PDA

View Full Version : Plantains

Evolved
Monday, April 26th, 2004, 01:29 PM
I had the displeasure of eating a plantain. It looks like a larger banana (insert juvenile humor here :P), but it tastes nothing like. You have to wait until it turns black (for the sweetest flavor) and then cook it like a potato (it is too tough to eat raw). It stinks up the whole kitchen. I could not eat more than a bite of it, it tasted so gross- like sweet potato + mold. :puke

http://www.wegmans.com/kitchen/ingredients/produce/fruit/images/plantain.jpg

Anyone else ever eat them?

Newgrange
Monday, April 26th, 2004, 01:47 PM
The Chinese restaurant I buy from, sells them. They taste crappy.They also sell cheese wontons , which is strange
Chinese cheese ? :-O

Milesian
Monday, April 26th, 2004, 01:47 PM
Yeah, some supermarkets here actually sell them like bananas, as if they were interchangable. It wouldn't suprise me if they considered them as extra-value size bananas

They were fairly tasteless (uncooked) and tough as well.
Not something I would everythink to myself - "Mmmm...I could really go a Plantain now" ;)

Telperion
Monday, April 26th, 2004, 04:21 PM
You're not supposed to eat them raw. I find they are rather dull when boiled. However, they actually taste very good when fried in honey or maple syrup until the sugars caramelize, which makes them into a sort of candy. (I discovered that myself when trying to figure out how to get rid of a bunch of them that I had bought.)

Milesian
Monday, April 26th, 2004, 04:34 PM
You're not supposed to eat them raw

Yes, but this is Scotland. Apart from curry, most people here have little knowledge of ethnic foods ;)

Johannes de León
Monday, April 26th, 2004, 04:53 PM
that thing is aweful... i hate it... one time a friend of mine who is vegeterian, invited me and more people for a "vegetarian" dinner (of course lot's of people came up with meat! :P) and the dessert was that thing... i guess no one could eat that... it tastes so bad imo! :D

Telperion
Monday, April 26th, 2004, 04:53 PM
Yes, but this is Scotland. Apart from curry, most people here have little knowledge of ethnic foods ;)
My favourite ethnic food is the deep-fried Mars Bar. :D

Milesian
Monday, April 26th, 2004, 04:56 PM

Your a man of refined taste :D
Being the heart attack capital of Europe is a small price to pay for such culinery delights ;)

Laedifox
Monday, April 26th, 2004, 09:02 PM

:throwup

I'm North American. I guess I just don't get it ;(

As for plantains, if you don't cook em right, they taste terrible. But I guess that goes for most things...

berserkergrrl
Monday, April 26th, 2004, 10:48 PM
Well I am in the USA and I don't think I could eat a deep fried mars bar,I'll take mine plain thanx:P But I did like plantains when they were fried they tasted like squash or sweet potatoes to me.:D

Telperion
Tuesday, April 27th, 2004, 02:02 AM
:throwup

I'm North American. I guess I just don't get it ;(

I'm Canadian too, but that's no barrier to enjoying fine Scottish cuisine. A deep-fried Mars Bar goes down best as the dessert, following a main course of deep-fried Haggis and Chips. Mmmm, Haggis. Highly underated, in my opinion. I'd suggest Iron Brew as the beverage, to help clear the palate. ;)

(Yes, I have consumed all of that at one sitting, and lived to tell the tale. Still thin too.)

Telperion
Tuesday, April 27th, 2004, 02:04 AM
But I did like plantains when they were fried they tasted like squash or sweet potatoes to me.:D
Yes indeed. But I suppose everything tastes good when fried.:)

Esther_Helena
Tuesday, April 27th, 2004, 03:38 AM
nope, never tried plantains, don't intend to either. Starfruit is good, if a little bit bland. Ugli is okay too. Yes, there is a fruit called Ugli. I can't think of any other weird ones. My favorite are the UFO peaches. Their "flat" white peaches. Gads their soooo good. I hope they have them again this year. Strangest fruit... I can't spell it, but it's pronounced mus-keh-dine. Their like grapes. My grandparents have a vine. You have to wait till they're a golden color, then you bite into it, don't eat the "shell", it tastes sooo sweet. Only bad thing, it has the texture of snot.

