PDA

View Full Version : Freeganism. Yum yum!

Vanir
Saturday, November 25th, 2006, 12:51 AM
Not exactly my idea of noble hunter-gathering.

http://english.pravda.ru/img/idb/dumpster.jpg

Seriously though, typical "feel good" types, they'd rather eat from rubbish bins to feel they're doing something for the environment than raise the real issues of immigration/over-population/over-development that are killing the Earth. That is how deeply the taboo has penetrated.

Freeganism: eat from a dumpster is pink of fashion
link (http://english.pravda.ru/society/stories/23-11-2006/85630-dump-0)

Some thirty years ago the Soviet propaganda would paint horrifying pictures with regard to the “decay of the West” where the poor people had to forage through dumpsters for food. These days the propaganda clichés must be defunct. However, the number of Americans who get free food by pulling it intentionally out of the trash has been on the increase over the last several years. Those fellows are not homeless or mentally ill. They are freegans.

To many, a dump site is just a place where garbage and other worthless material are deposited. The place normally looks ugly and untidy so just a few people dare scavenger for useful material in the dumpsters, not to mention foraging them for food. Searching for food in the garbage is considered a practice appropriate for those who bottomed out e.g. the homeless, alcoholics, and beggars.

Reports on dump realities in this country are broadcast from time to time by Russian TV. The viewers can see dirty creatures crawling about the heaps of trash, searching for useful things e.g. wearable clothing or space parts made of non-ferrous metals. Female reporters with pretty faces speak for the benefit of the cameras that some of the scavengers made a fortune by foraging.

Pass your meal around if you haven’t finished it off

The situation seems entirely different in the United States . No doubt about, America has its own bums and the homeless who would not mind checking out the nearest dumpster. In the meantime, an increasingly large number of young and well-heeled Americans with top jobs and nice apartments choose to get their food for dinner from the garbage instead of buying it in a supermarket. It is obvious that their well-being has nothing to do an eerie practice. The young and successful advocates of an “anti-consumeristic ethic about eating” forage the dumpsters for food for ideological reasons, so to speak.

Freeganism originated in America at the turn of the 21st century. “Freegan” is a portmanteau of free and vegan. It is derived from the observation that even a vegan lifestyle is not free of exploitation. In fact, the original freeganism was one of the most radical forms of vegetarianism.

Vegetarians abstain from eating, wearing and using animal skins, flesh, secretions and animal-tested products. The freegans stuck to a vegan diet too yet they made use of a small loophole by saying that meat products could be consumed provided that they were obtained for free

Gorm the Old
Saturday, November 25th, 2006, 01:14 AM
These fools are courting botulism as well assorted other forms of food poisoning. :O

Sigurd
Saturday, November 25th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Not exactly my idea of noble hunter-gathering.

My friend, it is what we call "progress" these days. What was a mammoth in days bygone, later an aurochs, still later a boar, is now a container of litter; what was a spear, became a crossbow and yet later a rifle, is forthwith a hungry arm launching into mud.

Awww...come awn...it's fun and healthy too! :rolleyes:

The youth these days...:D

Sifsvina
Sunday, November 26th, 2006, 08:20 PM
I agree it's silly and it would be far more productive for them to learn how to grow their own food if they were really serious about "changing peoples mindsets" but that would entail too much real work. But they do highlight a sad aspect of american/modern decadence, that tons of perfectly good food gets thrown away. And not that I approve but from what I have gleaned before these people usually frequent dumpsters behind supermarkets that throw away large amounts of produce that is only slightly "imperfect". Chinatown leaves it's veggies out for sale much longer. I know restaurants in SF can't give their perfectly good leftovers, stuff from cooking not off plates, to homeless because it might hurt them. Though how that is more dangerous than digging that very same food out of a garbage can, mixed with actual garbage, baffles me.

Gorm the Old
Sunday, November 26th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Of course, they're making a statement and it reminds of a statement which the students sometimes made at the university where I taught. Every once in a while, someone would get the bright idea :idea: to ask the students to forego lunch one day to show their solidarity with the starving folk of Bangladesh or wherever.

They considered me an old spoil-sport when I pointed out that anything they denied themselves would not in any way benefit anyone else. As a child I was always told "Finish everything on your plate; there are poor children starving in Europe. " So, I ate everything on my plate and those ungrateful kids went right on starving. :rolleyes:

Ausswolf
Thursday, January 4th, 2007, 04:35 AM
I don't see the big deal. Supermarkets throw out food that has damaged packaging or passing its recommended date that day and the freegans pick it up that night from the dumpster. If they got sick from it, they wouldnt do it. I've never done it myself, but I don't see any problem with them eating food that would otherwise be thrown out.
We talk alot about the west being wastful consumerists blah blah, these guys are doing something about it and they get ripped on? I don't get it?
Is it cause their lefty uni students? I have to deal with them losers every day almost haha :(