PDA

View Full Version : Jewish Food

Evolved
Wednesday, April 28th, 2004, 09:58 AM
I admit I have now tried some Jewish foods. :P

I looked in the bargain bin of my local supermarket and found some Maneschewitz Matzo. Originally $2.99, on sale (due to lack of a Jewish population here) for $1.00. I got the "Everything Matzo" which has garlic flavor, onion flavor, poppyseeds and salt, like an 'Everything bagel.' Its a big sheet of unleavened cracker-thin bread. It is not kosher for passover (because of the flavorings - only plain matzo is for passover use), but is of course kosher for the rest of the year. It is really too dry (and despite the flavorings) bland to eat by itself. So I put cream cheese or spicy mustard (:-O!?) on it. And I crumble it into my soup. I think it is a pretty good 'cracker' but I would not pay full price for it. I have a recipe for matzo bread, so I could probably alter the recipe to include these flavorings and make this kind. I also want to try and bake some Challa bread (golden egg bread) because the picture of it in my Betty Crocker cookbook looks so tempting. :D

I also bought some instant Matzo ball soup a few weeks ago, but I give it only one thumb up. I like the broth (it tastes remarkably similar to won ton soup), but the matzo balls were not good, too mooshy and they fell apart really easily.

I saw some gefilte fish and I will not be trying that anytime soon..

Anyone else have a Kosher culinary experience? :P

Krampus
Wednesday, April 28th, 2004, 02:00 PM
When I was in grade school the fundamentalist church my parents forced me to attend put on a ceder dinner. They had matzo bread which looked like burnt saltines to me, they had this other stuff, which was chopped apples with nuts, a boiled egg and some horseradish. Oh they also served grape juice so no Mogan David, which was a bummer. I don't recall the other items. The funny part was they didn't use lamb chops, but used pork chops in it's place probably because lamb was so expensive. So I guess it wasn't that Kosher.

Newgrange
Thursday, April 29th, 2004, 05:51 AM
When I was a kid I would eat a knish whenever I went to Mets games at Shea Stadium, Have you ever heard of the expression 'lead sinker '.

knish
n : (Russian Jewish) baked or fried turnover filled with potato or meat or cheese; often eaten as a snack

Question for Lg :don't Muslims follow the same culinary rules as Jews, and even look for food items marked kosher ?

Evolved
Thursday, April 29th, 2004, 07:14 AM
The only thing Jewish and Islamic dietary laws have in common are the avoidance of pork, and parts of the ritual of slaughter. Also in both religions a short prayer is pronounced over any piece of food before eating. Christians are supposed to do this too, but it seems to have fallen 'out of fashion' with most people.

--

Islamic law: Muslims cannot eat red meat unless the name of Allah (or God) is pronounced over the animal while being slaughtered (the throat is cut in a certain way), and this can only be done by either a Muslim, Christian or Jew (so, yeah a Muslim can go to a kosher butcher shop - or a Christian butcher who ritually slaughters according to the Old Testament but I've personally never heard of one).

Jewish laws: Similar to above, but this must be done only by a Jew.

The Islamic method of slaughter has been scientifically proven (http://www.islamonline.net/English/Science/2003/02/article01.shtml) to not be painful to the animal. I don't really know the specifics of it, other than a clean cut must be made and all the blood allowed to drain out (animal blood is forbidden). Prophet Muhammed :saw said: "God calls for mercy in everything, so be merciful when you kill and when you slaughter: sharpen your blade to relieve it's pain." Orthodox Christians also have a ritual slaughter identical in nature to the Jewish and Islamic slaughter. Blood is forbidden to Christians as well. I do not believe Muslims could eat meat slaughtered by an Orthodox Christian for the simple fact that their slaughter is "in the name of the Holy Trinity," which to a Muslim would be a form of polytheism. Many Orthodox Christians are vegetarians, because Adam (peace be upon him) and Eve (may Allah be pleased with her) only ate vegetables.

