PDA

View Full Version : Icelandic Fishballs

Dagna
Sunday, December 7th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Icelandic Fishballs

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/3581/fishballsok7.jpg

In light of the economic crisis, people are increasingly turning towards inexpensive and healthy food traditions. Homemade fishballs, a favored treat by children of generations past, are among dishes that are returning to Icelandic dinner tables.

Fishballs can either be made from raw or boiled fish, usually cod or haddock. Raw fish is either scraped or processed with a machine. Fishballs from boiled fish are commonly known as daudar bollur or “dead balls,” although they are just as tasty.

Bring the water to boil. Put a few fish fillets into the boiling water and then turn the heat off. After about ten to 15 minutes, take the fish fillets out of the casserole and leave to cool. You may want to save the water that was used for boiling the fish to make soup later on.

Put the fillets into a sieve to remove excess water and then put the fish into a bowl. For 300 to 400 grams of fish(10-14 oz), grate one onion. You can also add a few cloves of garlic and press them with a garlic press.

Season with one to 1.5 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Some recipes also include 1/2 to one teaspoon nutmeg. Use a hand mixer to blend the ingredients.

Then add three tablespoons flour (or whole-wheat) and 1.5 to two tablespoons potato flour. You can also replace the potato flour with breadcrumbs. For 300 to 400 grams of fish, add one egg to the mixture, but two or three for a larger portion of fish.

Finally add some milk or cream, one to 2.5 deciliters(8 oz), or until all the ingredients stick nicely together. Melt some butter in a frying pan and then make fishballs with the aid of a tablespoon. If you use boiled fish you don’t have to fry the balls for long. Just fry until each side has acquired a golden color.

Then boil some potatoes to serve with the fishballs. A salad made of grated carrots and apples is excellent with this dish. Include some orange juice and raisins to make the salad perfect. No sauce is necessary for the fishballs, only a slice of good salted butter or melted butter with fresh chives or parsley.

Since making fishballs takes some time and effort, it is common to make a considerable amount of the delicacy at the same time and then place a sufficient number of fishballs for one meal into separate bags and store in the freezer. Then, for the next meal, the fishballs only have to be reheated in the oven or the frying pan.

Enjoy!

Click on the link to watch an audio slideshow of how Icelandic fishballs are made.
http://www.icelandreview.com/icelandreview/features/multimedia/?cat_id=16539&ew_0_a_id=315858

ladybright
Saturday, December 20th, 2008, 02:44 PM
I made them yesterday and they were quite tasty. I used 2 pounds of fish. I only had whiting on hand. I also had run out of potato starch so I substituted 1 cup of mashed potato flakes. My daughter thought they were Ok but liked them better with ketchup/tartar sauce.

Hersir
Sunday, December 21st, 2008, 03:03 AM
The link leads me to a page about cookies.
This is the correct link http://www.icelandreview.com/icelandreview/features/multimedia/?ew_news_onlyarea=&ew_news_onlyposition=13&cat_id=29473&ew_13_a_id=315858

They look good, have to make them some time. Have eaten alot of homemade norwegian fishcakes, and they are lovely.