvas).

Aor
Thursday, September 22nd, 2005, 11:38 AM
I think it's a personal choice. Moderate drinking, as in about 3 bottles twice a week (yes it also depends on your constitution) won't make you an alcoholic. The danger connected with alcohol is that you can drink a lot of alcohol over a long time and notice no addiction, but when suddenly you can't seem to keep yourself from drinking daily then it's all too late and you're most certainly screwed for life.

Also, I think drinking beer is obligatory for all Germanics! :D

palesye
Thursday, September 22nd, 2005, 11:44 AM
Also, I think drinking beer is obligatory for all Germanics! :D

Also for Czechs and Irish. :rolleyes:

Arcturus
Thursday, September 22nd, 2005, 12:02 PM
http://www.smiley.webrealite.com/images/food/a025.gifhttp://www.smiley.webrealite.com/images/food/h0301.gifhttp://www.smiley.webrealite.com/images/food/a015.gif
Not to mention Finns.
http://www.smiley.webrealite.com/images/food/a080.gifhttp://www.smiley.webrealite.com/images/food/f015.gifhttp://www.smiley.webrealite.com/images/musikparty/e035.gif

Pellonpekko
Thursday, September 22nd, 2005, 12:06 PM
Also for Czechs and Irish. :rolleyes:

Dont forget us Finns! ;)

And to the poll, i usually drink once or twice a month :beer1:

palesye
Thursday, September 22nd, 2005, 12:11 PM
Only vodka can warm our hearts during long dark winter nights. :)

Lundi
Thursday, September 22nd, 2005, 12:19 PM
Ahh the sweet taste of alcohol. Well beer is one of those little pleasant things I couldn’t live without, being only 20 I’m quite the beer drinker, normally having my fridge contain at least 10 different types of lagers and stouts. When going out I’m more of a Vodka or a Gin drinking chap.

Blutwölfin
Thursday, September 22nd, 2005, 12:36 PM
[...] being only 20 [...]

:O
Such a young man...!

Lissu
Thursday, September 22nd, 2005, 12:50 PM
:O
Such a young man...!...:laugh: Such a nice and cute young man :animal-sm

:redface:

Lundi
Thursday, September 22nd, 2005, 12:52 PM
:icon_redf

Blutwölfin
Thursday, September 22nd, 2005, 01:03 PM
...:laugh: Such a nice and cute young man :animal-sm

:redface:

I forgot to ad that, thanks, Ajatar. :D

Heirs To Perdition
Thursday, September 22nd, 2005, 01:21 PM
Beer in moderation, and most of the time I try to keep it to a minimum. If I drink one week, I hold off one or two. I don't indulge excessively. I can't deny the greatness of the Bavarian breweries though.

Heidenlord
Thursday, September 22nd, 2005, 01:32 PM
Alcohol is unhealthy, but good beer taste so good. I guess I a am a binge drinker. I go a week or 2 and then drink a 12-pack in one night. I don't drink liquor, and I have gotten drunk off of wine before (Merlot, Pinot Noir, ect...) It is fun to hang out with friends and do some drinking while fishing, watching racing, listening to music, camping, or whatever we are doing.

As far as germanic heathenism is concerned it seems that Odin suggests that heavy and regular drinking is bad. Line twelve of Hávamál (http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/havamal.html) suggest this...

Less good than they say for the sons of men
is the drinking oft of ale:
for the more they drink, the less can they think
and keep a watch o'er their wits.. I don't think drinking is wrong though.

Aptrgangr
Thursday, September 22nd, 2005, 01:42 PM
I never have drunk alcohol.
I could not click the "No- Vote Now" option, a conspiracy against prohibitionists?:icon1: :D

Lundi
Thursday, September 22nd, 2005, 02:09 PM
yeah I can't vote either

Nightmare_Gbg
Thursday, September 22nd, 2005, 02:23 PM
I do drink.But it's rarely these day's.

Triglav
Thursday, September 22nd, 2005, 02:40 PM
No booze for me, thank you.

Death and the Sun
Thursday, September 22nd, 2005, 02:53 PM
I voted yes. If it wasn't for alcohol, and the occasional opportunity to wind down one's trip meter to zero with it, I probably would have committed suicide by now. Sorry if I come across as an old miserabiilst bastard, but that's the truth.

Consuming alcohol in extremely moderate amounts can apparently be good for your cardiovascular health. Still, I don't think anyone drinks because of the possible positive effects to one's physical health.

Consuming alcohol because it feels good, and drinking because not drinking feels intolerable are two drastically different things -- I must admit that on one or two occasions, after a particularly raucous extended weekend, I have visited the less inviting side of that particular fence. But I have absolutely no intention of setting up a permanent residence there. ;)

Alcohol is the chosen poison of our race -- both a blessing and a curse. In many Northern nations alcoholism is a huge problem, but I'm 100% convinced that it is only a symptom, not the disease itself.

hauer
Thursday, September 22nd, 2005, 03:43 PM
I drink about fifthteen to twenty beers per week. When I have guests I usually offer them a beer instead of coffee and I frequently visits on of the local pubs doing the week. I really enjoy the cheerful atmosphere, but we all know each other because I live in a small town. I drink alcohol for the great taste, it's a national custom and to be together with my friends. Alcohol shouldn't be drunk when you're all alone.

HIM
Thursday, September 22nd, 2005, 03:49 PM
yeah I can't vote either

I am unable to vote as well.

I am quite a fan of beer. I try to keep my drinking in moderation, but occasionally I will get rather tipsy if I'm not driving. I don't drink much hard liquors, but I do like Jägermeister. :) Redbull + Jägmeister = deliciousness :icon12:

Zyklop
Thursday, September 22nd, 2005, 04:29 PM
Alcohol is a heavy drug and regardless of how beneficial it may be when consumed in moderation, 99% of people are too stupid to handle it. Although I occassionally have a drink myself, I wouldn´t mind a complete ban of alcohol from public. At least we would get rid of all these disgusting binges for the rabble each weekend.

HIM
Thursday, September 22nd, 2005, 04:50 PM
Although I occassionally have a drink myself, I wouldn´t mind a complete ban of alcohol from public.

They tried that here back in the 1920s and it didn't work so I seriously doubt it would work in Germany. All the best beers in the world come from there. I'd imagine that would greatly affect the economy.

Zyklop
Thursday, September 22nd, 2005, 04:59 PM
They tried that here back in the 1920s and it didn't work so I seriously doubt it would work in Germany. All the best beers in the world come from there. I'd imagine that would greatly affect the economy.Yeah, it´s really great having the best beer in the world while at the same time housing the worst scum. Sad enough that our economy is build upon this.

jcs
Thursday, September 22nd, 2005, 05:12 PM
"Too young," according to American authorities at least.
So long as one is not addicted or drinking to get drunk (if a person is willing to drink beer from a large American brewery such as Budweiser, they are either an addict or drunk), I see no problem with the consumption of alcohol.

Alcohol is a heavy drug and regardless of how beneficial it may be when consumed in moderation, 99% of people are too stupid to handle it. Although I occassionally have a drink myself, I wouldn´t mind a complete ban of alcohol from public. At least we would get rid of all these disgusting binges for the rabble each weekend.
Human filth would still exist.

The problem with alcohol, as with all drugs and other forms of escapism, is not the substance itself. Nor is it really the 99% of the population who are imbeciles. The issue is one of social degeneracy. In healthier eras, people still had alcohol and still drank, but they did not do so as often as a form of escape from everyday life. So we must ask, why are people trying to escape? From what do they try to flee?

Zyklop
Thursday, September 22nd, 2005, 05:24 PM
Human filth would still exist.
With the same reasoning we also could tolerate race-mixing, homosexuality or child abuse.

jcs
Thursday, September 22nd, 2005, 05:30 PM
With the same reasoning we also could tolerate race-mixing, homosexuality or child abuse.
did you read the rest of what I wrote? ;)

Alcohol is not the problem and prohibition is not a solution in the least. Alcohol-ism is a symptom, not the problem itself.

