PDA

View Full Version : Steve Irwin killed by stingray

Blutwölfin
Monday, September 4th, 2006, 06:12 AM
http://cache.aftenposten.no/multimedia/archive/00446/SINGAPORE_AUSTRALIA_446455g.jpg

THE Crocodile Man, Steve Irwin, is dead. He was killed in a freak accident in Cairns, police sources said.

It is understood he was killed by a sting-ray barb that went through his chest.

He was 44.

He was swimming off the Low Isles at Port Douglas filming an underwater documentary when the incident happened.

Ambulance officers confirmed they attended a reef fatality this morning at Batt Reef off Port Douglas.

It is understood Mr Irwin was killed around midday, Eastern Australian time.

Irwin leaves his wife Terri and young children Bob and and Bindi.

Source (http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,20349541-5001021,00.html)

Bodi_Donarsson
Monday, September 4th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Well, damn...I'm sad to see him go. Some folks considered him a joke, a tv novelty, but I thought he was the bravest man alive and also the craziest man alive, and I appreciated him for it. He really seemed to love what he did for a living.

Ewergrin
Monday, September 4th, 2006, 03:18 PM
I am saddened by this news, but I will not say that I am shocked. Any many who tempts fate as often as he does is bound to suffer the consequences, even when he least expects it.

nätdeutsch
Monday, September 4th, 2006, 03:31 PM
if the crocodile hunter is dead, what hope do the rest of us have?

death by stingray stab would be horrible. all the world is shocked, sorry to all the aussies on the board...

Zyklop
Monday, September 4th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Isn´t that the guy who used his child to bait a crocodile?

http://chronicle.augusta.com/images/headlines/012304/15516_512.jpg

Agrippa
Monday, September 4th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Didnt knew that neither - if thats for real he was an irresponsible fool. Its one thing to risk your own health and life, but another to risk that of your offspring or even that of other people for a show...

Pørdy Mountain
Monday, September 4th, 2006, 03:39 PM
:( I feel sorry about his death, and what an ironic way to go.. I always thought he seemed like a man full of life that really loved working with animals. A bit eccentric perhaps, but he always made me laugh with his big grin and "very Australian dialect". My thoughts go out to his wife and children.

Zyklop
Monday, September 4th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Didnt knew that neither - if thats for real he was an irresponsible fool. Its one thing to risk your own health and life, but another to risk that of your offspring or even that of other people for a show...Judge for yourself:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tsuTTxZvI9w

nätdeutsch
Monday, September 4th, 2006, 03:46 PM
he wasnt "baiting" per se, but it was risky.

apparantly he trusted crocs more that we do.

Agrippa
Monday, September 4th, 2006, 03:53 PM
he wasnt "baiting" per se, but it was risky.

apparantly he trusted crocs more that we do.

Well, he didnt died from a croc at least. But to exploit the own baby that way is in every case no sign for a reasonable and responsible character.

Bridie
Monday, September 4th, 2006, 04:03 PM
No need to be dragging this up (it's OLD news) and slagging off (the late) Steve Irwin on the day that he has died. Bad timing boys. :thumbdown

He was a great man with a big, big heart. True, he wasn't the most intelligent guy in the world, but with an adventurous spirit and caring heart like his, who cares.

In any case it doesn't matter now. What matters most is that his family (including a wife and two kids) and friends will be grieving for the loss of his life.

I agree that he seems Brunn + Nordid.

But to exploit the own baby that way is in every case no sign for a reasonable and responsible character.
I really don't think that he was exploiting his own baby. :| His lifestyle and way of looking at the world was so vastly different from yours, so you really can't judge. He was punished enough at the time for being out of line....

Agrippa
Monday, September 4th, 2006, 04:17 PM
The way I perceived him was exactly like that: Great heart, sympathetic, but not that intelligent. Yes, its a loss, but I dont think its necessary to speak of people which died as if they were saints and apparently he was none. Still he didnt deserved such a fate, even if it was "somehow predictable", his family is of course a victim too, so R.I.P. Steve Irwin...he will be remembered because of his entertaining show, overall likeable character and foolhardiness.

Bridie
Monday, September 4th, 2006, 04:24 PM
I dont think its necessary to speak of people which died as if they were saints and apparently he was none.
There are no saints in this world. I'm not saying that he shouldn't be criticised, God knows if it had have been my baby that he did that too I would have knocked his head clean off his shoulders! But you could at least wait until he's cold in his grave before you go judging and insulting him....

