PDA

View Full Version : How do you imagine the gods?

Ælfhere
Sunday, December 17th, 2006, 06:43 PM
If the gods were to come to Midgard in human form this is how I'd imagine them. I suppose this is what you'd call my Unverified Personal Gnosis. Do share your thoughts on what you think the gods and goddesses are like.

Odin – I can’t help but see Odin as he is depicted in the book “American Gods” by Neil Gaiman. He can disguise himself as the senile old guy in a rest home who likes to tell dirty jokes when he wants to fool people, but remains the Allfather, wisest of the gods. Odin likes to keep pushing his children on to become more than what they are. He’ll slap you in the face when he thinks you’re not evolving quick enough. He is the ‘far-sighted’ doing things which confuse other people but for our benefit in the long run.

Thor – In human form I imagine Thor wearing a plaid shirt and a tool belt. The down-to-earth guy who is a loyal friend and fun to drink with at a bar. He is the god of the working man, the “wage slave”. You get mugged while walking down the street, Thor is the friend who grabs the mugger from behind and bashes his face into a brick wall.

Freya – An extremely attractive woman in her mid-twenties. I don’t think of her as a busty supermodel or the half-naked warrior woman wearing an iron bikini, but more like the ‘girl next door’ type. I think of her as being stylish but also intelligent and wise beyond her years. She’s very kind and looks you in the eyes when you talk to her, with a sincere interest in what you have to say. She’s like the nice preppy girl in high school who befriends the all geeks and nerds.

Gorm the Old
Monday, December 18th, 2006, 12:57 AM
I imagine them all as invisible, inaccessible Powers.

Ewergrin
Monday, December 18th, 2006, 11:21 PM
I used to imagine them with human characteristics, but I have given up on it. You simply cannot personify such force and power.

I believe in the forces themselves, not man-made idols in human form.

Of course, it's natural to put a "face" on the gods. It's how humans have coped with our own meager significance in a universe that we cannot even begin to comprehend.

Blood_Axis
Tuesday, December 19th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Freya – An extremely attractive woman in her mid-twenties. I don’t think of her as a busty supermodel or the half-naked warrior woman wearing an iron bikini, but more like the ‘girl next door’ type. I think of her as being stylish but also intelligent and wise beyond her years. She’s very kind and looks you in the eyes when you talk to her, with a sincere interest in what you have to say. She’s like the nice preppy girl in high school who befriends the all geeks and nerds.

I extremely liked this depiction of Freya, by swedish Oriflame Cosmetics :thumbsup

http://orinews.pl.ru/img/t/t93.jpg http://www.oriflame.com/campaign/pics/ecards/wild_beautiful.jpg

It is down-to-earth & modern, yet dreamy & goddess-like at the same time. ;)

P.S. For the BuB ladies: the perfume (http://www.svet-oriflame.cz/imgs/products/freya/7698_main.jpg) rules, if you haven't tried it already :)

klokkwerx
Monday, January 8th, 2007, 11:26 PM
I imagine them with human characteristics, invisible, mighty, holy, pure powers, natural forces that cannot be totally explained. You have to keep an eye peeled to notice them when they do present themselves to you.

saga
Tuesday, January 9th, 2007, 01:29 AM
Well, my favorite was Thor as a child, and I saw him as a human endowed with Godly powers. When I was a little child and terrified of electrical storms, my father told me that his father used to tell him that the storm was due to Thor. The lightning was from Thor's hammer hitting the rocks when he threw it...the thunder was from Thor's cart as it rolled over a wooden bridge. I was not so frightened of storms after that, lol. It's hard for me not to imagine the Gods with human attributes. They are all described with human appearances and human nature, after all.

Gorm the Old
Tuesday, January 9th, 2007, 03:00 AM
Henotheistically, I regard them all as aspects of a single Supreme Being which is nameless (Well, the Hindus call it Brahman.) inconceivable, and incomprehensible. Anything one can say about this entity is false by virtue (?) of utter inadequacy.