SouthernBoy
Thursday, September 22nd, 2005, 05:34 PM
I'm too young to drink (special answer for SB ) I picked "Yes!" :D

Zyklop
Thursday, September 22nd, 2005, 05:37 PM
Alcohol is not the problem and prohibition is not a solution in the least. Alcohol-ism is a symptom, not the problem itself.
A melanoma is also just a symptom, yet you have to cut it out to treat the cancer. I guess most people here are aware that there is something seriously wrong with our societies, not just with the drinking habits.

Väring
Thursday, September 22nd, 2005, 06:18 PM
I'm clean. :) I train regularly and this is in combination with alcohol is not good.

Náttfari
Thursday, September 22nd, 2005, 06:52 PM
I come from a nation where 9% of all males, eighteen years and older, have gone to rehabilitation because of alcohol problems. I do not drink and have no intention of doing so in the near future.

Banning alcohol is too socialist.

anonymaus
Thursday, September 22nd, 2005, 06:56 PM
I believe the correct response to this poll is "Delicious."

Glory
Thursday, September 22nd, 2005, 08:01 PM
No thanks.

Allenson
Thursday, September 22nd, 2005, 08:32 PM
I enjoy a beer or two every night when I get home from work--but that's about it. Occasionally at parties I'll have more....

I see nothing wrong with alcohol in moderation. That is the key though.

ChrisDownUnder
Friday, September 23rd, 2005, 08:05 AM
I drink occasionally, but only socially with friends. Usually only in moderate amounts; not nearly as much as when I was younger, when I would get drunk most weekends. :rolleyes:

Binge drinking is a big problem in this country, especially amongst youth. Peer-pressure places great value on the ability to consume vast amounts of alcohol.

Lissu
Friday, September 23rd, 2005, 09:24 AM
I usually drink very moderately, and rarely, perhaps once a month or so and usually no more than 4 portions. This has not been the case recently though. Heavy duties requires heavy pleasures I suppose....:coffee:

HIM
Friday, September 23rd, 2005, 03:44 PM
I usually drink very moderately, and rarely, perhaps once a month or so and usually no more than 4 portions. This has not been the case recently though. Heavy duties requires heavy pleasures I suppose....:coffee:

These are half litre portions though, right? :D

RedJack
Saturday, September 24th, 2005, 02:22 AM
"Also, I think drinking beer is obligatory for all Germanics!"

Absolutely! The Normans had a word for the extreme state of drunkeness the Saxons were fond of attaining; "atirelarigote". :bier:

Nordgau
Saturday, September 24th, 2005, 01:28 PM
I don't drink any alcohol at all--a few others, however, should keep on with quaffing, because I want to see the cultural landscape of certain regions, with vines and hopes, being preserved. :)

http://www.e-scapade.de/images/Weinberg/Lese%202001/Landschaft/Moselromantik.jpg

http://www.hb-verlag.de/bilder/impressionen/22.jpg

Mosel loop at Bremm

tuddorsped
Saturday, September 24th, 2005, 02:12 PM
When Abraham Lincoln was informed of General Ulysses Grant's drinking problem, he replied:

"Find out what brand of whisky he drinks and distribute it to all the other generals!"

I'm not for prohibiting any drugs. People with healthy lifestyles and imbued with a positive spirit would be unlikely to succumb to the living hell of drug dependency in the first place. And those people, of a naturally strong disposition, who through some trauma or unfortunate succession of events, become immersed in that world would I'm sure have the necessary willpower to overcome it if they so wished. I see nothing to fear at all. I actually mistrust people who claim to have no vices.

Wissen ist Macht
Saturday, September 24th, 2005, 02:46 PM
At the end of May I stopped drinking, since then, I have not consumed anything containing alcohol and I am happy with it. No hangovers, no getting fat from drinking too much beer. :)
Also, we need a cool head in these times instead of being drunken. :)

Thorburn
Sunday, September 25th, 2005, 03:10 AM
We know from studies that a glass of red wine can offer more than just holiday cheer, but also protection against heart disease. And we know that our ancestors brewed beer and drank a lot of mead. But is alcohol in any rate healthy? Do you drink it occasionally or some kind of regularly? Or do you actually never drink some wine, beer and stuff like that? Is the consumption of alcohol in any way encouraged by the old faith?

Lots of questions, please discuss! Like any drug it can be consumed without health damage occasionally and in moderation. Like any drug, it can even have health benefits -- physically and mentally -- if used that way.

Alcohol is an integral part of our cuisine and eating culture, and thus alone should be preserved.

Needless to say, prohibition could not be enforced, would only waste billions, boost crime, replace soft forms of alcohol (beer and wine) with toxic versions of hard liquor produced in illegal distilleries, and so increase harm for both drinkers and non-drinkers. We know the experiences from America. Thus, it should stay legal.

It should be taxed higher. Tax revenues should be dedicated to alcoholism treatment, to the innocent victims of conduct set under the influence of alcohol (e. g. by drunk driving) and education about alcohol.

Driving under the influence of alcohol should be made a criminal offense punishable by courts.

The selling or transfer of alcohol to minors should also be made a criminal offense punishable by courts. Bagatelle exemptions will apply to accomodate a glass of champagne at New Year or a bit of mead during a ritual. The consumption of alcohol by minors must naturally stay legal.

Drinking publicly in excess (drunkenness) should be prohibited; via administrative penalties for the drinker and via a criminal sentence for organizers like tavern, inn, pub, and restaurant owners.

Alcohol should be prohibited and not be available on all territories of the public hand and on all gatherings organized by the public hand. Bavaria could do more than 1,800 years a. y. p. s. without the Oktoberfest, and it will be able to deal the next 1,800 years without it again -- or without beer on the festival at least, but I fear not much would remain of it without beer. Tough luck.

The advertizing of alcohol should be prohibited.

In other words, I would deal with alcohol the pretty much the same I would deal with all other drugs (but coffee which would be outlawed :D). (That's just an insider joke.)

I agree with Zyklop that there are deeper social roots to the drug and alcohol problem. If they are addressed, abuse would be minimized if not marginalized.

I myself like to drink an appetizer or a glass of wine at an occasional dinner in good society. On more and more rare occasions a whiskey when surveying my town at night. A glass of French cognac with a cigar sometimes sounds inviting in winter nights -- sitting in my armchair in front of the feature fireplace, albeit I didn't have a glass for years.

I dislike beer.

I, in general, dislike alcohol, I believe. It's the misery of our times that all drugs of interest to an intelligent person are now banned.

Oddstríðir
Sunday, September 25th, 2005, 03:29 AM
The thought of taking the risk of offering my future family the nonsense and weakness of an alcoholic family father has never crossed my mind. Alcoholism is in my blood.

RedJack
Sunday, September 25th, 2005, 05:05 AM
"Driving under the influence of alcohol should be made a criminal offense punishable by courts."

You mean it isn't where you live? :icon1:

Heidenlord
Sunday, September 25th, 2005, 05:23 AM
When Abraham Lincoln was informed of General Ulysses Grant's drinking problem, he replied:

"Find out what brand of whisky he drinks and distribute it to all the other generals!"

I'm not for prohibiting any drugs. People with healthy lifestyles and imbued with a positive spirit would be unlikely to succumb to the living hell of drug dependency in the first place. And those people, of a naturally strong disposition, who through some trauma or unfortunate succession of events, become immersed in that world would I'm sure have the necessary willpower to overcome it if they so wished. I see nothing to fear at all. I actually mistrust people who claim to have no vices.

That nicely sums up my sentiments, although as a southerner I must express extreme dislike for Grant and Lincoln as it was my ancestors and adopted homelands that suffered the brunt of their fury.

Heidenlord
Sunday, September 25th, 2005, 05:25 AM

Lots of questions, please discuss!