Like I said, timing....

nätdeutsch
Monday, September 4th, 2006, 04:26 PM
There are no saints in this world. I'm not saying that he shouldn't be criticised, God knows if it had have been my baby that he did that too I would have knocked his head clean off his shoulders! But you could at least wait until he's cold in his grave before you go judging and insulting him....

Like I said, timing....

likewise for heaping praise on him.

he was a good man, however.

Bridie
Monday, September 4th, 2006, 04:30 PM
likewise for heaping praise on him.
Excuse me?? Are you tapped in the head or something? You think that it's inappropriate to praise (or point out the good points of) someone that's just died? WTF do you expect will be said at his funeral??

Zyklop
Monday, September 4th, 2006, 04:31 PM
But you could at least wait until he's cold in his grave before you go judging and insulting him.... Why?

nätdeutsch
Monday, September 4th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Excuse me?? Are you tapped in the head or something? You think that it's inappropriate to praise (or point out the good points of) someone that's just died? WTF do you expect will be said at his funeral??

im just saying that if you dont want to hear criticism, dont give praise. lets say im sorry he died, prasie him if you like, i do. i think he was a great mind, but with such a high figure person, they have the benefits of praise, and the detractors of insult.

i have no problem with criticism as long it is not mean, and no problem with praise if it isnt foolhearted.

i for one will miss him.

Zyklop
Monday, September 4th, 2006, 04:43 PM
http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=65870

Flag-Soil
Monday, September 4th, 2006, 04:53 PM
People can be sanctimonious about other people's babies. Did the baby come to any harm? No. Did Steve want or would allow it to have come to any harm with all his experience and skills? Not even worth considering, he would have jumped in the crocodile's mouth to save the baby if anything happened. So lay off accusing people of not caring about their own children, because it's low.

Bridie
Monday, September 4th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Okay, for starters Zyklop that poll you started ignores what I said about timing... I never said that we shouldn't speak ill of the dead... just wait a while after they've died that's all. Until it's not so raw. It's about social formality and respect. Social decorum and consideration of the feelings of others are what separates us from savages.

Why?

Because when someone has just died and people are upset, it will only cause further upset to hear of the deceased being insulted and ridiculed. This is the reasoning behind the etiquette I suppose. And etiquette, even if it seems unecessary, is important to maintain social boundaries and cohesion.

I honestly can't believe that anyone would insult a (late) person who's just died that very day.... I mean is this just a cultural thing?? Surely it's taboo in Germany too?

Glenlivet
Monday, September 4th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Indeed, it is not very honourable or respectful to him and his relatives. The timing is very bad, I suppose it is easy to type a few negative things on a board. I would like people go up to his family at this very moment and say these incredibly rude things. Neither do I understand how one can judge his intelligence from a simple TV show which was not meant to be intellectual. One may even question if it was particularly educational. He was fun and daring. Besides, you have to have some intelligence to be able to handle these dangerous animals. He was meant to be fun and No one here (as far as I know) knew him personally.

Because when someone has just died and people are upset, it will only cause further upset to hear of the deceased being insulted and ridiculed.

Thruthheim
Monday, September 4th, 2006, 06:19 PM
People can be sanctimonious about other people's babies. Did the baby come to any harm? No. Did Steve want or would allow it to have come to any harm with all his experience and skills? Not even worth considering, he would have jumped in the crocodile's mouth to save the baby if anything happened. So lay off accusing people of not caring about their own children, it's low.

I guess Wacko Jacko shouldn't be judged either then, for dangling his baby out of a window at height ;)

Anglo-Canadian
Monday, September 4th, 2006, 06:25 PM
When I heard word that Steve Irwin had died I was deeply saddened. Loved his boyish good looks, huge enthusiam, and transparent love for all things living. I felt that it was the 'icing on the cake' after the powers that be took him off the air due to the incident with his toddler. I believe the baby was not at risk, (given Steve's supurb skills), and that the greatest concern would have been the impact on those less capable than he taking chances by emulating his actions. At that time, perhaps a repremand would have been in order, but to take him off the air the way they did was totally uncalled for. Now, he is gone for good. What a tragic loss.