Human minds cannot deal with such an entity. We can't conceive of it without applying inappropriate attributes to it. We can't comprehend it without applying human motivations to it. Anything we can think of is too anthropomorphic.

The potentialities and capabilities of such a being are infinite. Out of that infinity, we select certain aspects which are of concern to us and personify them, thus inventing imaginary gods. However, these gods do represent some real aspects of the Supreme Being and so, must have some connection with it.

We cannot relate to the remote alien Supreme Being, but we CAN relate to the gods. They are fitting objects of veneration for human beings, being both conceivable and (somewhat) comprehensible. As the Hindus recognised long ago, inasmuch as different persons have different spiritual needs, it is asking much for a single anthropomorphic god to satisfy the needs of all. :doh

Hence a multiplicity of gods. For every man's needs, there is an appropriate god. In Hinduism, this is carried to an extreme, resulting in 10's of thousands of gods. The AEsir and Vanir offer a less varied spiritual smorgasbord than does the Hindu pantheon. Still, every Asatru devotee feels a kinship to a particular god which comes closest to satisfying his/her spiritual needs. :redbeard

Leofric
Sunday, March 18th, 2007, 01:01 AM
I see the gods as people, like you and me.

There are differences of course. I see them as better looking than we are. I also see them as the kind of people who have really deep eyes. Some people you meet have really deep eyes, and it looks like they have a great deal of depth behind them. I see the gods as having that kind of depth, only to a much greater degree.

I look forward to meeting them after I die so I can put a better image to them, though.

I do think they're the kind of people that would really stand out in a crowd. If you met one of the gods here among men, you'd know something was different about him or her. But they wouldn't stand out the way materialistic people stand out. It would be very different.

I think the overwhelming attribute of their appearance would be their force of character. They could be wearing neon-orange zoot suits or be completely naked and you wouldn't even notice compared to the power of the personal, individual character in each of them.

I've met people who are more like that than I am. I picture the gods as being more like that than everyone.

Kith of woden
Sunday, March 18th, 2007, 11:48 AM
I imagine them all as invisible, inaccessible Powers.

I imagine them as invisable too. But I wouldnt worship them if I thought them inaccesible,sure some are harder to conect with, and being quite new to odinism not all our deitys have "revealed "themselves to me(that im aware of).But I will continue to try and gain insight, I know for instance that sometimes when I have been really "down" and have asked Thor for the strength to stand up to my problems and face them ,then I have been uplifted by the great thunderers presence. I never beg ,or selfishly ask the gods and godesses to eradicate a problem, life I believe is a testing ground,and problems are inevitable, I ask for guidence to be strong and face those problems head on, to live life correctly. I will learn from these experiences and become a better person,so that I may be a beacon for those who I love ,my kith and kin and mother jorth.Waes Hael!:D

Kith of woden
Sunday, March 18th, 2007, 11:56 AM
I extremely liked this depiction of Freya, by swedish Oriflame Cosmetics :thumbsup

http://orinews.pl.ru/img/t/t93.jpg http://www.oriflame.com/campaign/pics/ecards/wild_beautiful.jpg

It is down-to-earth & modern, yet dreamy & goddess-like at the same time. ;)

P.S. For the BuB ladies: the perfume (http://www.svet-oriflame.cz/imgs/products/freya/7698_main.jpg) rules, if you haven't tried it already :)

Hey Blood Axis, just thanks for the picture anyway(gorgeous), I can see why someone would depict her as a godesslol:D :D :D

Grimsteinr
Sunday, March 18th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Well, certainly, as a Polytheistic Northern Heathen, I believe that The Gods, are Real, Living, Breathing Beings.
Yes, I believe They do walk among us, in Similar Form as they are related, in the Lore.

I think Odin comes among us, as an older, wiser man, probably a strong,
Leader type. A Fellow who could sit down beside you on a train or bus, or
in a restaurant or bar, across from you. He would talk to you. And, you'd
know that His Words were Truth, as He had the experience to speak it.
He might give you advice or steer yoou in a certain direction, of benefit
to the Folk. But, not necessarily to your own best benefit.