What is your opinion on the subject?

Nordgau
Wednesday, September 28th, 2005, 05:35 PM
In other words, I would deal with alcohol the pretty much the same I would deal with all other drugs (but coffee which would be outlawed :D). (That's just an insider joke.)

I think that the direction of a future Reichsbetäubungsmittelgesetz will be a bit different, man. :D

Northern Paladin
Wednesday, October 5th, 2005, 04:48 AM
Yes in moderation. Though sometimes it may be beneficial in excess as well.:coffee: :D

Odal_
Tuesday, October 11th, 2005, 10:22 AM
I don´t drink... but it´s me... I accept people who drink only if they know where they have to stop drinking. I don´t trust people who drink...not when they are drunk.

NSFreja
Tuesday, October 11th, 2005, 10:59 AM
I voted yes, eventhough i only drink once or twice a year.
My bf though, i consider him as alcoholic but still, i think with small amount of it (not like when my bf drinks) it's okay with alcohol.

I only drink when im on vacation and not have to take care of anyone else than my self :)

Rehnskiöld
Thursday, October 13th, 2005, 09:50 PM
Yes,yes,YES! and in vast amounts! :bier: :beer1: :icon_bigg :iloveyou: :animal-sm :beer-smil Comes weekend and all I do is shotta! vodka,even jägermeister I shot with the occasional grogg inbetween untill I get enough and then I end up thrown out of the club and eventually in the custody of the friendly police,hopefully before gangs of ****ing turks steal my celluar phone (wich has happend in the past) or I lose other valuables or fall into the river,get driven over by a tram,beaten up by people I can't even racially classify to the extent wich continent or planet they'r from or some other nasty accident takes place. It's a hard time for me during winter,crawling around in the gutter at minus 15 degrees celcius isn't very comfortable nor healthy I can pass on to you all.

The trick is not to fall asleep when you've once fallen to the ground in winter, and whatever you do,do not fall asleep in a area where there's not much people on the move that might help you,of course most people passing by you when you lay struggling for you life in the snow and your own vomit won't even approach you but pass a hundred people, at least two of them will often be police and they'll bring you to a nice,cosey cell,hell,miracles do also happen so you might even be saved by a passing native. Lay you in say, a industrial area,the harbour or in a park, you better say your prayers because the nordish winter will be in striking position of claiming you sorry,drunkard life. For me it isn't fully as bad as for others since I have the comfort of knowing that I at least will become historical as the first in my town to freeze to death since the 60's!

The ideal is to fall right outside the club or if you can manage to get outside any other establishment open and someone'll hopefully call the police.I'll have to warn though,that vomiting on the guards are not recomendable, one may live in the misscomprehension that these characters of supposed authority will take any shit you throw at them with an smile just because they solemnly accept you calling them faggets and humiliating them in general when you'r in the line into the club.Vomit on them and you have crossed the line of how much a man can force him self to bear for the jewish sake of money,and it hurts,real bad.

Heidenlord
Thursday, October 13th, 2005, 11:14 PM
:beer-smil Here's to you Rehnskiöld!

I've seen some cold like that in Wyoming...in fact the very same thing almost happened to me during one of my first weekends there. Keep in mind that Wyoming in a lot of places is colder than most of lower Scandinavia usually.

Nightmare_Gbg
Thursday, October 13th, 2005, 11:23 PM
Yes,yes,YES! and in vast amounts! :bier: :beer1: :icon_bigg :iloveyou: :animal-sm :beer-smil Comes weekend and all I do is shotta! vodka,even jägermeister I shot with the occasional grogg inbetween untill I get enough and then I end up thrown out of the club and eventually in the custody of the friendly police,hopefully before gangs of ****ing turks steal my celluar phone (wich has happend in the past) or I lose other valuables or fall into the river,get driven over by a tram,beaten up by people I can't even racially classify to the extent wich continent or planet they'r from or some other nasty accident takes place. It's a hard time for me during winter,crawling around in the gutter at minus 15 degrees celcius isn't very comfortable nor healthy I can pass on to you all.

The trick is not to fall asleep when you've once fallen to the ground in winter, and whatever you do,do not fall asleep in a area where there's not much people on the move that might help you,of course most people passing by you when you lay struggling for you life in the snow and your own vomit won't even approach you but pass a hundred people, at least two of them will often be police and they'll bring you to a nice,cosey cell,hell,miracles do also happen so you might even be saved by a passing native. Lay you in say, a industrial area,the harbour or in a park, you better say your prayers because the nordish winter will be in striking position of claiming you sorry,drunkard life. For me it isn't fully as bad as for others since I have the comfort of knowing that I at least will become historical as the first in my town to freeze to death since the 60's!

The ideal is to fall right outside the club or if you can manage to get outside any other establishment open and someone'll hopefully call the police.I'll have to warn though,that vomiting on the guards are not recomendable, one may live in the misscomprehension that these characters of supposed authority will take any shit you throw at them with an smile just because they solemnly accept you calling them faggets and humiliating them in general when you'r in the line into the club.Vomit on them and you have crossed the line of how much a man can force him self to bear for the jewish sake of money,and it hurts,real bad.

Calling me faggot and such when i work will give you wast amounts of pain.I do not take any shit from anybody.Guess what i do for a living ;)

Arcturus
Thursday, October 13th, 2005, 11:27 PM
Calling me faggot and such when i work will give you wast amounts of pain.I do not take any shit from anybody.Guess what i do for a living ;)

Colleague :D

Nightmare_Gbg
Thursday, October 13th, 2005, 11:28 PM
Colleague :D

Whahey :D

Rehnskiöld
Friday, October 14th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Arcturus Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare_Gbg
Calling me faggot and such when i work will give you wast amounts of pain.I do not take any shit from anybody.Guess what i do for a living

Colleague

:O :icon_surp Oh god! nooo! Loki! you have been nourishing vipers by your bossom!

Rehnskiöld
Friday, October 14th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Calling me faggot and such when i work will give you wast amounts of pain.I do not take any shit from anybody.Guess what i do for a living

Then you differ greatly from the suppressed guards of some clubs in my town,they are very good at being publicly humiliated, we always give them a good mocking when we're waiting to get in or out,they keep bitching about like kärringar "we want out now f**king gardfagget!" "noo,it says twelve a'clock,noo!it's only 11.59 calm down,noo! ":P

Sean_
Sunday, October 16th, 2005, 06:24 PM
Alcohol isn't the problem.

Alcoholism isn't the problem.

Stupid people making stupid decisions is the problem. Every person that chooses to drink, and allows it to continue or escalate because they cannot process long-term consequence where immediate decisions are made, is part of the problem. They make endless justifications and excuses for indulging in alcoholic consumption, and then blame the alcohol's "addictive properties" instead of their own weakness and addictive personality when they wind up drinking more than they need to. I don't care whether or not it's cool to drink, or what studies back up occasional consumption. Stupid people always find external outlets and excuses in order to commit their errors of judgment, and then turn around and blame the symptom, simply because they can't discipline themselves or process the relatively simple thought that it is their problem, not the booze.

Drugs are not the problem. Stupid people are.