AngryPotato
Tuesday, April 27th, 2004, 04:03 AM
Please ignore the rest of the post if you don't want to read a morons input.

I'm a big Family Guy fan and this is the first thing that popped into my head. I even did a screen capture of the DVD :P

Peter And Lois Family Guy Quotes
Chris: Hey, mom, look at these (little) bananas.
Peter: Why you smart little bastard.
Lois: Now Chris, these are called "plantains". In fact, most women prefer them to normal size bananas because they're exotic and flavorful.
Peter: Yeah, Lois, I see all the sorority girls clamoring for the plantain section.
http://quotations.about.com/cs/tvquotes/a/pet_loi_fg_quo.htm

Newgrange
Tuesday, April 27th, 2004, 11:44 AM
what's the deal with beans on toast in the U.K. ,doesn't seem worth the bother. here is a
link for Milesian if he is ever in New Jersey. New Jersey's Scottish community (http://home.comcast.net/~anay5/wwp/scotlandpop.htm) I have had fish and chips from the Argyle Restaurant, pretty good :)

salamander
Monday, May 10th, 2004, 04:07 AM
The Chinese restaurant I buy from, sells them. They taste crappy.They also sell cheese wontons , which is strange
Chinese cheese ? :-O

I make my Wontons from my homemade "tofu". Couse i add my own herbs and spices, and they tast delicious.

I don`t think what you hate was wontons made from cheese. Rather was made of "tofu". Wich is curdled like cheese, but is made from soy beans. And if you don`t get used to eat soy beans products, it will take sometime to get used to it.

Evolved
Monday, May 10th, 2004, 04:29 AM
I heard soy is bad for a man's testosterone. :confused

Anne14
Monday, May 10th, 2004, 05:03 AM
I must lead a sheltered life - I've never even heard of such a thing!

cosmocreator
Monday, May 10th, 2004, 07:20 AM

I'm sure they eat a lot of soy in China since that is where the plant (soy bean) originated. Yet, more than a billion people. :|

Turificator
Monday, May 10th, 2004, 10:07 AM
What the f**k is a plantain?? (and what's up with all this alien fruit anyway??)

No immigrant plantain will ever enter my autarchic home!! :D

BUY EUROPEAN!!

berserkergrrl
Monday, May 10th, 2004, 08:37 PM
What the f**k is a plantain?? (and what's up with all this alien fruit anyway??) LMAO!Its likely in the "exotic" foods section of your fruit/veggie dept! I have not been brave enough to try those UFO peaches!Look interesting!:P Yeah I know lots of stuff is good fried!Good,not good for me!;(

salamander
Tuesday, May 11th, 2004, 01:08 AM
This is a great site for plantains lovers and haters, with some nice pictures.

http://www.elboricua.com/platanos.html

salamander
Tuesday, May 11th, 2004, 01:55 AM

Soy beans contains "soy isoflavone".

Isoflavone is not converted into testosterone. Isoflavone has phytoestrogens (plant estrogens). Wich can suppliment the estrogen in our body.

Estrogen suppliments, is need by men and women, after the age of 25. When our body it start to decline to produce all the estrogen/testosterone that we need.

Contrary of the general believing, man and woman go throgh menopausal. Not just women. Men go throgh samething, but in different way.

In menopausal time: most women need more estrogen. But, some women have anough estrogen, but they lack of testosterone. Yes. we woman have both hormons. So are the men. They to have estrogen and testosterone.

Both sex, can be deficient in one of this hormones on our declining years. So, we need a supplements. for one or the other.

Soy beans is beneficial for both sex. Not just for the hormone replecement, but for stay healthy.

Also, soy beans, are very high in "lecithin" wich is good for memory.