Anglo-Canadian
Monday, September 4th, 2006, 06:28 PM
I guess Wacko Jacko shouldn't be judged either then, for dangling his baby out of a window at height ;)

Hmm, name Jacko and Irwin in the same sentence in any context? Please, this is going way too far. :thumbdown

Thruthheim
Monday, September 4th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Hmm, name Jacko and Irwin in the same sentence in any context? Please, this is going way too far. :thumbdown

What?
Both put their babies in what appears to be dangerous situations, and both felt they had full control and that there was no danger present.
Jacko and Irwin, that good enough ;)

OneEnglishNorman
Monday, September 4th, 2006, 06:47 PM
One single display of foolish bravado does not make someone a bad man; especially someone who lived dangerously on a regular basis.

Jackson spends his days shuffling about in pyjamas, then decided to hang a baby out of a window. Big difference.

Thruthheim
Monday, September 4th, 2006, 06:51 PM
One single display of foolish bravado does not make someone a bad man; especially someone who lived dangerously on a regular basis.

Jackson spends his days shuffling about in pyjamas, then decided to hang a baby out of a window. Big difference.

I never said he was a bad man.
I'm contrasting both actions as summarised earliar, of Jackson and Irwin.
Ignoring the people behind it, in any case, the actions were shocking.

OneEnglishNorman
Monday, September 4th, 2006, 06:55 PM
I never said he was a bad man.
I'm contrasting both actions as summarised earliar, of Jackson and Irwin.
Ignoring the people behind it, in any case, the actions were shocking.

A man who wrestles crocodiles 365 days a year is allowed to make one mistake in an animal pen.

The actions are only superficially comparable IMHO.

Irwin was foolish on that one occasion, Jackson was totally nuts and has a track record of being totally nuts.

Thruthheim
Monday, September 4th, 2006, 06:58 PM
A man who wrestles crocodiles 365 days a year is allowed to make one mistake in an animal pen.

The actions are only superficially comparable IMHO.

Irwin was foolish on that one occasion, Jackson was totally nuts and has a track record of being totally nuts.

Glad you said it, as that's all I ever said.
One occassion with a baby can be one occassion to many to be fair.

Anglo-Canadian
Monday, September 4th, 2006, 07:13 PM
I understand what you are trying to say, Thruthheim, and that the point of commonality that you were drawing was based on the appearancethat both put their infants at risk. In the case of Steve, I think at worst it was ill-advised for the reason I cited earlier. I believe, however, that on balance, given Steve's incredible skills any true parallels are specious at best. What if a gust of wind had caused Jacko's face to fall off of the balconey? In the shock of the moment, he might have dropped the baby:) I agree with Steve's defense, on the other hand: "there would have had to have been an earth-quake, tidel wave, etc. simultaneously".

nätdeutsch
Monday, September 4th, 2006, 07:13 PM
but jackson can moonwalk.....

Anglo-Canadian
Monday, September 4th, 2006, 07:17 PM
but jackson can moonwalk.....

Ha ha! Yup, you are right!:D At least his helpless son didn't have to sky-walk!:P

Pro-Alpine
Monday, September 4th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Stephen Robert "Steve" Irwin (February 22, 1962 – September 4, 2006)

For some reason i'm not supprised, i saw his television show a coupple of times, and all i saw was him pissing animals off.

Phoebe
Monday, September 4th, 2006, 07:40 PM
:( Im really sad for this lost... a white and good brother... a man wih a "white" family... i every see him programms and im really sad, he because was not so intelligente but, he would be respect, is a white lost for us...:(

nätdeutsch
Monday, September 4th, 2006, 09:17 PM
who care if he was white?
he was a human being, and a good one. thats what matters.

OneEnglishNorman
Monday, September 4th, 2006, 09:32 PM
who care if he was white?

Because "whites" bring inventiveness and creativity to the world, especially great characters such as Steve Irwin.

The world could lose a million Africans and no one would notice the difference.

nätdeutsch
Monday, September 4th, 2006, 09:37 PM
there have been plenty of inventive non-whites and plenty of idiot whites.

basing how good a person is when he has no merit on his race is stupid and pointless.

if you havent invented anything amazing, you are not better than an illiterate african. just because you come from sucessful stock doesnt mean you are.

go do something amazing which changes the world, then come back and tell me how creative you are.

I for one wont laud my race's accomplishments until i've added to them.

OneEnglishNorman
Monday, September 4th, 2006, 09:45 PM
there have been plenty of inventive non-whites and plenty of idiot whites.

Plenty of inventive Asians, plus some from the Arab world.

basing how good a person is when he has no merit on his race is stupid and pointless.

Basically I agree, but it does no harm to bemoan the loss of a good European.

if you havent invented anything amazing, you are not better than an illiterate african. just because you come from sucessful stock doesnt mean you are.

