PDA

View Full Version : Karelian Pie (Karjalan piirakka)

ladybright
Saturday, December 23rd, 2006, 02:56 AM
I found this on another website posted by Spirt of Fire and think it looks great. Has anyone here made it? The rye flour that I have is rather rough ground would that be a problem?

Karelian Pie (Karjalan piirakka) is a favorite Finnish dish. It is made with Rye crust, filled with rice pudding or mashed potatoes, and baked. Boiled egg-butter is spread on top. You've got to try this! Just one of the many Karelian foods enjoyed today by every Finn.

Karelian rye-crusted pastries with egg butter

Filling
2 cups water
1 cup uncooked rice
2 cups milk
salt
Crust
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup rye flour
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
Baste
1/2 cup butter melted
Egg Butter
1/2 cup butter at room temperature
2 hard-boiled egg, chopped
pinch freshly ground white pepper (optional)
pinchd ground ginger (optional)

For the Filling
In a saucepan combine the water and rice. Bring to a boil.
Stir, cover, and cook over low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the milk, cover, and continue cooking until the milk is completely absorbed and the rice is soft and creamy.
Season with salt. Preheat oven to 500 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. To prepare the pastry, in a medium-sized bowl, combine the water, salt, and rye and white flours to make a stiff dough.
Shape the dough into a log and cut into 16 parts. Shape eah part into a round.
On a lightly floured board, roll out each round into a 6-inch circle.

Spread about 3 tablespoons of filling evenly on each round. Fold two opposite edges of the pastry over the filling and crimp the edges of the dough toward the center to make an oval-shaped pastry, allowing about 1/2-inch of the crust to overlay the filling and leaving the center of the filling exposed. Place on the prepared baking sheet. In a small bowl, stir together the melted butter and hot milk and brush on the pastries. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, brushing once during baking, until the pastries are golden on the edges. Remove from the oven and brush again.
Spread about 3 tablespoons of filling evenly on each round. Fold two opposite edges of the pastry over the filling and crimp the edges of the dough toward the center to make an oval-shaped pastry, allowing about 1/2-inch of the crust to overlay the filling and leaving the center of the filling exposed. Place on the prepared baking sheet. In a small bowl, stir together the melted butter and hot milk and brush on the pastries. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, brushing once during baking, until the pastries are golden on the edges. Remove from the oven and brush again.

To prepare the egg butter, ina small bowl, cream the butter. Stir in the eggs. Season with the white pepper and ground ginger, if desired. Serve the egg butter at room temperature. Cool the pastrises and serve with the egg butter.

For the Egg Butter
In a small bowl, cream the butter. Stir in the eggs. Season wiht the white pepper and ground ginger, if desired. Serve the egg butter at room temperature. Cool the pastries and server with the egg butter.
16 pastries, 1 cup egg butter

Gorm the Old
Saturday, December 23rd, 2006, 03:25 PM
At first,I thought that this was another name for Karjalan paasti, but that is a meat pie. The piirakka sounds very tasty. :P I may try to make them sometime. Thanks for the recipe. :)

Death and the Sun
Saturday, December 23rd, 2006, 03:45 PM
At first,I thought that this was another name for Karjalan paasti, but that is a meat pie.

Actually Karjalanpaisti is a meat stew, not a pie. ;)

http://virtual.finland.fi/finfo/images/food/recip5.jpg

Gorm the Old
Sunday, December 24th, 2006, 03:12 AM
Yes, Eldritch, I should have known that. Although I neither speak nor read Finnish, I am fascinated by Finnish culture and cuisine. I have the recipe for Karjalanpaisti, which I plan to make some time, and I now remember that it is a stew. Thanks for jogging my memory. :scratch:

Spirit of Fire
Sunday, December 24th, 2006, 05:38 AM
I love Karjalanpiirakka. It was my favorite breakfast food but FInnish freinsd said it isnot abreakfast thing. WellI don't care I still enjoy it with some butter and cheese for breakfast. I always bring bunch whenever I come back from Finland.

ladybright
Monday, January 1st, 2007, 03:18 AM
I made them this morning. :) The filling and egg butter were tasty. The shells turned out quite hard though.:( Next time I will have to turn my oven down to 400 F.