--

Islamic law: Any variety of seafood can be consumed and no ritual is needed beyond a short prayer before eating, as with all food.

Jewish law: Shellfish are forbidden to Jews.

--

Islamic law: Alcohol and gambling are forbidden always.

Jewish law: Alcohol is allowed, gambling is allowed only on Chanukkah.

Jews have a rule against mixing meat and dairy. Very pious Jews will maintain 2 sets of cooking and eating utensils so that the 2 will never meet even in microscopic form! Both Jews and Muslims are forbidden to even touch any part of a pig (which is why you often see 'kosher' symbols on things like washing powder, shampoo, dog food, etc, because these things often contain animal by-product ingredients). This is also why some Muslim women (usually the ones who wear a full face cover or niqab) wear gloves when out shopping, even though it is not required. There are other materials forbidden to Muslims, such as reptile skin. I'm not sure if this is true of Jews.

There is no harm in buying products with the kosher symbol on it. It is not part of a Jewish conspiracy. I would avoid buying things from companies known to be supporters of Israel, and not every company with a kosher certification is on that list. I find it all really interesting. When I was on a plane going from New York to Budapest there were a lot of kosher meals being served, and I happened to pick up a scrap of paper that was included with the kosher meal of the Rabbi sitting behind me. It had all kinds of very specific kosher designations for each item that I had never heard of. One odd one (forget the Hebrew word) is to designate that a Jew was involved in the manufacturing process of a meatless packaged or prepared food. Very weird.

Not all Jews or Muslims follow these laws, of course.

salamander
Monday, May 10th, 2004, 03:50 AM
I admit I have now tried some Jewish foods. :P

I looked in the bargain bin of my local supermarket and found some Maneschewitz Matzo. Originally $2.99, on sale (due to lack of a Jewish population here) for $1.00. I got the "Everything Matzo" which has garlic flavor, onion flavor, poppyseeds and salt, like an 'Everything bagel.' Its a big sheet of unleavened cracker-thin bread. It is not kosher for passover (because of the flavorings - only plain matzo is for passover use), but is of course kosher for the rest of the year. It is really too dry (and despite the flavorings) bland to eat by itself. So I put cream cheese or spicy mustard (:-O!?) on it. And I crumble it into my soup. I think it is a pretty good 'cracker' but I would not pay full price for it. I have a recipe for matzo bread, so I could probably alter the recipe to include these flavorings and make this kind. I also want to try and bake some Challa bread (golden egg bread) because the picture of it in my Betty Crocker cookbook looks so tempting. :D

I am a vegetarian. I do make matzo balls for my spaghetti. Also, sometime i make matzo loaf, (not bread). Instad meat loaf.

I did used to make challa. with my own, home grow saffron. delicious. You should try.

I also bought some instant Matzo ball soup a few weeks ago, but I give it only one thumb up. I like the broth (it tastes remarkably similar to won ton soup), but the matzo balls were not good, too mooshy and they fell apart really easily.

I saw some gefilte fish and I will not be trying that anytime soon..

Anyone else have a Kosher culinary experience? :P

salamander
Monday, May 10th, 2004, 03:55 AM
If you boycut jewish product, you mite like to know that anything is marked "parevi" on the package, is a jewish international company.

Ewergrin
Monday, May 10th, 2004, 04:08 AM
The grocery store I shop at has a large Kosher Foods section. Every time I frequent the place, I always make sure to pay attention to the morons who hover in that isle. Always the most retarded folks in the supermarket. I have noticed more often than not, interracial couples, lesbians and downright freaks sifting through the jars of gefilte fish and matzo meal boxes. Right next to the Kosher food isle is the International Food isle, which contains not one single Northern European product. The closest thing to it is to make your way down the "canned meats" section, several isles over, where one can find assorted fish from Norway in a can, right next to the Spam.

