PDA

View Full Version : 'Lifestyles of Health and Sustainability': A $227 billion market segment

Blutwölfin
Sunday, August 27th, 2006, 04:36 PM
LOHAS is an acronym for Lifestyles of Health and Sustainability. It is a $227 billion market segment in the United States alone but worldwide in its extent. LOHAS consumers are those who are passionate about the environment, sustainbility, social issues, and health. The marketplace includes goods and services such as:

Organic and natural food
Organic and natural personal care products
Hybrid and electric cars
Green and sustainable building
Energy efficient electronics/applicances
Socially responsible investing
Natural household products (paper goods and cleaning products)
Natural and preventive medicine (Naturopathic, Chinese medicine, etc.)
These consumers are variously referred to as cultural creatives, conscious consumers or LOHAS Consumers, and represent a sizable group in the United States: 17% of adults, or 36 million consumers.

In other countries these consumers are described, too, because it is suited well to the commercial interests of the organic food industry and tourism industry of the consumer culture. Although there is, for example, a tendency from fast food to slow food and an increase of ecologically produced food, it is doubtful whether this post-modern trend can be described with the concept of sustainability correctly.

More on that topic (http://www.lohas.com/)

What do you think about that? European countries such as Germany also have been hit by this phenomenon already. Something like "back to nature". Something that we have to take serious? A new and healthier way of life is coming? Or is it just a trend? If it is, it's at least a good one...

Bodi_Donarsson
Sunday, August 27th, 2006, 07:44 PM
I LOVE the idea, Runa! Our family has begun to eat more organic, healthy food, and when our house is finished, we're going to start a small farm. We plan on raising chickens for meat and eggs(this was my family's business when I grew up), goats for milk and meat, as well as fruit trees, berry bushes, and vegetables. It will take some time, but in a year or two, we hope to greatly reduce the amount of commercial food we intake and spend money on. We already support holistic medicine to a degree, and are working on getting onboard with a lot of other similar things for daily life. Go LOHAS!

nordicdusk
Thursday, August 31st, 2006, 10:32 AM
I LOVE the idea, Runa! Our family has begun to eat more organic, healthy food, and when our house is finished, we're going to start a small farm. We plan on raising chickens for meat and eggs(this was my family's business when I grew up), goats for milk and meat, as well as fruit trees, berry bushes, and vegetables. It will take some time, but in a year or two, we hope to greatly reduce the amount of commercial food we intake and spend money on. We already support holistic medicine to a degree, and are working on getting onboard with a lot of other similar things for daily life. Go LOHAS!
That is my dream to the last detail im sure you,ll get there long before me.Best of luck with it.May your animals and crops grow big and healty

Bodi_Donarsson
Thursday, August 31st, 2006, 12:37 PM
That is my dream to the last detail im sure you,ll get there long before me.Best of luck with it.May your animals and crops grow big and healty

Thanks, Nordicdusk! I personally don't want to do the chicken farm part of it, since I absolutely fucking hated raising chickens as a kid. Amazingly dumb animals, and a pain in the arse, to boot. Then again, what passes for a ganglion in their little heads isn't much bigger than the piece of corn they eat...

The rest of it I'm cool with, and can't wait to get started. We just closed on the construction loan, so ground-breaking should begin within the next two weeks. I was pleasantly surprised that our contractor didn't bat an eye when I informed him that there were special things that I needed to do during the process, to bless the house from the ground up. He was cool with it, and we're happy.

Rock on.

nordicdusk
Thursday, August 31st, 2006, 01:11 PM
Its great that there are open minded people left in the world that he just got on with the job no questions.