TisaAnne
Sunday, October 16th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Alcohol, yes or no? Hmmm... Yes, but only in moderation. ;) I grew out of the 'getting sh*t-faced drunk every weekend' thing pretty quickly... I had enough of that in my early teens to satisfy a lifetime. :rolleyes:

Now and again, though, I still do have a few drinks amongst friends... but nothing really crazy. I just enjoy the warm, fuzzy feeling and large grin that accompanies a few shots of whiskey, from time to time. I'm kind of a boring, reserved person so drinking on occasion is a nice way for me to unwind and come out of my shell a bit. :)

HIM
Sunday, October 16th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Alcohol, yes or no? Hmmm... Yes, but only in moderation. ;) I grew out of the 'getting sh*t-faced drunk every weekend' thing pretty quickly... I had enough of that in my early teens to satisfy a lifetime. :rolleyes:

Now and again, though, I still do have a few drinks amongst friends... but nothing really crazy. I just enjoy the warm, fuzzy feeling and large grin that accompanies a few shots of whiskey, from time to time. I'm kind of a boring, reserved person so drinking on occasion is a nice way for me to unwind and come out of my shell a bit. :)

Hey, wait a minute.....Are you old enough to be drinking? :annoysigr

:D

TisaAnne
Sunday, October 16th, 2005, 09:18 PM
Hey, wait a minute.....Are you old enough to be drinking? :annoysigr

:D

Nope. :redface: 3 more months, then I'll be legal. :D

Arcturus
Sunday, October 16th, 2005, 09:24 PM
Nope. :redface: 3 more months, then I'll be legal. :D

tsk tsk tsk... what is the youth of today coming to... :D

http://baby.bramhall.org/images/Scale50/S_2004-05-09-EdieBeer.JPG

Heidenlord
Sunday, October 16th, 2005, 10:46 PM
at least she is watching her figure drinking a light beer

Sigurd
Sunday, October 16th, 2005, 10:51 PM
My favorite drinks usually are Beer, Cider and Mead. Whereas Mead is mainly for special occasions though, it's kinda hard and expensive to get good one both in Innsbruck, and Aberdeen.

lei.talk
Wednesday, November 23rd, 2005, 07:20 AM
Stupid people making stupid decisions is the problem.as with smoking,

why would any rational person
with an understanding of human physiology
intentionally ingest a poison (http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2005/nov2005_report_alcohol_01.htm)?

there are many answers to that question.

Atlas
Wednesday, November 23rd, 2005, 07:21 AM
It's ok sometimes... I hate red wine and honestly I don't really trust those studies that say that drinking a daily glass of wine is good for your heart...

Hansy
Wednesday, November 23rd, 2005, 08:41 AM
I love my booze. :)

lei.talk
Friday, November 25th, 2005, 12:26 AM
for some less scientific,
but none-the-less real,

reasons not to imbibe the alcohol

- "cut and paste" this address: http://mmm.love.gg/humor_warnings.swf
(please, change the mmm to www).

GreenHeart
Tuesday, January 10th, 2006, 05:49 PM
I'm shocked by your article Lei, those are things you never guess!

Didn't the nazis say that alcohol and tobacco consumption is ruining aryan genetics?

This previously overlooked metabolite may play an important role in generating oxidative stress that can eventually lead to the development of diseases such as Alzheimer’s and cancer, as well as genetic mutations.

In light of this we now know it to be true.

I don't drink, but every so often, maybe once in two years or so, I succumb to peer pressure to take a few sips of homemade mead or, a glass or two of vodka mixed with coke, however I have never drunk enough to throw up or get a hangover.

When we visit friends, even on those rare occasions that I do drink, he drinks far more and usually wakes up the next morning feeling bad and with a headache, and I feel full of energy. I can't stop him but I do always warn him not to drink so much. :frown:

I will show him the article though. :D

GreenHeart
Tuesday, January 10th, 2006, 05:56 PM

You are joking right? :speechles

Tapio
Wednesday, January 11th, 2006, 01:28 AM
I take alcohol rarely (maybe once a month). But when I take it I take it a lot. Beer, booze all goes.

bocian
Wednesday, January 11th, 2006, 02:33 AM
I wish to be drunk forever...

with love. :P

If Man is as frail as a bubble,

and love is nothing but trouble,

then from God's vine, is it a sin,

to make wine to drown trouble in?

Ulex
Saturday, January 14th, 2006, 01:33 AM
When it comes to alcohol, I exercise extreme self-control. I never drink anything stronger than gin before midday.

Arcturus
Saturday, January 14th, 2006, 01:36 AM
When it comes to alcohol, I exercise extreme self-control. I never drink anything stronger than gin before midday.

Aye. I adhere to a very precise schedule to keep my drinking under control, which I first became familiar with as a plaque (not like the one shown, but same text) on my grandfathers boat.
http://www.awa.dk/whisky/jokes/whiskytimeaboard.jpg

Gagnraad
Saturday, January 14th, 2006, 02:22 AM
I drink beer and mead almost every weekend, and if I am going to a party I have some beer with me, a Jägermeister or vodka or home-brewed spirits(mostly around 70-96%)

Death and the Sun
Saturday, January 14th, 2006, 08:36 AM

Remember that it is always "before midday" somewhere. ;)

Imperator X
Thursday, December 11th, 2008, 01:27 AM
How much alcohol do you consume daily?

In my own case, I am a moderate drinker but on some days I meet the criterion of heavy drinking, although the definition of this is dubious.

Psychonaut
Thursday, December 11th, 2008, 01:43 AM
I'm an occasional drinker I suppose. I'll have a glass or two of something two or three times a week, more so during the holidays of course. :D

Reich des Waldes
Thursday, December 11th, 2008, 01:58 AM
A couple (4+) pints every other weekend I would say. Going to the gym 6 nights a week impedes any casual drinking I would do during the day with a meal. Ingesting anything that slows blood flow before or after working out slows the muscles from processing protein. Besides, going to the gym slightly drunk is a terrible idea especially when you forgot that it was the day to work legs :puke

I feel terrible.

QuietWind
Thursday, December 11th, 2008, 01:58 AM
I picked "other". I drink maybe 1-2 times a year..... if even that. When you take out all the years I have been pregnant or nursing, it probably drops my average down to once every 2 years. :P

Oski
Thursday, December 11th, 2008, 02:36 AM
I drink on weekends with my friends.

So I drink about 2 liters of vodka or whiskey a week.

Maelstrom
Thursday, December 11th, 2008, 07:08 AM
I normally sit around and have a few beers with my old man if I'm at home.

While at univeristy I often drink on Thursdays and Saturdays, though if I am doing so I can't afford to "waste" alcohol (ie knowing I don't have enough to get me totally pissed, but drinking it all anyway).

I think I actually drink more frequently at home because there's no great need to get absolutely drunk and alcohol is very readily available, even when I have no money. ;)

Hermelin
Thursday, December 11th, 2008, 08:02 AM
I handle alcohol very well and I don't get hangovers, despite that I only rarely drink. I don't feel the need to. I don't want the extra calories either :D. I can go on for months without alcohol. But I do drink a lot of vodka when my throat is very sore :P. The last time I had alcohol was a bit over a month ago when I had a nasty cough and sore throat.

Cythraul
Thursday, December 11th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Recently had my first drink in 5 years. No, I've not had a problem ;). I just chose a completely drug-free lifestyle. I had a drink recently because I wanted to break the taboo of being the only one of my friends who doesn't drink (they began to develop an idea of me as 'self-righteous' and I felt it useful to prove that I don't take that view at all). I didn't particularly enjoy or dislike it, so I'll probably continue to be a rare/occassional drinker.

Mac Seafraidh
Thursday, December 11th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Every few months. When I do drink, I probably drink a little over a moderate amount.

Blood_Axis
Thursday, December 11th, 2008, 01:10 PM
I was drinking almost daily during the summer (actually every summer), until someone suggested I am turning into an alcoholic :-O

I asked an other acquaintance who is a rehabilitated alcoholic and he said that I don't qualify, as a) I am a social drinker -I never drink alone at home, and b) I can go by without alcohol just fine.

What did alarm me was my increasing tolerance to it. I don't drink hard liquor, just wine and beer.
But I could gulp down a whole bottle of wine in just a few hours, and not even get dizzy! :alcohol

Anyways, now (as every other winter) I am back to being a weekend drinker and I have a couple (or a lot) of glasses of wine with food.
I don't get wasted and I rarely, if ever, have a hangover. It's only hard drinks or mixing of drinks that give my hangovers. :falc:

The rest of the week I just go without. I guess being a Greek, and thereby of Dionysian nature as well, I just *need* to taste a little wine, here and there :wine

BeornWulfWer
Thursday, December 11th, 2008, 01:32 PM

During the week from Monday to Thursday, I would say about three or five cans of Guinness. Perhaps a tot of whiskey if at the pub.

