PDA

View Full Version : Aikido/Ki Principles and Development

Tomas.
Monday, December 25th, 2006, 09:24 PM
This in some respects, should be in the martial arts section, but it's more to do with the spiritual so I decided to place it here. Anyway...

I have been practicing aikido for about 10 months now and have fairly recently started to look into the spiritual component of it and have started energy development. Despite the fact that the practices are of Eastern origin, my personal opinion is that they can be definitely done without conflicting with our worldview as the originator (Morihei Ueshiba) intended aikido to be for all people, regardless of race.

I have, through reading and some practice, found that many of the principles that underlie the art are beneficial (i.e. principles such as remaning calm at all times and maintaining a positive outlook, utilising one's vital energy, life or Odic force to restrain attackers and refine one's body).

Anyway, to cut to the chase. I was wondering what other people think. Has anyone else had any experience with aikido and it's principles? And most of all, do you think these practices conflict with the European spirit?

klokkwerx
Wednesday, December 27th, 2006, 01:13 AM
This in some respects, should be in the martial arts section, but it's more to do with the spiritual so I decided to place it here. Anyway...

I have been practicing aikido for about 10 months now and have fairly recently started to look into the spiritual component of it and have started energy development. Despite the fact that the practices are of Eastern origin, my personal opinion is that they can be definitely done without conflicting with our worldview as the originator (Morihei Ueshiba) intended aikido to be for all people, regardless of race.

I have, through reading and some practice, found that many of the principles that underlie the art are beneficial (i.e. principles such as remaning calm at all times and maintaining a positive outlook, utilising one's vital energy, life or Odic force to restrain attackers and refine one's body).

Anyway, to cut to the chase. I was wondering what other people think. Has anyone else had any experience with aikido and it's principles? And most of all, do you think these practices conflict with the European spirit?

IMO, yes it does contflict with the Folkish Heathen "European spirit", it has nothing to do with our spiritual or traditional way. Here are some links so you may look into martial arts that come from our cultures:
STAV - http://www.iceandfire.us/
GLIMA - http://www.glima.is/pages.asp?lysing=english
ARMA - http://www.thearma.org/
THE BOARīS TOOTH - http://www.boarstooth.org/

Tomas.
Wednesday, December 27th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Ahhh, I'd love to study Stav. However, there are no places in my area where I could learn. Can some of the practices be learnt from books? (rune stances, for instance). I guess I'll have to stick with aikido for now, which is better than nothing.

klokkwerx
Wednesday, December 27th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Ahhh, I'd love to study Stav. However, there are no places in my area where I could learn. Can some of the practices be learnt from books? (rune stances, for instance). I guess I'll have to stick with aikido for now, which is better than nothing.
What it sounds like is that you crave fellowship in a spiritual art and there is nothing wrong feeling like that, but in our Faith and culture we have a thing that is called "Einheri" (Einherjar) a lone warrior in some definitions). In these times we Heathens my lack fellowship so we have to make up for that by digging deeper in our Faith and culture to find what works for the loner. The important thing is keeping track within our Folkish Heathen Faith and culture to ensure a healthy Folk and Warriors!

klokkwerx
Wednesday, December 27th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Also check out this thread that has been posted on this forum befrore:
http://www.blutundboden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3459&highlight=ulfhednar

Tomas.
Thursday, December 28th, 2006, 09:42 AM
What it sounds like is that you crave fellowship in a spiritual art and there is nothing wrong feeling like that, but in our Faith and culture we have a thing that is called "Einheri" (Einherjar) a lone warrior in some definitions). In these times we Heathens my lack fellowship so we have to make up for that by digging deeper in our Faith and culture to find what works for the loner. The important thing is keeping track within our Folkish Heathen Faith and culture to ensure a healthy Folk and Warriors!

Yes, you've hit the nail on the head, I would love to practice a spiritual martial art, close to my heritage and yes, many of us do lack fellowship in the atheistic modern world. It's definitely quite tough seeing how apart from one's culture people are and very difficult to associate with those kind of people that seem to be the majority. Hopefully it will change for the better one day :).

klokkwerx
Friday, December 29th, 2006, 04:17 AM
Yes, you've hit the nail on the head, I would love to practice a spiritual martial art, close to my heritage and yes, many of us do lack fellowship in the atheistic modern world. It's definitely quite tough seeing how apart from one's culture people are and very difficult to associate with those kind of people that seem to be the majority. Hopefully it will change for the better one day :).
Just have a little patients, discipline, and stick with whats yours (your culture and Faith), you can do it alone. I practice alone too, I have practised Stadhagaldr and my own made up fighting system based off the Runes. It is an easy way out to just pay a membership fee at you local karate dojo and get belt in no time, but there is nothing more powerful than doing it yourself with tools used from your Faith, Culture, and self discipline! You will get to know yourself better and more strongly. Heil the Gods! Good luck!