PDA

View Full Version : Pastie recipes anyone?

ladybright
Saturday, December 23rd, 2006, 06:38 PM
Every year I have my mother in law buy pasties at the Finn festival for me. I would like a recipe that is authentic so I can make good ones at home. She always werves them with beef gravy. Is that traditional? She is 3/4 german and 1/4 portugese and so does not have a family recipe. She learned to love pasties growing up in Detroit in the 50's when there were alot of ethnic neighborhoods.

Ælfhere
Saturday, December 23rd, 2006, 08:14 PM
Pasties are quite good, I've only had the store bought frozen kind though.

NatRev
Sunday, December 24th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Went to Cornwall during the summer.

I don't eat meat but the missus does, but we both bought some lovely pasties over there.

The Cornish tradition is to have one half of the pasty savoury with meat, onion etc, and the other side sweet with jam or fruit.

http://www.jamboree.freedom-in-education.co.uk/cookingetc/cornish%20pasty.htm

Did you know the *spine* of the pasty was traditionally given to the 'fairies' in the old tin mines. A tradition that's not as daft as it sounds. In the olden days, the mining of tin was a major industry in Cornwall and the men would take a pasty to lunch with them. They had no running water to wash their hands so their hands were filthy and had toxic residue from the mines. They would hold the *spine* and get only that dirty and leave the spine for the wee folk. It was either that or have a week off ill with food poisoning. :doh

Enjoy.

ladybright
Saturday, January 20th, 2007, 05:47 AM
http://www.gailmartin.com/images/Pastie.JPG
I did not find any recipes that seemed perfect so I just guessed. Some recipes said that carrots were 'low class' some recommended MSG . Some articles mentioned fruit in part of the pastie. I used a firm all fruit Fig preserves. Tasty but it would be easier to do them seperately. That corner of the pastie wanted to burn by the time the rest was finished baking.

I used commercial pie crust. Lard crusts are hard to find but my piecrusts tend to be too soft for something like this.

I used 2 parsnips, 2 carrots, 2 yukon gold potatoes, 1 onion, 1/2 small rutabaga (swede). All diced 1/3 "
4-6 oz chuck steak, 4-6 oz pork shoulder steak 1/2" dice
I mixed them in a large bowl with 1 cup of vegetable stock and 1 tsp allspice.

I divided the crusts into four sections and put 1 1/2 cup mixture.
Cover with another crust piece. Crimp edges. Makes 8 with enough filling left over for a serving of soup.

Bake at 350F for 45-60 minutes.

If you double wrap them in foil they freeze very well.

By the way That is not my picture. I keep forgetting to take a picture until after I eat. http://www.gailmartin.com/gails%20kitchen.htm#Cornish%20Pasties has an Ok recipe but I do not like powdered bullion.

I just found a picture of one of my pasties with figs in the corner.

Gorm the Old
Saturday, January 20th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Well, this one looks good and I shall try it. Thanks. :P