I think, perhaps Thor might take the guise of a strong, supportive Friend, or
relative that'd be there to get you through a rough time, as your own strength is failing. He'd offer that helping hand, that arm across your shoulder,
that bouys you up & gives you new energy.

Perhaps Freyja comes into a life, appearing as an ingenue, or a sexy young
lady, to help a man along, for awhile. Or She might, be a girl's very feminine Friend, helping with wise advice, or suggestions.

Sif, of course, would come into our lives to Bless us with the benefits of Her
Fertility, to make our Lives more prosperous, or blessed with a pregnancy.

Frigg, would no doubt, be the Older, Motherly Friend, giving sage advice to a young mother, about making a better Home for the Family, better care, for the Kinder.Maybe she'd even babysit.

But, I think that it is not Just the Gods.........Who walk among & with us.

I think the Valkyries, also are frequently here.........When they are needed,
to lead a man, or woman, in the right direction, in order that the person might
reach Folkvang or Valhalla.
I think, perhaps Valkyries take a direct Hand in Human affairs, much as I am
Convinced that the NORNS take direct actions, in bringing us to "Where we Need to Be".

Now, I, nor any one else, knows for sure. This is the Way I see it.
I Believe it to be True, as I am TRU.
Asatru is the Context, within which I Live My Life, All day Every Day.
It's the best I can do, AISI.
YMMV.

enslaved1896
Sunday, March 18th, 2007, 10:20 PM
I think we see the gods in our own special way.

For example, Hella, to me, is a beautiful, pale goth-looking lady with dark brown hair and cornsolk blue eyes. And she as a sort of attitude akin to Angelina Jolie, but comes across as a very tragic character as well.

I should know, I dreamed about her :)

No two people will think the same about a simialr diety, but that is how they communicate with us.

Grimsteinr
Monday, March 19th, 2007, 01:03 PM
We do each see the Gods, Goddesses and Wights, in our own Way,
through the Eyes of our Own Experiences.

And, that is why we speak of UPG's, but sparingly. Well, most of us.
UPG's are very "Personal". And, they are "Unusual" or "Unsubstanciated".

But for the person involved, they are , or appear to be very Real.
And, they give the person involved a feeling or experience of "Closeness
and Knowledge" of and with the God or Wight involved.

This "Gnossis" is a nebulous, esoteric thing. Some Folks are open to it.
And, some are not. And, some experience it, without any prior knowledge
that it may exist, or how it works. Gnossis is not something you can "Will to happen". It just does........

I have studied a bit of the Esoteric, over many years. It is interesting.

And, here again, All of this is just the Way, I see this whole thing.
That's why I put"AISI" = As I See IT.
And, "YMMV" = Your Mileage May Vary.
These hold true in many of my posts.
Have Fun.

armourdis
Sunday, May 20th, 2007, 03:39 AM
Thank you for this post, Torquil.

To me, the Gods are both unchanging and shifting in their apprearance, as contradictioray as that sounds. They will always remain as deities: wise intellectually and in experience, and as the medium between myself and my greater destiny as laid out by the Norns. However, they are also my perpetual companions, who hike beside me and cook with me and share in my daily experiences, regardless of whether or not I am fully aware of them. Bear in mind that I don't mean to say that I sit down to the proverbial teaparty with them, but rather that they are constants in my life and it is only my perception of them that varies accordingly. Some days Skadi is the snowflake or the bitter wind that whips through the skyscrapers, other days she walks beside me and directs my eye to the hidden beauties of the forests in winter, and bids me to quiet my soul and just appreciate life. Sometimes Woden is the shrouded wanderer keeping pace with me across the street, others he is the runic magician who slips little lessons into daily life, and sometimes he is the Valfather who is instructing me in a life well-lived so that I can serve him better when my body dies. Regardless of how I visualize them in the moment, the Gods have an immutable presence that arises from their great depth of knowledge and experience and love, which both separates and perpetually binds them to humanity.

Do others have certain Gods that are more influential in their life than other Gods? And is it the same God(s) that started you on the path that you are currently on?