PDA

View Full Version : Average European 'Is Overweight'

Willow
Tuesday, November 14th, 2006, 10:30 PM
I would have thought that Britain would be higher up the list...it's funny how in countries like France and Italy, they eat much more than people in Britain. When i was in italy, it was quite normal to have pasta for your first course, then maybe a pizza for your second course! And there's lots of olive oil on everything, which i love, but i find it strange that people in britain are so averse to having olive oil on food like that, but don't mind eating a greasy burger or sausages!Also, so much for the myth that eating pasta and bread make you fat! What utter crap!
Personally, i think the weight problem also has something to do with all those growth hormones they feed animals, so they can get even more meat. It's disgusting, and these things generally have a habit of coming back to bite everyone (for example, bse, bird flu etc...).

The Maltese and the Greeks are the heavyweights of Europe, figures from the European Commission reveal.

The Italians and French the most trim, while the average Briton - like the average European - is slightly over the ideal weight.

Obesity, which is linked to a range of health problems, including heart disease, is a growing problem across much of the developed world.

The Commission plans to launch a strategy to tackle obesity next year.

EUROPE'S HEAVYWEIGHTS
Malta - 26.6
Greece - 25.9
Finland - 25.8
Luxembourg - 25.7
Hungary - 25.6
Cyprus - 25.6
Lithuania - 25.5
Slovenia - 25.5
Denmark - 25.5
UK - 25.4
Body Mass Index figures
Obesity is measured by calculating body mass index (BMI).

A BMI of between 18.5 and 25 is considered healthy, between 25 and 30 overweight and above 30 obese.

The latest figures show that the average citizen in 20 EU countries, including the UK - where the average BMI is 25.4 - is overweight.

The average person in the other five, including Italy and France, is officially healthy.

Poor self-awareness

The Maltese recorded the highest average BMI at 26.6, the Italians the lowest, at 24.3.

SLIMMEST COUNTRIES
Italy - 24.3
France - 24.5
Austria - 24.8
Poland - 24.8
Netherlands - 24.9
Slovakia - 25.0
Belgium - 25.1
Latvia - 25.1
Estonia - 25.2
Czech Rep - 25.2
Body Mass Index figures

Despite the figures, only 38% of EU citizens consider themselves to be overweight, according to the poll of about 1,000 people in each of the 25 EU member states.

Most blamed a sedentary life for restricting their scope to be healthier.

Less than one third said they engaged in regular "intensive" physical activity.

And a large majority - 85% - said public authorities should play a stronger role in fighting obesity.

EU Health and Consumer Protection Commissioner Markos Kyprianou said: "This survey provides us with valuable insights into the concerns of EU citizens on health and nutrition."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/health/6148456.stm

Gorm the Old
Wednesday, November 15th, 2006, 02:43 AM
Well, well, well. As an American, let me say "Welcome to the club." It is balm to my heart to learn that other nations have an obesity problem also. I have too often heard our chubbiness attributed to typically American self-indulgence. :P

Are Europeans as sedentary as Americans, these days ? One does not tend to think of Europeans as "couch potatoes." Perhaps prosperity has something to do with overindulgence in food and drink. Remember the "well-upholstered" burghers and their families in the seventeenth century Dutch genre paintings.

In the 19th century, mainly in Europe, "embonpoint" (stoutness) , especially in the male, was considered evidence of both maturity and prosperity. Perhaps, then, more Europeans are prosperous than heretofore and give proof of it by their embonpoint.

So, well-to-do fatties of the world, REJOICE. You have arrived. :rolleyes:

Mathieu
Wednesday, November 15th, 2006, 02:47 AM
Yes, it is not only the food, but more the sedentary habits. It makes me boil inside when I see people going to the supermarket in car, and then taking their car again to drive to the next store who is only 20m away...

Gagnraad
Wednesday, November 15th, 2006, 09:12 PM
So what? Something extra on a woman/guy is just good IMHO. Nowadays everyone have to be thin like Hel to be accepted into the modern society, pathetic.

As they say in Norway: "Mer å ta i, mer å være glad i" = "More to touch, more to love" (Or something, may have translated wrong, but you get the point;))

nordicdusk
Wednesday, November 15th, 2006, 11:26 PM
So what? Something extra on a woman/guy is just good IMHO. Nowadays everyone have to be thin like Hel to be accepted into the modern society, pathetic.

As they say in Norway: "Mer å ta i, mer å være glad i" = "More to touch, more to love" (Or something, may have translated wrong, but you get the point;))
Could not agree more very well said i also really like what ye say in Norway.

Sifsvina
Thursday, November 16th, 2006, 03:36 AM
Olive oil, extra virgin that is, is one of the healthiest oils. Without good fats our brains do not function. Many "Low fat" items (the type with the fats taken out not the naturaly low kind) are loaded with crap and extra processed so that they are worthless and even detrimental to our bodies. People think they are actually doing something for themselves by eating these things but they are really just making it worse for their bodies. And we won't even go into the oxymoron that is diet soda:runaway Finding and affording actual healthy food is hard for most people, esspecially city dwellers, so I do sympathize. The media and advertising just make it all worse by feeding alot of bull info. It's easier just to grab the item marked "low fat" than actually making a real change in your life or having to actually look at how messed up things are that we are eating and feeding our families this low grade food and that's all that is availabe to most people. "First world county" what a joke.