No, but it's a good indication. The record of Africans in Africa and their "settlements" elsewhere speaks for itself. They are uninhibited, near-sighted and intellectually feeble. I wish it was the other way but it isn't.

Phoebe
Monday, September 4th, 2006, 09:49 PM
i have found another to my "ignorer list"... :thumbdown

nätdeutsch
Monday, September 4th, 2006, 09:52 PM
the truth hurts, doesnt it?

OneEnglishNorman
Monday, September 4th, 2006, 09:55 PM
the truth hurts, doesnt it?

not as much as a stingray

Mannerheim
Monday, September 4th, 2006, 10:07 PM
I saw him on Conan O Brien and he sure was great and happy person.Very sad that he had to experience such a tragic destiny.

Oswiu
Tuesday, September 5th, 2006, 12:44 AM
Very sad.

I heard the sting got into his heart. How on Earth did he manage that?!?!?

Oswiu
Tuesday, September 5th, 2006, 03:18 AM
I for one wont laud my race's accomplishments until i've added to them.
Can I?

I built this deck, all by myself. It's even got a slight tilt to it to let the rainwater run off...
http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/3563/20060719june0003dp5.jpg

Theudiskaz
Tuesday, September 5th, 2006, 03:28 AM
Can I?

I built this deck, all by myself. It's even got a slight tilt to it to let the rainwater run off...
http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/3563/20060719june0003dp5.jpg
Now how many Africans could do that, Naetdeutsch?;)

Nicola_Canadian
Tuesday, September 5th, 2006, 03:30 AM
Now how many Africans could do that, Naetdeutsch?;)

I bet he hired an african to do it...:D

Oswiu
Tuesday, September 5th, 2006, 03:33 AM
I bet he hired an african to do it...:D
And how many Africans can do that? :D

Bridie
Tuesday, September 5th, 2006, 03:44 AM
That's a very impressive deck Oswee. :thumbup

I heard the sting got into his heart. How on Earth did he manage that?!?!?
Apparently he was filming a nature documentary (I heard something on the radio about it being a kids show for Bindi - his daughter). He was swimming directly above a sting-ray when it all of a sudden flipped it's barb up and it pierced his heart cavity causing a heart attack.

Another shocking thing about all this is that he deals with dangerous, aggressive animals all the time, yet in the end is killed by a placid, generally harmless sting-ray.

Also upsetting was that virtually that whole world knew about his death before his own wife and kids did.

I feel so very sad about this still. My son found out this morning and has been in tears for much of it. He seems most concerned that Bindi has lost her Dad.... "Will she get another dad now?" "No honey, she can't. You only get one dad". "But why". "Because your Dad helped to make you. You have his blood running through your veins"..... so many questions. So hard to answer. :~(

http://www.nndb.com/people/577/000022511/

freya3
Tuesday, September 5th, 2006, 06:06 AM
It is very sad :~( We had just started watching him w/our oldest daughter in the last couple of months. He truly loved being w/all animals and teaching us about them...

Tomas.
Tuesday, September 5th, 2006, 05:43 PM
What an unusual way to die. The last death from a stingray was in the 1940s. Although it is a sad accident, at least he died a respectable person and made something of his life.

nickymuench
Tuesday, September 5th, 2006, 06:29 PM
I`m very said about his death. But I`m a mother and the storys of his skandal with the little baby into the crocodile-terretorium is not ok. i was very angry to see that:mad:
But also i must say his telecastings was wonderful, interesting and exciting:)
But he die in his Job, he die on the thing he love. I am sure if he want die he want die like this

nätdeutsch
Tuesday, September 5th, 2006, 07:47 PM
thats a nice deck!

i built a deck for a community help project, and i can say first-hand, that they are no easy task

Blutwölfin
Tuesday, September 5th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Steve Irwin was videotaped pulling a poisonous stingray barb from his chest in his last moments of life, officials said Tuesday, as tributes poured in for TV's "Crocodile Hunter."

Police said there was nothing suspicious about Irwin's death and no evidence he provoked the animal. Irwin, 44, was stabbed through the heart on Monday while snorkeling with a stingray during filming of a new TV program on Australia's Great Barrier Reef.

John Stainton, Irwin's manager who was among the crew on the reef, said the fatal blow was caught on videotape, and described viewing the footage as having the "terrible" experience of watching a friend die.

"It shows that Steve came over the top of the ray and the tail came up, and spiked him here (in the chest), and he pulled it out and the next minute he's gone," Stainton told reporters in Cairns, where Irwin's body was taken for an autopsy.

