PDA

View Full Version : Finger Length determined by Testosterone Exposure In Utero

ladybright
Friday, January 25th, 2008, 01:29 AM
I find it interesting how people have different hands. I know that people used to judge hand and body types as as well as head shape(Physiogamy). I forget the terms for hands etc.

Recently, scientists in North America and Europe have looked to the relative lengths of index and ring fingers for clues about a variety of characteristics, including musical ability, athletic prowess and, in a study just released, osteoarthritis risk.

The researchers believe that the difference between the two fingers' lengths signifies the level of testosterone exposure in the womb. The longer the ring finger compared to the index finger, the thinking goes, the higher the exposure.
Since 1998, Manning has published studies suggesting that male symphony orchestra musicians have lower finger ratios than less-musical men, that heterosexual men have lower ratios than homosexual men and that people with lower ratios tend to do better on certain tests of spatial ability.

full article (http://news.aol.com/story/_a/could-finger-lengths-point-to-talents/20080124091309990001)

mischak
Friday, January 25th, 2008, 02:00 AM
I remember learning about this in middle school and my fingers correlated with which ever one is believed to be caused by higher testosterone.:eek:

Now if I look at my fingers my ring finger is slightly longer than index, but palm up the index finger looks slighly longer. :o

Gorm the Old
Friday, January 25th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I have just made a bizarre discovery. I had never noticed it before, but the ratio is noticeably different in my two hands. In my left hand, the ring finger is much longer than the index finger. In the right hand, they are nearly equal. Neither hand has ever been injured in any way that would change the length of either finger. Now, what does THAT mean ? :doh

enslaved1896
Sunday, January 27th, 2008, 10:22 AM
I have just made a bizarre discovery. I had never noticed it before, but the ratio is noticeably different in my two hands. In my left hand, the ring finger is much longer than the index finger. In the right hand, they are nearly equal. Neither hand has ever been injured in any way that would change the length of either finger. Now, what does THAT mean ? :doh

Have you had issues with arthritis in either hand of yours?

Gorm the Old
Monday, January 28th, 2008, 12:32 AM
Yes. I have arthritis in the index finger of the right hand.

Gagnraad
Monday, January 28th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Ok, I'm not sure exactly what finger the index-finger is, but I presume it's the F*ck You-finger? :D

If it is, there's like, 4millimeters between my ringfinger and that finger. So what does that mean?

Blood_Axis
Monday, January 28th, 2008, 11:03 AM
I am pretty sure that the index finger is the second one, the one you point with. :P

http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/07/38/22573807.jpg

Galloglaich
Thursday, January 31st, 2008, 01:37 AM
I have an index of about .925. I am a well known-local musician, I am heterosexual, and I tend to do very well on spatial tests. So far no sign of arthritis, though.

Catterick
Friday, June 10th, 2016, 01:02 PM
Someone recently reviewed the evidence for digit ratios having diagnostic usefulness. The only certain correlation is with inborn sexual orientation, that is homosexual men have female digit ratios matching their mating preferences and certain behaviours.

Shadow
Friday, June 10th, 2016, 09:45 PM
OK, so in an alternate history game where Hitler won the war and we are in a NS state, which finger gets artificially shortened if you are a transsexual?

Catterick
Friday, June 10th, 2016, 10:27 PM
OK, so in an alternate history game where Hitler won the war and we are in a NS state, which finger gets artificially shortened if you are a transsexual?

Someone actually blogged about this the other day, weirdly enough. Not surprisingly given that modern sex changes didn't exist till the mid to late 1950s, the Nazis had no strong views on the subject though they were granted hormone replacements and legal rights on medical and eugenic grounds as long as they weren't doing it for sexual reasons.

https://valkyricvisionary.wordpress.com/2016/03/26/transsexuality-in-the-third-reich/

Nazi eugenics wasn't as harsh as people think, if someone could contribute to Germany they were accepted (though, where appropriate, with sterilisation). I've seen pictures of pathological dwarves supporting the German army, according to so-called history books they were being euthanised at the time. ;)