Evolved
Monday, May 10th, 2004, 04:20 AM
:lol Sounds a lot like the grocery store here. They put the degenerate hippy foods right next to the Jewish foods. :P

salamander
Tuesday, May 11th, 2004, 01:20 AM
:lol Sounds a lot like the grocery store here. They put the degenerate hippy foods right next to the Jewish foods. :P

:D :D :D :D :D

Mistress Klaus
Tuesday, May 11th, 2004, 10:33 AM
:| Never have and never will either. Call my palate primitive, but honestly I can't stand foreign crap. Good old Roast Beef & Yorkshire pudding for me. :D Sauerkraut is about as foreign as I get..ha ha ;)

Siegfried
Tuesday, May 11th, 2004, 10:38 AM
If you boycut jewish product, you mite like to know that anything is marked "parevi" on the package, is a jewish international company.

The barcodes of products made in Israel begin with 729 - just so you know :)

Gesta Bellica
Tuesday, May 11th, 2004, 10:42 AM
never seen any of those products in Italian supermarkets..quite understandable as, according to the last Census, there are 30.000 Jews in Italy over a population of 58 Millions.

Turificator
Tuesday, May 11th, 2004, 11:10 AM
Yeah, luckily Jews have not all that influence in Italy.

I really like the Jewish Ghetto in Venice, which is also the oldest in the world. There's this little pastry shop there which sells interesting 'kosher' bread. It's fun to walk around there once in a while, although the Zionist pigs do tend to piss me off after a while (a few years ago agressively Zionist fundamentalist kikes from the US opened a ridiculously expensive kosher restaurant in the ghetto and now you have all these creeps in the area...).

salamander
Tuesday, May 11th, 2004, 04:29 PM
The barcodes of products made in Israel begin with 729 - just so you know :)

Thanks Augustus, but i don`t buy any jewish products. As metter and fact, I don`t buy much. I seldom go to the store, I try to live of my land and been selfsufficient.

salamander
Tuesday, May 11th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Gesta Bellica,

<<<never seen any of those products in Italian supermarkets..quite understandable as, according to the last Census, there are 30.000 Jews in Italy over a population of 58 Millions.>>>

I don`t know were you got this statistics about jewish population in Italy.

There`s many jews in Italy. Just in roma there must be over 400.000. they have their own quarters, all sealed around, with guards, to see who gets in or out.

They control many things in Italy. Berluscone wife is jewish...... And Berlusconi himself has his business with jews. One of his friend used to be Robert Maxwell, the con-man in England of few years back.

The Zionist control Berluscone.

As for jewish products: if you check a circle in package with the word parevi, you will find in many packaging.

Gesta Bellica
Tuesday, May 11th, 2004, 06:08 PM
Gesta Bellica,

<<<never seen any of those products in Italian supermarkets..quite understandable as, according to the last Census, there are 30.000 Jews in Italy over a population of 58 Millions.>>>

I don`t know were you got this statistics about jewish population in Italy.

There`s many jews in Italy. Just in roma there must be over 400.000. they have their own quarters, all sealed around, with guards, to see who gets in or out.

They control many things in Italy. Berluscone wife is jewish...... And Berlusconi himself has his business with jews. One of his friend used to be Robert Maxwell, the con-man in England of few years back.

The Zionist control Berluscone.

As for jewish products: if you check a circle in package with the word parevi, you will find in many packaging.

LOL are u kidding?
Rome has a population of 3 million with the suburban areas and 400.000 would be jews? According to you if we add the imigrants there's barely an Itaslian in Rome :D
And the Ghetto are not sealed or guarded at all :D that was in the middle age ;)

The 30.000 is a number published by many Jewish centers, i have find it in many jewish sites that were regarding the Holocau$t.
It has been written thered that the Jews were 60.000 before the war and that now they ar ehald that number due to emigrations in places where the jews are treated "in a better way" reportedly in USA and UK...and of course Israel

Surely Berlusconi is serving the jews, but this can be applied to all the prime minister in Europe unfortunately..
i don't know about his wife..