PDA

View Full Version : Concealed Carry?

beowulf wodenson
Tuesday, November 25th, 2008, 08:44 PM
How many people hereabouts have some sort of concealed carry or "Right To Carry" licenses and actively carry concealed firearms?
(Sorry to all the non-American people on the board-most Western countries have draconian tyrannical gun-ban laws in place).
I believe being a responsible, lawful concealed carrier can go a long ways towards defending one's family,self, and property from crime, other harm, esp. given the nutcases that shoot public places up to get on TV.
For U.S. residents, here's a good site on concealed carry laws across the country:

http://www.carryconcealed.net/

Some states like my own, have the "Castle Doctrine" by law, basically a property, homeowner will not be liable for shooting and/or killing an intruder in self-defense.
My regrets to our cousins in other countries whose governments have forcibly disarmed their citizens, leaving them much less able to defend themselves!

SouthernBoy
Tuesday, November 25th, 2008, 09:41 PM
I will have mine on the third of April in 2011. ;)

Reich des Waldes
Tuesday, November 25th, 2008, 10:22 PM
I have my CCW and my carry is a Sig in the 80s made in West Germany with +p+ hollow points. Oregon has very lenient policies on firearms and conceal and carry as it is a 'will issue' state. I only wish that I could bring my concealed carry into the university or other 'No firearm past this point' institutions. I find it completely insane that the law of the land is to disable law abiding citizens from protecting themselves and others by forcing them to be disarmed. While I am not trying/pretending to be some vigilante, you never know if you will run across someone attempting to commit a violent crime against another or yourself. The police certainly can't be everywhere. In my mind if 1 out of every 2 people in the public (so 50%) were packing, that means a criminal has very poor odds of getting away with anything. I mean you don't see scum holding up NRA meetings or gun shows.

I think Oregon has the Castle doctrine. I forget the difference between the 'Stand your ground' and the castle doctrine. I think the castle doctrine is where you do not have to announce intent to shoot or retreat in your home or privately owned business. As oppose to 'Stand your ground' implies you do not have to announce or retreat anywhere. I could be wrong but in the end, dead men tell no tales:P

Psychonaut
Tuesday, November 25th, 2008, 10:57 PM
I wish I could have one here, but the state of Hawaii does not allow anyone other than cops to carry. Also, the military housing authority doesn't all anyone who lives on post to store firearms in their homes. I thought about moving off post to circumvent this, but that would entail actually living around the natives, which would probably ensure that I'd have to use a gun. It's a good thing that break-ins on post are relatively rare. The one saving grace for me on this god forsaken island is that there is no limit on the length of a single edged knife that you carry, which means, I don't leave home without this:

http://www.usmcstore.com/images/Ka-Bar/Ka-bar.gif

I know it's a poor substitute for a pistol, but I'm sure I could give one of these local methed out thugs a run for his money. :D

Reich des Waldes
Tuesday, November 25th, 2008, 11:22 PM
For non lethal (well, still very lethal just not a firearm) self defense I would recommend an ASP baton and SAP gloves. ASP batons are telescoping metal batons. I believe almost all police departments have replaces their nightsticks with ASP style batons. You can easily parry a knife away, shatter an attacker's knee or hand or give them a disabling blow to the head or neck. SAP gloves on the other hand are standard looking leather gloves that have steel or lead shot in the knuckle parts which compress together on impact. You might as well be striking someone with brass knuckles when you are wearing those.

Demonstration of SAP gloves: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVKWcxvmjlI

Check with your local state laws to make sure they are legal to carry concealed on your person.

Arundel
Wednesday, November 26th, 2008, 12:40 AM
I firmly believe in a person having the right to arm himself. At one time we lived near St. Louis, and was nearly broken into. I was irate, I told my husband I would never be a sitting duck again. I told him if he didn't teach me to shoot a hand gun I would go take lessons. That got him off his duff, and he proceded to teach me. I got so I was pretty good at it. Besides a gun I also got a big aggressive doberman dog. So I thought I would be prepared if it ever happened again. I told my husband I wasn't going to be some poor helpless female sleeping in bed when I hear someone in the house. I would not hesitate a minute to shoot an intruder. My brother who was in the army said aim for the stomach, you have the biggest target. That was what he was taught in the army. So I sleep every night with a 38 revolver in my antique chest of drawers, along with all my feminine things. A favorite columnist of mine said he would rather they were stone cold dead on the floor than himself. I agree.
We all know that the criminals start carrying guns while they are still children, and the older they get the bigger guns they get. So why shouldn't we have one.
If I was still working in St. Louis I would carry one back and forth to work.
This sounds very militant coming from a nice, feminine lady. But I feel strongly about it.