Friday, anything up to a whole bottle of Jameson's and several pints of Guinness. And shots of Sambuca, etc.. if we can sweet talk the barmaids. :D

It really depends who I'm with and how mad we are going for it.

I asked an other acquaintance who is a rehabilitated alcoholic and he said that I don't qualify, as a) I am a social drinker -I never drink alone at home, and b) I can go by without alcohol just fine.

I drink at home alone sometimes. Well, I say alone, it's the partner locking the door, giving me a look that says the door is infected, touch it and die, and she scuttles off to bed and I annoy her by singing and shouting at the cat.

I have a theory that alcoholism comes in three steps.

1) You drink too much and people worry about your intake. But you still function normally and can go for whole months without drinking.

2) You drink too much and have dreams about drinking when you are having a spell of no alcohol.
You may sneak into pubs on route home to say hello to friends and have a quick nip.

3) You put whiskey on your Bran Flakes instead of milk.

EDIT: Just discovered a new step. My partner has been invited to a Christmas disco and to take the children, too. The woman asked if I wanted to go along as there was a bar available.

What do you reckon? Stick that in between 1 and 2? :P

Blood_Axis
Thursday, December 11th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I have a theory that alcoholism comes in three steps.

1) You drink too much and people worry about your intake. But you still function normally and can go for whole months without drinking.

2) You drink too much and have dreams about drinking when you are having a spell of no alcohol.
You may sneak into pubs on route home to say hello to friends and have a quick nip.

3) You put whiskey on your Bran Flakes instead of milk.
I guess I am at stage 1 then, that's what my friend also suggested. I'll let you know when I start having Blody Marys for breakfast :P

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/128340160283906250iiznotalcohol.jpg

Patrioten
Thursday, December 11th, 2008, 02:19 PM
It has been suggested that I might be a bit too fond of drinking even though I seldom drink. A problem I have is that I don't really savor stuff that I drink normally, whenever I drink something I gulp it down pretty quickly, rarely putting my drink down for long, and subsequently I handle alcohol in the same way which is perhaps a mistake. I also notice quite a mood boost when I have my first drink of alcohol, almost instantly, which might not be too healthy :P. But at the same time I drink so seldom, it was several months ago since I last had something to drink.

Mrs. Lyfing
Thursday, December 11th, 2008, 02:23 PM
I do not drink, period. The taste sucks to me and the feeling. I never have any desires to drink either, and probably never will. Sometimes when I am really stressed I wish I could enjoy a drink or 3, but it just doesn't appeal to me. :shrug Alcoholism runs in my family as well. I am glad I didn't continue the cycle, just for my own sake and my loved ones. :)

Ossi
Thursday, December 11th, 2008, 02:50 PM
I'm not a regular drinker. Alcoholism is for the weak. I control hen and how much I drink, not viceversa.

Allenson
Thursday, December 11th, 2008, 04:47 PM
It seems that my family can handle their drink pretty well.... Tolerance is in my genome. ;)

Anyway, I have anywhere from one to as many as four ales (12 ounce bottles) when I get home from work--depending on what's going on & who stops by for a visit.

I rarely go out to the bars/pubs any more....maybe once a month or so.

Ulf
Thursday, December 11th, 2008, 05:20 PM
I drink when I have extra money.

Alice
Thursday, December 11th, 2008, 06:15 PM
All wine and beer is totally unappealing to me; I'll never be able to develop a taste for them. I wish I could, because everyone else around me enjoys wine and beer, and I feel left out sometimes. Perhaps my tastebuds are defective? :P

Mixed drinks like pina coladas and maragritas, on the other hand, are something that always taste good to me, but I only have them once or twice a year.

http://i37.tinypic.com/1z48qp1.jpg

Praetorianer
Thursday, December 11th, 2008, 06:26 PM
@salford: You have to force yourself to drink red wine. It´s the drink of the gods, so you´ll like it soon or later. :P

I would call myself a moderate drinker. I simply love to drink a glass of red wine at evenings. I want to stop to drink beer, as soon as possiblr, but I find it very hard. Red wine, not too much, is OK with me.

theTasmanian
Thursday, December 11th, 2008, 08:29 PM
I like the odd home brewed beer after work but no more than three steins at a time.....1.5L;)

this is not every day its just now and then

Scott Wodenson
Thursday, December 11th, 2008, 08:57 PM
The only time I drink is at Blot and Sumbel, though if I had an untapped source of mead, I'd drink at least a horn full a day ;)

Horns come in all sizes lol

Lyfing
Thursday, December 11th, 2008, 11:37 PM
I've battled with alcohol a long time now...

There was a time when I would wake up sober early in the morning, take a drink of vodka, lay back down a minute, take another drink, lay back down a minute, take another drink, until I was drunk enough to get up..!! I lived in Mexico then, and it was only 32 pesos ( that was about 3 dollars then ) a liter. I'd get up and drink until I could hardly walk, and then I would go to the bars and drink beer and "sober up", come home, listen to my radio, about the only English I would hear, and get "plistered" and pass out. Those were sad days for me.

Nowadays, I do much better. Today I ain't drank nothing. Yesterday I drank one pint. The day before I drank three pints. The day before that I drank four pints. I think I went through two twelve packs over the weekend, but that went with me drinking four or five beers on the way to work ( yeah I drink and then go cut down trees..:thumbup ) and four or five when I got home, so I never really got drunk.

I still get drunk sometimes though,go berserk, and headbutt things. I plan on doing that tomorrow when I get paid..:-O

Later,
-Lyfing

Papa Koos
Friday, December 12th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Some of you folks are going to hate me and some are going to thank me (if you bother to read this book).
http://www.amazon.com/Under-Influence-Guide-Realities-Alcoholism/dp/0553274872/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1229039685&sr=1-1

It's all science and no moralising, and one can take or leave the information and then live with the consequences (good or ill).

Oski
Friday, December 12th, 2008, 02:48 AM
Here is a question, do you think 2 liters (one on friday and one on saturday) a week is too much (healthwise)? I exercise allot and diet so I wonder...

Psychonaut
Friday, December 12th, 2008, 03:04 AM
Here is a question, do you think 2 liters (one on friday and one on saturday) a week is too much (healthwise)? I exercise allot and diet so I wonder...

Two liters of what? Beer or liquor?

Oski
Friday, December 12th, 2008, 03:27 AM
Vodka or whiskey, sometimes rum or tequila

Morning Wolf
Friday, December 12th, 2008, 04:39 AM
I love beer, followed by white then red wine, but I don't drink that often, usually once a week or less. When I do it can be from a little to a lot depending on what's going on.

Psychonaut
Friday, December 12th, 2008, 04:45 AM
Vodka or whiskey, sometimes rum or tequila

I know that the liver is very resilient, but that seems like an awful lot of hard liquor to be processing every week.

Papa Koos
Friday, December 12th, 2008, 05:59 AM
I think Milam & Ketcham would take the position that 10% of the population would begin as Cauldwell's 1) Social drinkers and/or 2) Life style drinkers and then after physiology took its course they would soon find themselves in the 3) Problem drinkers & 4) Alcoholic camps.

I don't want any of you folks to get your knickers in a bunch. Remember only around 10% of the population is genetically programmed to become physically addicted to alcohol.

I am BTW one of the 10% who must leave the drinking to the 90%. It's OK. I've learned how to relax and be spontaneous and joyful without altering my neurology.

Blood_Axis
Friday, December 12th, 2008, 09:52 AM
I guess, after reading that, I got promoted from a social, to a lifestyle drinker :P

Lavender Corrigan
Saturday, December 13th, 2008, 08:00 PM
I am not a big beer person except on special occasions but about twice a month I do enjoy a nice bottle of this German wine I like.

