PDA

View Full Version : Gordon Brown to Warn Barack Obama Over Protectionism

Carl
Monday, November 10th, 2008, 04:14 PM
:|

Could this be the sign of some Western division over trade and finance.....Can I imagine Obama being scared ? :D

Gordon Brown to warn Barack Obama over protectionism

Gordon Brown is to warn Barack Obama not to introduce “protectionist” trade policies after the President-Elect moves into the White House.

Telegraph 10 Nov 2008

In a speech, the Prime Minister will urge Mr Obama to form a “pact” with the world and not introduce new tariffs or rules to prevent other countries trading with America. The warning comes amid fears that the Americans will introduce new rules to boost their own industries as the global recession takes hold.

The British Government has also made clear to the incoming administration that the President-Elect should not rely on British troops to support his proposed “surge” against the Taliban in Afghanistan.

Mr Brown will travel to Washington later this week to hold talks with other world leaders over setting up new safeguards for the global financial system. However, it is currently thought unlikely that Mr Obama will attend the talks or meet with Mr Brown. The President-Elect is today visiting the White House for the first time since last week’s election.

Despite his desire to share Mr Obama’s popularity by associating himself with the Democrat’s policies, the Prime Minister is prepared to risk incurring his displeasure by publicly warning America not to adopt protectionist trade policies.

Mr Brown is said to be confident that Mr Obama will prove an advocate of free trade and international cooperation once he assumes the presidency in January.

But he is alarmed enough by the protectionist rhetoric used by the then-challenger during the Democratic primaries, which determined the party’s candidate for the presidency, to risk a public rebuke.

In a speech at the Lord Mayor’s Banquet, the Prime Minister will say (!!!) : “My message is that we must be internationalist not protectionist, interventionist not neutral, progressive not reactive, and forward looking not frozen by events. We can seize the moment and in doing so build a truly global society. :-O

:|

“As America stands at its own dawn of hope, so let that hope be fulfilled through a pact with the wider world to lead and shape the 21st century as the century of a truly global society.”

A Downing Street source said that Mr Brown hoped that, freed from the immediate need to appeal to marginal voters in some states, where concerns about unemployment are a priority, the President-Elect would strike a less protectionist note in future.

Lord Mandelson, the Business Secretary, has also used a speech in London to accuse Democrats in Congress of being “isolationists” who will try to push the president-elect into closing the US economy to trade. :-O:(??

The former European trade commissioner said: “We need to work with Barack Obama to defeat those forces inside America that will try to hold him back. These include isolationists and protectionists and on Capitol Hill these forces are strongly featured in the Democratic Party itself.

He added: “We want America to seize the opportunity of the Obama victory to reclaim its leadership role in the world. But Mr Obama will never succeed if Congress forces the new President into isolationism and protectionism, which forces America to turn in on itself.“

The Prime Minister will also warn Mr Obama that the British military can not bear the burden of committing greater forces to Afghanistan

David Miliband, the Foreign Secretary, confirmed that the UK deployment was unlikely to increase in number from the current level of 8,100.

Asked on the BBC’s Andrew Marr show if asked if Mr Obama’s proposed surge would require an increase in the size of Britain's commitment there, he said: "Not necessarily, no. As the second-largest contributor of troops in Afghanistan, the first thing we say is that we don't want to bear an unfair share of the burden.”

Mr Miliband added that the election of Mr Obama would bring about "fundamental change in America's relationship with the rest of the world, saying the handover of power in Washington would have "big and positive" effects for Britain.

================

European cooperation --- American isolation.... world in a certain disarray. Who thinks what?

Æmeric
Monday, November 10th, 2008, 05:31 PM
"Gordon Brown to warn Barack Obama over protectionism"

I wonder if European leaders will be more "sensitive" in their dealings with Obama, they wouldn't want to their words/actions to be seen a racist. Warning Obama about anything would been seen as racist, Obama won't be shy about using the racecard. Oh it will be fun to see those Obama asskissing Euro-politicos actually having to deal with that uppity mulatto. And I thought of something else: Britain was Kenya's colonial master, might the 1/2 Kenya messiah have personal issues with the British?:P

Psychonaut
Monday, November 10th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Gordon Brown to warn Barack Obama over protectionism

I hope he does enact some protectionist trade policies. We could use a return to at least some of our pre-WWI policies. I know he's horrible on most economic issues, but I hope this is one where he's descent.