beowulf wodenson
Wednesday, November 26th, 2008, 01:10 AM
I firmly believe in a person having the right to arm himself. At one time we lived near St. Louis, and was nearly broken into. I was irate, I told my husband I would never be a sitting duck again. I told him if he didn't teach me to shoot a hand gun I would go take lessons. That got him off his duff, and he proceded to teach me. I got so I was pretty good at it. Besides a gun I also got a big aggressive doberman dog. So I thought I would be prepared if it ever happened again. I told my husband I wasn't going to be some poor helpless female sleeping in bed when I hear someone in the house. I would not hesitate a minute to shoot an intruder. My brother who was in the army said aim for the stomach, you have the biggest target. That was what he was taught in the army. So I sleep every night with a 38 revolver in my antique chest of drawers, along with all my feminine things. A favorite columnist of mine said he would rather they were stone cold dead on the floor than himself. I agree.
We all know that the criminals start carrying guns while they are still children, and the older they get the bigger guns they get. So why shouldn't we have one.
If I was still working in St. Louis I would carry one back and forth to work.
This sounds very militant coming from a nice, feminine lady. But I feel strongly about it.

I enjoy hearing about a lady ready to defend herself with deadly force if necessary! :thumbup Just like my wife, she knows how to put the lead down range! :D I wish more women carried, it would prevent so many more rapes and other assaults on women. The best kind of rapist is the dead kind.

Psychonaut
Wednesday, November 26th, 2008, 01:12 AM
For non lethal (well, still very lethal just not a firearm) self defense I would recommend an ASP baton

This was actually my first choice for self defense, but alas, these too are illegal to carry in the "great" state of Hawaii. :~(

theTasmanian
Wednesday, November 26th, 2008, 04:39 AM
None as it is illegal to carry(or even to own in most cases) ANY type of weapon for self defence:thumbdown

Morning Wolf
Wednesday, November 26th, 2008, 05:44 AM
I live in a fairly good area that's mostly off campus students and yuppies, and in my rougher hometown my apartment was on the second floor with several locks including a deadbolt and I rarely have business in bad parts of town, so I feel relatively safe.

In California there aren't any restrictions on blades so long as they aren't switch blades. I have a Tai Chi sword (like a Chinese version of a rapier, and used a lot on Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) in my room just in case and want to get a Gladius someday, mostly for intimidation of a robber, and a have wooden Katana in my car. I don't have a gun yet because I'm not settled, and if I join the military I don't know where I'd end up.

But really, all these laws are stupid, as with a little determination and skill, MANY items that can never be banned can be used for self defense as weapons if opportunity, such as shovels, baseball bats, hammers, wrenches, ordinary kitchen knives, wooden sticks, etc. ;)

beowulf wodenson
Sunday, November 30th, 2008, 09:20 PM
None as it is illegal to carry(or even to own in most cases) ANY type of weapon for self defence:thumbdown

All you Aussies that would like to be able to defend yourselves can thank one globalist b$^&%* named Rebecca Peters for the massive gun confiscations and restrictions in place in your country, courtesy of the billionaire globalist jew George Soros who funds such forcible disarmament measures across the world.

Zimobog
Monday, December 1st, 2008, 01:36 AM
No permit required carrying concealed in Alaska. HB 102, signed by the Governor on June 11, 2003 changes Alaska Statute 11.61.220 to allow anyone 21 or older, who may legally carry a firearm to also carry it concealed without having to obtain a special permit.

As far as I am concerned, my state Alaska is once again the greatest place in the world. :thumbup With a great govorner.

When I was younger I saw long guns being carried in the grocery store. People left their trucks running to keep them warm, thus unlocked and didn't want some joker running off with their rifle in the meantime. No one even looks twice at it up here.