Atlas
Saturday, December 13th, 2008, 11:19 PM
I drink occasionally, on week ends mainly but these last years, I've been high on alcohol on holidays too. That's the "blinge drinking" the brits brought to most Europe I guess. I can handle 10 or more glasses of whiskey-coke a night, easily, with beers and some vodka. Never when I have to work the following day though.

Maelstrom
Sunday, December 14th, 2008, 12:26 AM
I am seriously considering giving up drinking, save the occassional beer or two.

I have never understood why some people do not drink, though recent personal developments have provided me with a bit more insight. A great many people are not fun to be around when drunk and I fear I may be one of them sometimes.

Pino
Sunday, December 14th, 2008, 01:16 AM
I dont drink at all and doubt I will ever feel the urge to again in my life.

I drink moderately (2-3 drinks daily)

have society got so drunk that drinking 2-3 pints of alcohol a day is moderate? To me anybody who drinks alcohol in any shape or form everyday has got a serious problem, 2-3 is a full blown alcoholic in my eyes.

Thusnelda
Sunday, December 14th, 2008, 01:34 AM
I drink only occassionally, not on a regular basis. And I can´t stand too much alcohol, anyway. ;)

Drinking some wine, cocktails or beer on a party or a festivity is totally normal and curteous. But I reject the massive consumption of alcohol and - especially - this disgusting form of "binge-drinking"! Friendly and kind people can become such morons if they´ve drunk too much alcohol - it´s really annoying. :thumbdown

Drinking alcohol should always be a side-effect of an event or a party and not the center of it.

(I´m sometimes tipsy but I was never really drunk in my life *g* )

Haereticus
Monday, December 15th, 2008, 01:53 PM

In my own case, I am a moderate drinker but on some days I meet the criterion of heavy drinking, although the definition of this is dubious.

I read recently that 'binge drinking' is described as drinking 4 pints or more at one session. By that definition I 'binge drink' probably once or twice per week.

Most days I'll drink a pint or 2 of beer, some days none. I probably exceed the official 'safe' limit, which by the standards of some of my friends seems excessively cautious, though I suppose we have to respect the opinions of the medical experts. I almost never drink wine or spirits. I don't think alcoholism is likely to be a problem for me. I've been drinking for more than 30 years. The novelty of being drunk wore off long ago. I like beer but I'm not keen on being drunk and I detest hangovers.

I have little patience for anti-alcohol, 'holier than thou', puritans, but alcohol should be treated with great caution and respect.

Cheers! :guinness

Imperator X
Monday, December 15th, 2008, 05:28 PM
have society got so drunk that drinking 2-3 pints of alcohol a day is moderate?

This is the definition of moderate drinking for a European. (1-2 for an American) I see no reason why there is a difference between a European and American, so European is the standard I use. It is agreed moderate drinkers generally live longer than both severe drinkers and pseudo-ascetic teetotals.

ladybright
Monday, December 15th, 2008, 05:47 PM
I only have five or six drinks a year. Between pregnancy and nursing I have to be very very careful during the last few years.

I had some really tasty mead(Drake Brothers) and Cherry Kijafa (One of my Dad's favorites) at the wake/openhouse party for my Dad last weekend.

SwordOfTheVistula
Tuesday, December 16th, 2008, 01:48 AM
have society got so drunk that drinking 2-3 pints of alcohol a day is moderate? To me anybody who drinks alcohol in any shape or form everyday has got a serious problem, 2-3 is a full blown alcoholic in my eyes.

I took that as an average, not a minimum, and 14-21 drinks per week seems a 'moderate' level. 7-9 on Friday and Saturday nights, and one with dinner every other night during the week, I'd consider a 'moderate level' would average out to "2-3/day".

I read recently that 'binge drinking' is described as drinking 4 pints or more at one session. By that definition I 'binge drink' probably once or twice per week.

Yeah, that seems a bit low of a standard for 'binge drinking', do people even get properly drunk after 4 pints? When I think 'binge drinking' I think people staggering around vomiting.

Pino
Tuesday, December 16th, 2008, 10:48 AM
I took that as an average, not a minimum, and 14-21 drinks per week seems a 'moderate' level. 7-9 on Friday and Saturday nights, and one with dinner every other night during the week, I'd consider a 'moderate level' would average out to "2-3/day".

Might come across as moderate to you but not to me.

TheGreatest
Tuesday, December 16th, 2008, 11:08 AM
About 3-4 shots when I'm feeling down or having a rough time

Oski
Tuesday, December 16th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Might come across as moderate to you but not to me.

This thread is about drinking alcohol not straight edge boasting.

Haereticus
Wednesday, December 17th, 2008, 12:43 PM
...do people even get properly drunk after 4 pints? When I think 'binge drinking' I think people staggering around vomiting.

It would, I'm guessing, take at least 8 or 9 pints to have that effect on me. However, I remember being falling down drunk after a couple of litres of cider in my youth. Most of the sad examples of people throwing up in the streets and falling over are usually very young and have been drinking spirits.

I'm reminded of Hogarth's "Beer Street and Gin Lane", in which the evils of gin are compared with the more gentle effects of beer.

http://frost.blogs.berlingske.dk/files/2008/07/beer-street-and-gin-lane.jpg

My father was in the Royal Navy for many years. I remember when I was in my teens he warned me of the dangers of drinking spirits. He said that he had seen colleagues slip into alcoholism, the step up to concentrated alcohol in the form of whisky, vodka etc. was, in his opinion, crossing the line. I'm sure there are plenty of beer drinking alcoholics though, so I wouldn't say avoiding spirits is fail-safe.

Pino
Wednesday, December 17th, 2008, 04:51 PM
This thread is about drinking alcohol not straight edge boasting.

I'm not boasting about anything, I offered my opinion of how much society drinks when drinking everyday is considerd moderate.

surely with todays technology some brainiac in a lab can put all sorts of horrid chemicals together and create the same taste of alcohol without the alcohol in it since some people have said they only drink 2-3 per day, if you are drinking 2-3 per day you are obviously not drinking with the intention on getting drunk so whats the point in actually drinking alcohol?

Haereticus
Wednesday, December 17th, 2008, 05:14 PM
... if you are drinking 2-3 per day you are obviously not drinking with the intention on getting drunk so whats the point in actually drinking alcohol?

Because I like it.

In the same way you might enjoy a biscuit but not want to eat the whole packet. :D

Psychonaut
Thursday, December 18th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Because I like it.

In the same way you might enjoy a biscuit but not want to eat the whole packet. :D

Exactly. You don't have to get smashed to enjoy the mild euphoria that alcohol brings on.

Oski
Thursday, December 18th, 2008, 01:42 AM
I'm not boasting about anything, I offered my opinion of how much society drinks when drinking everyday is considerd moderate.

surely with todays technology some brainiac in a lab can put all sorts of horrid chemicals together and create the same taste of alcohol without the alcohol in it since some people have said they only drink 2-3 per day, if you are drinking 2-3 per day you are obviously not drinking with the intention on getting drunk so whats the point in actually drinking alcohol?

Our germanic ancestors were mead drinkers among other fermentations. Would you refuse whiskey from a swiss St. Bernard if it were saving you from a blizzard? In america drinking is even known as "white man's burden" as many injuns couldn't handle alcohol physically or mentally.

Sigurd
Thursday, December 18th, 2008, 02:44 AM
I suppose I'm a bit of a lifestyle drinker. Usually I follow the rule of Kein Bier vor Vier, i.e. "no beer before four", the amounts of times I've started drinking earlier than that can probably be counted on two hands, and 90% of them were less than half an hour before that magic time. :D

Jokes aside - I have a genuine love for beer. It happens about three times a year that I drink cheap stuff, or other stuff - but for the most part, I only drink beers I really like. Suppose I'm an "in it for the taste" drinker there, even if I'm already more than just a little tipsy, I try not to substitute for quality.

