PDA

View Full Version : The Most Attractive Accent

nordicdusk
Sunday, December 3rd, 2006, 09:45 AM
I heard on the radio the other that a poll was done around the world to find which accent was the most attractive.I do not have all the results but the Iirsh accent came out top of the pole.I do not agree but maybe thats just that im from Ireland so hear it all the time.But i know for a fact that if some of these people that voted for the Irish accent have only heard Irish actors because there are a few places here that the accent is far far from attractive.Please give you opinion and what you think is the most attractive accent.

NatRev
Sunday, December 3rd, 2006, 10:47 AM
I think, in all honesty, all accents can be attractive to an extent.

Of course you can have a course and rather crass 'common' accent wherever you are from, but also a softer, more well spoken, not necessarily 'posh' but a more refined one.

I've been told I sound like a posh Sean Bean before. ;)

I can imagine that D. H. Lawrence spoke with a similar accent to mine as we are from the same town.

Lisa Burke is it, who does the weather on Sky News... now her accent is pure chocolate!!! :D

http://www.lisa-burke.co.uk/images/lisa-burke-image.jpg

Ælfhere
Tuesday, December 12th, 2006, 07:11 PM
I like the cockney accent! :D

NatRev
Tuesday, December 12th, 2006, 07:14 PM
I think it must be a 'Northern thing' but we always associate Cockneys with spivs and wide boys.

Mind you, I bet they think we all wear cloth caps and eat lard. :rolleyes:

Weg
Tuesday, December 12th, 2006, 07:19 PM
You mean English accent, right? I don't find all attractives but a lot are sympathetics.

Ælfhere
Tuesday, December 12th, 2006, 07:20 PM
I think it must be a 'Northern thing' but we always associate Cockneys with spivs and wide boys.

Mind you, I bet they think we all wear cloth caps and eat lard. :rolleyes:

OK I had to look that up :D :

The term Wide boy first appeared during the Second World War in the United Kingdom. Some enterprising people took it upon themselves to exploit rationing and do deals with American servicemen to supply locals with much needed luxuries like chocolate and nylons. Such characters were referred to as Wide boys. More recently it has come to mean anyone who flashes his material wealth around without any obvious means of getting it. Often associated with many forms of petty criminal behaviour. Del Boy from Only Fools and Horses, Flash Harry from the St Trinian's books and movies, Private Walker from Dad's Army and Arthur Daley from Minder are all fictional examples of the wide boy type, although the former is more precisely a spiv.

NatRev
Tuesday, December 12th, 2006, 07:38 PM
ROFL...

ha ha ha, yes sorry, using very English terms there ;)

A spiv is sort of trader that's a bit dubious and rather untrustworthy.

http://openday.open.ac.uk/img/photographs/spiv.jpg

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-spi3.htm

Are there any other stereotypes associated with accents?

I was going to write down a summary of British / Irish accents and their respective stereotypes but I didn't want to offend people. :eek

Gorm the Old
Wednesday, December 13th, 2006, 03:05 AM
I must admit that I find the Australian accent most charming. I do not mean the "pommified" upper-class accent, but rather the man-in-the street accent, rather like Steve Irwin. :beer:

Gagnraad
Wednesday, December 13th, 2006, 10:04 AM
The most attractive accent? Well, I do fancy Løtens-dialekta :)

If the poll is just for English accents, it must be the Irish or Scottish dialects :)

Pørdy Mountain
Wednesday, December 13th, 2006, 02:57 PM
The most attractive accent in Norway is Nordlansk! (Oh, and Trøndersk of course!)

The most attractive English accent, however, is Irish, Scottish and Australian. I have always wanted to be able to speak with an Irish accent, but it is impossible! When I try, it comes out as Australian (no kidding!)

