PDA

View Full Version : EVP - Electronic Voice Phenomena

Gagnraad
Tuesday, September 11th, 2007, 12:35 AM
Have any of you happened to witness this phenomenon? Do you know anything about it? Do you even believe it is true?

I have actually witnessed EVP.
Me and my girlfriend were watching a show, when suddenly the tv came out of focus, so to speak, and when everything seems like a blizzard, if you know what I mean? (Don't know how to phrase it in english)
Anyways, we then saw a face in the tv, and a scream and someone saying "Hjelp... Hjelp..." which means "Help... Help...". Freaked me out, and made me investigate a bit, and I found out about EVP.

For those of you who don't know what it is, I'll copy some info from Wikipedia:

Electronic voice phenomena (EVP) are speech or speech-like sounds heard on electronic devices, but not heard in the environment at the time they are recorded. They are believed by some to be of paranormal origin. The term was coined by publishing company Colin Smythe Ltd in the early 1970s.[1] Previously the term “Raudive Voices” was used, after Dr. Konstantin Raudive whose 1970 book Breakthrough brought the subject to a wider public audience. [2][3]

Hypotheses explaining EVP as normal audio effects include ordinary noise mistaken as voices, flaws in the recording devices which produce voice-like sounds, and radio frequency contamination. Paranormal hypotheses include psychic echoes from the past, psychokinesis unconsciously produced by living people, thoughts of spirits, and in rare instances, thoughts of aliens or nature spirits. EVP are a subset of instrumental transcommunication.

EVP are typically short, usually the length of a word or short phrase. Paranormal investigators use EVP as a tool in haunting investigations, and contacting the souls of loved ones. The basis for these uses are interpretive and not necessarily supported by science. Most investigations of EVP have been conducted by people with few academic credentials, and the scientific literature regarding EVP is very sparse.

Anyways, this occurence made me believe in life after death, and that oblivion is not an option. Well, atleast it gave me more hope that oblivion is not what awaits us, yet...