PDA

View Full Version : Economic Benefits of Mass Immigration Are Close to Zero

Dagna
Monday, December 1st, 2008, 05:55 AM
'Economic benefits of mass immigration are close to zero', Lords told

Claims that mass immigration has benefited the economy have been 'wildly overstated' by the Government, experts said yesterday.

Record levels of migration have brought virtually no economic benefit to Britain, the House of Lords was told.

Ministers have repeatedly insisted that newcomers contribute 6billion a year to the country's balance sheet.

But an authoritative report by the Lords Economic Affairs Committee, debated yesterday, blew apart Labour's claims that the wave of immigration from Eastern Europe had enormous benefits.

Instead, it was worth just 58p each week on the living standards of the native population about the price of a Mars bar.

Last night the authors of the report including former Chancellors Nigel Lawson and Norman Lamont, Bank of England directors and captains of industry were embroiled in a race row.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1085759/Economic-benefits-mass-immigration-close-zero--Lords-told.html

rainman
Thursday, December 11th, 2008, 01:11 AM
I look at it in simple terms. Unless there is some massive shortage of unskilled labor or some need to spend money on welfare to boost the economy which is almost never the case then:

Anyone immigrating below the abilities/education of an average citizen- cost the nation. Anyone above average contributes (so long as there are resources- that is not a population problem or glut in that particular field).

Then if the nation is over populated as it is then I guess everyone costs the nation.

The only thing immigration does is reshuffle the money. Lower wages means more profits for the rich and less money for the masses. Therefore the rich consider it an economic benefit.

I would give people an I.Q. test or ask them for credentials of higher education in an industry in demand. If they have something above average then I would consider letting them in possibly. For your average joe that just so happens to want to move for whatever reason: pay a huge fine to the people of the nation that the average bum cannot afford. Like $10,000 or something. Immigration problem solved.

SaxonPagan
Wednesday, October 28th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I don't agree that economic benefits from immigration are close to zero - I believe they're well into NEGATIVE territory!

I come from a town where I have seen with my own eyes Indians getting their pensions/benefits paid to them in cash and immediately they pull out an envolope, stash part (often most) of the money into it and sent it off to India via recorded delivery ... all in one move!

Admittedly, this was some years ago and methods of payment have changed since with electronic transfers etc. but I'm absolutely certain that this practice has continued. Even those who work send a large part of their wages "home" and only live on their requirements, while a 3rd World family can easily live on what is being sent to them.

There's never been any secret about this, except in the press where the myth has been peddled that immigrants are good for the economy. This is complete rubbish, and the drain of money out of our system just by this method alone must be huge!!!

Interestingly, this report seems to only deal with eastern Europeans and makes no mention of Asians but I'm sure that what applies to Asians (that I can personally vouch for) holds equally true for Poles and Roumanians. Also, we're only seeing the "official" figures which are always doctored to present the most favourable view as well as not taking into account the illegal/semi-legal immigrants that the Government cannot or doesn't want to know about.

A full report would surely push even their own figures into the negative zone, but even if they didn't I don't want to see my (and other peoples') towns in the UK being culturally debased for the price of a bl*ody Mars Bar :mad

SaxonPagan
Thursday, October 29th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Having just re-read all of that I wonder if I (or indeed the main article) have really addressed the main issue here.

Although it's undeniable that immigrants are draining the UK, this pales in comparison to what we're giving away every year to countries like India (1 billion) and Pakistan (400m) and I think our annual "bill" for overseas aid currently stands at 9 billion!!! This is before you even consider our 40m contribution PER DAY to the E.U.

Until we stop squandering such vast sums (I thought there was a recession on?) the financial impact of immigrants within our borders - positive or negative - will not be the main consideration ... unless of course you want to consider the drain on our economy from within PLUS what we give away, in which case you get a quite staggering figure!!!