Usually, of recent I drink about three times a week (used to be only both Friday/Saturday): 7-8 beers every Friday/Saturday, and about 3-4 on a Wednesday for that's where my favourite beer (Weihenstephan Weißbier Dunkel) is one of the ones that are on a special offer - not just the 10% Student discount, but also a 20% extra discount. On other days, it can happen that I drink a single beer when seated in a Cafe with a friend to just "chatter away" or of course the obligatory single beer to accompany a meal out. If I am low on money, it may also be just one day on a weekend though.

I know some might be shocked more by the amount rather than by the frequency - but being both tall and heavy and coming from a regional culture where beer is very much part of the lifestyle, I can take enormous amounts of beer without feeling drunk. I'll be heavily tipsy after 3 cocktails, but I'll be sober as a judge after 5 pints. ;)

If I don't have the funds, I don't drink however, so I can go for weeks without it. Though I must admit, that the Friday/Saturday is a bit of an old habit and thus I do feel a little bored when I'm not with my friends for a pint on said day.

My father put a self-test in front of me to point out that I had an alcohol problem, but in my humble view, I don't, and I didn't score overly high either. I've been thinking to myself lately whether I had an alcohol problem, but that probably comes from another problem...

...because my body breaks down toxins very slowly, I oft go to bed near-sober and wake up drunk if you know what I mean. I never get so drunk that I am out of control --- well, I suppose too much Whisky can do that to me (don't know why, but Whisky is the only beverage that gets me a little snippy and aggressive :shrug), but that's why I rarely drink Whisky these days and never more than a glass or two. I've learnt from that day of the 17 doubles. ;)

I never drink to get drunk either. I'm a bit of a "lifestyle social drinker". I either go for a drink with my friends --- or if I go for one on my own, then it is just purely for the taste of a short, brief refreshment. The amounts of times that I drink one whilst browsing the net or sth can be counted as a maximum of five times per year. ;)

Suppose I could go without beer for half a year or so, in fact I've gone without it for several weeks on end before. But since a life without beer and cheese is a life without meaning, these two delicacies will have to remain my "vices". :shrug

PS:

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/6516/24473846128014ao.jpg

:P

Birka
Thursday, December 18th, 2008, 03:11 AM
I mostly do not drink. I do have the occasional Guinness with a friend at a special occasion. Same thing for a shot of Scotch or Vodka at very rare special occasions. I never have to worry about getting a DUI and possible losing my driving license and even my company car.

SwordOfTheVistula
Thursday, December 18th, 2008, 03:18 AM
if you are drinking 2-3 per day you are obviously not drinking with the intention on getting drunk so whats the point in actually drinking alcohol?

It helps me sleep, and they won't prescribe ambien for me except once/year or so.

Allenson
Thursday, December 18th, 2008, 02:06 PM

I really think that it depends on the individual & their history, both personal and genetic.

It is hard to apply universal criteria, with anything, let alone alcohol.

In short, for many, a couple of beers or glasses of wine after work is 'no shakes' and will lead to nothing more diabolical than some end of the day relaxation with no responsibilities shirked. For others though, it could be the begining of the long dark road to dependence--genetics playing a large role in either direction. Some people are inherently prone to violent or decadent alcoholism whereas others seem to be able to 'hold their' drink quite well with generally no adverse effects.

The key is for the individual to learn his or her tendencies and conduct themselves accordingly and responsibly.

That's my take on the matter, anyway. ;)

Aptrgangr
Thursday, December 18th, 2008, 08:11 PM
I never did, do not and will never drink alcohol.

Oski
Thursday, December 18th, 2008, 08:13 PM
I never did, do not and will never drink alcohol.

Yeah have fun with that. :D

rainman
Monday, December 22nd, 2008, 04:34 PM
alcohol shrinks the brain. Even extremely moderate use. The thing is if you only use a very small amount the intelligence lost is very minimal and not a big deal, but it should be considered. You ever wonder why most of these rednecks seem to have no wits about them by the time they are 40 whereas their children don't seem that stupid? Naturally intelligence will decrease, but a lifetime of drinking or other poor habits compounds this severely.

Aptrgangr
Tuesday, December 23rd, 2008, 10:31 AM
Yeah have fun with that. :D

It´s beyond me how someone can drink what smells like urine, in general I am a fan of fresh and not fermented food...

Pino
Tuesday, December 23rd, 2008, 10:36 AM
It´s beyond me how someone can drink what smells like urine, in general I am a fan of fresh and not fermented food...

..And some of us can have fun while thinking properly.

If people need alcohol to 'come out there shell' and be socialble then they have a problem.

Oski
Tuesday, December 23rd, 2008, 08:29 PM
..And some of us can have fun while thinking properly.

If people need alcohol to 'come out there shell' and be socialble then they have a problem.

Pino = http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k359/emo-gothic-girl2/thstraight_edge.jpg

Thrymheim
Tuesday, December 23rd, 2008, 09:05 PM
I drink probably once every two weeks and consumption will be about 6-7 doubles (50 ml each) I generally drink spirits but do like a pint or 4 of good still cloudy English cider, unfortunately I only know of one pub that serves such here.
I used to drink every week and then it would be 3 or 4 pints I never drink at home or on my own and don't see the point of "relaxation" drinking, I don't find it has any effect at all. So if I am drinking I'm doing it to get drunk, annoyingly for my friends I have never had a hangover either.

On the Drunkenness side of things the level of drink I consume makes me silly and off balance but I have never had any trouble walking, nor have I forgotten anything while out, I don't understand how you can get yourself into such a state that you have to be helped home it just doesn't compute.

BeornWulfWer
Tuesday, December 23rd, 2008, 09:53 PM
I'm not like that personally, but I do wake up sometimes and have this strong feeling that I have offended someone. :D

The worst one I did started off a pub brawl.

A good looking girl had a tattoo of a Chinese symbol on her arm. Me, being drunk, go bounding over and chat her up and asking her what her tattoo stood for.
She played all coy and annoyed me so I said "is it Mandarin for whore?"

Silence in the pub. "What did you call my girlfriend?....blah blah. You know the rest.

Pino
Tuesday, December 23rd, 2008, 11:51 PM
Pino = http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k359/emo-gothic-girl2/thstraight_edge.jpg

ha! Your not wrong lol I've even considerd the very same tattoo!

Haereticus
Wednesday, December 24th, 2008, 01:22 AM
It's a difficult choice...

http://forums.skadi.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=101082&stc=1&d=1230081643

Oski
Wednesday, December 24th, 2008, 02:06 AM
It's a difficult choice...

http://forums.skadi.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=101082&stc=1&d=1230081643

Can't I have women and whipping ??? j/k :D

Papa Koos
Wednesday, December 24th, 2008, 02:18 AM
Can't I have women and whipping ??? j/k :D

Visual hyperbole anyone???

Haereticus
Wednesday, December 24th, 2008, 03:00 AM
I'm not like that personally, but I do wake up sometimes and have this strong feeling that I have offended someone. :D

The worst one I did started off a pub brawl.

A good looking girl had a tattoo of a Chinese symbol on her arm. Me, being drunk, go bounding over and chat her up and asking her what her tattoo stood for.
She played all coy and annoyed me so I said "is it Mandarin for whore?"

Silence in the pub. "What did you call my girlfriend?....blah blah. You know the rest.

:skypebigsmile:

Yes, that sort of thing can only happen after drinking a bit too much. I've done similar. I developed a technique to help avoid this sort of situation. If you think of a 'bright idea' whilst intoxicated, ask yourself "would I say/do this sober?" If the answer is "no" then It's very likely not as good an idea as you first thought. If you're not sure and it is a good idea; wait, it'll still be a good idea the following day and you can do it then. A few mornings I've woken and been very very happy I'd adopted this technique.

