PDA

View Full Version : Skadi and what She means to you

enslaved1896
Tuesday, May 22nd, 2007, 06:41 AM
Strength, freedom, running wild in the woods at night underneath the stars, revenge, shadows, undying wild bond with the earth.

Your views on her? She is a diety that not much is known about, yet I feel quite a strong connection when I read about her, as well as others opinions on her.

Yngve
Tuesday, May 22nd, 2007, 07:53 AM
I think she represents freedom.

klokkwerx
Tuesday, May 22nd, 2007, 05:04 PM
Strength, freedom, running wild in the woods at night underneath the stars, revenge, shadows, undying wild bond with the earth.
She is definately all that, and also she radiates independence.

http://www.timelessmyths.com/norse/gallery/skadi.jpg

freya3
Wednesday, May 23rd, 2007, 06:29 PM
I recently read an interesting story about her and her marriage to Njord. The marriage was arranged after the Gods killed her father. She chose her husband by their feet only. She was in love w/Balder, but chose Njord, the God of the seafarers. She could not live on the water where he was from, and he could not live in the mountains where she was from, so after 9 days, the marriage ended. She is a strong-willed, independant woman in my opinion and I am all for that :)

Yngve
Wednesday, May 23rd, 2007, 07:21 PM
I recently read an interesting story about her and her marriage to Njord. The marriage was arranged after the Gods killed her father. She chose her husband by their feet only. She was in love w/Balder, but chose Njord, the God of the seafarers. She could not live on the water where he was from, and he could not live in the mountains where she was from, so after 9 days, the marriage ended. She is a strong-willed, independant woman in my opinion and I am all for that :)

Yes this is true.

One of the reasons why I admire Skadi. Hopefully one day I can marry a girl like that. :D

Folkist
Wednesday, May 23rd, 2007, 07:59 PM
A lot of the Vanic myths I know of are seasonal in one way or another. In "Myths Of The Norsemen", H.A. Guerber identifies Njord and Skadi as personifications of summer and winter respectively. It makes sense that Skadi be a goddess of winter when Njord is seen as a god of summer. Njord is an agricultural deity in addition to a nautical one. Besides her seasonal apects, I see Skadi as a goddess of mountains and survival.

klokkwerx
Thursday, May 24th, 2007, 05:31 PM
A lot of the Vanic myths I know of are seasonal in one way or another. In "Myths Of The Norsemen", H.A. Guerber identifies Njord and Skadi as personifications of summer and winter respectively. It makes sense that Skadi be a goddess of winter when Njord is seen as a god of summer. Njord is an agricultural deity in addition to a nautical one. Besides her seasonal apects, I see Skadi as a goddess of mountains and survival.
This aspect is an important one and we shouldnt forget that. I feel that some Heathens only see the Gods in a Human form!

enslaved1896
Thursday, May 24th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Yes this is true.

One of the reasons why I admire Skadi. Hopefully one day I can marry a girl like that. :D

Totally seconded, my man. :D

I have been looking for someone like the snowy one for months..... to no avail.

Ulf
Thursday, May 24th, 2007, 08:58 PM
I don't know what Skadi means to me. Although I feel it should be the other way around. What do I mean to her? Am I someone whom she would look favorably upon or with disdain?

Kith of woden
Thursday, May 24th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Altough Skadi was in love with Baldur, she chose Njord and was true to her sworn oath. The mythical storys always point to a primal truth as opposed to a literal one. My interpretation of this Myth is that it portrays the strong, ethical ,independant and noble virtues of the female spirit. That she wanted baldur but chose Njord and was true to her oath is the lesson I learn from her.The breaking of an oath was detrimental to our ancestors.

This myth also reminds me that Skadi was a Jotun and njord was a god of the Vanir. That they never had a successfull marriage was because they were of different "races" IMHO. Also it teaches that you cant judge a book by its cover and if you choose a partner on looks alone then it could lead to unhappiness.

Our myths are an expression of a primal truth. They are imbued with moral fibre that every individual can take something from. There is no wrong interpretation in that respect. Waes Hael!

freya3
Friday, May 25th, 2007, 01:50 AM
Altough Skadi was in love with Baldur, she chose Njord and was true to her sworn oath. The mythical storys always point to a primal truth as opposed to a literal one. My interpretation of this Myth is that it portrays the strong, ethical ,independant and noble virtues of the female spirit. That she wanted baldur but chose Njord and was true to her oath is the lesson I learn from her.The breaking of an oath was detrimental to our ancestors.

This myth also reminds me that Skadi was a Jotun and njord was a god of the Vanir. That they never had a successfull marriage was because they were of different "races" IMHO. Also it teaches that you cant judge a book by its cover and if you choose a partner on looks alone then it could lead to unhappiness.

Our myths are an expression of a primal truth. They are imbued with moral fibre that every individual can take something from. There is no wrong interpretation in that respect. Waes Hael!

Very interesting interpretation! I didn't think of it in that respect, but I definitely see it..thanks!