Northerner
Monday, December 1st, 2008, 04:13 AM
Utah law is ambiguous as to whether an individual, who can legally own or purchase a gun, may openly carry an unconcealed firearm on their person without a permit (see NEWS ARTICLE (http://www.magnanewspapers.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=270)). If the weapon is concealed, however, they must have a permit. It is relatively easy, so far, to obtain a concealed carry permit in Utah.

I hope to obtain a concealed carry in the near future after I have acquired a smaller weapon. My current handgun is little too large.

Some states like my own, have the "Castle Doctrine" by law, basically a property, homeowner will not be liable for shooting and/or killing an intruder in self-defense.

Utah has a weak Castle Law. According to Utah Code:

76-2-405. Force in defense of habitation.
(1) A person is justified in using force against another when and to the extent that he reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent or terminate the other's unlawful entry into or attack upon his habitation; however, he is justified in the use of force which is intended or likely to cause death or serious bodily injury only if:
(a) the entry is made or attempted in a violent and tumultuous manner, surreptitiously, or by stealth, and he reasonably believes that the entry is attempted or made for the purpose of assaulting or offering personal violence to any person, dwelling, or being in the habitation and he reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent the assault or offer of personal violence; or
(b) he reasonably believes that the entry is made or attempted for the purpose of committing a felony in the habitation and that the force is necessary to prevent the commission of the felony.
(2) The person using force or deadly force in defense of habitation is presumed for the purpose of both civil and criminal cases to have acted reasonably and had a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or serious bodily injury if the entry or attempted entry is unlawful and is made or attempted by use of force, or in a violent and tumultuous manner, or surreptitiously or by stealth, or for the purpose of committing a felony.

Amended by Chapter 252, 1985 General Session

I grew up in Indiana and it has a stronger Castle variant usually referred to as Stand-Your-Ground (with no duty to retreat anywhere). Under Indiana Code:
IC 35-41-3-2
Use of force to protect person or property
Sec. 2. (a) A person is justified in using reasonable force against another person to protect the person or a third person from what the person reasonably believes to be the imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person:
(1) is justified in using deadly force; and
(2) does not have a duty to retreat;
if the person reasonably believes that that force is necessary to prevent serious bodily injury to the person or a third person or the commission of a forcible felony. No person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting the person or a third person by reasonable means necessary.
(b) A person:
(1) is justified in using reasonable force, including deadly force, against another person; and
(2) does not have a duty to retreat;
if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent or terminate the other person's unlawful entry of or attack on the person's dwelling, curtilage, or occupied motor vehicle.

FYI-President-elect Obama is on record as being against such laws.

Odins Law
Thursday, December 4th, 2008, 08:23 PM
I'm not yet 21, so I can't get mine.

Arundel
Sunday, December 14th, 2008, 02:32 AM
I enjoy hearing about a lady ready to defend herself with deadly force if necessary! :thumbup Just like my wife, she knows how to put the lead down range! :D I wish more women carried, it would prevent so many more rapes and other assaults on women. The best kind of rapist is the dead kind.

I don't know what has happened to the modern women that they are (afraid) of guns. I have many friends that are. In times past women always knew how to handle guns, and many times that saved their lives. I have read many old diaries wherein the women could even shoot rifles and shot guns. They need to own a gun now just as bad as they did then.

Grimsteinr
Tuesday, December 16th, 2008, 04:21 PM
I've had a CCW permmit., for over 20 years. I have not always carried, daily. But I do mostly. I always have the option. I like Ruger SP101's or GP100's in .357 magnum.
DSW has had her CCW for over 12 years. She picks out her own handguns.
She carries frequently. Always a 9mm.
We are 2nd Amendment and NRA supporters.

"Carrying a Weapon is a Sacred Trust."
S. McNallel

Arundel
Saturday, January 31st, 2009, 05:47 AM
As far as I am concerned, my state Alaska is once again the greatest place in the world. :thumbup With a great govorner.

When I was younger I saw long guns being carried in the grocery store. People left their trucks running to keep them warm, thus unlocked and didn't want some joker running off with their rifle in the meantime. No one even looks twice at it up here.

Here in Missouri, USA, you see a lot of rifles in racks being carried in the farm people's trucks. I think they are basically used for hunting, as we have little crime in this area, and as I tell my husband, one of the things I like about this county, we are all one color. I'm sure that is the reason we hardly have any crime.