PDA

View Full Version : Ullr and You?

enslaved1896
Saturday, March 3rd, 2007, 08:17 PM
What does the god Ullr mean to you, per se?

What do you think he stands for/represents?

I have heard him called god of the woodlands, winter, bowhunting, and even magic.

So, what is your take on him?

Ælfhere
Saturday, March 3rd, 2007, 08:40 PM
He's been in my mind quite often lately, given the weather around here. In addition to what lore says about Ullr as a winter god, I consider him a god of loners. Words like: wastland, wilderness, travelling, wandering, hunting, outcasts, and exiles also come to mind.

Gagnraad
Sunday, March 4th, 2007, 05:17 AM
I have heard him called god of the woodlands, winter, bowhunting, and even magic.
Well, Norse and Celtic mythology aren't exactly the same, because in Norn mythology, he isn't said to be a "cunning wizard", which Celtic mythology does.

But I guess no one care about the difference?

enslaved1896
Sunday, March 4th, 2007, 06:15 AM
Well, Norse and Celtic mythology aren't exactly the same, because in Norn mythology, he isn't said to be a "cunning wizard", which Celtic mythology does.

But I guess no one care about the difference?

As far as I know, Ullr is not even remotely related to Celtic mythology in the slightest.

He is known as Ollerus in Saxo's stuff, and he is supposedly wizard-like, much like Allfather.

He also dethrones Odin in Saxo's story as well..... interesting stuff indeed.

But yeah, what is your take on him, Gagnraad?

Kith of woden
Sunday, March 4th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Ullr represents all that is good during the winter months. A lot of people tend to dislike the winter months, and for our ancestors it certainly was a struggle for survival. I do think though that the freezing weather killed/kills a lot of diseases off and perishible food would last longer(though it would be more scarce admittedly). The Winter months are an inevitable part of our lives here on midgard, i think we dont socialize as much as we do during the other seasons. When im on my own in winter or appreciate the beauty that nature gives to us during that period when all is asleep, and the cycle of nature is renewing itself, well thats when i feel a certain connection to ullr. I recommend going into the woods or to a place in nature that you enjoy and like to visit in winter and ask Ullr for some guidance.Waes Hael!!

Gagnraad
Sunday, March 4th, 2007, 05:43 PM
As far as I know, Ullr is not even remotely related to Celtic mythology in the slightest.

He is known as Ollerus in Saxo's stuff, and he is supposedly wizard-like, much like Allfather.

He also dethrones Odin in Saxo's story as well..... interesting stuff indeed.

But yeah, what is your take on him, Gagnraad?
Sorry, my bad, I meant Saxon instead of Celtic.

My take on him? Well, at school, I studied something called JFF, which means Jakt, Fiske og Friluftsliv(Which bluntly translated mean something like: Hunt, fishing and outdoor-living, or something) Therefore, I fealt it rather natural to give him a thought or two whenever my class and I went into the wilderness.

And as Torquil said: "I consider him a god of loners.", I do too, therefore I often think about him, as I am, in fact, a loner.

And besides, I'm not that much into worshipping of Gods. I worship Nature.

Kith of woden
Sunday, March 4th, 2007, 05:58 PM
And besides, I'm not that much into worshipping of Gods. I worship Nature.

As you say so yourself my friend there probably is no right way.But i was just thinking that if you have an open mind you might like to connect to ullr in the way i described that i do. Im not preaching but if you take something out of your expierience then that would make me happy, if not then you havent lost anything. Waes Hael Gagnrad!!

Ælfhere
Sunday, March 4th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Sorry, my bad, I meant Saxon instead of Celtic.

True, there is no mention of Ullr in what remains of Saxon lore. Among ASH reconstructionists however he is usually called Wuldor, meaning "glory".

Below is a prayer to Ullr from "Exporing the Northern Tradition" by Galina Krasskova. In that book she offers a lot of her own UPGs.

Cold, You are called, and harsh.
God of barren, forgotten places-
remote, unapproachable, fierce as a wolf on the hunt.
But I have not found You thus.
I have felt Your gift of quiet strength and comfort many times.
I think that You are God of all forgotten creatures, those neglected souls bereft of love.
You teach us to sing a song of power and beauty in the lonely wasteland of our scarred and broken hearts.
You are Father to all those children called ugly, ignorant, or wrong.
All little creatures in need of love are welcome in Your hall.
No pain is too great for You to succor, no agony too great for You to bear.
Do You weep, in the solitude of Your ice-scaped dwelling, as You seek those lost and bleeding souls, their number sadly beyond measure?
No one thinks to go to You for healing, yet that is the gift You bring,
God of all orphaned hearts.
All who hear the song of the ice-blessed darkness may count themselves blessed by its sweetness.
I hail You, Son of Sif, Mighty Ullr, Glorious God.

Grimsteinr
Thursday, March 15th, 2007, 01:06 PM
In my Kindred, we use to do an Uller/Skadhi Blot, about the 1st weekend of December, in honor of the Coming of Winter, and the Hunting Seasons.
But, DSW, as Gythja, determined that I was overdoing it with Blots/Summals, about 15 times a year. So I was asked to cut back a little.
I think we do about 11 Blots/Summals now. And Uller/Skadhi Blot got cut out of the Program.
I still do a personal Uller/Skadhi Blot, with DSW, my Gythja, in the 1st week of December. But, we don't bring in the Kindred for it.
And, some of my Kinsmen do it as a personal Blot, as well.

We frequently have snow and/or ice on the ground at that time, along with colder temperatures. So, it is a good time for it.
When it is just the 2 of us, instead of going out on the Hill, we do the Blot, on our back deck. We have a little table, we use there, with an oil lantern.

We do a few of the personal Blots that way, just the 2 of us, paying Homage to the Gods.
Frith to your House.

arthor
Sunday, April 27th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Cyfarchion

The first god I related to when I came home to midgard after my time in the wilderness was Ullr. I love winter, yew, archery and the idea that he is not so "popular" as some. I have since come to love all the Vanir and have great affection for Skadi. Ullr will remain with me for all the reasons that many of you give. I also have a hammer pendant for Thor and a raven head pendant for the Allfather.
Apart from the rune Eihwas carved into yew, I can't think of any symbol any more fitting symbol for him. Any suggestions??

wasshael