Cythraul
Monday, November 10th, 2008, 11:56 PM
We can seize the moment and in doing so build a truly global society.

The grand plan is finally coming to fruition. The New World Order is here. No longer a secret agenda known of only by crackpot conspiracy theorists and the perpetrators themselves, it is now out in the open and looming close. I find this terrifying. :(

Boernician
Tuesday, November 11th, 2008, 12:30 AM
Obama like all presidents will want to put his indivdual stamp on hs tenure. No I do not believe he will use the race card at all. When he was at Harvard he met and mixed with the conservatives. He is a skilled politician, but he will run away from his race rather than run towards it.

The American people do not want an interventionist government thats why he got voted in. It looks to me that after his teenage and early twenty's search for identity he came upon some middle ground, where he uses his race when needed but otherwise go backs to his real roots which are white middle class people from Kansas.

Also we have a strong populist element that is not in favor of internationalsim. He is surrounded with people like Buffet and Volker his economic ideas are pretty tame.The thing a severe recession may force him to take FDR like emergency measures. Mass unemployment will lead to government WPA type of projects.
I have known quite a few black people like him in Education black on the outside but not sharing any values or sense of real identity with their "blackness" Many people transcend thiei race and some even become virulent apostates as well.

SwordOfTheVistula
Tuesday, November 11th, 2008, 06:19 AM
I don't think he ever intended to implement such policies, he only suggested them in order to win lower class white voters in states in the midwest where manufacturing is still done (Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania)

Carl
Tuesday, November 11th, 2008, 06:41 PM
But will he actually implement some degree of protectionism - I cant help thinking it might be in America's best interests right now ... but its it is difficult. Chinese investment seems to be keeping things afloat - or are we misled on this one?

As for Europe - it needs to get more real :D

Æmeric
Tuesday, November 11th, 2008, 07:18 PM
What America needs - and no one (politico) has yet propose - is a VAT. Every other Western economic power has VAT, it is not protectionism. VAT is rebated on exports & slapped on imports (this info is for Americans who probably are unaware of VAT). Members of the EU are required to have minimum VAT of 15%. If the US rebated 15% of the value on all exports & tax all imports at 15%, we wouldn't have a trade deficit & our manufacturing base would be in much better shape as offshoring wouldn't be as profitable. And we could substantially lower the corporate & personal income tax rates.

Renwein
Tuesday, November 11th, 2008, 07:58 PM
isn't this darkly ironic coming from the Labour prime minister, what used to be the party for the english working man? internationalism certainly did proud for that no-longer existant archetype...

SwordOfTheVistula
Wednesday, November 12th, 2008, 05:13 AM
What America needs - and no one (politico) has yet propose - is a VAT. Every other Western economic power has VAT, it is not protectionism. VAT is rebated on exports & slapped on imports (this info is for Americans who probably are unaware of VAT). Members of the EU are required to have minimum VAT of 15%. If the US rebated 15% of the value on all exports & tax all imports at 15%, we wouldn't have a trade deficit & our manufacturing base would be in much better shape as offshoring wouldn't be as profitable. And we could substantially lower the corporate & personal income tax rates.

Wouldn't that be a lot more difficult to administer and enforce? Most people only have 1 or 2 employers in a given year, but make purchases from a large number of places.

Æmeric
Wednesday, November 12th, 2008, 03:03 PM
No. VAT would be included in the purchase of raw materials &/or services & in the sale of services/products. VAT (value added tax) would be taxed on the difference between the purchase of outside goods & service versus the sale price of that companies goods or service - the value added to the product. It would be a flat tax & would be a lot simpler to compute then income tax. A steel company for example would be taxed on the price of their steel minus what they spent on iron ore, coke, lime, energy etc... in effect on the value the steel company contributed to the finished product. And because VAT is calculated at every step of production it would not be subjected to the same temptation of tax evasion as a national sale tax, where the tax would be slapped on at the retail level.