Uí Fiachrach
Thursday, December 14th, 2006, 01:55 AM
I was going to write down a summary of British / Irish accents and their respective stereotypes but I didn't want to offend people. :eek

I don't see how writing down a summary of British/Irish accents would offend anyone?
If you made a summary of only Irish accents and not your own..Then it might offend, but when Britain is included, i.e self-mockery then any offence is null and void :D
That said sure to be sure arnt oirish accents the most lyrical in the world, and not at all at all would you be offending us:D(The past sentance has been brought to you by the U.S film industry.)

NatRev
Thursday, December 14th, 2006, 06:47 PM
aaw no, it's just that I'm a firm believer in regional pride, I'd hate to relate stereotypes to accents and seem a bit 'tw@ttish' if you get me by saying 'oh yeah all scousers are seen as crooks' etc... :rolleyes:

Yeah, our Yankish cousins never seem to get our accents right do they, we Anglo's are either upper class toffs or Dick Van Dyke cockneys...

'apples 'n' pears' and 'I say Bertie!' ;)

NatRev
Thursday, December 14th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Torquil, I just found this. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqIZWaOTX7M&mode=related&search=

This was my favourite song as a kid at school. :runaway

Ausswolf
Thursday, January 4th, 2007, 03:51 AM
Most Northern European accents do it for me :) Often depends more on the lady saying it haha.
In general I like Northern English accents as thats where my parents are from, and scottish. I think German sounds cool, as do the scandinavian accents of course and Old English which I find to be more pure, lyrical and 'deeper' somehow than modern english. I hate the New Zealand accent though :thumbsdow
When I was in Europe ladies seemed to like my Australian accent :P

Bridie
Wednesday, July 25th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Sexiest accents : German, French, Irish and Scottish (in that order). :) Some other accents that I haven't heard often enough to be familiar with, could be very sexy too for all I know. :D I think the Russian accent can be pretty sexy too actually.

Most annoying accents : any Asian accents whatsoever... from SE Asia to Pakistan... they ALL irritate the bejaysus out of me... :runaway

OneEnglishNorman
Wednesday, July 25th, 2007, 10:43 AM
IMHO the best English-speaking accent is Received Pronounciation together with it's (elitist) contemporaries in Scotland and East-coast United States.

In England it's not strange to change one's accent according to the surroundings. I vary between a fairly straight southern accent which sounds a little rural to something more colourless and clipped (RP-ish).

Accents which are easy to listen to are Western Irish, West Country English, Welsh, American accents (except Southern States or New York).

People from New Zealand seemingly sound a bit "plummy". Australian sounds like a mix of London cockney & Irish to me. Most Scottish accents are harsh on the ears as is Northern Irish.

Æmeric
Wednesday, July 25th, 2007, 03:33 PM
IMHO the best English-speaking accent is Received Pronounciation together with it's (elitist) contemporaries in Scotland and East-coast United States.

I think it sounds best when spoken by women. To an American ear it sounds very feminine.

Thusnelda
Wednesday, July 25th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Sexiest accents : German, French, Irish and Scottish (in that order). :)
Like these German Girls speaking English? ....the accent is very rough! *g* :D

(Oh, and to be honest: My accent is even more worse than theirs...;) )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtjDbZCp_VQ

Huzar
Wednesday, July 25th, 2007, 04:16 PM
For me the French, without dubt.

Allenson
Wednesday, July 25th, 2007, 05:12 PM

I had to look up the RP mentioned here--I'd never heard of that phrase before.

Anyway, I found a nice webpage with some examples on it:

http://www.yorku.ca/earmstro/speech/dialects/rp/index.html

"The count never wore trousers around the house." :P

Accents which are easy to listen to are Western Irish, West Country English, Welsh, American accents (except Southern States or New York).

As for the American south--it depends on who is speaking, in my opinion. Sometimes it can sound horrible but others sound quite nice to me--presidential candidate John Edwards has a nice, soft southern accent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1etlZaf6zUw

Actress Emily Proctor also has a nice southern drawl. She's got some other nice attributes too. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kJIjPjZoaU

And yeah, the New York accent is just plain awful.

