PDA

View Full Version : Reviving old threads

Gorm the Old
Tuesday, April 1st, 2008, 12:31 AM
If there seems to be renewed interest in the subject, I see no harm in reviving an old thread for further discussion. However, if this is to be done, I think that there ought to be some way of dating the posts so that readers can see at a glance that this represents the poster's views as of the date of the post,e.g. January 12, 2005, not necessarily his/her present view.

Some of us are stubborn old coots who never change our minds. Others are more amenable to persuasion.

Gagnraad
Tuesday, April 1st, 2008, 12:53 AM
It is a good idea, and I will discuss this with the rest of staff. First of all, we must figure if there even is a feature such as that.

As for the reason why you want this feature is more questionable. For people can change their opinions, as you say, but the old discussion still remains the same, and whether or not the subscribing member(s) have changed their minds about that subject, doesn't matter to the member that is interested in that certain thread.

But the feature is a good idea, nonetheless, although a bit unnecessary except to those who thinks the dates certain posts are posted are important.

Gorm the Old
Wednesday, April 9th, 2008, 12:57 AM
If I have changed my position on an issue, I don't want people reading an old post in a revived thread thinking that that's where I stand on that issue now.
Of course, I could post a disclaimer of my former opinion, and, occasionally, I have done just that, but usually while the thread was still running the first time.

Blood_Axis
Wednesday, April 9th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Well, there's no restriction about reviving old threads if the interest is renewed, but I don't see how the interest should be focused on how the opinions of individual members have changed over the years, but rather how the collective outlook of the board has been changing.
Besides, many of the members who were participating, let's say, in 2005, are not here anymore.

Gagnraad
Wednesday, April 9th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Besides, many of the members who were participating, let's say, in 2005, are not here anymore.
:eek
I am still here! :~(

:D

But you are right, if the interest is there, I see no problem about renewing old threads. In fact, I encourage people to discuss old threads! But if there are no collective interest in discussing it, why bother?

It's all up to you guys and ladies. But to specifically date every post seems kind of unnecessary.