Queensland state police were holding the tape as evidence for a coroner's inquiry — a standard procedure in high-profile deaths or those caused by other than natural causes.

Experts have said the stingray may have felt trapped between the cameraman and the TV star. Irwin, the popular host of "Crocodile Hunter," rose to fame by getting dangerously close to crocodiles, snakes and other beasts.

But Queensland Police Superintendent Michael Keating said there was no evidence Irwin threatened or intimidated the stingray, a normally placid species that only deploys its poisonous tail spines as a defense.

Stainton said Irwin was in his element in the Outback, but that he and Irwin had talked about the sea posing threats the star wasn't used to.

"If ever he was going to go, we always said it was going to be the ocean," Stainton said. "On land he was agile, quick-thinking, quick-moving and the ocean puts another element there that you have no control over."

Parliament took a break from the business of running the country to pay tribute to Irwin, whose body was being flown home Tuesday from Cairns. No funeral plans were announced but state Premier Peter Beattie said Irwin would be afforded a state funeral if his family agreed.

Irwin's American wife Terri, Bindi and their son Bob, almost 3, returned late Monday from a trekking vacation in Tasmania to Australia Zoo, the wildlife park where the family lived at Beerwah in Queensland's southeast.

At the park, hundreds of people filed past the entrance laying floral bouquets and handwritten condolence messages. Khaki shirts — a trademark of Irwin — were laid out for people to sign.

"Mate, you made the world a better place," read one poster left at the gate. "Steve, our hero, our legend, our wildlife warrior," read another. "I thought you were immortal. How I wish that was true," said a third.

The park opened Tuesday because it was what Irwin would have wanted, said Gail Gipp, an animal health employee.

Parliament interrupted its normal schedule so lawmakers could pay tribute to Irwin, whose body was flown home Tuesday from Cairns. No funeral plans were announced but state Premier Peter Beattie said Irwin would be afforded a state funeral if his family agreed.

"He was a genuine, one-off, remarkable Australian individual and I am distressed at his death," Prime Minister John Howard said.

Irwin was propelled to global fame after his TV shows, in which he regularly wrestled with crocodiles and went face-to-face with poisonous snakes and other wild animals, were shown around world on the Discovery Channel.

The network announced plans for a marathon screening of Irwin's work and a wildlife fund in his name.

"Rarely has the world embraced an animal enthusiast and conservationist as they did Steve Irwin," Discovery Networks International President Dawn McCall said in a statement.

Source (http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2006/09/05/irwinvideo_hum.html?category=animals&guid=20060905110000)

Outdoorsman
Wednesday, September 6th, 2006, 01:30 AM
I just saw a bit on CNN about his death. The newscaster (Wolf Blitzer) was saying that Irwin was killed by a stingray, and "Coming up next, how to protect yourself against stingrays!"

:O :doh Talk about sensationalist media...

nordicdusk
Tuesday, September 12th, 2006, 05:52 PM
This is such bad news i loved this guy he was great.I used to watch him with my ex all the time this is very very sad news.When i heard it first i just said its not true as it had been said so many times before but its a bad shock.He will be miss greatly by so many and myself.Ride on Steve.

Sigurd
Tuesday, September 12th, 2006, 06:43 PM
It is sad to hear. He was a brave man, who died doing what he liked best - to be around animals. May his memory be long preserved.

nickymuench
Thursday, October 19th, 2006, 01:47 PM
And now the famaly make money with his child? There make a show in the TV for her fathers Death. The famaly look like some Capitalist. The father is not a long time death and now der begin to make money again with the little girl:mad:

Walvater Wotan's Son
Wednesday, November 15th, 2006, 09:30 PM
:( He was a true hero who I look up to in every way. Let his name never be forgotten!

As for the family still making money...GOOD!

saga
Saturday, November 25th, 2006, 08:20 PM
And now the famaly make money with his child? There make a show in the TV for her fathers Death. The famaly look like some Capitalist. The father is not a long time death and now der begin to make money again with the little girl

I know it might look that way to some, but the money the Irwin family makes goes towards the purchase of more land for the purpose of preserving and protecting endangered species. Plus, I don't really feel his daughter is being exploited. I think she possesses a maturity that reaches beyond her tender years and may already be trying to fill her father's shoes. I hope she doesn't miss out on a normal childhood because of this, but I don't get the feeling that her family is forcing her into the forefront for self gain. I'm really going to miss that guy, I always found his enthusiasm endearing. R.I.P., Steve.