Papa Koos
Wednesday, December 24th, 2008, 04:15 AM

TheGreatest
Wednesday, December 24th, 2008, 05:24 AM
alcohol shrinks the brain. Even extremely moderate use. The thing is if you only use a very small amount the intelligence lost is very minimal and not a big deal, but it should be considered. You ever wonder why most of these rednecks seem to have no wits about them by the time they are 40 whereas their children don't seem that stupid? Naturally intelligence will decrease, but a lifetime of drinking or other poor habits compounds this severely.

Rural people are not stupid. My Grandfather was an extremely successful farmer.
Why the hate against rural people? I don't need to go far to find retards in the city. In fact I encounter them on a daily basis.

rainman
Friday, December 26th, 2008, 05:49 AM
City people are dumber where I live. I just thought you guys would have more experience with rednecks. Let's say in general you notice people who come from a culture that drink a lot (or use a lot of drugs) you see a wider gap between intelligence of the young and old.

Vinlander
Thursday, April 1st, 2010, 11:28 PM
There is nothing wrong with consuming alcohol in moderation. Man has been drinking alcohol since the Egyptians (maybe longer?), And its nigh impossible to get through a blot with out imbibing at least a little honey mead. Its when it becomes a necessity for you to function, have a good time, etc that it is a problem. Alcoholism, just like drug addiction is a plague among many culture's. The person drinking needs to have the strength to control their drinking and not the other way around. Otherwise you're just another addict in my opinion.

Plushtar
Friday, August 13th, 2010, 05:35 PM
I am a social drinker since I will only drink a Heineken or two on holidays.

Northern Paladin
Friday, August 13th, 2010, 05:40 PM
I can honestly say that I HATE drinking, and I almost never do it. I used to drink moderately, and socially but it made me feel really dry and irritable.

Sigurd
Friday, August 13th, 2010, 07:06 PM
I am actually shocked. I knew I had probably posted in this thread before, and when I re-read my old reply, I notice I probably quite seriously had a bit of an alcohol problem back then, because what I wrote back then sounds fairly abnormal from how I see things right now. I wouldn't know whether to laugh or to cry about what regularity and amounts I found perfectly normal back then. :-O

As we stand now, it's the odd beer to a meal and sometimes a wee drink when meeting with a fellow student or a friend ("friend" here includes my comrades when we meet for a drink, I don't drink before or during activism, and never much after either) but not with any regularity; there I sit there to enjoy the taste, and usually I'll not have more than one or two beers then.

I usually reserve one day on a weekend where I drink a little more which is typically 5-6 beers spread out over the entire evening, plus perhaps a small helping of mead, and if I realise I'm getting tipsy I quit or go. The other day of the weekend I will oft also drink some beer (3-4 at best), but significantly less. It's usually a slightly more sanguine day, and a slightly more easy day; I'm not particularly fussed if I'm staying in or go away and drink nothing. It's not such a big deal, I know other things to do, and a good and cozy group doesn't need the alcohol to have fun; it's the company that makes the evening fun and not the beer. :)

Fyrgenholt
Friday, August 13th, 2010, 07:14 PM
I drink quite a large amount, but only really of weekends, and I only really drink English ales. Quite often I will have a pint a night, but never really enough to get me drunk. I like beers because I like the taste.

http://www.englishbeers.nl/catalog/images/black-sheep-logo.jpg

Yes please.

Wittmann
Saturday, August 14th, 2010, 09:25 AM
I have never drank. I don't really see the point in it, but I respect the rights of anyone to drink (within reason), I just don't see why I would want to numb my senses.

Mrs vonTrep
Saturday, August 14th, 2010, 10:20 AM
I don't drink alcohol at all and the reason for that is simple - it tastes awful, no matter how small percent alcohol is in the drink, I still feel the awful taste. Besides, I'm not very fond of drugs and see it as a very unnecessary thing.

That said, I don't have any problems with people who like to have a drink or a beer now and then, some know how to handle it. Though, I'm having a hard time with drunk people - bad experiences.

Alcohol has been such a destroyer when it comes to my people (not at least on individual levels) and therefore I wouldn't cry a tear if it got banned. BUT I'd rather see a change in the way people look at alcohol and drinking than prohibitions.

And no, I don't give a f*ck about how much the Vikings drank or how long alcohol's been "a part of our culture".

Sigurd
Saturday, August 14th, 2010, 03:24 PM
And no, I don't give a f*ck about how much the Vikings drank or how long alcohol's been "a part of our culture".

This is actually a fair point, if we aligned ourselves entirely by what the viking did, we'd use henbane in our beers and would smoke pot regularly, and would engage in polygamy. So much for the argument "If the Vikings did it..." :P

With the possible exception of the last (which can be useful for population growth [in the case of polygyny] or population control [in the case of polyandry]), neither of those things are productive; the spiritual or social use of common hemp is near zero except for weaving clothes and henbane is likely what made the Berserks go nuts (http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=119175) when they were given "a little" too much of it. ;)

Sindig_og_stoisk
Saturday, August 14th, 2010, 03:27 PM
I have been known to engage in the odd binge drinking every once in a while, but with age I have gotten more and more of a guilty conscience about it.

A friend of mine, who is quite the binge drinker, once gave himself the task of going through four weeks of social events without any alcohol. I vowed to beat him by going five weeks, but that project got derailed... actually a rather good story about a sweet girl offering me a beer and one thing leading to another.

Yesterday, I was at a party where the aforementioned friend managed to puke on the floor and fall asleep, and when I came home my girlfriends friend who was sleeping over had also managed to puke on the guest bed and the bathroom floor. Needless to say, I do not have a high opinion of alcohol consumption right now. That is why I am going to renew my five week pledge starting today. It will stretch right into the beginning of a new semester at university, so I will have to endure many temptations. But if succesful, I will have conclusively proven that I control alcohol, not the other way around.

Sigurd
Saturday, August 14th, 2010, 03:50 PM
A friend of mine, who is quite the binge drinker, once gave himself the task of going through four weeks of social events without any alcohol.

A friend of mine does that in regular spans of time as well, he usually chooses spontaneously a month per year where he drinks not one drop of alcohol and he has thus far always managed. He actually annotated that since it was something his father and grandfather did when they were still alive, the regular "alcohol-free month" is a bit of a "family tradition", and gives him a doubly good reason to pull it through. He has my greatest support for that. :)

Yesterday, I was at a party where the aforementioned friend managed to puke on the floor and fall asleep, and when I came home my girlfriends friend who was sleeping over had also managed to puke on the guest bed and the bathroom floor.

If it gets to the point where one has to puke and falls asleep essentially in their own vomit, it is the point where someone essentially has an alcohol problem. Back in the days when I'd be binge-drinking essentially every other weekend, I would oft have the odd beer too much and would vomit, but even then I would make a point of at least making it to the toilet where it doesn't make a mess. :|

Needless to say, I do not have a high opinion of alcohol consumption right now. That is why I am going to renew my five week pledge starting today. It will stretch right into the beginning of a new semester at university, so I will have to endure many temptations. But if succesful, I will have conclusively proven that I control alcohol, not the other way around.

All the best with that, you have my full support. If need be, make it a double challenge and have friends come by with all your favourite brands of beer and indulge in a binge. It'd be almost what I told my comrades and mates when I stopped smoking the first time around: "Please, all smoke around me, blow your smoke into my face, offer me cigarettes; because only if I can stay strong then, I will know that I can resist any temptation". ;)

The reason why I restarted is a different thing, which I'm not going to relate to. About five people know, and that is enough people who need to know. :)

GermanJerseyGuy
Saturday, August 14th, 2010, 04:12 PM
On the weekends I usually I have a few beers, I try to limit this for training purposes. I enjoy mead as well.

William Frost
Saturday, August 14th, 2010, 04:16 PM
I love a drink every now and again but I do have a tendancy to over do things. It makes me feel a bit childish to be honest. It also makes me feel wasteful, for I have gone through a gallon of mead in one sitting not even tasting it. I just have a problem knowing when to stop. However, I am learning to control myself.