OneEnglishNorman
Wednesday, July 25th, 2007, 05:25 PM
As for the American south--it depend on who is speaking, in my opinion.

Many times when I hear women from the American South speak, they do sound close to an English accent. Which surprises me, given the prevalence of Scottish & Ulster migration to the South (?) The upper class Boston accent is also a kind of subset, though I imagine it's dying out by now.

Americans generally sound closer to people from Southern England (especially Devon & Somerset) than Southern Englanders do to Northern Englanders.

Æmeric
Wednesday, July 25th, 2007, 05:42 PM
And yeah, the New York accent is just plain awful.
Which one? Theres the Italian, Jewish, Irish & Puerto Rican, New York accents. Not to mention ghettospeak. I hate them all.;)

Æmeric
Wednesday, July 25th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Many times when I hear women from the American South speak, they do sound close to an English accent. Which surprises me, given the prevalence of Scottish & Ulster migration to the South (?) The upper class Boston accent is also a kind of subset, though I imagine it's dying out by now.

Americans generally sound closer to people from Southern England (especially Devon & Somerset) than Southern Englanders do to Northern Englanders.
Most of the original settlers in the South were from Southern England. They were there for several generations before the settlers from North Britain & Ulster arrived.

Southern women are also perceived as the most feminine of American women & I believe it is because of the way they speak.

SmokyGod
Wednesday, July 25th, 2007, 06:49 PM
we have some bloody awful regional accents in America.

NYC, New Jersey, and Boston (or "Bahstan", if you're a local)

of course the slurred flurry of mispronunciations and grammatical crimes uttered by negros is brutal to listen to.

But we do have some nice accents here, too. Minnesota has a Scandanavian feel to it. Of course my favorite would be the sweet-sounding Southern drawl (when uttered by an auburn-haired Kentuckian lass). Damn I love the South.

Banjos, Mandolins, Fiddles, Moonshine, Shotguns, Pickup trucks, fishing, swimming, hunting, smoking...best part of the USA, i tell you what!

Allenson
Wednesday, July 25th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Which one? Theres the Italian, Jewish, Irish & Puerto Rican, New York accents. Not to mention ghettospeak. I hate them all.;)

Hmmm, I guess the Brooklyn type. "Yous guys" kind of thing.

And yeah, the Jewish New York tongue gets on my nerves too.

Kadu
Thursday, July 26th, 2007, 04:22 AM
The American accent sounds like English spoken by a Dutch, i find some affinities with the Irish accent too.
My favourite American accent is the Southern one:D.

imported_Blitz
Thursday, July 26th, 2007, 03:35 PM
The many accents of the American South are quite different from one another actually.

My favorite is the Savannah, Georgia purr.
It sounds refined and honey dripping and is easy to listen to and understand.

The Carolinas have their own sound, as does Virginia, and Mississippi, Alabama, and up into the hill country of Tennessee and Kentucky.

Louisiana Cajun has a pidgin French cadence that is entertaining, and Texas is large enough that the seperate regions all have a distinctive sound too.

My least favorite accents would be NY/Boston, gutter Mexican, and of course, all of the black dialects.

Ulf
Thursday, July 26th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Irish and PA German accents.

Ferryman
Tuesday, July 31st, 2007, 10:08 AM
The (edinburgh)scottish accent is coolest of 'em all!

Fafner
Thursday, August 2nd, 2007, 04:12 AM
From the British Islands, i would say the Scottish.

As I am from Argentina I would say the accent of the province of Córdoba. It's really funny and tranquilizing in men and too sexy in girls when they speak smoothly. I love it!!

You should come here to Argentina and take a look to the quantity of beautiful accents we have! :D

Hersir
Thursday, August 2nd, 2007, 08:59 PM
I feel really attracted to girls talking Stavanger or northern-Norway (Tromsø and other) dialects.