Rhydderch
Tuesday, November 28th, 2006, 04:09 AM
As far as bringing the baby near a crocodile is concerned, I don't remember the details, but I don't think it was as dangerous as it looked. Either the crocodile was restrained, or he had the situation well backed up.

The media made a huge fuss of it; presumably they didn't like him because his macho, not-feminised-enough behaviour was popular, not to mention the fact that he said Prime Minister John Howard is the best leader in the world; that was the end of him as far as the leftist media were concerned.

Denger
Tuesday, December 12th, 2006, 03:08 AM
R.I.P. the Crocodile Hunter! :( Hope his family could find a way to cope with the loss..

I haven't been able to watch that many of his shows, but he seemed like a dedicated conservationist, who made an unequalled contribution to Australia's tourism, as well as a great show host. Irwin also took many personal risks in order to spread his message across and familiarize children with animals.

Quotes from Steve Irwin:

I've probably saved thousands of peoples' lives with my educational message on snake bites, how to get in around venomous anything. Yeah, I'm a thrill seeker, but crikey, education's the most important thing.

Herein lies our problem. If we level that much land to grow rice and whatever, then no other animal could live there except for some insect pest species. Which is very unfortunate.

I believe that education is all about being excited about something. Seeing passion and enthusiasm helps push an educational message.

I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.

My dad taught me from my youngest childhood memories through these connections with Aboriginal and tribal people that you must always protect people's sacred status, regardless of the past.

Snakes are just very instinctive to me. I've been playing with snakes since before I could walk. It doesn't matter where or what it is, from the biggest to the most venomous.

When I talk to the camera, mate, it's not like I'm talking to the camera, I'm talking to you because I want to whip you around and plunk you right there with me.

Yeah, I think it's an absolute disaster that Australia, the government, allowed kangaroo culling.

You know, you can touch a stick of dynamite, but if you touch a venomous snake it'll turn around and bite you and kill you so fast it's not even funny

Tribute to Steve (thanks to a friend from another board):

http://media.putfile.com/Steve-4-eva

Vanir
Thursday, December 14th, 2006, 11:44 AM
And now the famaly make money with his child? There make a show in the TV for her fathers Death. The famaly look like some Capitalist. The father is not a long time death and now der begin to make money again with the little girl:mad:
With all due respect Nicky, you have got it all wrong, trust me.
The Media had their knives out for Steve Irwin from the moment he came out in support of the Conservative federal government here, appearing in public with the Prime Minister, not out of any deep political motive really, but simply because he saw the conservatives as pro-family and traditional values, who was also nominated for Australian of the Year.

Not the kind of man to genuinely risk the most precious thing in his life, wouldn't you say.

Every time I saw him on TV, all he would be talking about is his wife and his daughter, and how they meant everything to him.

The crocodile enclosure incident was simply the excuse the Media needed to destroy him. In other footage of the incident, from different angles, you can see all the other crocodile handlers in position to cover him. The danger was so minimal that even members of the audience there who were interviewed afterward said they didn't feel there was any real danger at all. They were there on the spot and said that. The night after the incident, Steve Irwin appeared on a current affairs show visibly upset, asking why the Media was demonizing him so, and why were they not showing the other footage which showed the true nature of the situation and how it was under control, rather than that one bit of footage that makes it look bad that the TV just kept playing over and over. I remember him in the interview with a viedotape in his hand saying "I have the tape right here, play it now! Please, show the viewers" They showed it once or twice, then I never saw it again, not even a still. They just kept playing the same footage calculated to present the incident in the worst possible light over and over.

He was a genuine person, with not a bad bone in his body, passionate about life, fascinated with Nature, and completely devoted to his wife and daughter. It was a sad day when he died.

On stingrays, they do grow very large. I have dived more times than I can remember with very large black rays, the largest would have been about 3m-4m across, it was absolutely monstrous. Like a collosal UFO underwater. 2m specimens are so common they are not even worth mentioning. Out at one of my regular fishing haunts, there are several massive rays like this, they come right up to the surface and look you in the eye, no fear of humans at all. Anyway, given the location of their tailspike, and the limited manner in which they can wield it, it is truly a freak occurence for one to actually kill someone. The Weirds truly had it in for Steve that day.

I'll have to take a photo of one next to the boat next time I'm out there. I have some underwater pictures of me and my mate diving with Grey Nurse and Bronze Whaler sharks around somewhere too. You never forget a 4m shark swimming past you literally only an inch away.